cherbtoo
Orca Whale
Orca Whale
22,629 Posts

Re:Your Comments and Reviews for Dream Chronicles: The Book of Air Collector's Edition

[Post New]by cherbtoo on Jun 26, 10 3:13 AM
erinbilly wrote: I was disappointed. I am a big fan of this series, have played the other three numerous times. This one was too short and way too simple. The puzzles were basically the same thing over and over again. No variety. The other three were much more complex and it held your attention from beginning to end. I was shocked when this one ended so quickly. It feels as if it was thrown together real fast just to get something on the market. If that was the case, I would preferred to have waited a bit longer for a better version. Definitely do not feel it was worth the $20.00 for the collectors edition. It felt like this was just a quick glimpse, almost like I played a demo or trial version instead of a full-on collectors edition. I love the other three so much that I just purchased the collectors edition instead of trying it for an hour. That was a mistake. I will probably play the next one that comes out but I will try the trial first. If its anything like this one. I will finish it before the hour is up and save myself some money.

Totally agree with your comments Erin: too short, too simple, no variety.

I ended up feeling really disappointed with it too as I did not feel that it had anything to do with the series whatsoever nor did I feel that it was worth the CE price. I just couldn't believe that was it .

The graphics and the music were very good though ... yes I actually kept the music on for this game unbelievable as that is. .

C

S1bby
Sea Anemone
Sea Anemone
3 Posts

Re:Your Comments and Reviews for Dream Chronicles: The Book of Air Collector's Edition

[Post New]by S1bby on Jun 26, 10 4:09 AM
I have emailed the helpdesk and asked for 1 game credit as compensation, I suggest that you all do the same.

xirone
Seahorse
Seahorse
32 Posts

[Post New]by xirone on Jun 26, 10 5:22 AM
I´ve been waiting a long time for this one must say the girls voice was odd and a bit annoying, it didn´t seem to belong to her ( or I just imagined she would sound different ). The puzzles was a bit easy but I did really love the game, this is a buy for me the 6,99 version that is, not worth the extras this time

[Post New]by Midnight715 on Jun 26, 10 8:39 AM
I'm so disappointed! I'm almost done. I loved the previous games. This game just doesn't live up to its predecessors! What happened? I don't think the artwork is all that great. Boring snooze fest. Regret buying.

[Post New]by kairee_anne on Jun 26, 10 9:11 AM
Loved the other DCs so I bought this one without demoing it ($19.95). Big mistake. WAIT FOR THE CHEAPER VERSION TO COME OUT! It took me 3 hours to play (without skipping puzzles) and the bonus material is a joke. Very simple picture puzzles to let you see concept art. Big Deal! This is the 2nd time I have bought a Collectors Edition and the 2nd time that I have been disappointed.

[Post New]by lindallk on Jun 26, 10 9:30 AM
I bought the game without trying it I was so excited. Loved the other games.What a let down and waste of 19.95 the game was short and it was not challenging. I will not buy the next one without trying it first.

gamedancer
Seahorse
Seahorse
31 Posts

[Post New]by gamedancer on Jun 26, 10 12:05 PM
I have waited for this game so long. But I am disapointed in it. It is too short and
the bonus chapter is short and I didn't understand about the pictures that changed from a drawing to picture. Do you do something with that? Also just haviing a puzzle to do and then it's over. I liked the first part and was looking forward to some good adventures. Wish I had waited for 6.99 game. Very sadden about my favorite game.

Oh well another one will be along. Gamedancer

Edited on 06/26/2010 at 12:06:39 PM PST

[Post New]by BellaSwan_Cullen on Jun 26, 10 12:17 PM
Been waiting for this one FOREVER!! Loved the demo and can not wait 2-3 weeks for the regular edition. Love the fact that you can skip pizzles, although I haven't used it yet Im enjoying the puzzles so much. Love the fact that the dream pieces, when collected, can be used as powers. COOL! This one definitely gets a from me

fauxgina
Seahorse
Seahorse
38 Posts

[Post New]by fauxgina on Jun 26, 10 12:27 PM
I'm really surprised by the number of people saying they were disappointed with the CE for this game... normally CEs attract what I consider to be too much positivity.

I'm not buying the CE because I was disappointed with the last DC game and I don't want to feel cheated. However, I will buy the SE of this game because I -- even though I seem to be in the minority here -- actually like the direction Dream Chronicles is heading with this. You travel around in an airship, and I enjoy the interaction with the map and the little teaser clues that tell you what to expect in that area. Maybe it's a small feature of the game to enjoy, but I really like it. I, like Bella, enjoy the fact that the Dream Pieces give you powers.

As always, the graphics and design of the game are gorgeous. I don't know why the main character has to have a voice now -- the fake English accent and the tone of her voice are really grating -- but it's good to know I can turn that off without sacrificing the music or other sounds.

I look forward to continuing my game when the SE comes out.

Edited on 06/26/2010 at 12:28:39 PM PST

[Post New]by ebenavram on Jun 26, 10 12:41 PM
This is the last time I buy a collector's edition. I really liked the first three but this one was as if it is for first graders. And what do you get for the extra 17$? Not very much at all.

krissywillow
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,084 Posts

[Post New]by krissywillow on Jun 26, 10 12:50 PM
(wow. Rarely have I read so many (almost all) negative comments about a CE. BFG really needs to rethink what they are doing with "collector's editions". I hope they are paying attention to this thread.)

[Post New]by igiveup2007 on Jun 26, 10 1:50 PM
Well i did the whole game not worth the 20.00 interesting but way to short compared to the other Chronicles I taught it was a joke when it was finish did it in a couple of hours and then you see bonus game that does not go very far only to the next Chronicles to come will think twice before buying the next one

Very disapointing! Total garbage!!

[Post New]by militarymommy on Jun 26, 10 3:30 PM
I was so angry when I was done with the game - in 2 hrs, I might add - I sat there staring at my computer screen in disbelief!
Let me start with the Pro's while I can still think of any:
Nice graphics, carried over from 1,2 and 3
Lyra's voice was exactly what I thought it would sound like - I didn't mind it at all and thought she was cute.
Honestly, that is about all I can say on the good end of things!!
It was way short on tme - the first 3 were a good length of play time and totally kept you immersed in the game play.
This one does, indeed, leave out the 'dream' quality the others had, the puzzles are so easy it leads one to think they will get harder as the game goes forward, which they don't, it just stunk all the way around!
Puzzles way to easy, game so short I thought it was just chapter 1, seemed more like one they may have made as a beginning game 4, not the entire game! This is not even worth it if it were on the $2.99 special board - save your money!! Shame on these developers!!!! You are better than this garbage you sold us out on this time!!!

sammiekatz
Squid
Squid
60 Posts

Very Disappointed!!!

[Post New]by sammiekatz on Jun 26, 10 5:09 PM
I was soooo happy and excited to see a new dream chronicles that I didn't even demo it and just bought it. I am pretty disappointed. It doesn't come close to the other series. You don't even have to think about things cause the grandfather is walking you through the whole thing. Too much help;, way, way too short and rather boring. None of that tenseness and brain wracking that I love in the other series. The bonus chapter is nothing to sneeze at and not worth the extra money. This is the second time I have been stung by a collector's edition. Not pleased!!!

What a waste of $20

[Post New]by mrsmark on Jun 26, 10 9:21 PM
I felt exactly the same way as sammiekatz, and also bought the CE without trying out the demo. What a disappointment. This is the first CE I've purchased. I won't make the same mistake again.

Slavicdiva
Guppy
Guppy
176 Posts

[Post New]by Slavicdiva on Jun 26, 10 10:54 PM
I was also extremely disappointed in this game, and feel ripped off. In addition to the way-too-short length, way-too-repetitive puzzles, and lack of a cohesive storyline, I would like to add the following:

The voice acting. Ack! I don't know if Lyra is affecting a British accent or if she is a Brit with a speech impediment, but I just kept wishing she would shut up! She's supposed to be 18 or so, but I wasn't sure whether she sounded too babyish or too middle-aged! It was just dreadful.

The grandfather was a better voice actor, but was it really necessary to have a note from him in every single scene? That got very old and very annoying after about the first 10 minutes.

Worst of all, I did not identify with nor empathize with Lyra at all. In the previous 3 games playing as her mother, I had a real sense of her distress over her missing family, and her confusion at what happened to them. I felt like I grew along with the game as the character strove to understand the world of magic and how to interact with it.

In this game, I never got any real sense of 3-dimensionality from the character; instead, Lyra seemed to be a "wallpaper" to hang a series of repetitive puzzles on. I felt nothing for her at all, and coupled with her annoying voice, I kinda ended up hoping she'd get eaten by something, or offed by the clockmaker. Yep, no identification with or empathy for Lyra at all.

The promised "sneak preview" of the next game is nothing of the sort - just some repetitive word-scrambles and boring jigsaw puzzles, and ends so abruptly that I really didn't know it was over. Bad show there, guys.

The developers seem to have phoned this one in. Offering it for $20 is insulting to fans of the series and BF customers in general. I will not be buying any more CEs for Dream Chronicles.

[Post New]by amelienz on Jun 26, 10 11:05 PM
This game is way too short! I remember playing the others in the series and thinking they were great - challenging and involving.

I played challenge mode from the start and it didn't even take an afternoon. Wouldn't have bought it had I have known. Not worth the $20, espcially as I am in NZ so it's more like $30! Annoyed!

Edited on 06/26/2010 at 11:10:13 PM PST

[Post New]by Muppetlove on Jun 27, 10 2:04 AM
Usually love this series, but this is pretty short compared to past 2-3 game. Really for me not worth the Collectors Price - hold off for regular pricing if at all possible. However, beautiful game.

ngj67
Sea Anemone
Sea Anemone
9 Posts

[Post New]by ngj67 on Jun 27, 10 2:14 AM
I was disappointed...the price..not worth it...too short, not as good as other Dream Chronicles..., should have read here before buying.

Qtkitteh
Squid
Squid
72 Posts

[Post New]by Qtkitteh on Jun 27, 10 2:44 AM
I've really enjoyed all the DC games I've played. This demo was lovely, the graphics, the music and etc. *However* I feel like with a lot of the sequels people are very anxious to buy they're getting slapped with a "CE" and being priced at almost 3 times the amount of a typical $6.99 game based only and I mean only on our excitement that a series in a game that is popular because a lot of us loved it and has done well in it's previous installments. This might sound like a complaint but I'm just making an observation IMHO. I've bought quite a few CE's myself and was tempted at first to buy this one, but will pass. If the bonus content was a *new* level even 30 to 45 minutes I would have bought this, but for a few puzzles thrown together (I'm basing this from what I've read, so if I'm wrong feel free to pm me to prevent any spoilers here) by the developers is kinda like buying a radio and they charge extra for slapping on shinier knobs. I hope that makes sense. I will buy the regular version when it comes out though because I really enjoyed the demo.
Another thing that has me wondering, the past installment of Midnight Mysteries: Salem Witch Trials, was priced at $6.99 and *for me* was wonderfully fun to play! I know not everyone will agree, but this is my experience. It took me over 3 hours, had fun built-in bonus content (the achievements) an immersing storyline and was just an overall awesome game! I thought to myself "This is how it used to be before the CE's, incredible game, *amazing price*, and it showed the developers took more pride in creating a top notch game than raking in $$$." Again, I'm not complaining...just missing the good ol' days.
Sorry for such a long post, if this went too off topic I apologize. I have a couple of freebies built up and a couple of credits so I'll get this when it comes out in the regular version. And to those that posted about their experience with the CE, I can not thank you enough! I appreciate it greatly!!!!! I wish it had turned out better for you and I hope karma makes it up to you somehow, but I'm sincere when I say thank you for posting.

Go to: