Re:Your Comments and Reviews for The Great Gatsby

[Post New]by nyfish on Jul 20, 10 7:24 AM
This is my first post. I so appreciate the people who post so I can make an informed decision before buying something. I have been playing games here for a couple of months. I was very hesitant before I purchased The Great Gatsby since I am not a "reader" and bore easily.
I am somewhere in the middle of the game and had to share that this is a fabulous game. The graphics are superb and the music is such great fun. I am enjoying the story and as if i were watching a soap opera I cannot wait to see what happens next.
I have played many games already but this one has depth, character and is in a class all itself.
I have not joined the club yet. There is a line from Groucho Marx....I would never join a club that would have me as a member....so I am just enjoying things from the outside.
Thank you to everyone who takes the time to share your opinons. This is a fun place to visit.

Rose_Ann
Starfish
Starfish
46 Posts

[Post New]by Rose_Ann on Jul 20, 10 2:13 PM
This game is fresh and different. The storyline is based on the classic novel. The graphics and music provide just the right atmosphere for the period. Finding objects triggers dialogue. There are fun little minigames. All of this adds up to a cool game.

The references to domestic violence and alcohol are part of the novel, and very tame. Many prime-time TV shows and PG-rated movies have content that is far more disturbing.

Edited on 07/20/2010 at 2:23:04 PM PST

Thaletta
Starfish
Starfish
42 Posts

[Post New]by Thaletta on Jul 20, 10 10:09 PM
I will be buying it too! I liked it very much and have put it on my "to Buy' list at no 2 (Secrets of Dragon Wheel is in first place for me) I loved the graphics and the chatter was quite acceptable. I have read the book (at School many many years ago) and saw the movie also ages ago. and loved both and now the game. Thanks for an excellent game.

banor
Squid
Squid
73 Posts

[Post New]by banor on Jul 21, 10 10:32 AM
I did not find the references to alcohol offensive - sign of those times. Great story and graphically I liked the way the pictures seem to come alive - slight movements that made this special in my eyes. Definitely enjoyed this one and would recommend it to all

Poutoule
Archerfish
Archerfish
41,630 Posts

[Post New]by Poutoule on Jul 21, 10 11:54 AM
I'm really surprised that so many of you, mostly American I suppose, simply ignore this summit of american litterature. It's a great novel, probably the only one really world known of Scott Fitzgerald. Alcool and drugs killed him soon enough but he had time to write The Great Gatsby, which is universally known. It's supposed to be his own life described in this book. Have downloaded the game but haven't played it yet, as usual I wanted to read your comments first. Will let you know. (By the way I'm French and loved this beautiful, hard and so well written book).

minxs
Clownfish
Clownfish
615 Posts

[Post New]by minxs on Jul 21, 10 2:20 PM
I just finished listening to The Complete Stories of Dorothy Parker (on CD) and alcohol consumption during Prohibition was a huge theme for her also.

In a humorous way, she points out that prohibiting alcohol was a total failure and that drinking became far more glamorous and attractive than it would have been if the Great Experiment had never been tried (somewhat similar to today's War on [Some] Drugs -- when I was a kid drugs were not even on anyone's radar screen, right up to high school; now every schoolchild in the smallest towns in America can obtain them with ease).

She also uses an obsession with getting alcohol and a fascination with the speak-easy culture to illustrate a person's character in the best way: show, don't tell. It's the crass, vulgar, ultimately shallow and boring people whose main topic of conversation is "Where you can get 'it'", who spend their time in nightclubs, and so forth.

So no, you couldn't leave out that theme without drastically changing the adaptation of the novel. Gatsby's, Daisy's, and Nick's drinking show us that they are trying to be glamorous, carefree,up-to-date young people. They all fail at it too, which makes the point.

That being said, while I loved FSF and read every single one of his novels and short stories in high school, I grew out of them in college. So I wasn't even going to try the game. But because of these reviews, I will at least download the trial.

Thanks to everyone for a great discussion! "Comments and reviews" are so much more interesting when they go into the depth we have done here-- IMHO..

Valdy
Marlin
Marlin
9,383 Posts

[Post New]by Valdy on Jul 22, 10 11:51 AM
What an interesting game! I actually missed it until today, because it came out on the same day as a TM game, and I don't play those, so I didn't look for a new game on that day.
Beautiful graphics, great gameplay, lots of different things to do. Love hunting for the letters and special items (clocks, bottles, etc), and love mixing drinks, fixing a tire and so on. This is a really fun game to play.

kristidumplin
Manatee
Manatee
3,656 Posts

[Post New]by kristidumplin on Jul 23, 10 6:30 AM
I think this game is a hoot! The scenes are well drawn and the soundtrack is wonderful. I don't have the problems that others seem to have with the storyline, as I pay more attention to the game play than the story. Having read "The Great Gatsby", the game does follow parts of the book pretty well. I enjoyed the fact that this game is just a bit different. The playable transition screens are lots of fun, as are the levels that find you seeking items while riding in a car. While some will have problems with the story, I don't think any will have problems with the actual game play. It's engaging with great music and fun little extras like finding words, books, and decorating your library. I like it!

dlb628
Minnow
Minnow
252 Posts

[Post New]by dlb628 on Jul 23, 10 2:00 PM
I loved this game. It's a longer than average game with a great story to accompany the many hidden object scenes. I really liked the interactive cut scenes, too. I was supposed to read The Great Gatsby in high school but never quite got to it. I want to read the book now, which is the highest compliment I could pay the game. Nice to see something with mature themes that adults can connect to - the same things I look for in a good movie.

Valdy
Marlin
Marlin
9,383 Posts

[Post New]by Valdy on Jul 24, 10 12:05 AM
Additional: I now finished the game - like to take my time - and must say that this is such an excellent and entertaining game in a way as I have never seen before.
I love the graphics, I love the gameplay. I love the story (and that there is a story in the first place), and I love the surprise ending.

I love the 'mini' games (if I can call them that). I love the word typing part as well (can type fast with 10 fingers), and I even love the music. I never, but never listen to the music that come with the games, but in this case I made an exception. I love those 1920's melodies and they go really well with the game.

Gets a rare 5 out of 5 stars from me.

Edited on 07/24/2010 at 12:07:23 AM PST

SnowNSew
Squid
Squid
68 Posts

[Post New]by SnowNSew on Jul 24, 10 9:04 AM
I know I am late to this forum, and tons of reviews have already been posted, but I still felt the need to post my thoughts. (Go figure!)

First of all, I get the feeling that this game is a labor of love by its developers. The thought and voiceovers and drawings all seem like more than just a mere "project" to me. I, too, read The Great Gatsby in high school. It was my favorite of all the American Lit I read - which isn't saying much. I have arguments (er- discussions) with my mother the English teacher on what makes great literature. If a book makes me want to reread it - it is great. If I am forced to read it, it is lit!

After reading the reviews, I really thought I would hate this game. But I didn't. I thought the drawings were great and the hidden objects were findable. I discovered I didn't want to use hints because when I did, I would just kick myself for being lazy. I loved, LOVED, *LOVED* the hidden word feature. While I am not a word puzzle aficionado, I do enjoy them on occasion and this is my favorite type: Wheel of Fortune type.

I thought the mini games at the end were a little too "guided" as when you moused over the next object in the process it told you exactly what to do. I found the "doing" a bit awkward, but they do add a variable element.

I also liked the games between scenes with the narration. Gives you something to do while you are listening. (I turned on my sound during these scenes just to listen. I usually play muted.) I do think, however, they should leave the directions up longer. At least one time, I didn't read in time what I was searching for and had to go over to find them all.

As I was playing muted, I did not hear the characters voicing during the scenes, but I could see them coming and going. I thought it made for a nice distraction and added another element to the game. It did not bother me at all. In fact, it may way have helped. I sometimes get tunnel vision during HOGs and forget to blink.

In the end, I decided not to purchase. I remember enough of the story to remember I do not like the way it ends. Also, while I give definite kudos to the developer for trying something different, I just found it kind of boring. I do believe anyone who loves the novel will love the game. I also think anyone who is currently studying the novel might find the game an added enhancement to his/her education.

vicalana
Stingray
Stingray
5,296 Posts

[Post New]by vicalana on Jul 24, 10 9:13 AM
Have finished playing for the second time. A gem. Wonderful. Don't miss it.

[Post New]by magnoliajem on Jul 25, 10 1:20 PM
Almost didn't d/l this game, but after reading these comments, figured I'd give it a try. LOVED IT!! I had forgotten what a great novel this was & very much enjoyed the narration which was true to Fitzgerald. The depth & variety of the games & HOs made the gameplay interesting. The voiceovers fit the characters, the graphics were well-done, & the music added a timely atmosphere. Bravo developers & BFG!

genkicoll
Stingray
Stingray
5,732 Posts

[Post New]by genkicoll on Jul 28, 10 2:17 PM
Classic Adventures: The Great Gatsby

Let me preface this review by saying that I have never read The Great Gatsby, nor did I know any of the plot before playing.

Based on the novel by F. Scott Fitzgerald, this game is a period piece set in the 1920's. The developers did a very good job making sure that everything was era-appropriate, which helped to make the game more immersive.

You will gain trophies as you progress through the game for things like collecting 500 hidden items, finishing a game level without a hint, using a hint before you've found any objects on the scene (oh yes, there is a dunce cap ) The game is NOT timed, but you do have the option of collecting points, which can be used to "buy" items to customize your library. Any trophies you collect will also be displayed in your library.

This game is a straight HOG with a lot of story interspersed. Despite this, the game can be as immersive as you wish, for you can turn off the voiced (and visual) dialogue at any time. There are triggers during HOG scenes where text will appear at the top of the screen and voices of characters will begin. You may be 1/4 or 1/2 way through the scene before you hit the right item. It was jolting at first, but I soon became used to the sudden interruptions and actually looked forward to them so that I could learn more of the story.

You get points for each item you find, and if you "stagger" the items (find as many items on the screen as possible before you start clicking), you'll get a lot of bonus points. The fast-click bonus is a plus for me, as it gives me incentive to really use my memory to remember where everything is.

There are two optional "mini-games" embedded in the hidden object scenes:
- Find the Books - Find one book in each scene. Each book you find will give you bonus points and will be displayed on a bookshelf in your library.
- Find the Secret Word: Collect letters in the scene to spell out the secret word. When you click on a letter, it will go to a word box on the bottom right of the screen. Finding letters gets you extra points. When you think you know the word, you can try to guess it, and doing so (correctly) will get you even more bonus points. Also, if you can guess early, it will remove all of the letters from the scene and give you the points for those, as well.

(continued...)

genkicoll
Stingray
Stingray
5,732 Posts

[Post New]by genkicoll on Jul 28, 10 2:18 PM
(...continued)

The hidden objects start out pretty easy - especially the letters for the secret word. As you go forward through the game, however, items and letters get more and more cleverly hidden.

At times during gameplay, there are interactive cutscenes. There is narration and changing backgrounds to move the story along, but during these scenes, you have another optional "mini-game" to play: Find x-number of x-item during the scenes to get extra points. You can replay the "transition" scenes if you happened to miss any of the items, but this is also optional.

There are a few mini-games like replacing a flat tire on a car, locket puzzles, type-the-falling-words tasks, etc. There are quite a few of the typing tasks, but the SKIP button is immediately available for those who are not able to type fast.

Something I really liked about the game were the options. You have three sound bars you can adjust: SFX/Ambience (Clicking noise/background noises like birds chirping), Music and Voices.

Now we get to the good stuff: The graphics. The coloration, art style and overall visuals really helped set the tone for the era. Very appropriate. The thing I appreciated the most about the game is that the graphics aren't "static". The scenes are not simple frozen scenes in time. There are nuances of light that play about the scenes that are so beautifully and skillfully done that you don't really notice them unless you are paying attention. This is not the usual "beam of light through the window with dust motes" kind of movement, it's minute changes that bring the scenes to life without distracting the eye. My favorite effect was on the hydrangea bushes on the outside scenes.

Two more notes about graphics:

First, this game has implemented a type of moving hidden object scene I've never seen before. You have a car and typical hidden object scene in the foreground, with the street and some more objects to find passing by as you are driving. Fast clicking isn't needed, as you can see them coming.

Second, you will revisit scenes in this game... but the scenes never look the same. Not only do the hidden objects move around each time the scene loads, but there are daytime and nighttime views! The artists and developers really did a fantastic job keeping the scenes fresh and interesting.

The story progresses well, is interesting and complete, and yet still leaves questions that make you want to read the book.

scarlet_11dy6
Flounder
Flounder
2,031 Posts

[Post New]by scarlet_11dy6 on Jul 28, 10 5:24 PM
There should be a "reviews only" thread & a "comments only" thread. They should not be shoved together as if they're the exact same thing; they aren't. "It was boring" is not a review but a comment. "I didn't like this picture in the game" is not a review but a comment. "I am appalled that I have to put up w/ X, Y, &/or Z in this game" is not a review but a comment. "I just have to come in & warn adults about adult themes b/c BFG didn't & they should" is not a review, but a comment.

What genki just posted....yeah, THAT'S a review, not a comment.

That's what we need more of, not scrolling past arguments generated by comments.

Those who'd like to see actual reviews about gameplay can ignore the comments thread & let those ppl duke it out (hopefully sans broken bones or driving them to drink).

Those who want to incite debate on today's political correctness applying to yesteryears, personal standards of appropriateness, & for goodness' sakes, won't someone think of the children, aren't interested in real reviews & therefore won't venture into the reviews thread, having nothing to offer it.

Reviewers & those looking for reviews won't have to slog thru all that to get to reviews.

Commenters won't have to slog thru reviews to frown.

I see nothing but win/win in a long-overdue spearation of these 2 very different categories.

genkicoll
Stingray
Stingray
5,732 Posts

[Post New]by genkicoll on Jul 28, 10 6:43 PM
I'd like to see your post in the Chit Chat Corner area, Scarlet Having it here means only those interested in The Great Gatsby will see it, and I think it deserves more attention than that.

kickenbass
Seahorse
Seahorse
36 Posts

[Post New]by kickenbass on Jul 29, 10 3:41 PM
Enjoyed demo very much, this is a buy for me, different and entertaining on many levels.

Ms. Quinn

janinpa
Seahorse
Seahorse
37 Posts

[Post New]by janinpa on Jul 29, 10 8:32 PM
Oooops, I clicked by accident to down load this game and I'm sure glad I did. The developers did a great job and thanks BF for this unique game. It was refreshing to play a game that was totally different. I found it lengthy enough and the story line held my interest so there were a few rather late nights. So what if the hot dog was in a weird place. That is what HOGs are all about. All the objects were true to the 1920s. I would get on a new level and have to just stop and admire the dresses, the scene - they were all so clear. Loved it!!

Jan

[Post New]by bluepoppy499 on Jul 30, 10 8:20 PM
I was pretty sure I was going to buy the game anyway, but after reading all the posts I'm definitely going to. The novel is dark and covers some very adult themes--not to everyone's taste for sure, but it does perfectly capture a moment in time.

At first I was annoyed with the slow pace of the game, but then I realized that that's actually one of its best features: this is a leisurely game to be savored, not an urgent mission. With no timer you can turn off the tutorials and take your time figuring everything out, but there are plenty of hints if you get stuck.

I'm sure I'll play this game more than once, which is a huge plus. I'll get the full experience the first time, then turn off the voices and skip the few mini games I didn't care for in subsequent playings.

I don't usually like shopping and decorating, but this is a LIBRARY! I can't wait to fill it up with books and other treasures; my cat is already waiting for me by the fire.

This is a great game for book lovers and anyone who likes to just take their time and enjoy all the little details. True, there's an ugly side to being one of the "beautiful people" (which is one of Fitzgerald's main points), but this is a lovely game to immerse yourself in and it's very customizable--you can opt out of just about anything you don't like.

Go to: