Re:A SIGN UP SHEET ASKING TO KEEP THE FORUM ACTIVE

[Post New]by cottoncandy2 on Apr 18, 18 5:58 AM
katejoe999 wrote:
cottoncandy2 wrote:With the forum being plagued with spam I can't blame them for closing it. It's a huge job keeping it clean for the members.

I can live with the spam... you just ignore it. Or laugh at it :-)

There are days I've come to the forum and there were only 3 legit posts and 15 spam. You can't even find the real ones to read or respond. I tried reporting them but it took forever and because they were all different member profiles I imagine admin would also have to go in and delete them individually. I've been a forum moderator in the past. I know what it's like. And that forum was also eventually shut down because of the spam. Something really needs to be done about it, but I don't know how you can stop it. I've tried tracking affiliate links and reporting them back to the company they represent but I dont know if they care.

Edited on 04/18/2018 at 5:59:58 AM PST

tejasgal
Manatee
Manatee
4,062 Posts

[Post New]by tejasgal on Apr 18, 18 6:53 AM
BFG was just sold for $900 MILLION so it can not be an economic problem to have a forum. It is vanity and avarice that is the problem.
They don't want to support a forum because it costs money.
BUT, all other game sites I see have a forum and most of them have an active community forum. So, BFG's claims of it not working right or not "sustainable" are excuses.
I'm not sure if even every member (and others) came in and signed this request would make any difference since it didn't when they shut down the community forum.
But, that said; I would very much like to see an new and improved and expanded forum with game discussions and a community area like most other games sites have.
The only thing that will make a difference to BFG owners is $$$$$.
If they can't see the need for a forum, we can always go somewhere else. Many of the games we are seeing now are available on other sites and many are there way in advance of when they show up here.

fenn01
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
18 Posts

[Post New]by fenn01 on Apr 18, 18 6:56 AM
please keep forums goimg

kelvar123
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
10 Posts

[Post New]by kelvar123 on Apr 18, 18 7:19 AM
PLEASE KEEP THE FORUMS OPEN!

gailgo
Rainbowfish
Rainbowfish
43,711 Posts

[Post New]by gailgo on Apr 18, 18 7:28 AM
Very few comment in the Forums anyway...slowly declining since Chit Chat closed ...ah but what surprises will be next I wonder

steve_san
Clownfish
Clownfish
586 Posts

[Post New]by steve_san on Apr 18, 18 7:58 AM

To my fellow fishes,

It's been nice knowing you all!! Thanks for all your help and encouragement in the forums over the years! You have been a blessing to me.

May you find happy gaming wherever you may go. Wishing you all the best in the future!

Steve

Lambina
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,123 Posts

[Post New]by Lambina on Apr 18, 18 9:17 AM
angelfish106 wrote:I've been a member here since 2007. I read the posts and sometimes write a review if the game deserves it. My daily ritual includes checking out the new game and reading any posts about it. What a bitter pill to swallow, losing the posts and missing out on some interesting discussions

The desktop PC is gradually going the way of the dinosaur. Tablets and smartphones are the offspring that have succeeded in outgrowing their parents. Why anyone would want to play games on either is beyond me, since neither has the capabilities that a desktop has. To that end my PC will remain the sole game playing device, whilst my tablet remains as a back-up (and occasional use for my elderly Dad!) and my mobile phone does what it was intended for; makes calls and sends texts. I don't have a laptop; 3 devices is enough for anyone.

Devs will eventually stop making games for PC's as they are becoming less popular. Those of us that use them will have less choice. Sites that solely depend on game sales will lose revenue from this source. Would we stay members if there are no new games for PC? No, of course not. So game sites will have to trim resources and I'm guessing the forums are one such resource. But what about technical issues? Will that remain or do we just contact CS? Not exactly an ideal solution since they can take days to respond and don't always have an answer.

Stop having so many sales; there's a way to save money. There are far too many of them in a week; it's not sustainable in today's market. Make the forums available to Game Club members only; for a start that may help to cut down the spam. Otherwise I suspect many will cancel their membership, resulting in even more loss of revenue for a company trying to save money. Hardly a wise decision

I feel the same as you about gaming on pc, a tablet does not have near the capabilities but pc gaming will not go the way of the dinosaur as the most hard core gamers use pc's, they play games that have a lot of complex keyboarding moves, the type of games that cost $50 to $100 that they play online, my husband custom built his pc just for gaming, he calls the games that I play "cheap". There is a whole other world out there with pc gamers, and still probably millions of us playing the casual BF games on pc.

[Post New]by Eveoflove on Apr 18, 18 9:48 AM
The community (including moderators, reviewers, walkthrough authors) is what keeps BFG vibrant, and raises the bar from being just a software game sales centre... so of course we all want to keep it alive!

Commenting on the "recent" quality of games (specifically or as a whole) is NOT up to BFG: target your comments to the developers!

I think it could be valuable for BFG to look for input on how to extend/replace the existing tech that supports the tools:
a) reviews
b) forums
c) walkthrus
I'm sure there is a pool of members that are tech savvy and/or IT professionals!

I check the new game releases (and reviews) every day, and would be DEVASTATED if the above features were discontinued.

I believe many members, in lieu of an increase in the monthly membership fee or the price of games, would be interested in doing a 1-time contribution to the survival of those features thru some sort of "Kickstarter" initiative... just an idea.

Here's to hoping that BFG remains my gaming site of choice!!! And thank you to EVERYONE for making it a very special place!!!

pennmom36
Clownfish
Clownfish
853 Posts

[Post New]by pennmom36 on Apr 18, 18 10:35 AM
tejasgal wrote:BFG was just sold for $900 MILLION so it can not be an economic problem to have a forum. It is vanity and avarice that is the problem.
BUT, all other game sites I see have a forum and most of them have an active community forum. So, BFG's claims of it not working right or not "sustainable" are excuses.
I'm not sure if even every member (and others) came in and signed this request would make any difference since it didn't when they shut down the community forum.
But, that said; I would very much like to see an new and improved and expanded forum with game discussions and a community area like most other games sites have.
If they can't see the need for a forum, we can always go somewhere else. Many of the games we are seeing now are available on other sites and many are there way in advance of when they show up here.

You are absolutely right! amen, I couldn't have said it better or more clearly, the answer is crystal clear!

Lambina
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,123 Posts

[Post New]by Lambina on Apr 18, 18 10:56 AM
pennmom36 wrote:
tejasgal wrote:BFG was just sold for $900 MILLION so it can not be an economic problem to have a forum. It is vanity and avarice that is the problem.

You are absolutely right! amen, I couldn't have said it better or more clearly, the answer is crystal clear!

I AGREE!!!

HolyCarp
Starfish
Starfish
57 Posts

[Post New]by HolyCarp on Apr 18, 18 11:00 AM
I choose to buy (or not) AFTER reading forum reviews. Will probably just NOT buy at all if forum reviews and tech probs not here

pennmom36
Clownfish
Clownfish
853 Posts

[Post New]by pennmom36 on Apr 18, 18 12:15 PM
HolyCarp wrote:I choose to buy (or not) AFTER reading forum reviews. Will probably just NOT buy at all if forum reviews and tech probs not here

on a lighter note...awesome name...very funny
and approved

elijah5
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,225 Posts

[Post New]by elijah5 on Apr 18, 18 12:38 PM
Keep the forums open! What is BF doing? the forums are a vital part of the games, especially when you need help. This is copied:

For me, the information available in the forums is vital when choosing to buy games. The ability to ask for help and to get answers from other gamers is just as vital.

In addition, I believe that the forums have created comaraderie among the gamers. That, in turn, creates loyalty to the BFG site.

azada72
Orca Whale
Orca Whale
22,438 Posts

[Post New]by azada72 on Apr 18, 18 12:43 PM
I read these forums but usually don't post, but I do like to see what others have to say about a game.
However, BF didn't listen to us when they "flushed" the CCC. We asked, pleaded and begged and were still shut out with barely any notice. I hate to say this, but they will do they same to you.
There is no loyalty to customers anymore.

bfgMurrumbidgee
1,338 Posts

[Post New]by bfgMurrumbidgee on Apr 18, 18 12:59 PM
Hi again,

I wanted to take a quick moment to again thank you all for sharing the thoughts, feelings and concerns that have been sparked by the recent announcement about our forums.

While it is true that Big Fish Games was recently acquired by Aristocrat Technologies, this had no bearing on the decision. We will continue to provide the great games we do today, which aligns well with Aristocrat's mission to “provide great gaming experiences, every day".

The moderators and I have mentioned this in a handful of conversations across our community but I can assure you the decision to disable posts and PMs was not reached without thorough investigation of all of the options available to us to preserve the forum and the content within. The software that powers the forums is fragile and very old. It is for these reasons that there is no option available to us to update the software.

Part of the role of the moderation team is to advocate for our members and this is something that we will continue to do, sharing all of the feedback, and all of the alternate solutions being provided.

As always, we are here to help in any way that we’re able, please feel free to reach out to any member of the team as needed.

bfgMurrumbidgee

Lambina
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,123 Posts

[Post New]by Lambina on Apr 18, 18 1:09 PM
The old software may not be able to be upgraded but they certainly can buy some new software and maybe hardware and revamp the forum system, the shareholders are going to lose lots of money from people cancelling their memberships and going to a company that has forums, this is a really poor business decision on BFs part.

calsmom2001
Dogfish
Dogfish
1,785 Posts

[Post New]by calsmom2001 on Apr 18, 18 1:14 PM
bfgMurrumbidgee wrote:Hi again,

The software that powers the forums is fragile and very old. It is for these reasons that there is no option available to us to update the software.

bfgMurrumbidgee

So, if the software that powered billing was "fragile and very old", would the solution be to simply stop billing? Of course not! New software would long since have been found, which is what should have happened here. BFG USED to actually be concerned what their members thought, but those days are long gone, and they ain't coming back.

While I deplore the shutdown of the game forums (and agree with those who think it a stupid decision, financially), I am not surprised. I no longer believe anything I read on this site, and fully expect that at some point, the plug will be pulled on access to our games. Expect a class-action suit should that happen.

Disgusted.

dramajunkie
Orca Whale
Orca Whale
21,641 Posts

[Post New]by dramajunkie on Apr 18, 18 2:57 PM
@ Calsmom2001' thanks for saying out loud what I have been thinking. Class action suit if I lose my games. I'm right there with you.

minesita
Dolphin
Dolphin
6,975 Posts

[Post New]by minesita on Apr 18, 18 3:32 PM
dramajunkie wrote:@ Calsmom2001' thanks for saying out loud what I have been thinking. Class action suit if I lose my games. I'm right there with you.

Hi ,

If they file for bankruptcy not luck with suits (MHO)!

Best wishes,
M

tammytheo
Clownfish
Clownfish
738 Posts

[Post New]by tammytheo on Apr 18, 18 3:43 PM
calsmom2001 wrote:So, if the software that powered billing was "fragile and very old", would the solution be to simply stop billing? Of course not! New software would long since have been found, which is what should have happened here. BFG USED to actually be concerned what their members thought, but those days are long gone, and they ain't coming back.

While I deplore the shutdown of the game forums (and agree with those who think it a stupid decision, financially), I am not surprised. I no longer believe anything I read on this site, and fully expect that at some point, the plug will be pulled on access to our games. Expect a class-action suit should that happen.

Disgusted.

Thank you for articulating so eloquently what I had on my mind exactly.

IMO this is a bad move on BF's behalf (when they shut the CCC down, they were oh so reassuring that the game forums were going to remain intact) but, it's more than obvious, the decision has already been taken and there's absolutely nothing we can do to change that. Besides, although I too feel sad and disappointed, begging is not really my style. I'm a loyal customer who has invested thousands of euros on their products, like so many others here. I expect to be treated with respect and right now... well, I don't think I get the respect I deserve for my loyalty. And yes, after all this, I will have to re-evaluate whether I should keep my membership or not.

Well, "Goodnight, and Good Luck.", Big Fish.

Go to: