noahnana
Seahorse
Seahorse
20 Posts

Re:Your Comments and Reviews for The Mysterious Case of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde

[Post New]by noahnana on Aug 20, 10 8:59 PM
Awful game, boring, to much dialogue, too hard to see some objects, repetative inane mini-games, sub-standard artwork and annoying music. Just bad all the way around. Sometimes I think it would be better if there were just a couple of new games per week, maybe the quality would improve. I usually enjoy HOG games but this one was terrible.

silverink
Minnow
Minnow
200 Posts

[Post New]by silverink on Sep 14, 10 8:51 AM
This was a straightforward hidden object game. The characters were well drawn and the story and dialogue were well done for this type of game, though the graphics in the scenes were mediocre, reminding me of games from several years back. There were no adventure or interactive elements and the mini-games are very easy, but if you know that going in and are just in the mood for a hidden object game with good story elements, it is relaxing and enjoyable.

Zahavah
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
19 Posts

[Post New]by Zahavah on Sep 20, 10 6:38 PM
The great thing about BFG is that there is a game for everyon'e taste. You just have to test all of the games that attract you, and then buy one.

That's what I do, and I just LOVED Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde

The scenes are artistically stunning, and I loved the music. I loved the fact that it is a long game (in hours of play), and it is fun for me to be able to spread the joy over a couple of days.

Excellent game! Good going, Big Fish!

lentenrose
Minnow
Minnow
286 Posts

[Post New]by lentenrose on Oct 13, 10 1:51 PM
A HOG with limited hints and generous limit on wrong clicks. To me the striking things about this game were: 1. The dialogs slowed down the play (boring to me) and 2. The artwork is great.

sheepgirl
Lobster
Lobster
97 Posts

[Post New]by sheepgirl on Apr 9, 11 3:16 AM
Far far too much dialogue and not enough game........and a bit simple. A no buy for me.

[Post New]by Shannon282007 on Apr 9, 11 6:58 AM
Yes, on this game there is WAY too much dialog and no skip button (wtf??). The scenes look very much like HdO games with the small objects and murky scenes (it's not HdO, though, I am certain). The music is annoying after a while. I didn't care much for this game. There are better out there.

d0080b
Stingray
Stingray
5,334 Posts

[Post New]by d0080b on May 15, 11 12:00 PM
Way too much dialog and the characters looked to cartoonish... the story moved too slow or was just not interesting enough, was glad when the game ended.

Liasmani
Whale Shark
Whale Shark
19,504 Posts

[Post New]by Liasmani on Jul 13, 11 10:37 AM
Graphics – 2.5 stars
Story – 2.5 stars
Music/Sounds – 3 stars
Gameplay – 2.5 stars
Overall – 2.625 stars

My ratings of games can be high as 5 and can be low as 1.

Ratings Explained:

1 star: Poor
2 stars: Okay
3 stars: Good
4 stars: Great
5 stars: Excellent

I won’t be purchasing this game at all. For those who did – Happy Gaming!

Trigger51
Squid
Squid
62 Posts

[Post New]by Trigger51 on Aug 29, 11 3:33 PM
Did NOT like this game at all. I usually finish the demo hour, but I couldn't even do that. Quit after 15 minutes.

Too much dialogue
turned off sound right away
Some items too small to find, while others were oversized
Had to click with pinpoint accuracy, or the item wasn't found
Limited hints
No adventuring involved. I'm not a fan of straight H0G anyway.

Edited on 08/29/2011 at 3:34:21 PM PST

enigma5619
Minnow
Minnow
244 Posts

[Post New]by enigma5619 on Sep 2, 11 1:58 PM
good telling of the story of jekyll and hyde....fast easy puzzles that were fun because they were different then the usual and the h.o. games were fine too...decent graphics

minx69696969
Guppy
Guppy
112 Posts

[Post New]by minx69696969 on Nov 12, 11 6:42 AM
If you don't like to read - Don't buy this game. I have only played 12 minutes worth so far and I am bored of all the text! I am going to give it another chance on another day and hopefully it may improve

Robcol
Minnow
Minnow
207 Posts

[Post New]by Robcol on Mar 20, 12 6:40 PM
This game sucks. You should not be selling the like of this.

[Post New]by dalem9 on Aug 28, 12 4:08 AM
bad game sorry I didn't preview first. Bad visuals and truly bad script.

sfr8rfan
Guppy
Guppy
196 Posts

[Post New]by sfr8rfan on Jan 21, 14 11:43 AM
I'm having a VERY HARD TIME seeing anything. Items are hidden in plain sight IMO. What's that all about? I've never seen a game like this and not sure I'm understanding what's going on. I'd like to see a thorough review that explains what AND WHY (not just the "what" of SG).

sfr8rfan
Guppy
Guppy
196 Posts

[Post New]by sfr8rfan on Feb 6, 14 6:51 PM
THE STRANGE GAME OF THE MYSTERIOUS CASE OF DR. JEKYLL AND MR. HYDE

Part One of Three

I played this game from start to finish on a Mac in 5 hours.

I've never played anything like this before so of course, I didn't know what to expect. The game is unusual.

Games typically fall into one of these two categories: they're driven by the storyline or they're mini-games and HOGs which are loosely connected through the story.

The Strange Case of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde is faithful to Robert Louis Stevenson's Novella and the HOGs lead a gamer through the story. This is a first person game and the player is cast in the role of an old friend of Dr. Henry Jekyll. In this unusual case, I don't think either the games or the storyline predominate. They go hand in hand. Without the HOGs the story wouldn't progress. Without the story line the HOGs and mini-games would be nonsense.

To Be Continued…

sfr8rfan
Guppy
Guppy
196 Posts

[Post New]by sfr8rfan on Feb 6, 14 6:52 PM
Continuation: Part Two of Three

HOGs and MINI-GAMES:

The quantity of HOGs is large and the format is unusual. The mini games are fewer in number and more familiar in format. My apologies: I didn’t count the number of HOGs and mini-games and there’s no walkthrough for me to cull. I estimate there are 15-20 “sets” of HOGs and 10 mini-games. I will explain what I mean by “sets” in a bit.

Maybe I find this game fun it is really refreshing to play something so different and off the hook by comparison to the norm.

But then, how was it off the hook? How were the HOGs and their formats unusual? The HOG scenes are typically “sets,” as I referred to them before: first comes a “list pick” of around 20 items; immediately followed by a “multiples find” (find 11x this or 15x that); the set is then completed with a single item that ends up in the inventory and is the key to moving the story along.

In most cases the protagonist enters a room filled with a variety of items spread throughout, not dumped in a pile. The initial view is panoramic, so, it’s very different from what we are used to seeing in standard HOGs. A screen “close-up tool” is provided to help with viewing, but a close up is still not very close. Some of the items I see clearly. Some are not so clear. If I can’t see it clearly I make a calculation based on what the item is and where it should be, contextually, in the scene. Then I make a guess and click. Over-clicking is punished with an out-of-focus screen and an unusable cursor.

The actions are similar to other list-pick and multiple-find HOGs. The ambiance is different and I like the difference. I have the feeling of being in a big room and searching high and low for the appointed items not just looking at a junk pile.

Among the various mini-games are "find the differences." Another game requires correct placement of items based on size or color. And yet another example of games is putting a letter or a picture in proper position by swapping and rotating the squares. Of these three examples, the first is fun, the second pedestrian and the third a total blast. (Maybe I need to get a life). The games run the gamut from zero challenge to considerable challenge. On the whole, I think the quality and variety is superior to most games. The glitz factor is, well...there is no glitz.

To be continued…

sfr8rfan
Guppy
Guppy
196 Posts

[Post New]by sfr8rfan on Feb 6, 14 6:54 PM
Continuation: Part Three of Three

VISUAL/SOUND QUALITY:
Visuals: While I’ve seen complaints that the graphics are very grainy, I don’t’ have an issue with that. It’s a good observation but I think there’s a reason for the graininess. I think the graphics contribute to the feel of the era, late 19th century London, or what I imagine it would be. There isn’t a lot of scenery. There aren’t a lot of people milling about in the vesture of the day. It’s a “feel.” The “feel” is NOT Hi DEF.

Sound quality: Here, I think, is where most people will find the biggest deficit in the game. There is no voice over, only written dialog. In this era we're used to hearing voice actors. The total absence of audible dialog may be disconcerting. With the exception of slightly scary background music, the game is very silent. I understand this can be uncomfortable. It isn’t for me.

The story presses on to its conclusion: The true nature of Jekyll and Hyde’s singular personhood but dual personalities is exposed to (me/you) his dear friend but not, at first, to his trusted and loyal assistant who is not made aware of the shocking truth until it’s too late. The assistant believes Jekyll has fallen prey to the heinous Hyde. In an act meant to protect his “master” from Hyde, he actually destroys them “both.” In one of his last cogent moments as Jekyll, we gain insight into his real goodness and the relief he feels at being set free from a tormented future he can’t bear to live out as Hyde.

When all is said and done, I can't convince you that this game is great. I wouldn’t try. I wouldn’t say it myself. But, I will say I liked it. I think that the style of the game matches its subject matter and is appropriate chronologically. However, in the gaming world of today where glitz is the norm, this game and its ilk just can't compete. Compare the dialog balloons of J&H to the exceptionally drawn characters, superior voice acting and spot-on lip-synching of “Portals of Evil: Stolen Runes,” for instance. There is no competition.

I put my money where my mouth is (where my pen is?) and have already purchased other games made by this developer. They are very similar in style. I'm looking forward to the intrigue of a Vatican thriller and to the depression era thuggery of Bonnie and Clyde.

I’ll let you know if I’m still so fond of this retro mode of gaming in a bit.

Go to: