SherrieS
Minnow
Minnow
275 Posts

Re:Your Comments and Reviews for Brunhilda and the Dark Crystal

[Post New]by SherrieS on Aug 5, 10 9:49 AM
indigo_ladybug wrote:I WANT MORE! ack! this game took me like 6 hours to

To the developpers, awesome AWESOME fantastic piece of work/art. To BF, THIS is the kind of games you need, the quality, the storyline, the NO ACCESS VIOLATIONs (breathes a sigh of relief). ok, off to replay.

I couldn't agree more!
Ok at first it "o goodness back & forth I hate this...then the lil guy was so much FUN!
I've played like 2 hours above the demo & still going & I would recommend it to EVERYONE!
The Magnifier is awesome! & very well needed at times.
fun game Keep it it up

glocal
Flounder
Flounder
2,408 Posts

[Post New]by glocal on Aug 5, 10 10:11 AM
I too demoed it elsewhere and although there is some moving back and forth room to room it is long enough to be worth the cost. This is a great game when the weather is bad or you find some down time.

The Rat Kingdom is funny and some of the hidden objects are tough to find. It does send you on quests and after a while moving room to room could get annoying. I have had to use the little demon guy a couple of times as I never know if an item is in what room.

All in all I find it one of those games to continually go back to.
Boredom Breaker

Icky_Etardo
Lobster
Lobster
84 Posts

[Post New]by Icky_Etardo on Aug 5, 10 10:18 AM
I loved this game too for its story and wonderful characters. I didn't care for the Error:Access Violation messages much though. I hope they patch it up a bit and then I'll buy it gladly. What a unique and fun game!

About all I can say about it that's bad is that there's too much help, so you don't get to figure out things on your own. According to the posts here, switching from casual mode to adventure mode should fix that a bit.

Really nice game, just a little glitchy.

pungstress
Minnow
Minnow
203 Posts

[Post New]by pungstress on Aug 5, 10 11:19 AM
I didn't enjoy this game at all. I couldn't get into it because of several issues. The voice of the gremlin(or whatever he was)was very irritating. I played the casual mode so maybe there weren't as many popup windows telling you what to do but it drove me nutz. Graphics were okay, music not too invasive. I lasted 10 minutes with the demo before giving up on it.

Valdy
Marlin
Marlin
9,383 Posts

[Post New]by Valdy on Aug 5, 10 11:23 AM
Gentlsong wrote:
Valdy wrote:I love the graphics of this game, and the gameplay is really fun.
What I don't like is that we are shown every step of the way what we have to do and who we have to talk to next. It feels almost as if this is a game for little children or a never-ending tutorial. Also, the demon is talking a little too much for me.

Other than that, I very much enjoy the game and have bought it.

If you play the adventure mode, there are a lot less directions.

Ah... now that's what I can do once I have finished with 'Casual Mode'. I don't like being led through the story every step of the way without having to think for myself. But I just landed in the 4th chapter and I am starting to get used to the Demon's interference. LOL

But thanks for the advice, I will change the mode next time I play the game again.
And once again... this is a super game!

Edited on 08/05/2010 at 11:26:28 AM PST

Valdy
Marlin
Marlin
9,383 Posts

[Post New]by Valdy on Aug 5, 10 11:36 AM
continuing...

To both nixyseven and TwinBottles Konstanty: Thank you both very much for your help. I will definitely play the game again in 'Adventure Mode', once I am done in 'Casual Mode'.
And yes, I saw that part in the Option section where I could mute the Demon, but I was worried that he might tell me things that are important to my progress and that's why I let him gab on. LOL
But since I see the text bubble when he has something important to say, I can then just mute him, and read what he has to say.

Thanks again for both your help.

gypsybaby1
Starfish
Starfish
54 Posts

[Post New]by gypsybaby1 on Aug 5, 10 11:59 AM
It's easy enough that I haven't needed to use the walkthrough... but I LOVE THIS GAME!

It's interesting enough, the voices aren't grating or annoying, the music is OK, but I always turn it down just on general principal, and the best part?

The fat little demon helper! I can't explain it, but I adore him! He's so cute!!

The graphics are simply, but well done, the colors are phenomenal. It's not spooky, but it's just enough zaniness and silliness to make me giggle and shake my head.

Yeah, this one's a purchase for me!

joybriars1
Seahorse
Seahorse
38 Posts

[Post New]by joybriars1 on Aug 5, 10 12:32 PM
loved the game but some of the objects were just too small so not for me

cyndihugs
Salmon
Salmon
2,926 Posts

[Post New]by cyndihugs on Aug 5, 10 1:11 PM
glocal wrote: I have had to use the little demon guy a couple of times as I never know if an item is in what room.

just wanted to say if you take your cursor/wand and put it on the items you need, there's a pop up that appears and tells you how many you have left in the room/area that you are in. (talking about the box at the bottom of the game, it'll show you a little more of what the items look like as well as telling you how many ya have to look for in the area you're in).

[Post New]by TwinBottles on Aug 5, 10 1:19 PM
cyndihugs wrote:
glocal wrote: I have had to use the little demon guy a couple of times as I never know if an item is in what room.

just wanted to say if you take your cursor/wand and put it on the items you need, there's a pop up that appears and tells you how many you have left in the room/area that you are in. (talking about the box at the bottom of the game, it'll show you a little more of what the items look like as well as telling you how many ya have to look for in the area you're in).

This, and also there is a green circle around item's icon when it's present on current location. When there are no items of this type on location there is a red X mark on the icon.

And for people playing with sound enabled here is a sound playing when you enter location with items that you need at the moment :-)

But howering your cursor on that card like cyndihugs suggested is probably best idea since it tells you exactly how many items of each type are present on current location!

Konstanty

Edited on 08/05/2010 at 1:26:31 PM PST

amahaf2
Lobster
Lobster
85 Posts

[Post New]by amahaf2 on Aug 5, 10 2:22 PM
I was a long way into this game & really enjoying it, then all of a sudden I got an error message that caused my game to terminate. I didn't know until then that there was not an "automatic" save feature so I lost everything I had done. Then I just happened to notice when I clicked on the menu that you can save if you need to quit the game. I don't know if I'll start the game over any time soon. Really disappointed.

tntbledsoe
Seahorse
Seahorse
25 Posts

[Post New]by tntbledsoe on Aug 5, 10 2:51 PM
I found it a little annoying to go back and forth between areas, but I guess that is common in this type of game. What I did like from the HOG aspect of game was that once you found an object it disappeared, and all of the items were in the scene until you found them. I appreciate that aspect a lot. I find it very annoying to visit the same hidden object seen more than once and find objects that I have already found back once again. Once I have removed them I think they should stay gone. I also like that new objects don't just magically appear when I'm not looking. The only time new objects appear in this game is if something that I do makes them appear - like if I have scattered something or broken something. I didn't find the music irritating and the demon's voice was okay except when he kept making comments like "good job". I can do without that. I might buy this game, but I haven't decided yet. I got through one and a half chapters in my demo so I'm not sure how much time I will have left.

[Post New]by TwinBottles on Aug 5, 10 2:53 PM
amahaf2 wrote:I was a long way into this game & really enjoying it, then all of a sudden I got an error message that caused my game to terminate. I didn't know until then that there was not an "automatic" save feature so I lost everything I had done. Then I just happened to notice when I clicked on the menu that you can save if you need to quit the game. I don't know if I'll start the game over any time soon. Really disappointed.

There is an automatic save feature - something must have happened to your saved game.This is rather rare occurrence, we are investigating this.

There is something you can do - using Telekinesis menu (it's located in lower right corner of Main Menu) you can restart last visited chapter. That way you won't have to play from the beginning. Hope that helps :-)

Konstanty

Edited on 08/05/2010 at 3:01:51 PM PST

WestElkTinker
Squid
Squid
60 Posts

[Post New]by WestElkTinker on Aug 5, 10 4:36 PM
I must be a real doofus. Well, OK, I am 62 and have cataracts, but I think I spent about 60% of the demo trying to find just the first few things in the apawtment. I like HOGs a lot, but am not so fond of little tiny objects in dark places. The cockroaches had me just clicking randomly in dark spots, not because I thought I saw them, but just because I thought that's probably where they were. I clicked on the last one as my time ran out. I don't know that I would do any better if I had the full version, as patience is not my long suit either. I'm glad the demon's seal recharged quickly. Using hints just to finish levels is not my idea of a fun game, nor is using a walkthrough. At that point it's not a game anymore, it's just a task.
The other aspects of the game seem good enough, and maybe deeper into the game it is easier to navigate, but I won't buy it to find out. Sorry BF. No sale here.

Edited on 08/05/2010 at 4:38:17 PM PST

grumpy1123
Guppy
Guppy
107 Posts

[Post New]by grumpy1123 on Aug 5, 10 7:45 PM
This game is a hoot. First time I ever laughed out loud playing a HOG.

I did have to use the magnifier and the demon's hints a lot, due to very small objects.

Usually I don't care about the story, as most of them are so confusing, but this story was great, funny, and kept me playing for many hours.

One note. When trying to find all the rags in the village, the demon kept pointing me to one area and there was no rag there! I clicked forever. Finally I left the game and went to the walkthrough. The 1 rag I was missing was no where near where the demon kept showing me!

Also, I have saved the game without having to start all over, except when my battery went dead and the laptop suddenly shut down. Then I had to start all over.

jlroeder
Seahorse
Seahorse
26 Posts

[Post New]by jlroeder on Aug 5, 10 8:43 PM
I tried the demo and thought it was a really cute game.....I know some players didn't like the demon...but I thought he was funny.......It looks like it will be a nice long game which I like.....so it will be a buy for me! Yes, some of the objects are small and put in dark places...but to me its just a challenge.....I like a challenge and not a game thats so easy its boring........

gameslvr
Clownfish
Clownfish
553 Posts

[Post New]by gameslvr on Aug 6, 10 4:49 AM
It was a cute game, pretty to look at and very easy but I don't like being told what to do every second so no buy for me. Very imaginative though.

BigTfromAV
Guppy
Guppy
139 Posts

[Post New]by BigTfromAV on Aug 6, 10 6:16 AM
This was really fun. It was a good length (10 chapters which take anywhere from 20 to 40 minutes each depending on hints used). I really enjoyed this one.

[Post New]by gail_p on Aug 6, 10 6:54 AM
This game is great - HOG with a difference. Good story line and nice length. Didn't want to stop playing but need something to play tomorrow. Good one BF.

2 part review

[Post New]by Jezzabelle on Aug 6, 10 9:38 AM
In a nutshell, I thought this game was really fun to play, the length was good, graphics/interface were original, and the story was definitely the driving force behind the game vs. an afterthought.

Story: 10/10 I can honestly say this is one of the first games where I really enjoyed the story. At one point I even thought, "Hm...this would make a good movie." You are playing as Brunhilda, a young New Yorker who, accompanied by a snarky demon, travels to another world to save the day. You come across a number of quirky characters, from a Rat King to a Spider that sounds remarkably like Hannibal Lecter...to a vampire herbalist and a sniveling talking book (an index, to be precise). No spoilers here, but the ending is satisfying and leaves you with a glimmer of hope there may be a sequel.

Game Play: 7/10 Basically, it's a "cluster" style IHOG. You have to find groups of items, typically, and rarely do you need to search for just one of something. The game is organized into 10 chapters, each in a different location and each location has 3 to 4 different scenes. As you find a group of something, they disappear from the scene and do not return.

The items can be TINY. There is a magnification feature however it's a bit fuzzy/grainy. I only used it 2-3 times throughout the entire game. The issue is that most of the items are to scale. One of my pet peeves in I/HOG games is when things are grossly out of scale - i.e. a gold coin is roughly the same size as a globe. The first few chapters are the worst, which is unfortunate since I think it frustrated many gamers during the demo.

I did have to use the hint button a few times each chapter. NOTE: the demon will only help you find objects, he will not give you hints if you're stuck. I never had to refer to the walkthrough, however, so it must not really be needed, just a little patience

All the characters speak...and although some voices are a bit stereotypical, most are fun rather than annoying. You can control voice, sound effects and music separately in the options menu as well as turn off the demon comments. I left them on...I do recommend letting the game idle a bit to hear his taunts, just for fun. It's also amusing to poke him with your wand.

Go to: