Re:Post any Echoes of the Past: The Castle of Shadows technical issues here only

[Post New]by brb1199119 on Aug 21, 10 1:50 AM
In the castle behind the bookcase, I pulled the mechanism in the cupboard, the cut scene showed the metal grate opening from the doorway and now it is closed and there is no way to open it back up. I am totally stuck now, have tried everything, including uninstalling the game and reinstalling and can still go nowhere. Help!

Re:Post any Echoes of the Past: The Castle of Shadows technical issues here only

[Post New]by jod_joshua on Aug 22, 10 4:48 AM
I am having problems with the control or should say lack of control of the mouse movement of the arrow fuction... The arrow icon will work to start the game, but as soon as the game starts it freezes and I cannot go any further than the very start of the game . I have uninstalled and reinstalled several times but it always ends up the same way.
HELP ME PLEASE!!!
I really liked the first game and would like to continue with this second game.
Any help will be appreciated.

glarson56
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
13 Posts

[Post New]by glarson56 on Aug 23, 10 8:06 AM
I can not get the game to download. A couple of times I thought it did but when I went to play it stated there was an error. I've never had this problem with any other game. Is there something else I need to do to get this to download?

[Post New]by elizclayton on Aug 23, 10 6:44 PM
brb1199119 wrote:In the castle behind the bookcase, I pulled the mechanism in the cupboard, the cut scene showed the metal grate opening from the doorway and now it is closed and there is no way to open it back up. I am totally stuck now, have tried everything, including uninstalling the game and reinstalling and can still go nowhere. Help!

This happened to me as well as some other folks with the CE. I was in touch with tech support to resolve. He had me update my directx driver and my video card was already up to date, so he had me install some other driver that was compatable with my PC. It didn't fix the problem, but I then uninstalled the game, deleted the game history:

"If you wanted to be absolutely certain you're getting a fresh start in the game we can also remove the existing saved game data (which could be responsible for the bug) from your system. To do this, just use the steps below.

From your desktop select My Computer
From the menu at the top select Tools>Folder Options and open the ‘View’ tab
In the list provided, certain the option to “Show hidden files and folders” is selected. Then, click OK
Next, navigate to the following location in that same window you've opened
C:\Documents and Settings\user.name\Application Data\Orneon\Echoes of the Past - The Castle of Shadows

*USERNAME is whatever you used to install the game onto your system or what you are currently signed in to your computer with

In that folder you should see file(s) related to any profiles(s) you may have created earlier. Delete or move those to the trash can
Try playing the game again!"

[Post New]by elizclayton on Aug 23, 10 6:46 PM
Post continued.

I deleted everything in that file and reinstalled the game. Played all over. Then when I went to the same part of the game, it seemed to freeze a bit on the hand, but it let me click on the journal. When I closed the journal the game was fine. I immediately went down through the opened grate before I went back to the dungeon to finish the mini games. HTH!

Rainbow722
Flounder
Flounder
2,404 Posts

[Post New]by Rainbow722 on Aug 23, 10 7:14 PM
This game will not even start up for me! Same as the ce. I click play now, in a minute the screen flashes black then I get the "thank you for playing" screen and am offered the chance to play again--"you have 60 minutes remaining".

I was having a problem with games not running for me, so I installed a new video card and all the games I couldn't play before play fine, except this one and the ce of this one!

trishac
Seahorse
Seahorse
36 Posts

[Post New]by trishac on Aug 24, 10 1:23 AM
miss5angels wrote:Has anybody else had trouble with this game saving?? Every time I quit and then go back, I'm back to the entrance and have to start all over.

I have had a similar problem. Every time I stop playing (you do have to eat and sleep) when I go back in the screen is frozen. I have to alt con del to get out. If I make up a new profile it works fine but only until I stop. I get a bit further each time but it is getting tedious. It is a real pity because I really like the game.

[Post New]by Clarks101 on Aug 24, 10 10:43 AM
chicka31 wrote:I can not get light in the factory. just a dark screen also.
Here too. any suggestions would be appreciated.

abarrett
Clownfish
Clownfish
990 Posts

[Post New]by abarrett on Aug 24, 10 2:30 PM
I went to download the demo of the SE to see if this was the game I wanted to use a credit for. I had previously demoed the CE, and the SE demo let me continue from where the CE finished. I ended up having the same problem with the dark factory that others are having.
I find it unusual for BFG to not be able to correct this, so I will pass on this one right now. Hopefully BFG will fix this because I would really like to buy this next month. Now on to find something to buy.

Valdy
Marlin
Marlin
9,383 Posts

[Post New]by Valdy on Aug 25, 10 12:46 AM
abarrett wrote:I went to download the demo of the SE to see if this was the game I wanted to use a credit for. I had previously demoed the CE, and the SE demo let me continue from where the CE finished. I ended up having the same problem with the dark factory that others are having.
I find it unusual for BFG to not be able to correct this, so I will pass on this one right now. Hopefully BFG will fix this because I would really like to buy this next month. Now on to find something to buy.

It is rather unusual that you have to choose a different profile and start all over again after playing the game in the CE version.
I played other demos in the CE version and then continued to play the Standard version with no problems at all. However, with this game you have to start from scratch with a new profile.

I really wanted to buy the Standard version, because I thought this was a really good game. However, seeing all these problems players have - far too many for my liking - I won't buy it unless there will be a new updated version out.

heartless500
Catfish
Catfish
1,605 Posts

[Post New]by heartless500 on Aug 25, 10 9:55 AM
hey all you fishies! i was having problems with the game freezing after trying the demo as well...contacted tech support about it (demo ran fine, full purchased game did not)

Here is what I was told to do (running XP w/SP3):

1) First, uninstall the game from the computer again
2) Then, click "Start," open the "Control Panel," then click on "Folder Options"
3) Click on the "View" tab and check "Show hidden files and folders"
(if you dont already have your computer set to do this)
4) Navigate to this location to find the game's saved data (be sure to replace USERNAME with the name you use to login to your computer):

C:\Documents and Settings\USERNAME\Application Data\Orneon\Echoes of the Past - The Castle of Shadows

5) Right-click on that folder and delete the entire thing
6) Reinstall your game again from the Purchase History section of your account

Basically the same thing that elizclayton posted.

This worked like a charm for me! I was able to get thru the WHOLE game with NO issues! (granted, i did not leave the game, so I am not sure about whether or not it would still freeze when you go back in, but I will maybe try that later just to see...)

The issue seems to be stemming from the saved demo files....or at least that is how I see it - once i got rid of that folder and did a fresh install it worked great.

Good Luck to all you fishies out there!

Edited on 08/25/2010 at 9:56:34 AM PST

[Post New]by ferrbay on Aug 25, 10 7:22 PM
I DO NOT Want To Start Over
Any way around this that you know?

I played Castle of Shadows Collectors Edition just fine until the one hour trial automatically ended (before one hour actually)
I was really enjoying it and spent $19.95 to continue the game.
Since I paid for it I am stuck at a black screen with just the book on the top left and the ? on the top right.
I can drop down my inventory or read the book but nothing else.
If I try to go to main menu it freezes.
Either way I cannot get out of this game without control alt delete and am very frustrated.
I have deleted and reinstalled game several times (yes after supposed update came out) and have had no better result.
My PC is about 3 months old and kept fully updated (remember the game worked fine until I paid).
What is BFG planning on doing to help the little fish that pay there salary?
If I have to start this game over I am going to be very angry and will probably cancel my membership.

Valdy
Marlin
Marlin
9,383 Posts

[Post New]by Valdy on Aug 26, 10 12:46 AM
heartless500 wrote:hey all you fishies! i was having problems with the game freezing after trying the demo as well...contacted tech support about it (demo ran fine, full purchased game did not)

Here is what I was told to do (running XP w/SP3):

What about those who use Vista?

The thing is... if you have to go through all that stuff just so you can play a game you should be able to play by just clicking the 'play' button, then I think it should be up to the developers to fix all those problems and bring out a new version.

From the problems with games I have seen lately, it seems to me that games are brought out too quickly, before they have been properly tested and fixed. I never, but never used to have problems with games, and now I get the odd glitch here and there, which is just no fun. If I buy a PC game on a disc I also expect it to run smoothly and without a hitch, and without me having to go through a lot of commands in order to fix things myself (I don't like to fiddle around with files anyway), so why can't that be the same with downloadable games?

[Post New]by nicap101 on Aug 27, 10 11:25 PM
Micral wrote:I too am getting a dark screen with just the inventory and menu option. It hangs when going to the Main Menu option. Strange, but although this is 'Tomorrow's Game' when I started the trial version it picked up from my previous session (I'm totally senile and forgot I'd already tried this). Even though I've tried this game before, I still have 56 minutes left on this new trial. Coincidentally I'd previously finished at the stage just before clicking forward into the black hole. Have I really lost the plot, or has this been released before ???

I'm with ya, did the same " I know who you are" thing with me. but it did allow me to play another 60 min. (which was mostly me trying to figure out what the heck I was/had already done) I went ahead and purchased the game, in hopes it was a "free trial" error -only to end up w/ a glitch in the pharmacy, which in turn stalled the entire game!?! I really wanted to have a glitch free time!

marloflip
Squid
Squid
67 Posts

game wont play!

[Post New]by marloflip on Aug 30, 10 5:36 AM
I successfully downloaded this game and happily played it for about 1 hour and then had to log off.
Came back later to play again and nothing..it wont play.
It was purchased using a free game code.
I get this message problem (820-400). Please help!

[Post New]by brains707 on Aug 31, 10 2:09 AM
THIS IS A QUESTION NOT A REPLY
I AM NEW ON HERE SO DONT KNOW WAY AROUND YET BUT I HAVE GOT RIGHT TO THE END OF MY GAME AND MY CURSOR WILL NOT MOVE
I HAVE HAD A GREAT TIME GETTING THIS FAR NOW DISSAPOINTED I CANT FINISH IT ANY IDEAS WHAT TO DO......................

[Post New]by likethisgame on Aug 31, 10 11:09 AM
I have entered the castle and teh withc locked me up somewhere. I cannot move the mouse. I can see everything but cannot navigate to where I need to go

[Post New]by MePlayingGames on Sep 10, 10 9:07 AM
Apparently many of us are having the same problem in different stages of the game. We leave the game with a puzzle completed only to return and the game thinks we still need to complete it, but the "part" we need to complete it is gone since we already used it. For me its the garment factory. i already did the fuse box puzzle but now it doesn't recognize that I've done it and so the lights are off and I cannot proceed with the game.

So I have a question; What is the purpose of this forum? Do the tech people look at it? I haven't seen any answers or solutions posted, not even a note saying they are working on it. Just wondering if anyone is fixing it or if it just is what it is and we'll never get to play this game. I enjoyed the part I played and would like to buy it and finish it. But I'm not buying it while it doesn't work.

Mr_Russ
Whale Shark
Whale Shark
16,662 Posts

[Post New]by Mr_Russ on Sep 12, 10 2:03 AM
So I have a question; What is the purpose of this forum? Do the tech people look at it?
The purpose of this forum is to tell other players that there is a problem.

For letting CS know that there is a problem and getting help, use the green envelope on the right. Click on it, then click on the Contact Us hyperlink, then select Technical Issues from the drop-down list.

Mr_Russ
Whale Shark
Whale Shark
16,662 Posts

[Post New]by Mr_Russ on Sep 13, 10 3:54 AM
brains707 wrote: THIS IS A QUESTION NOT A REPLY
I AM NEW ON HERE SO DONT KNOW WAY AROUND YET BUT I HAVE GOT RIGHT TO THE END OF MY GAME AND MY CURSOR WILL NOT MOVE
I HAVE HAD A GREAT TIME GETTING THIS FAR NOW DISSAPOINTED I CANT FINISH IT ANY IDEAS WHAT TO DO......................
I think this may be true for everybody.
The game updates your time taken but doesn't exit. Only ctrl alt del works.

Go to: