Re:Your Comments and Reviews for The Seawise Chronicles: Untamed Legacy

[Post New]by rosie28sammy on Aug 30, 10 9:48 PM
I lasted 15 minutes into the demo before I had to quit. The items were difficult to find because some of the scenes are dark. I found having to change from the "items to find" pop-up to the "items have" very irritating. The cursor was somewhat ticky for me as well. I thought there was still too much dialogue even though there are some sections you can use a skip button for. The graphics themselves aren't bad, just dark. The hint button never needed to be refreshed which was nice for this game, although I found it to not be helpful at all in some cases. Sorry, but a definite pass for me.

Lunarea
Guppy
Guppy
153 Posts

[Post New]by Lunarea on Aug 30, 10 10:11 PM
Word of caution: If you suffer from motion sickness, you may want to skip this game. The scenes scroll left and right at a fast pace. With that out of the way, here's my review:

I played for half an hour and wasn't terribly impressed.

Graphics were very pretty. Lovely painted scenes with animated cutscenes. I wasn't bothered by the music, but I did have my sounds set rather low.

The story struck me as something that's meant for a younger audience - which is why it was rather strange to hear a rather masculine grown-up doing the voice over. The story itself seemed to have the classic fantasy element -which I adored. But the vocabulary used was simple and a little on the boring side. The cutscenes were also very long and not always necessary.

It's the gameplay and features that turned me off. There's a bar on the bottom that shows you what fragments you're looking for while your mouse is hovering over it. If you move the mouse, it disappears. You also have an inventory bag that you can open and close. By the time I stopped playing, I had a multi-pocket bag and I felt like a true frustrated traveler that has to rummage through bags to find that one needed item. So much trouble just to guess if one of the 10 items in my possession is used in the scene. There was also a lot of waiting for things to load and going from one scene to another staggered the smoothness of gameplay.

Also featured is fast-loading hint button - which is good because I must have used "Hint" at least a dozen times in the first two scenes and I always play without trying to use any. Occasionally, the hints will also point out fragments that you can't get yet or repeatedly get stuck on pointing where you're supposed to use an item. So, one has to resort to using a walkthrough to figure out what to do next. I only got to do 1 puzzle, and that was to save the satyr from the vines. It seemed like I kept miss-clicking and blundering about than trying to solve a puzzle. In the end, I skipped it.

But the most frustrating thing was that a lot of the fragments were obscured by the environment. Some fragments were behind jungle leaves and you don't get to see them if your screen is even a fragment of an inch to the side. It was very frustrating to see the hints point to some area where I could see absolutely nothing.

remmah17
Seahorse
Seahorse
34 Posts

[Post New]by remmah17 on Aug 30, 10 11:00 PM
I'm with fstar, that popping up and down clues/inventory box was annoying and very hard to see in the dark. Not a very good game at all and not well tested! so bigfish this one is a no for me too!!

havasulady
Lobster
Lobster
81 Posts

[Post New]by havasulady on Aug 31, 10 12:02 AM
"Developers, please make note of the fact that most of us would like smoothly flowing, intelligible and intelligent dialogue! This game has great potential, but the developers really missed the boat. No sale here."

So true Thistle809

No sale, no way! The idea of dialog in some places and reading copy in others seems completely unorganized. Not being able to change the curser is always a negative for me. Childish and disappointing game.

Valdy
Marlin
Marlin
9,383 Posts

[Post New]by Valdy on Aug 31, 10 4:11 AM
This could be a great HOG/Adventure game, but... The translation into English is to weep for. 'This hunk seems odd' when talking about a mound of earth is just one of the many examples of bad English I have come across while playing for half an hour - couldn't bear to play any longer than that.

And why can't I change that terrible claw-like cursor to a standard one?

I wouldn't pay $6.99 for this game, let alone $9.99. I simply cannot believe that BigFish is distributing this game in such an unfinished state.

jeannieD
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
14 Posts

[Post New]by jeannieD on Aug 31, 10 4:29 AM
Wellll, I was all set to write a few scathing words about this game,,,,but,,I think I will give it a while for the dust in my brain to settle, and just leave a few comments.
First, I did not enjoy the demo at all. It actually aggravated me to the point of making me finish the whole hour just to prove to myself that I could!!! (1) that music and those backround sounds were just annoying! (2) that curser,ohhhhh, that curser. (3) really really annoying, was the popping up and down of the inventory/clue bar.(key or no key),,,and (4) crazy small frags, hidden in crazy dark places. OK there's the few bad ones.
Then there's (5) the story could be very charming. (6) at least the developers tried something new with that Inventory bag buisness.,and last but not least (7) game has no timer, so if played at a nice slow relaxing pace, which I am feeling it should be, one may be able to get used to these things. Soooo, all in all , Yes I finished the demo, but will not buy immediately, maybe for a rainy day or a DD.
Thanks for listening and enjoy!

ingeash
Minnow
Minnow
252 Posts

[Post New]by ingeash on Aug 31, 10 10:54 AM
I love it but I hate it! The problem solving is very difficult for me, I don't feel relaxed which is what I like with a bit of challenge..... no skip button where anyone who want's to cop out can't. I THINK THE PROBLEMS TAKE OVER THE GAME when you have to go to and fro to find these symbols and I'm still not clear about the suitcase, In fact I seem to have moved on without it. Now past the door with the two guards, got the guards inside two rooms out of the way and am now having played the first mini game on the big door, trying to work out the next and I feel like quiting and playing something a bit more relaxing. I hate keep getting stuck. maybe its just me but I think a skip button should be compulsory...

gameslvr
Clownfish
Clownfish
553 Posts

A game for those players that don't want their "hand held" throughout the game...

[Post New]by gameslvr on Aug 31, 10 10:56 AM
mycatluna wrote:I personally think this game is great...and having played every hidden object game on BigFish, I can say that this one is indeed challenging. The reason for this is that while you are searching for fragments of objects (and it is a mix of FROG and HOG), there are no sparkles telling you that a piece might be hidden behind a book, or a suit of armor. You, as the player, have to look for logical hiding places and then click on them to find a piece of the object you are looking for. I found this to be the most challenging of all and found myself clicking on all sorts of random objects to see if they would move and reveal what I am searching for. There are also areas that turn into magnifying glasses where you can look behind objects, such as crates and barrels, etc. This means quite a bit of moving your cursor around the screen looking for these hot spots.

I did not find the cursor inhibiting in any way nor did I find the controls to be clunky.

Some players may not like it because this is not a game that holds your hand all the way through. The player has to be completely immersed and invested in this game in order to find all the objects, solve all the puzzles, and locate the many varied "hot spots" throughout the game.

If you are a player that likes a challenge, and appreciates a game that doesn't hold your hand throughout, then you will like and appreciate this game. If you are a player that is looking for something relaxing that doesn't require much thought, then this game is probably not for you.

But it is a definite buy for me. It may be a little "rough around the edges" as one player stated in their forum, but I can overlook that and appreciate the creativity and challenge that this game delivers.

Happy gaming!

-mycatluna

gameslvr
Clownfish
Clownfish
553 Posts

[Post New]by gameslvr on Aug 31, 10 11:03 AM
Well, excuuuuuse me mycatluna. I actually do like a game that has a challenge and no, I don't need to have my hand held through a game. As many people have commented the floating bar at the bottom was a major distraction. And I did click on the little key at the top but nothing much happened for me.

Different people have different tastes. That's why there is a variety of games on BF.

cagamenut
Guppy
Guppy
154 Posts

[Post New]by cagamenut on Aug 31, 10 11:24 AM
I felt like I was playing in a comic book, and didn't like the graphics at all. Always mute the music so I can't comment on that. I enjoy FROG games but this one was just not up to par. The cursor was a little strange but not really a problem. Some of the objects were very difficult to find due to the dark or cluttered background. A no buy for me after playing the trial version for 20 minutes.

OzzyRobyn
Minnow
Minnow
254 Posts

[Post New]by OzzyRobyn on Aug 31, 10 12:09 PM
What a lot of grumps there are here!

I quite like the game, it's fairly complex and "thinkie" without being frustrating. People who say they can't see things should maybe increase their screen brightness and/or wear glasses: I have vision problems and I'm playing windowed but I can find most things. I agree the cursor takes some getting used to but it's not that bad, you just use the point. I also agree that it's annoying one can't advance the dialog, fast readers have to wait for it to finish, but that's common in many games. As for it being for kids, it's a game. I think it's nice to have a change.

sunloving
Seahorse
Seahorse
25 Posts

[Post New]by sunloving on Aug 31, 10 1:51 PM
What's with much of the dialogue in parentheses? Awkward to read, and no chance to skip the opening story. Moving from the inventory bag to the hint was frustrating because the screen wanted to scroll unless you deliberately moved the cursor to the bottom of the screen. FROG pieces are often way too tiny for me even though I love a good challenge.

I am currently stuck at freeing the goatman. I found the shovel, placed the statue did the fire and now what? The hints for both scenes tell me I should try elsewhere. Where? I can't seem to move beyond those two scenes and am left with a slingshot with no stones or whatever is supposed to go in it.

I doubt whether I'll buy until it's $2.99- too many other great games to spend my $$ on.

[Post New]by blipsarcade on Aug 31, 10 4:10 PM
I am so disappointed in this game. Constant freezing and crashing. Hard to navigate screens. Tons of graphical and sound glitches. No sale on this one BFG!

Eisteepfirsich
Dolphin
Dolphin
6,584 Posts

[Post New]by Eisteepfirsich on Aug 31, 10 5:25 PM
This is a great game for lovers from frog-hogs.
Pros: - Very clear graphic
- Nice graphic (comicstyle)
- Interesting storyline
Contras: - The needed items (toolbar) dissapiering every few seconds, thats frustrating
- Items are sometimes a little bit hard to see

Will I buy it? Maybe, if we have the next sale, but not yet. Its not a bad game, but nothing for me now.

BigTfromAV
Guppy
Guppy
139 Posts

[Post New]by BigTfromAV on Aug 31, 10 6:26 PM
Wow what a disappointment. This game is poorly executed from the incorrect language usage to the inability to skip dialogue - not very much fun. The hints are not very good either. Didn't even make it through the trial before uninstalling.

[Post New]by cowenz on Aug 31, 10 7:06 PM
i think this game is not so bad like they say.. yeup,its hard to find the object at some areas and the toolbar keep popping up and down(it's annoying.. ) but the gameplay and the artwork and yeah i love challenging so this is a buy for me..

Edited on 08/31/2010 at 7:10:44 PM PST

Cromaxgal
Clownfish
Clownfish
730 Posts

[Post New]by Cromaxgal on Aug 31, 10 9:49 PM
Pretty lame. I've played about 30 minutes but am uninstalling

Cordia
Flounder
Flounder
2,009 Posts

[Post New]by Cordia on Sep 1, 10 2:11 AM
I just played a half an hour of the trial, and I am undecided. I am on the "potion" quest, so I haven't gotten very far in yet, but here are my first impressions:

I love FROGs.
The art is fairly high quality, and it uses a scrolling screen mechanic that is very similar to the way some of the scrolling screens work in The Clockwork Man games.
I actually enjoyed the music, but found the ambient noise to be a little much.
The storyline is hampered by poor localization. This is the point that may lose my purchase. A lot of the dialog is very stilted and strange.
I think this game has some really clever IHOG-type features. I love opening cupboards and moving things to see what's under them. I think this is done extremely well.
The world seems to be borrowing pretty heavily from Tolkien, almost to the point of plagiarism.
The storyline is yet another "let's go rescue an elderly relative!" with a healthy dose of "we're too young to shave and have no business being out by ourselves."
I didn't mind the cursor. I was worried because it ran a little slowly at the menu screen, but once I got into the game itself, it worked just fine. I tend to like the custom cursors, because I think they're pretty, but I do understand how this one might not appeal to everyone, particularly if it's jumpy or laggy.
EDIT: Oh yeah, I forgot to mention the voice acting. It is WEIRD. The guy who is narrating has an interesting voice, but it just rubs me the wrong way to have the exposition voiced and the dialogue silent. That just may be a stylistic preference; I don't know- it's just so strange, to me. Also, despite the fact that I do like his voice, it does kind of seem out of place here. I think it could have been handled differently- if they only want to get one actor, that's fine, but voice the dialogue and cut most of the exposition.

The bottom line: At $2.99 this would be an absolute steal for me, but since I have such a back log of games to be played, I don't feel compelled to buy this at full price. If I didn't have anything to occupy me, though, I'd probably check to see if there's a good amount of gameplay left and grab it if there is. The localization problems weren't as bad as many others I've seen lately, though they were very off-putting. Still, I did enjoy the demo, so I might file this one away to be purchased at a sale.

Edited on 09/01/2010 at 2:16:56 AM PST

spiritc
Guppy
Guppy
107 Posts

[Post New]by spiritc on Sep 1, 10 6:18 PM
I really was enjoying this gme but have given up. No matter what I did I could not open the suitcase or the rock in the cave. Even after using walkthru and spoiler.

I am a big fan of Big Fish but am very disappointed in this game as I cannot go on and must abandon it. So sorry I purchased this game.

[Post New]by Evildarklink on Sep 2, 10 10:56 AM
First things first, the game isn't sorted in HOG, which would be better suited in my head... ya know, finding things hidden in a background... anyway, I don't like that kind of games much, thought I would still give it a try... couldn't find anything except with the hint option, and even there, I sometimes wasn't in agreement with the thing because the crap you're supposed to find doesn't look like anything... It's still better than regular HOGs in way that it's not find random objects in a complete mess(seriously, who's having so much of a hard time than that picking up his things after himself) A no buy for me, 'cause it's not at all the type of game I like but it does seem to be better than average

Go to: