Re:Your Comments and Reviews for Escape from Frankenstein's Castle

[Post New]by toggrl on Sep 7, 10 4:05 PM
I played the 1 hour demo and got through Level 7. It's a fairly easy game and it would be too short for me to buy. Also, as some other reviewers noted, it's annoying that the game has to load every time you move from one room to another. Also, there seem to be some bugs in the program. I had to look at the walkthrough to make sure I was doing the right thing, and I was, but the program didn't recognize my actions and I couldn't move on. I had to quit the game and start it again for some of the actions to be recognized, entering the fireplace in the Banquet Hall, for example. Then, on Level 7, no matter how many times I restarted the game or how many different avenues I tried to complete the same task, I couldn't find Horatio. Quad core, 32bit, Vista Ultimate.

Buggy game that's too easy. Don't buy.

[Post New]by xandersmomk on Sep 7, 10 5:28 PM
This game is BLAH! The graphics are not good and screen load times are hateful and numerous. Didn't get half way into the demo and uninstalled it. Who drew the stop motion graphics? A two year old? Hated it.

mafabray
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
15 Posts

[Post New]by mafabray on Sep 8, 10 6:12 PM
Nope! not for me,takes to long inbetween scenes,quite boring I would say

ZedTBear
Seahorse
Seahorse
20 Posts

[Post New]by ZedTBear on Sep 8, 10 6:25 PM
I rarely write a comment but of the 100+ games I have played from BigFish this must have been one of the worst. Of course there will be a few that think this game is great but for those like me ... don't waste your time.

FinnyFine
Seahorse
Seahorse
33 Posts

[Post New]by FinnyFine on Sep 9, 10 8:23 AM
Firstly the screen loading issues other people have commented on is definitely annoying. Despite this, I like this game very much. BUT, it is extremely short. I got about 3/4 done in the demo time, even with the long loading of scenes.

If this game was longer, I would buy it, even with the screen loading problems. But even though I would love to finish it, it's just not worth buying for the little time remaining.

kickenbass
Seahorse
Seahorse
36 Posts

[Post New]by kickenbass on Sep 9, 10 10:35 AM
Played the demo, well....most of it.

Too many annoying things in the game to go into -

Ms. Quinn

Micha1234
Clownfish
Clownfish
910 Posts

[Post New]by Micha1234 on Sep 9, 10 7:42 PM
I have to say I actually liked this game. I don't usually play adventure games but I tried it since it showed up in the HOGs (even though there's not one hidden object scene to be found in the whole game).
It can't be too difficult since I got through chapter 7 in my trial hour - with out a walk through I might add....I'm a heavy user of those ...usually
The story line was ok, I don't know about the music, I play mostly with the sound turned off.
I had good graphics and really not much of a lack moving between scenes.
So, if I can play this game that far with just the help in the game....it can't be that hard )
I'm still not sure if I'll actually purchase it since I checked the walk through after wards and saw that I was about 2/3 through the whole game. So it's not very long.
Oh and maybe I didn't have as many technical issues since I have a brand new computer.....after I managed to toast another machine quite thoroughly )

gntpat
Starfish
Starfish
46 Posts

[Post New]by gntpat on Sep 9, 10 10:50 PM
Half of the 45 minutes of free play I chose to do was taken up with constant loading and reloading of scenes. No other game has to load as often. The directions to different locations was sometimes sticky. I wont buy the game as it took too long to load. I read other comments from frustrated players and that is the main complaint, even from a Beta tester.

RainbowElf
Herring
Herring
308 Posts

[Post New]by RainbowElf on Sep 10, 10 6:22 PM
I liked what I played but then when I checked how long the game was it did not seem worth the money.
I made it to almost the eight chapter by the way.

The game-play was simple and like others I did find the loading thing really annoying, it made me wonder if it was there to make the game seem longer then it actually is.

Unlike some I liked the card game, I found it a nice break when you where fed up of wandering around the castle.

One of the things I was a bit annoyed at was the fact that the characters where not wearing helmets.
Wearing a helmet is very important when riding on a motorbike or scooter...Or even a bike.

An OK game but not long enough for me to buy.

dollyflower
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,373 Posts

[Post New]by dollyflower on Sep 10, 10 6:57 PM
I like this game and would buy, but the endless loading between every scene is a big turnoff , so no buy. I thought maybe it was just me, but, seems other fishies are bothered by it, too. Bummer!

chumface
Herring
Herring
355 Posts

[Post New]by chumface on Sep 11, 10 12:41 PM
WAY TOO EASY!!! TOO SHORT!! WASTED A CREDIT!

silverink
Minnow
Minnow
200 Posts

[Post New]by silverink on Sep 13, 10 7:14 AM
This game was not bad in terms of adventure elements, but lots of drawbacks in other respects, including short length. Graphics were not the greatest - especially the cut scene graphics, and the loading was a constant interruption. Also, the puzzles were way too easy. But Isabelle's story was pretty good, and I liked moving around the castle - those parts were well done for the most part. So overall, in spite of the downsides, I did enjoy it - but it is far from a top quality game.

qpr1
Clownfish
Clownfish
733 Posts

[Post New]by qpr1 on Sep 13, 10 8:50 AM
too many things wrong about this game, not for me

GloomySunday
Guppy
Guppy
167 Posts

[Post New]by GloomySunday on Sep 13, 10 12:21 PM
Well, I was of course shocked to see that they placed Frankenstein's Castle near Vienna, whereas in reality it is near Frankfurt, tsk. But that was not the reason I stopped playing after forty minutes. Basically, I have the same complaints others have voiced here: the constant loading was very annoying. And I don't even understand why each room had to load so much. But, while annoying, it was bearable, it's not like it loaded for an extremely long time.

But what really got me was the constant going back and forth. There's even a map but it's not possible to click on the room one wants to go to. I've never been able to endure a game with constant walking back and forth (and having to click through countless rooms and corners to do so).

In addition to that, the clicking didn't work so well, at least not for me. It happened a few times that I clicked on an item and nothing happened, even though it was the right item. Example: at one point the character has to make a sandwich and spices are needed. I clicked on the spice container about five times and then decided that it must have been the wrong item as nothing happened. Then, the hint function told me that it was the item I needed.

The story is so-so. The beginning is a bit silly - if you were held captive in a castle, would you obediently dust the bookshelves? I also couldn't keep all those characters apart and didn't care enough to bother. The ghost accompanying the character is a nice feature. There are certainly worse stories, but also better ones.

Didn't like the atwork of the playscenes, but the graphics of the rooms themselves was very nice.

I thought the hint system wasn't bad, I like the step-by-step approach of hints. You don't get the complete solution right away but hints go from general to more detailed. Though it's a bit annoying that the hints sometimes don't reveal the location of an item. Usually, items are easy enough to find, but occasionally I couldn't find something and I didn't care to spend half an hour clicking myself through rooms to search for it as moving around was so tedious.

So - some nice ideas, but not user-friendly enough for my taste.

[Post New]by kjmalg on Sep 13, 10 4:12 PM
The game was okay, I agree that the constant loading between rooms was annoying. However, I have a MAJOR gripe that I got to the final escape lock and realized I hadn't found all the collectibles. Went back and got the last one and couldn't return to the lock to finish the game. Every time I tried to leave the room, (I accidentally stumbled into the Main Lab instead of the Escape Door), Isabella would pop up and tell me I needed to find the key. I had already found the key and it was in the escape lock. Got permanently stuck in the Main Lab. Any suggestions?

bbelle
Clownfish
Clownfish
795 Posts

[Post New]by bbelle on Sep 14, 10 3:26 PM
kjmalg wrote:The game was okay, I agree that the constant loading between rooms was annoying. However, I have a MAJOR gripe that I got to the final escape lock and realized I hadn't found all the collectibles. Went back and got the last one and couldn't return to the lock to finish the game. Every time I tried to leave the room, (I accidentally stumbled into the Main Lab instead of the Escape Door), Isabella would pop up and tell me I needed to find the key. I had already found the key and it was in the escape lock. Got permanently stuck in the Main Lab. Any suggestions?

I had the same problem. I am going to reinstall it and try again. I couldn't get any help for this so trying again was the best thing I could think of.

OzzyRobyn
Minnow
Minnow
254 Posts

[Post New]by OzzyRobyn on Sep 15, 10 12:03 PM

I'm liking this game. The scenes only take a second or less to load for me. I think the people who are complaining might have older machines and/or not enough RAM. RAM is the secret - when you upgrade get as much as you can afford! Some games, like this one, will run completely in RAM if you have a couple of Gb or more which makes them much faster.
The puzzles are are story-related and fairly logical, they're not so bizarre and pointless that it's impossible to guess how to solve them. I haven't gone far into it yet but I'm glad I bought it.

[Post New]by A_Brame on Sep 15, 10 7:14 PM
16 minutes into the demo I quit and uninstalled it because of the loading between every scene. It was only a few seconds, but tiresome and made me not want to play further. Nice graphics. Interesting storyline. Needs smoother transition between locations.

Tikatoy
Minnow
Minnow
269 Posts

[Post New]by Tikatoy on Sep 16, 10 6:34 PM
The loading times between areas weren't actually that long, but I was still slightly annoyed. I think it was to do with the loading screen they used. The game is pretty short, in the 2-3 hour range, but that's fine with me since these games are so cheap. (Yes, $5 or $7 is cheap compared to $50-$60 for most games!)

I liked the story and the comic-style cut scene art was nice. I actually really liked the "View Isabella's Memory" scenes a lot. The puzzles were on the easy side.

limey_scale
Guppy
Guppy
191 Posts

[Post New]by limey_scale on Sep 18, 10 5:55 AM
This must be the most boring game ever! I reckon I spent half the demo time waiting for each scene/room to load - I give it /5

Go to: