CiCiRR
Lobster
Lobster
84 Posts

Re:Nightmare Adventures: The Witch's Prison

[Post New]by CiCiRR on Sep 5, 10 9:34 PM
notredame wrote:
gentlegirl wrote:Hi!

I just tried this game and i like it. The downside is that the cursor can not be controlled when i try to use something from my inventory. Very frustrating. I have sent a mail to customer support.

I would have bought this game and was excited to try it. Thanks goodness I tried it.
I had the same problem as probably 1,000 more of us. Cursor spoiled the fun.
Glad I tried it out first. Definitely will not buy this one. You could do better Big Fish!!

CiCiRR
Lobster
Lobster
84 Posts

[Post New]by CiCiRR on Sep 5, 10 9:35 PM
notredame wrote:

I just tried this game and i like it. The downside is that the cursor can not be controlled when i try to use something from my inventory. Very frustrating. I have sent a mail to customer support.

I would have bought this game and was excited to try it. Thanks goodness I tried it.
Glad I tried it out first. Definitely will not buy this one. You could do better Big Fish!!

No problem here - at least, so far. But I do agree that some of the BF games of late have not been up to par.

CiCiRR
Lobster
Lobster
84 Posts

Re:Your Comments and Reviews for Nightmare Adventures: The Witch's Prison

[Post New]by CiCiRR on Sep 5, 10 9:36 PM
WolfenRaindancer wrote:No problems with the game...was so into it that the trial ran out. Usually i stop and go ahead and buy before that happens. I totally forgot about the sale so paid full price I like that I can figure out what to do without all the endless wandering around, clicking everywhere, and getting frustrated. I also like the bits of humor that i have found. I have used the walkthrough for a couple of the puzzles...but then I had just come off my three twelves and was exhausted. I didn't expect to stay up and play the game; I just wanted to try it. I am now drinking my 'morning' coffee, checked news and email, and BF, and I am going to return to the game any minute now, lol.

Forgot the special? Dummy. But I mean that in the nicest way - honestly.

riri4444
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
10 Posts

[Post New]by riri4444 on Sep 5, 10 11:12 PM
hope they come out with more!!!!

patnsky
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,415 Posts

[Post New]by patnsky on Sep 6, 10 12:12 AM
I liked that I could turn off the custom cursor from the get-go. I loved that they told us right away that there was no penalty for over clicking and infact to do lots of clicking. I also loved that we could brighten up the game in Options. At the begining Nightmare reminded me of another game that came out several years ago until she escaped from the gardeners cabin. From there on it was very different. I played a good share of the day today but when got to the last chapter, i found I was very bored. This is a game i am so glad i bought on Holiday Sale as I will never finish it. I find this happens when I am playing a game that requires me to use to much of the walkthrough.

Oh well, as the old saying goes: Different strokes for different folks.

Thanks BF for giving us sales every once in a while and also such a good variety of games in different genre,

patnsky
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,415 Posts

[Post New]by patnsky on Sep 6, 10 12:14 AM
noirangel wrote:Well that sucked. I couldn't get the cursor to work and even when I went back to my regular cursor it wouldn't work. I would have liked to play it but it just wouldn't run properly. Too bad.

Welcome to the pond noirangel...

Sometimes when I have a problem like that, I start all over and sign in with a different name and delete the original name I started out with. Give it a try.

patnsky
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,415 Posts

[Post New]by patnsky on Sep 6, 10 12:17 AM
CiCiRR wrote:
notredame wrote:

Did you turn off the customer cursor in Options at the Start? I always do that when given the choice.

dcairns
Lobster
Lobster
96 Posts

[Post New]by dcairns on Sep 6, 10 7:21 AM
I really enjoyed this game. I found the graphics very good, the story was fun and sort of spooky and the puzzles were somewhat challenging. I thought the length was good as well considering so many games are super short. I didn't have any problems with cursor, in fact, I didn't have any problems at all.

I would recommend this one, especially if you can get it at the sale price!

Elirana
Guppy
Guppy
122 Posts

[Post New]by Elirana on Sep 6, 10 9:27 AM
This is a superb game. The best I've had for a very long time. Beautifully rendered, great scenes, brilliant but fiendish puzzles and an intriguing storyline. To top it all, no H.O. scenes. Well, just a tiny one. Technically perfect. No glitches. My one complaint is, it kept me up until the small hours. I finished it today. My congratulations to Tim who seems to be the inspiration and developer. He is one of the best I've seen. I would have loved to have had the puzzles in an 'extra' to replay as the mood takes me. This is a definate replay game.
Please tell me there will be a sequel and then another and another and............
Well done BFG. You snagged a Biggie.

SherrieS
Minnow
Minnow
275 Posts

[Post New]by SherrieS on Sep 6, 10 9:49 AM
That demo hour went WAY too Fast!
Love the Humour--same tree-it's a fish--that alone was worth it!
Bought it & DH will play it & we will like it OODLEs....

crickets52
Starfish
Starfish
42 Posts

[Post New]by crickets52 on Sep 6, 10 10:38 AM
I started the demo, then shut off the custom cursor and restarted my computer and the game was quite so slow. Purchased and downloaded anyway because I got completely hooked!! I thought BF would come out with the fix before I got too far into the game but I could not wait!! Played with the sticky cursor and wacky inventory response and LOVED the game anyway. Played to the end and it took me approx 7 hours with several skipped puzzles as I had company and other things to do (came back at my first opportunity, tho!!). Can't wait for the fix to replay and complete those puzzles!! And it does look like a sequel is on the way. Can't wait!! Great long game without the crazy Collectors Edition price and got it on sale to boot! Kudos, BF!

Eisteepfirsich
Dolphin
Dolphin
6,584 Posts

[Post New]by Eisteepfirsich on Sep 6, 10 12:46 PM
I really like this game! I loving to figure out myself what to do next. For me - its a long game I think. I haven´t experienced any problems with the game(cursor or something): I have a new laptop (one week old), Windows 7 and full hd. The graphic is really superb and the gameplay is great fun. I will buy it today

Purplerabbit
Whale Shark
Whale Shark
18,590 Posts

[Post New]by Purplerabbit on Sep 6, 10 12:48 PM
I have finished the game and it took 2 hours and 40 minutes, but that's only because I knew what I was doing in the cemetary from the beta. I would say I knocked an hour off my original beta time (took around 1 and a half hours first time), so just shy of 4 hours.
This game is up there with MCF, but it's better because there's no HOG scenes! This is what a game should be and I'm actually getting tired of IHOGs because of the stupid list searches. I want more games like Witch's Prison.
Well done Tim and all, you did a fantastic job and this game has sky-rocketed to the top (others will follow once they get the cursor problem sorted!).
Right, what's next?

[Post New]by browneyesnsc on Sep 6, 10 1:03 PM
I really enjoyed this game, although it could have longer.

[Post New]by ocgarden on Sep 6, 10 1:41 PM
Love it. Puzzles can be difficult, but they are logical (given time to figure out the logic!) Hint system excellent (usually has told me what I really needed to know), and lots of fun to play

Highly recommend

lvfao
Parrotfish
Parrotfish
499 Posts

[Post New]by lvfao on Sep 6, 10 3:11 PM

Just finished, it! Not too sure about the ending, dunno if i really understood what exactly is the deal but omg was this fun...
puzzles sometimes were but oh so satisfying when solved!
i thought the length was just right, and had no problems with the cursor or anything but my older brain trying to figure out what to do next. Easy = boring in my book, so this was a really nice combo of not too hard but not too easy.

this will be a favorite for me

debdeb11
Guppy
Guppy
141 Posts

[Post New]by debdeb11 on Sep 6, 10 3:25 PM
I read the forums all the time to get reviews on new games (many thanks to all who post btw), but I have never posted. But due to this game I had to come to make my very first post - this game is AWESOME!!

I have always been an adventure gamer since Myst hooked me so many years ago. However I have been enjoying casual games, particularly the HOG/adventure hybrids the last couple years on Big Fish. The price is right here, and despite my love of adventure games I also enjoy the casual game that doesn't always require my brain cells to be firing on all cylinders to get through :-) But my true enjoyment is always the adventure type. This one gets it just right. Love the storyline, love the reading (as many classic adventure games have tons of reading), puzzles were logical and just the right difficulty for me. I also liked that there was some linearity to the game in order to move forward, but also gave some choices between 2 or 3 puzzles at any given section.

Thank you thank you to the developer and Big Fish for bringing us this excellent game. I have not enjoyed myself so much since Dire Grove. The offerings on Big Fish have been overall very very good and well worth the money this last couple months, but this one just hit the sweet spot for me. I will definitely continue to buy these types of games, and am so happy to see adventure gaming making a comeback. More please!

talisman018
Guppy
Guppy
148 Posts

[Post New]by talisman018 on Sep 6, 10 4:07 PM
Well... I like it. Very much. BUT there is a major slow-down problem with it. At least, in the demo there is.

PRO: Full of puzzles. Not "just another HOG". Not too hard for some, possibly just hard enough to be a challenge to others. Mostly, it's comprised of looking for what objects you need to move forward in the story. You can click anywhere, penalty free. The Skip meter, however, got as far as halfway and just stopped on my test run, so no idea if that's a glitch or what.

CON: Slow-down. Sometimes to the point of madness. I used the default cursor (looks like a grey arrowhead). People have reported a lot of trouble with the cursor, but I didn't have the same troubles that they did. (They reported that they couldn't access their inventory. I could, but verrrrry slowly at times. My demo ended at the door with the sliding gems puzzle. The slow-down here was VERY bad and I just didn't get a chance to try it since it was that slow.)

The humour is light and the creepiness factor low, but yes... there are occult overtones. If this bothers you, then steer clear. The graphics are quite good and clear. The storyline is pretty straight-forward with few surprises (at least as far as I got).

Despite the trouble I'm having with the slow-down, I'm going to go ahead and make a purchase, but only because it's on a sale day (holiday pricing). If it weren't for the lag-times, I'd fully recommend this game at full price. But the problem is annoying enough for me to only recommend it on sale.

Do the 1 hour demo before you buy. I think it's worth it.
Happy gaming!!

[Post New]by kimsmiracl on Sep 6, 10 4:22 PM
Cursor problems. Never got past the gate.

Jadakiss2000
Minnow
Minnow
209 Posts

LOVING Nightmare Adventures: The Witch's Prison

[Post New]by Jadakiss2000 on Sep 6, 10 5:16 PM
I seldom download the trials of games if they have great reviews but with so many having technical difficulties I decided to trial this one and boy am I glad I did. I was hooked after 15 minutes. No problems with anything! Played the hour and bought immediately. I had not intended to play this game being that I started Drawn last night. Oh well, I was only 10 minutes into Drawn so I'll just finish this one and then get back to Drawn. OK gotta go back to Prison. Get back at 'cha shortly.

Oh, I have come across some challenges but figured it all out without the Walk Through.

Go to: