ras7777
Seahorse
Seahorse
30 Posts

Re:Your Comments and Reviews for Dark Tales: ™ Edgar Allan Poe's The Black Cat Collector's Edition

[Post New]by ras7777 on Sep 12, 10 4:59 AM
I really enjoyed this game. Length of game play was longer than most.Bought the CE, referred to the strategy guide, twice. Additional game play in the CE, it was nice to have, but I did not feel it was worth the extra $$$ even at the reduced price. Over all great game, but wait for the regular version unless you really want the additional short level and music, screen saver and original story to read.

Re:Your Comments and Reviews for Dark Tales: ™ Edgar Allan Poe's The Black Cat Collector's Edition

[Post New]by apraurore on Sep 12, 10 8:41 AM
First post here. I usually just browse the forums to read what people think about games. I decided to post since, even though I did overall enjoy the demo, I did come across an annoying anachronism. Someone commented early on about the game not having any, but there is a glaring one. Gramophones did not exist in Poe's day. The first one was made sometime in the 1870s whereas Poe died in 1849. There were a few other little quibbles about some of the objects in the scenes, but I won't post anymore about this.

I sometimes think that game designers should keep away from basing games in the 'Romantic era' because invariably they toss in some bit of emblematic 19th century technology that actually wasn't invented yet.

Other than that, the game is pretty good. It seems about the same in quality as the other two games revolving around Poe.

[Post New]by happygrams18 on Sep 12, 10 9:38 AM
Welcome to the pond "apraurore"...we love new fishies!!

I agree with your posting...only things of that period presented should be used in the games. Not this game but others that may be set in the early 1900's have hamburgers, cell phones, tubes of lipstick....you get the picture.

I am going to wait for the regular version of the Poe game...don't want to but this is birthday month in our family and we have 7...yes 7 birthdays to get through financially!!!

We may be game players...but we are not dumb!! In fact, our intelligence is so great that we have become fishies of the greatest game site around.

Thanks Big Fish for the super games you present. Keep on keeping on!

susie_b
Minnow
Minnow
259 Posts

[Post New]by susie_b on Sep 12, 10 9:50 AM
I have just finished playing this game and it was FANTASTIC!! It was also quite a long game so great value for money I have just started on the BONUS part that comes with the CE and it is again totally different to before with more secret rooms to uncover The graphics were superb and the game was not too hard without being massively easy either! Big thanks to you this is better that the first Edgar Allen Poe one - hopefully there will be a third

[Post New]by janellmac on Sep 12, 10 2:35 PM
I got stuck with the razor, branch and rope/thread not working and finally I am just giving up. I can't make it work - downloaded it on two computers and still no luck. I'm not buying something that is frustrating when I play for relaxation. Not having any hints in the trial is a bad thing....

yourshannygirl
Dolphin
Dolphin
7,367 Posts

[Post New]by yourshannygirl on Sep 12, 10 3:00 PM
Okay I finished it and I LOVED it! It was great!!! Good graphics and music and I liked that the skip button on the puzzles filled fast enough that if I didn't like the puzzle I could skip it. Most of the puzzles I could figure out on my own some of them I couldn't but it was a great game. I liked the extra game play on the CE edition! It was great how it played out like a real game and the price was just right with the membership price! PERFECT! I liked the music and everything! Great game guys!

[Post New]by AmandaMarie25 on Sep 12, 10 3:40 PM
I have downloaded free trial of poes black cat - halfway through - 25 mins to go and cannot get past the bit with the bench and dog at gate. also cannot find hint button to help me so guess there isnt one, even tho i am playing the game with hint button. can anyone help me? cos this is just annoying

[Post New]by AmandaMarie25 on Sep 12, 10 3:58 PM
just managed to connect razor thread and stick fluke more than anything - i clicked on the stick and it attached. but still cannot get ball out of hole or nail from bench even tho it says use tool for nail - the stick etc is now a tool - i wont be attempting the game anymore - complete waste of time. i just play for fun and to relax.

the poe creator maybe needs to look at gameplay and lack of hint button even tho it says there is a hint button.

dancemom1
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,198 Posts

[Post New]by dancemom1 on Sep 12, 10 4:20 PM
Bought this one on the 9th and play for a few hours here and there. I liked the demo and absolutely loved the full game. Now this is what we need all the time! Thanks!!!

Stevihj
Clownfish
Clownfish
507 Posts

[Post New]by Stevihj on Sep 12, 10 6:44 PM
The graphics are superb. The storyline excellent. Just one problem, it's a scary story. So I won't be buying for that alone. Otherwise, the gameplay is excellent. I trying love the puzzles and challenges the game presents. There are more than hidden objects in this game.

I would say it's an A. Enjoy!

goldens
Guppy
Guppy
100 Posts

[Post New]by goldens on Sep 12, 10 7:45 PM
What a wonderful game, and the artwork is beautiful. Definitely deserves to be a Collector's Edition.

snapnhiss
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,483 Posts

[Post New]by snapnhiss on Sep 13, 10 4:27 AM
I'd compare this to "Dire Grove"... it was that good.

MIGHTYMIDGE
Squid
Squid
73 Posts

[Post New]by MIGHTYMIDGE on Sep 13, 10 6:38 AM
I am into its finishing...I have enjoyed every moment of it.It is one of the best BF games yet...Super, absolutely super

walshar
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
16 Posts

[Post New]by walshar on Sep 13, 10 8:40 AM
Does anyone know when the regular version will be available, decided not to buy CE anymore, just can't justify the price.

parvacrux
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
14 Posts

Re:Your Comments and Reviews for Dark Tales: ™ Edgar Allan Poe's The Black Cat Collector's Editio

[Post New]by parvacrux on Sep 13, 10 9:17 AM
this is the kind of game that I love! beautiful, beautiful, beautiful!!
and the game is perfect, you don't have to become crazy using tools etc. everything works really good.
I'm forcing myself to play slowly 'cause I don't want finish the game...
BRAVO to the authors e to BigFish!
thank you!

Edited on 09/13/2010 at 9:18:39 AM PST

dlb628
Minnow
Minnow
252 Posts

[Post New]by dlb628 on Sep 13, 10 1:25 PM
Great game, and well worth the money. You get ample gameplay, and the bonus section is substantial enough to be worth the extra money. Great story, great graphics, and great gameplay. Nice integrated strategy guide, as well.

PowderMonkey
Guppy
Guppy
195 Posts

Re:Your Comments and Reviews for Dark Tales: ™ Edgar Allan Poe's The Black Cat Collector's Editi

[Post New]by PowderMonkey on Sep 13, 10 2:15 PM
Awesome game - needed the walkthrough quite early in the game, so went ahead and bought it. Am halfway through now, saving the rest for tomorrow - can hardly wait!
Absolutely worth every penny!

Edited on 09/13/2010 at 2:16:38 PM PST

JoJoLavin
Starfish
Starfish
42 Posts

[Post New]by JoJoLavin on Sep 13, 10 7:22 PM
Just finished the game, and the bonus game, and was not disappointed. Very clever, really liked the whole package. I just hope this hasn't spoiled me for other games. Left my expectations high. Am very grateful for the CE price break too! Again, great job Big Fish Games.

Cobweb55
Minnow
Minnow
256 Posts

[Post New]by Cobweb55 on Sep 13, 10 8:06 PM
This is hands down the BEST BF game I have purchased!!! (and I have a hundred or so...) The graphics are spectacular, the music is subtle and soothing and all the hidden objects are time and period accurate. The narrative is short, pertinent, non annoying and pertinent to what comes next. I downloaded the game last night, and it took several hours which was a bit aggravating, but I'm out of town on business and that's the price I had to pay using the hotel's wireless connection. Today was not a work day for me so I stayed in my room and played all day.... got through the game with no glitches, had to use the strategy guide a couple of times but had NO technical issues completing the game.

HOWEVER... while playing the extra game, I got into the safe, found the sun and got an error message that said something like "savefile.exe corrupt." It booted me out of the game back to the home page and ALL MY WORK WAS LOST!! It even lost my name, thus I would have to play all over again which I had planned to do anyway, but I was VERY aggravated with this!!!

All in all, this is a VERY high quality game and I really enjoyed playing it. Absolutely 5 stars and two thumbs up

Razor, Stick, String issue

[Post New]by Janissi on Sep 13, 10 8:21 PM
It appears a lot of people are having problems with this portion of the game in Chapter 1. I did and was pretty upset; however, there is a youtube video walkthrough available.

Take the razor and place it at the top of the stick. According to the strategy guide, it says to "drag" the razor. That is incorrect. Again, place the razor at the top of the stick. Grab the string and place it on the handle of the razor, and voila, you have the razor tool!

I hope this helps and you still have your hair because I was pulling mine out.

Have fun fellow gamers!

Go to: