emmydog
Guppy
Guppy
175 Posts

Re:Your Comments and Reviews for Victorian Mysteries: Woman in White

[Post New]by emmydog on Sep 19, 10 1:22 AM
This wasn't a bad game. The graphics were fine. Story was kind of interesting. I didn't encounter any of the glitches the other fishes speak of. I think Drawn and Reincarnations have spoiled me for other games. All in all, it was just ok.

GloomySunday
Guppy
Guppy
167 Posts

[Post New]by GloomySunday on Sep 19, 10 1:25 AM
Memoryamethyst wrote:I judge a game within the first five minutes of play. If it doesn't play well, I uninstall it and you've lost the sale.

If I had always done that, I would have missed out on several great games which were disappointing at first and then turned out to be fabulous.

sunnny
Manatee
Manatee
3,945 Posts

[Post New]by sunnny on Sep 19, 10 1:53 AM
I just finished the game and must say that it was one of the most
frustrating experiences with a good game.
It took me 3 different names to finish.
1) game crashed in the fishing scene and when I tried to return,
I found myself in front of the Fairly mansion with no way back
to the lake.
2) My own fault, I guess (?), although on the first try I managed to find
all painting supplies, this time, when I went upstairs to pick-up
the empty jar, the game was telling me "There is nothing for you to do here"
and indeed the jar, previously visible, was nowhere to be found.
3) Persona 3 finished the game

Without the glitches, I would give it 5 , but as it was,
I give it

Margie B., thank you for the walkthrough and all the help

[Post New]by psbs1818 on Sep 19, 10 2:00 AM
playing the full game in casual mode I have noticed a possible bug which stops me from progressng. got to the gazebo level and had reached the fish pond when i had to save the game. on returning to it, the game re-started at the entrance to the house, and from the bedroom it wouldnt let me return to the gazebo. My inventory holds a hammer and a fish so now i am stuck. any suggestions. Each room says there is nothing more to be done and wouldnt let me return to the gazebo

Edited on 09/19/2010 at 2:02:06 AM PST

[Post New]by grammakim on Sep 19, 10 10:30 AM
I have uninstalled and reinstalled this game. Still stuck in the graveyard-gate won't open.

[Post New]by RowanGolightly on Sep 19, 10 10:54 AM
Very nice graphics, fun story line and well, I'm a sucker for a happy ending. I also turned the music down and was annoyed at the whirling curser when I'd clicked too much; dizzy-making and totally unnecessary.

Two reasons this doesn't get top marks from me; one, it is SLOW to load and slow to play. Seriously, I got up and did other things while it loaded when I had to leave to go to the Walkthrough. Which leads me to the next complaint; please encourage more game developers to include the Strategy guide within the game. I've gotten spoiled by this in the last couple I've played and it makes a HUGE difference in my enjoyment of the game.

Third, (ok, 3 reasons) having the game be in distinct chapters means that one cannot go back to other parts if one has forgotten or neglected to pick up something. PITA! I had to start over three times because I hadn't gotten something I needed earlier in the game and couldn't go back to it (i.e. couldn't get back to the garden/lake.)

Having said that, let me congratulate the designers on not having anachronisms in a game set in the Victorian period. I'm a bit of historicity nazi as well as a garb/costume one (being a pro does make a difference here) and not seeing modern bits in the junk searches was very nice. Lovely mood and theme-setting; very nice.

The quizzes were quite easy and the play was fun.. Please watch that the piano music in games like this doesn't have so many mistakes that it becomes laughable, ok?

Overall, nicely done. It was worth the money even if I did get it as a free credit choice.

fourseas
Seahorse
Seahorse
31 Posts

[Post New]by fourseas on Sep 19, 10 12:16 PM
grabbinbugs wrote:Nice graphics and music of the period. Voice overs are done well. Junk pile style HOG scenes but objects are not overly difficult to find though the graphics here could have been a bit crisper but have seen much worse. If I'm not mistaken the stories about the Woman in White are based on a main character who is a ghost. There are two levels of play casual and expert with the normal differences between the two. No timer but over clicking will get you a crazy cursor for a bit. Did not have any download issues as others appear to have experienced however the hint button....an owl...is not working in my game. Am going to check other areas to see if there are items that need to be collected to charge it up. So far looks like a pretty decent game and story.

The novel, "The Woman in White," is based on a real woman who first appears to the protagonist as a 'ghostly' figure, but is very much alive.

Mr_Russ
Whale Shark
Whale Shark
16,662 Posts

[Post New]by Mr_Russ on Sep 19, 10 12:19 PM
having the game be in distinct chapters means that one cannot go back to other parts if one has forgotten or neglected to pick up something. PITA! I had to start over three times because I hadn't gotten something I needed earlier in the game and couldn't go back to it (i.e. couldn't get back to the garden/lake.)
Now that is a serious design flaw!

[Post New]by ladybluerb on Sep 19, 10 3:17 PM
I must be square because I really enjoyed the game. I had read the book several years ago . Really like the book. This game helped me remember most of the story. I liked the scenery, music, the players and their accents. The **** scenes were very interesting and easy enough to find.
The best thing was that every room was labled and there was a map. That made it easy to navigate.
The first HOS' hint button didn't work, but I just went to the forum and found the answer.(it works now)
I really like the Dark Tales. Keep them coming!

[Post New]by Morgan_La_Fay on Sep 19, 10 8:20 PM
I was extremely disappointed in the game and in the fact that it wasn't very long. The "maid" had a horrid demeanour and it was never really explained just who she was until you read the family tree.

I am not usually disappointed by BFG's... but this time I am. Sorry BFG, but I'd like a refund. This is not one of your better games and like most of the other players, I too found the "going wild" cursor to be distracting and the OWL (hint) took too long to recharge even in the 'relaxed' mode.

I had no problem with the game downloading or in opening or with the playing. I was just very disappointed. I expected better... I'm used to better.

alimac196
Seahorse
Seahorse
39 Posts

[Post New]by alimac196 on Sep 19, 10 8:52 PM
Firstly the pros: Nice graphics, decent storyline, sufficiently challenging puzzles that aren't so crazy hard that you'll never get the solution, and the music was well done.

Sadly there are quite a few cons: For me the biggest con is that this game honestly feels like it was intended to be much bigger but was released before they had a chance to finish it. There are areas that look like you could do something, but there is nothing there, as if the intention were to have additional chapters but they never went through with it. It just feels like it is just too short which was a major disapointment to me. The hints are very slow to recharge and not that helpful when you do use it, and it was quite slow to load as well.

To sum up, this has potential to be a very good game, but there is just not enough depth to it.

Edited on 09/19/2010 at 8:53:15 PM PST

[Post New]by Zookeeper13 on Sep 19, 10 9:27 PM
I was really looking forward to this game but unfortunately it could not get it to open after install of the demo. Come to think of it...I seem to have trouble with alot of games from "Freeze Tag" Games. All of my other games from Big Fish run great...actually yours is the only site I buy games from. So I know it is the individual games. Anyone else have trouble with the "Freeze Tag" brand???

[Post New]by tc1987 on Sep 20, 10 10:26 AM
Many have same problem but have not seen a solution yet. Getting back into the game at a later date and not being able to get back to where I left off. Need to get back to the lake to finish the trunk puzzle but can get no where. All rooms available say "there is nothing else to do here"...I seem to be permanetly stuck. Don't want to uninstall and reinstall because am on satellite and have max daily use of mb's. HELP

[Post New]by cat5400 on Sep 20, 10 3:53 PM
I've been playing games on Big Fish for several years now and have never felt the need to post a comment, however, I did not like Woman in White. It was a sloppy game. I did not like having to watch the intro everytime I played the game. The way the cursor moved was annoying. And I was allowed to "finish" the game before I had used the acid. I'm surprised that Big Fish would offer a game of this poor quality. With a bit more effort this could have been a pretty good game.

cnbmimi11
Guppy
Guppy
192 Posts

[Post New]by cnbmimi11 on Sep 20, 10 6:37 PM
Thought the game was great ..Love the ending..sure hope there is another chapter..

nightmusk
Guppy
Guppy
166 Posts

[Post New]by nightmusk on Sep 20, 10 11:54 PM
a good game
liked it
shame about all the issues though

zazu2008
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
15 Posts

[Post New]by zazu2008 on Sep 21, 10 12:02 AM
I really like HOGs and I appreciate a decent story. I feel like there should be some thought put into it.

I played the demo and so far I have enjoyed it.
I liked the voice overs. I didn't pay too much attention to the music. I've heard worse. The objects aren't too hard to find. The whirly pointer when you click too much was annoying, but I can get over it. The puzzles are pretty easy. At least the ones I've run into so far. The most annoying thing I came across was the fishing game and I made it through that without too much trouble.

I am intrigued by the story and want to find out what happens.
I will most likely buy this game.

And I didn't run into any glitches at all. I played on casual.

Edited on 09/21/2010 at 12:02:53 AM PST

Seji
Guppy
Guppy
120 Posts

[Post New]by Seji on Sep 21, 10 10:45 AM
I did not care for this game. I played about 10 minutes of the demo and uninstalled it.

I liked the dark atmosphere, the music and the voices but the graphics were not great and it's your typical junk pile HOG.

ARETHORN
Squid
Squid
77 Posts

[Post New]by ARETHORN on Sep 21, 10 6:01 PM
Finally got game to work after 4 to5 reloads and have now completed
Good graphics and story if a bit on the easy side.Pity all the qaulity and technical
issues with the game could not have been ironed out at the start
Overall a interesting start to a follow on ?????

ElisaRol
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
13 Posts

[Post New]by ElisaRol on Sep 22, 10 12:44 AM
Generally a good game. I really like soft piano music in games. I read the novel "Woman in White" and the game keeps the spooky feeling of the book. My one complaint is that the game doesn't always remember where you were if you exit and then re-join the game again. That is frustrating especially if you have a job, a family or a life of your own.

I started it a second time under a different player name and finished the whole thing in one sitting which took me a longer time, but at least the game didn't lose my place.

My advice is to play the game on a weekend.

To the makers of the game, it needs better game-memory.

Go to: