mamajay
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,222 Posts

Re:Your Comments and Reviews for Column of the Maya

[Post New]by mamajay on Oct 18, 10 5:56 PM
Well, I have given it another go, and I have to admit I have been defeated, lol. I'm sure some of those tiny items ARE NOT there UNTIL you hit the hint bar! I still found the comments funny, as far as I got, anyway, but I came a cropper on the crashed plane. The clue said move things to follow the 'trail' and I tried, I really did, but nothing happened - sigh. That was when I gave up. I don't mind using hints - that's what they are there for, after all, but I do hate not having any idea what to do next I may still buy it one day, if only to find out the rest of the story.

Ah well, C'est La Vie - life goes on and I shall wait for the next one, lol

There was a comment about buying American - I think I understand the reasoning for it, in that we wouldn't have to worry about "re - translating" the translated English, which is often very poor lol. However, as I am Australian, I often have to figure out what a lot of American terms mean, even after watching American films and tv shows all my life, lol. Even Some English terms have me stumped some times, and I am sure you all have the same problem with the Aussie 'lingo' (that means language or dialect, lol).

Anyhoo, as I said, I think that may be what Vickie meant by her comment. She's probably too scared now to defend herself, lol. On the other hand (playing devil's advocate here), if she really did mean to only buy American, I can only feel sorry for her, as she would miss out on so much that is good from all over the world. I'll get off my box now, lol.

Jen

[Post New]by tuliplady11 on Oct 18, 10 6:23 PM
I usually just read comments and not write them. But in this case I have to say that it has been a while since I played a game that is so poorly developed with such "cheap" graphics. I could not play the whole demo because for me this was just annoying.
However that is why we get demo's, to try and decide if it is a game to our liking. So I would suggest to anyone that hasn't played the demo, see for yourself!
I don't want to discourage anyone from playing this demo and maybe like it.
It is just not what I am looking for in a game.

Happy Gaming!!!!!

janba
Sea Anemone
Sea Anemone
9 Posts

[Post New]by janba on Oct 18, 10 6:45 PM
I agree with most of the posts. This is one stupid game. I played it for about 10 minutes, actually let it down time as it was not very interesting. Finally figured after hitting on the easel and getting some stupid map that I was supposed to follow the golden arrows. Stupid Stupid. I really thought that Gamefish actually tested these games prior to foisting them on the public. I have been quite disappointed in your last several game launches.

[Post New]by Tassygirl1958 on Oct 18, 10 6:47 PM
This is a definite "no buy" for me! I played the demo for 5 minutes and was completely turned off by this game. The sexual inuendo about "something big" at the beginning was a pathetic attempt at locker room humour and totally turned me off right then and there. Just a very poorly constructed game; hidden objects are junky and hard to see, graphics fuzzy - definite b-grade game.

moonlightgrey
Flounder
Flounder
2,076 Posts

[Post New]by moonlightgrey on Oct 18, 10 7:03 PM
Oh Please!!!!

Do not complain about Miquel and his rather schoolboy attempts to flirt.

We have vampire coming out the windows here on BF, and if you are going to tell me that vampires are not sexual, you had better read the original book, or watch any of the movies.

brookings
Parrotfish
Parrotfish
454 Posts

[Post New]by brookings on Oct 18, 10 7:58 PM
Awful game. The graphics are dark and grainy. After asking for a hint, I never could find the object. I started random clicking trying to find the object, and the curser goes round and round as punishment for to many clicks. That makes me have motion sickness. I gave up at the first scene.

Save your money, this is a real loser!

snapnhiss
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,483 Posts

[Post New]by snapnhiss on Oct 18, 10 8:12 PM
I must be an oddball but I like this game. I figured I'd check out why everyone was complaining and I found this to be a fun, well written game. The graphics are kind of old school blocky but I think that adds to the charm and it kind of reminds me of
Slingo Mystery: Who's Gold, which I love.

meanbusiness
Guppy
Guppy
186 Posts

[Post New]by meanbusiness on Oct 18, 10 8:48 PM
I really did try. Got about 15 minutes into it.... Really boring.. I don't mind small items to find. Just hidden objects in the same set, so to speak. I really love HOGs, IHOGs, and FROGs. You just never seemed to get anywhere in this game. The darn objects were so small, that I spent all that time getting nowhere. I just can't put my finger on it but left me unsatisfied.....

meanbusiness
Guppy
Guppy
186 Posts

[Post New]by meanbusiness on Oct 18, 10 8:48 PM
I really did try. Got about 15 minutes into it.... Really boring.. I don't mind small items to find. Just hidden objects in the same set, so to speak. I really love HOGs, IHOGs, and FROGs. You just never seemed to get anywhere in this game. The darn objects were so small, that I spent all that time getting nowhere. I just can't put my finger on it but left me unsatisfied.....

KC_Granny
Guppy
Guppy
106 Posts

[Post New]by KC_Granny on Oct 18, 10 9:03 PM
Is it just me?.......When I hit the hint button I get little gold circles all over the place. None of those seem to show where the item is. I can't find any help, the graphics are really cartoonish, and......................oh, never mind. Absolutely a NO BUY.

[Post New]by galiem on Oct 18, 10 9:06 PM
Agree with poor quality of game. Enjoyed the dialogue but nothing else. Next time will try first before buy.

KATPOR
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
15 Posts

[Post New]by KATPOR on Oct 18, 10 10:19 PM
I realize that many of the games come from non-English speaking countries, however, simple things like the difference between Businesscards and Business Cards makes a difference. Why would I pay for a game or anything else that doesn't speak to me? Some of the objects are tiny, display only a small part, or are pixelated. If you want to appeal to a young audience, which I can't imagine would like HOGS, then make the HOGS small. If you want to appeal to a broader audience than make them visible, but well hidden.

VolleymomDee
Squid
Squid
70 Posts

[Post New]by VolleymomDee on Oct 18, 10 11:41 PM
I only made it through 5 minutes of the demo. The graphics were awful - grainy, dark, poorly drawn, and sometimes impossible to see... The hint system highlighted areas for items that I couldn't recognize even after knowing where they were...

GrammaKj
Clownfish
Clownfish
541 Posts

[Post New]by GrammaKj on Oct 19, 10 12:15 AM
doctorgood wrote: to everything that's been said negative about this thing plus...it's cheap and tawdry. They actually use double entendres of a sexual nature more than once. (they can do that in a game and we can't refer to a game as a **** (HOG) !) The attempt at humor is even more feeble than mine! The music reminds me of the last piano bar I was in. (I only stayed there 15 min. also) The first puzzle I came to was a "spot the difference". (are we allowed to call them STD's ? ) The things that were different were very small and fuzzy. If you think you saw a dust bunny under the book case it was actually a thermos or binoculars or something. AAAAAH!!! Feel free to try this "game"........but you have been warned!
Dr.good
p.s. Oh yeah,it's your basic"find grampa who is lost somewhere on the planet" scenario but with a twist, you also have a dirty talking Latino gentleman chasing you!
GIVE ME A BREAK!

THANK YOU! I thought it was just me that was offended by the double entendres of a sexual nature. Sorry but this great-grandma doesn't appreciate this game and wouldn't keep it on my computer if it were free!

kisskeeps
Catfish
Catfish
1,508 Posts

[Post New]by kisskeeps on Oct 19, 10 12:28 AM
mamajay wrote:Well, I guess I must be swimming against the tide here, because I tried the demo elsewhere (got about 30 minutes I think), and got quite a giggle out of the comments...
I don't mind spot the differences so long as they aren't the only mini games, and so far I think I have done 3 or 4 different ones. The story seems to be okay, as far as I got, in fact I was wanting to find out how come Miguel seems to have the upper hand over Sarah...
I suggest you play with an open mind - you just might be surprised. At least with these S.T.Ds you don't have to work out where they go, lol. Also, if my play time is anything to go by, there shouldn't be too many S.T.Ds to upset you. I will most likely be buying this one as I find it quite enjoyable.

EDITED BY ME to MAKE ROOM FOR MY 2 CENTS LOL
I too have been pleasantly suprised by taking the the minority view tho I'm very very grateful to the fishies who take the time and effort to comment and review--kudos. But I just had to say I was ROFL about the abbreviation, mamajay; when I see the initials "STD" I generally think of something entirely different. Must be all those ads on TV frying my brain. TY for the giggle & happy gaming.

[Post New]by WiccanWoman530 on Oct 19, 10 12:45 AM
Well after reading the reviews I decided to trial it.. and y'all know I hate doing that lol. I wanted to dislike this game.. I really am not into Egyptian themed games and yes girl saves older male relative is way overdone. While I admit its not a great game.. its not the worst either.

I didn't have that hard of a time finding items.. but I think thats only because I read the reviews and knew to click on small items that stuck out.. some I was able to make out what they were. The hint button helped I didn't have any problems with it as someone mentioned, it gave me a big circle around it clear enough to help me. It is touchy on where you click things too, I disliked that. All of that however does make it a challenge, which is nice sometimes. The find the differences were very easy. I like them anyway but for those that don't they are not hard to get past and you can use hints for them too. I had 30 minutes left of my trial time so that means it took me a half hour to get through the first chapter and I was playing faster than I normally do!

The dialog saved this game for me.. her expressions to his comments were great! I want to see the rest of the story. Story/dialog is a huge factor in what I like in a game. When I first became ill, a group of wonderful in our community knew I loved to read. They started a used book collection for me. (I didn't know till they gave them to me) I was surprised and overwhelmed by their kindness when tons of boxes of books were dropped off at my door. The point is.. at any given point I can pick up a book out of the 1000+ donated to me and no matter what it is I'll read it. Some are awesome, some dull, but I always enjoy them. HOGs are like books come to life for me, the same reason I love RPGs too.

While I won't waste a credit on this one I will put it on my list and buy it as a DD. Its a story like anyone of those books and I'd like to "read" it someday.

I'll give it 2 1/2 for dialog and being a nice challenge.

Edited on 10/19/2010 at 7:57:01 PM PST

Valdy
Marlin
Marlin
9,383 Posts

[Post New]by Valdy on Oct 19, 10 2:41 AM
doctorgood wrote:They actually use double entendres of a sexual nature more than once. (they can do that in a game and we can't refer to a game as a **** (HOG) !)

This is not the first game that does it. "Tiger Eye - Part 1" was full of it. And when I mentioned it in a thread, someone said I had a dirty mind. *sigh* LOL

The first puzzle I came to was a "spot the difference". (are we allowed to call them STD's ? )

I was wondering the same when I read another person's review and mentioning STDs. What is the world coming to? LOL

I got very quickly frustrated with the game, starting with NOT finding sugar cubes (never happened to me before), and only when the hint circle showed me something that looked to me like mouse droppings, did I realise that those were supposed to be the sugar cubes.
I had to use the hint so often, if was no fun. I don't mind the 'Spot the Difference' games, but not every 2 minutes.

The best part about this game was that the hint button recharged real quick - essential for this game, because it will be used often.
This is definitely a no-buy for me.

sinshack
Flounder
Flounder
2,150 Posts

[Post New]by sinshack on Oct 19, 10 3:06 AM
mamajay wrote: I still found the comments funny, as far as I got, anyway, but I came a cropper on the crashed plane. The clue said move things to follow the 'trail' and I tried, I really did, but nothing happened - sigh. That was when I gave up. Jen

The dialog also says that there is blood under the leaf (a trail of blood), so what you need to do is move the objects in the center of the screen, on the floor of the plane near the big green leaf. Wait until the cursor turns into a hand, because the leaf is not the first thing that has to be moved. Once you move the stuff from the floor, there is one more item to move in the stack of boxes in the rear of the scene, then you need to examine that spot.

Hope that helps - you are very close to some of the funniest dialog.

uschina
Seahorse
Seahorse
26 Posts

[Post New]by uschina on Oct 19, 10 7:09 AM
Yes, wouldn't this be wonderful - no HOG scenes any more!!!
How can anyone call this "shopping lists" a game?
More than boring....

qpr1
Clownfish
Clownfish
733 Posts

[Post New]by qpr1 on Oct 19, 10 7:37 AM
i got 2 minutes into it and deleted the game

Go to: