Pixielate
Guppy
Guppy
159 Posts

Re:Your Comments and Reviews for Fear for Sale: The Mystery of McInroy Manor Collector's Edition

[Post New]by Pixielate on Nov 18, 10 12:18 PM
It might be an interesting game (although no evidence so far), but the graphics are horrible. This is a 'Collector's Edition'? Don't you have standards for that, or does any new **** or large game qualify?

Re:Your Comments and Reviews for Fear for Sale: The Mystery of McInroy Manor Collector's Edition

[Post New]by hydrogibbon on Nov 18, 10 12:30 PM
I played the demo and enjoyed the game. The hint recharge was much too slow and I found myself going to the walkthrough to find items I couldn't see because of the limited time on the demo. Since I'm building quite a stockpile of game credits that I can't use on a collectors edition, I've decided to wait for it to come out as a regular game. I agree with the comments that there are way too many collectors editions coming out. The extra content doesn't seem worth double the price but I would be more inclined to buy them if I were allowed to use some of my game credits on them.

govegril
Stingray
Stingray
5,727 Posts

[Post New]by govegril on Nov 18, 10 12:32 PM
WolfenRaindancer wrote:I did like Marooned 1 and 2, just don't think either are CE quality. Don't think this one is either, but heck, if I don't find anything better, I will wind up getting it anyway. I guess I just think that CEs should be top notch games, like MCF or Drawn...hmm, y'all think we are being prepped for Super Duper CEs? As for the full screen issue, mine did not go full screen until I clicked off 'letter box' in options. Never saw that one before and wasn't quite sure what it was, but I did get full screen, which could have contributed to the not so crisp graphics.

I do recall the letterbox option in Marooned 2, but not in Fear for Sale.

shadowfax44
Orca Whale
Orca Whale
21,885 Posts

[Post New]by shadowfax44 on Nov 18, 10 12:46 PM
govegril wrote:
WolfenRaindancer wrote:I did like Marooned 1 and 2, just don't think either are CE quality. Don't think this one is either, but heck, if I don't find anything better, I will wind up getting it anyway. I guess I just think that CEs should be top notch games, like MCF or Drawn...hmm, y'all think we are being prepped for Super Duper CEs? As for the full screen issue, mine did not go full screen until I clicked off 'letter box' in options. Never saw that one before and wasn't quite sure what it was, but I did get full screen, which could have contributed to the not so crisp graphics.

I do recall the letterbox option in Marooned 2, but not in Fear for Sale.

Does letterbox give the black bars top & bottom? I didn't notice because I switched to full screen before game play. (I think you are right that it was Marooned 2 govegirl but since I tried them both at the same time and I am not sure, I defer to your memory)

Also, I don't think Marooned 1 & 2 are necessarily CE quality but the Devs must have agreed because they didn't release them as CEs. I like both of the Marooned game and so far like this Fear for Sale but haven't played but maybe 10 minutes so far... not really enough to post a definitive opinion yet.

elldee2728
Shark
Shark
14,378 Posts

[Post New]by elldee2728 on Nov 18, 10 12:53 PM
bfgDonau wrote:Hi everyone!

I just wanted to pop in with a friendly reminder that this thread is here to focus on comments and reviews of Fear for Sale: The Mystery of McInroy Manor Collector's Edition.

Please try to stay on topic and feel free to keep the fun times rolling over in the Chit-Chat Corner.

Thanks!

-bfgDonau

[removed by moderator] This is a decent CE with decent "bells and whistles" (albeit a dark theme that's been replayed a few times). I found the storyline OK (maybe a retread of some others), the options good (cursor choice OK) the graphics very nice, and the soundtrack eerily fitting. This surely isn't the best CE that BFG has offered, but needing a couple more punches on my card, I think I'll give it a go.

Edited on 11/18/2010 at 3:11:16 PM PST

dogfish12
Stingray
Stingray
4,579 Posts

[Post New]by dogfish12 on Nov 18, 10 12:54 PM
I was fully prepared to buy this and the graphics just don't cut it for me-maybe I am just too old, but objects hard to find and I thought the color palate was just horribly drab. My friend loved it and bought it, so, as always, demo....

rainice
Minnow
Minnow
293 Posts

[Post New]by rainice on Nov 18, 10 12:57 PM
This has a fairly interesting story although a little too dark for my taste and even without using the stategy guide there seems to be plenty of help in letting one what to do next, in fact for the more independent among you maybe too much help. That's the good news. I played the full hour but only got maybe 45% of that time in game play. The rest of the time was spent waiting for the slo-o-ow hint system to recharge itself so you could relocate yet another tiny object in a dark corner or waiting for the long pauses between scenes which you kept going back and forth from. I also found the music irritating after a short while. For someone who has good eyesight and doesn't need to use the hint button too often or someone with a lot of patience who enjoys this type of spooky story, this might be a good fit. For myself, the demo was more than enough.

doctorgood
Clownfish
Clownfish
589 Posts

Re:Your Comments and Reviews for Fear for Sale: The Mystery of McInroy Manor Collector's Editio

[Post New]by doctorgood on Nov 18, 10 12:58 PM
goofyduck77 wrote:I can bring my puppy - she would make a great watchdog to keep the ravens and cats away (except for Staril's of course). I say we meet on a tropical island somewhere. doctorgood could build a raft or something, couldn't you? Just make sure it holds enough people to get there and back a few times . . . I haven't invested in that many CE's so I could chip in for the Oreo's and the soda pop . . . and maybe some decks of cards -- remember those?

Now Goofyduck if your dog keeps all the ravens and cats away on our desert isle that willl cut into our protein source drastically..................and uhhh......well you know.............never mind,.... I love dogs.........can't go there. As far as a raft.......it would most likely be something else!!! I am a great plumber and the world's worst carpenter. We could probably take trash bags, fill them with all my hot air and build us a serviceable dirigible.(Ann,don't you say a word! ) Cards? Did someone say cards? I am a world class euchre player. Don't know how to play euchre? That's okay,I'll teach ya'.( For your sake I hope you're a fast learner,otherwise it's gonna' get real expensive.)
Dr.good
p.s. Just exactly what does this have to do with todays TGT some might ask............absolutely nothing!!!....this is more fun and it's free!

Edited on 11/18/2010 at 1:02:01 PM PST

Dee_H
Guppy
Guppy
188 Posts

[Post New]by Dee_H on Nov 18, 10 1:10 PM
dokken117 wrote:Okay, I'm gonna bite the bullet here and disagree with some of you. I got out of the trial after about 30 min, but not because it wasn't good. I thought it was great! I wanted to save the rest of it for when I can take my time and really enjoy. This game so far has everything I love. Beautiful graphics and head-scratching problems.

Where I do agree with you is the CE complaint. There are too many new games introduced these days as "Collector's Editions". Come on. Just give us a straight $6.99 game, like you advertised. Hope I haven't been too caustic here, but I am beginning to feel a little bamboozled

Great comments, I second these. Would add my vote for using two credits and/or take $6.99 off CE price with one game credit as options to soften blow of higher cost. You would pay minimum $19.99 for a pc game @ Target, etc., so $13.99 is not outrageous.

Call me twisted, but I love these dark and spooky games!

doctorgood
Clownfish
Clownfish
589 Posts

[Post New]by doctorgood on Nov 18, 10 1:12 PM
cherbtoo wrote:
I will bring some candles so that we can find all the objects hidden in the dark little corners .

pp pp pp pp pp pp pp pp
pp pp pp pp pp pp pp pp
pp pp pp pp pp pp pp pp
pp pp pp pp pp pp pp pp
pp pp pp pp pp pp pp pp
pp pp pp pp pp pp pp pp
pp pp pp pp pp pp pp pp
pp pp pp pp pp pp pp pp
pp pp pp pp pp pp
pp pp pp pp pp pp pp pp
pp pp pp pp pp pp pp pp
pp pp pp pp pp pp
pp pp pp pp pp pp pp pp pp pp
pp pp pp pp
pp pp pp pp pp pp pp pp pp pp pp pp
pp
pp pp pp pp pp pp pp
pp pp pp pp pp pp pp pp
pp pp pp pp pp pp pp pp
pp pp pp pp pp pp pp pp
pp pp pp pp pp pp pp
pp pp pp pp pp pp
pp pp pp pp
pp pp pp )

Cherbtoo, I think you're a great person as far as I can tell. Your reviews and comments are always entertaining and informative but from one friend to another,after viewing this, you might consider professional help!! ( looks like some type of obsessive/compulsive disorder but hey........what do I know!!
Dr.good
p.s. I guess todays TGT didn't exactly tie up your whole day either eh?

doctorgood
Clownfish
Clownfish
589 Posts

Re:Your Comments and Reviews for Fear for Sale: The Mystery of McInroy Manor Collector's Editio

[Post New]by doctorgood on Nov 18, 10 1:22 PM
elldee2728 wrote:
bfgDonau wrote:Hi everyone!

I just wanted to pop in with a friendly reminder that this thread is here to focus on comments and reviews of Fear for Sale: The Mystery of McInroy Manor Collector's Edition.

Please try to stay on topic and feel free to keep the fun times rolling over in the Chit-Chat Corner.

Thanks!

-bfgDonau

[removed by moderator] This is a decent CE with decent "bells and whistles" (albeit a dark theme that's been replayed a few times). I found the storyline OK (maybe a retread of some others), the options good (cursor choice OK) the graphics very nice, and the soundtrack eerily fitting. This surely isn't the best CE that BFG has offered, but needing a couple more punches on my card, I think I'll give it a go.

Do the math, more people are having fun with the island thing than they are with this game.......which I didn't like. There that makes it a comment on todays game.
Dr.good

Edited on 11/21/2010 at 3:46:13 PM PST

TxConnie
Guppy
Guppy
163 Posts

[Post New]by TxConnie on Nov 18, 10 1:26 PM
You know what would be a great feature for the forums? I post that allows us to take a poll "Thumbs up or Thumbs down". That way we could quickly see the overall rating before we started to read the multiple pages of reviews.

pungstress
Minnow
Minnow
203 Posts

[Post New]by pungstress on Nov 18, 10 2:14 PM
peglegann wrote:
pungstress wrote:First let me say, "Weeee! I'm a squid now!"
Yes, graphics are pretty dark and muddy in some places, but that didn't bother me. HOG items are sometimes difficult to find but I don't mind the "junkpile" style of the game. The items here are size-proportionate, which I do like. Nothing annoys me more than a screw the size of a baseball bat or a house the size of a mouse.
Puzzles(as far as I got in the demo)were not that difficult.
Music is appropriate to the storyline and I did not find it obtrusive. This game reminds me of the MCF games and we all know how much we're longing for the next one. One downer for me was that as you click to advance from scene to scene, there was a blank scree for approximately 6-7 seconds which after a while becomes tedious.
All in all, 4 's out of 5.
Now my bigproblem. I purchased the game but I can't play it until Sunday night as I'm about to leave for an out of town wedding. One of these days I'm going to have to splurge on a laptop!

Pungstress sits playing games in middle of ceremony What has it all finished?

What's the big deal? He says "I do" then she says "I do." I wouldn't scream out "I found the corkscrew!" in the middle of the ceremony. Now the reception? Hmmm...

PowderMonkey
Guppy
Guppy
195 Posts

[Post New]by PowderMonkey on Nov 18, 10 2:15 PM
Just finished the demo and had to buy - my kind of game, dark and spooky!
The first couple of idden object scenes are quite dark, yes, but it gets better. Anyhow, I like that the HOG scenes are not 'too' easy.
Puzzles in the demo were easy.
Looking forward to tomorrow to continue playing!
I can't tell you yet if it's worth the CE price, but I'm an addict, need my fixes! So far it looks promising though - just hope it's not too short.

KCErin
Guppy
Guppy
147 Posts

[Post New]by KCErin on Nov 18, 10 2:46 PM
I thought I would finally post instead of just lurking and reading.

I got to Beta test this game and liked it. It was awhile ago, but I remember wanting to know the rest of the story. Add me to the list of buyers.

sparkers2005
Guppy
Guppy
121 Posts

[Post New]by sparkers2005 on Nov 18, 10 2:57 PM
i love these kind of games but will wait for SE to purchase it. CE games will take us to the poor house. i was reviewing my purchases the other day and i've spent well over $700.00 since i joined BF over 5 years ago.

sheaflyin
Lobster
Lobster
83 Posts

[Post New]by sheaflyin on Nov 18, 10 3:23 PM
I was enjoying this game. Was it the best game I've ever played, no, but it was a good game and it was fun to figure out what went where. I did need a few hints, but for me, the hidden objects weren't that hard to see. I was getting ready to buy, yet another CE, (hey, it's been a hard couple of months) when the darn thing crashed my computer. I read to try another browser, which I did, and zipping along again it crashed again. I just went through this with Brunhilda and won't do it again.

But I have realized that if I fill out another job application, when they ask for 'any special skills' I can answer, YES! I have mad skillz at getting into an abandoned mansion/hospital and I can fix electrical/plumbing problems. Forget the tent people....we can start a 'Get Into Scary Places Where No One Has Any Business Going' company.

Poutoule
Archerfish
Archerfish
41,630 Posts

[Post New]by Poutoule on Nov 18, 10 3:51 PM
That's a good idea Sheaflyin ! After a busy day painfully played the demo. Graphics are nice, music OK, but this blackscreen in between scenes is just unbearable. No chance to get into the game, it's like being interrupted every 3 minutes in the best of the cases (is that english or literal translation ?, sorry, I'm tired !). Very frustrating and irritating. A definite no buy (so I may be won't end up in a tent), as a DD, perhaps...

biomix
Dogfish
Dogfish
1,854 Posts

[Post New]by biomix on Nov 18, 10 3:53 PM
hydrogibbon wrote:I played the demo and enjoyed the game. The hint recharge was much too slow and I found myself going to the walkthrough to find items I couldn't see because of the limited time on the demo. Since I'm building quite a stockpile of game credits that I can't use on a collectors edition, I've decided to wait for it to come out as a regular game. I agree with the comments that there are way too many collectors editions coming out. The extra content doesn't seem worth double the price but I would be more inclined to buy them if I were allowed to use some of my game credits on them.

My thoughts exactly. I am stockpiling as well and I can't use towards CE's and the regular GOOD games are in limited supply of late.

Forget this CE, I'm ready to join the Tent Party. I'm in. I'll supply the chips if someone brings soda. yum yum

Edited on 11/18/2010 at 3:56:28 PM PST

dancemom1
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,198 Posts

[Post New]by dancemom1 on Nov 18, 10 4:24 PM
Hmmm, I got the soda. Actually, I sort of liked the game. Just enough difficulty to keep me interested so far. Played 45 min and got almost everything I need to fire up the boiler. Was surprised to see that the SG worked without purchasing the game, but not happy to go into SG and start on page one every time. Should pick up on the page you left it on. I also hate finding feathers...most annoying. Not sure if I want to spend the money on it though. Have to think about it. Might just wait and see if anything better comes along this month. Time is getting short BF.

Go to: