to come in this series. For me, right balance of Hog Scenes vs
Adventure.

linda43416
Guppy
Guppy
143 Posts

Re:Your Comments and Reviews for Fiction Fixers: The Curse of OZ

[Post New]by linda43416 on Dec 3, 10 4:51 PM
hannah57 wrote:As you all must know by now, I hote HOGs. I am a patient person and I will wait, even it takes all winter for an adventure game. I know I could go to the store and buy one but I really don't want to because I like BF.

Hannah, I'm curious as to how do you know what to do and where to go in an adventure game? I just played Nightmare adventures: the witch's prison, and although I did enjoy the game I found myself lost all the time and had to refer to walkthrough as to what to do next. Is it something that you aquire over time like where to look in hog games? Just curious, and It seems that you must be good at them to like them more than all the other games.

Becca_jxxx
Guppy
Guppy
169 Posts

[Post New]by Becca_jxxx on Dec 8, 10 1:24 PM
Good game, but too easy and judging by the comments on here way too short anyway. Glad I didn't buy it. Maybe when it's cheaper.

[Post New]by camjoti on Dec 9, 10 2:14 PM
Possible Spoiler Alert** (I mention some minor details in game, but for those who haven't played, may not want to read.)

I still have 20 minutes left in the demo and I've already finished one of the towers and am to the river where I'm supposed to now rescue the scarecrow. Is it worth me buying the full game? I'm on Expert mode and haven't used a hint yet, so I feel like I'm going to finish this game in less than 3 hours, which doesn't seem worth it. I love the graphics and am an Oz fan, but I'm questioning whether the game is worth it.

Any thoughts on this? Some seem to think that the game finished too quickly.

vingilot
Dolphin
Dolphin
6,175 Posts

[Post New]by vingilot on Dec 12, 10 9:16 AM
Mixture of FHOG and HOG, pretty linear, simple puzzles and challenges, graphics are clear and objects easy to find. Played in advanced mode, didn't skip anything (dialogue, puzzles, nothing), only used hint twice in H0 scenes. Got all the way to the beginning of Chapter 6 out of 8 in the hour demo. Maybe a DD one day, if I'm bored enough. Shame, because from the file size I was hoping it would be longer.

[Post New]by Meredith2010 on Dec 13, 10 4:03 AM
alicekramden wrote:Well, disappointed here! Game will not change to window mode & I dislike playing fullscreen. When I click to change, I get a message stating that I need a higher resolution than 1280 x 720 and either 16 or 32 bit color. Both of these requirements are satisfied as my resolution is 1280 x 1024 with 32 bit.

Bummer...

I have the same problem, have contacted BF, but no reply. I don't like not being able to switch to window mode, either!!

[Post New]by Mairwen on Dec 17, 10 6:38 PM
I played almost all the way through Chapter 6 in the demo hour. Short game! I won't bother paying to play another 30 minutes or so.

kelnjor
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,088 Posts

[Post New]by kelnjor on Dec 21, 10 7:08 AM
fishdawn wrote:Wow! Not much of a challenge in this game! I was at the end of Chapter 4 when my demo ended.

Graphics were good. Story was okay. Characters were cute. But the gameplay was waaaaay to easy.

Definite NO buy for me!

I would have to agree. this is the first i have played in this series, and my first thought is it is a childs game, (maybe it is supposed to be?) very basic and too easy for me, a shame really as has nice graphics and fun characters, but demo ended 10min game play left and looking at where i was at, i wouldnt have much left to do..may get for my 12 yr old niece when she stays on holidays though

kelnjor
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,088 Posts

[Post New]by kelnjor on Dec 21, 10 7:13 AM
just checked at walkthrough and i was actually at chapter 6...so that means completed the first 5 chapters in 50min, so unless the last 2 chapters are extremely hard and long, this game would be lucky to stretch at 1.5hrs! no buy for me, maybe if is the DD one day...

JadedBlonde
Lobster
Lobster
82 Posts

[Post New]by JadedBlonde on Dec 21, 10 2:37 PM
I tried to download the trial version and as it was installing I got the Blue Screen of Death which said Windows was shutting down so my comp wouldn't be damaged (I'm on Win 7)

When I went to the game manager to see what the heck happened, it said my trial for this game was expired.

So....that's enough of that.

Yaelle
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,317 Posts

[Post New]by Yaelle on Dec 21, 10 7:50 PM
Hmm...so the reason why I came on here was to see if, in any reviews people mentioned the length of the game. I was afraid that now that my demo time is up, I'd buy the full version only to finish the entire game a few minutes later & be left annngry. Which is what it sounds like will happen.
I'm kind of a lifelong Oz fan, which is weird considering that I'm 4'10 and have always (even still at 34) gotten teased about being a munchkin lol. As a matter of fact, I've spent the last few years totally obsessed with the musical Wicked (omg best live thing I've EVER seen!) so I reallllly want to like this a lot but I could kind of tell I was nearing the end after less than an hour so...
I just remembered something else Oz- related. When I was around 8 years old, my aunt worked at Ballantine Books in Manhattan & I met Del Rey, the publisher along with a whole bunch of illustrators & other people and they gave me dozens of books, including around 12-15 of the Oz series, some Garfields, etc. etc. My parents still have the Oz books at their house & I hope we keep them in our family forever. Yeah so even with all of this Dorothy-related history, I still dont think I'm going to fork over the cash for the game but I am tempted to try out the other Fiction Fixers which I've somehow managed to never have heard of. If I could leave my farm for 5 minutes of my life I probably would have.

Breezeie66
Starfish
Starfish
49 Posts

[Post New]by Breezeie66 on Dec 22, 10 5:38 AM
This looked interesting as I played the demo so decided to use my coupon for it. WARNING: it took 3 1/2 hrs game play and though the game was "cute", I would recommend not worth an adults time. I played Alice in Wonderland and thought they were referring to it in their blurb. Had not played the other fiction fixers and if I had, I would not have wasted my time. So my suggestion, give this to the little ones and if you want a real challenge, try Alice in Wonderland.

Mystakill
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
14 Posts

[Post New]by Mystakill on Dec 23, 10 10:08 PM
I wish I'd read these reviews prior to purchasing it. I just finished it in 1:59. That's entirely too short. The game itself was pretty good, good graphics, and decent voice acting. Puzzles were fairly easy though.

IYBAKH
Minnow
Minnow
226 Posts

[Post New]by IYBAKH on Jan 1, 11 11:33 AM
This game was very well developed based on the classic story, "The Wizard of Oz.". I found it quite enjoyable and relaxing. The hidden objects were easy to find - large enough that my grandchildren could help me play the game. Some of the puzzles were more difficult than others, but one had the option to skip them. There were lots of interactions within the game and with the characters, plus a nice variety of tasks to perform. Although it was easier than the typical hidden object games, I primarily bought it for my grandchildren. They loved it! It's a keeper! I hope to see more of these types of games!

cll1950
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,099 Posts

[Post New]by cll1950 on Jan 26, 11 12:25 PM
I didn't like this Fixation Fixers as much as the first. Not as "Magical" is the only way I can describe it. However in no way am I otherwise disappointed. I can't swear to the time as I played it in installments but it didn't feel that short to me. @ 1 1/2 hours, some of you must be total Whizzes of Oz. The 3 1/2 hours that some stated seems more like what I experienced.

The graphics were beautiful. I also thought some of the puzzles were very challenging. I didn't mind that some things were repeated in the h o scenes as I have just about had enough of ages of searching. I now enjoy saving my eyes for puzzles, side chores and such. The voice overs were nice except for the Tin Man, who sounded just like my paperboy .

Maybe my standards are lower than some players but I really didn't feel like I was playing a child’s game but then I hope that there is still enough "child" in me to enjoy most well made games regardless of the audience they are aimed at.

I feel it was well worth a credit.

Stevihj
Clownfish
Clownfish
507 Posts

[Post New]by Stevihj on Feb 1, 11 9:04 AM
The graphics are lovely, well drawn and enjoyable to look at. The gameplay is IHOG with HOG and minigames. The items are large and usually easy to find. The story is fixing the Wizard of Oz tale that has been missed up. As I like the series of books, I enjoyed this game. The actual demo runs out when you enter the Emerald City after you have collected all 4 of the main characters (Dorothy, Scarecrow, Tin Man and Lion).

This game is an A.

Tikatoy
Minnow
Minnow
269 Posts

[Post New]by Tikatoy on Mar 4, 11 5:50 PM
I played the first game in this series (Alice in Wonderland) and liked that one all right so I demoed this game briefly and got it. I actually like it a lot better than the first. the whole blighting the land in purple light thing made it a little more sinister, which I liked, and I think the graphics were much nicer.

It's a short game. I finished it in 2.5 hours in regular mode and I avoid using hints and read all of the dialogue/story. Game length is not a big deal to me, though, and there were varied enough environments, hidden object scenes and puzzles that I was satisfied.

The whole "this is a childish game" thing always boggles me with Big Fish games. First of all, they're all so easy that children can finish them easily so it's not a game difficulty difference. And as far as the story goes, it's not like any of the premiere HOGs here (MCF, ERS games, etc.) have complex stories with philosophical musings on the nature of humanity and nuanced moral dilemmas or anything that would make them "adult". It just comes down to differences in subject matter, which then comes down to personal preference.

Stuff like the Dora games are in fact childish because they're testing your ability to read numbers or know what colours are. This game doesn't fall into that category.

[Post New]by FLAMEonfire on Mar 6, 11 3:15 AM
Short though this game is I liked it. I don't do well with these HOG that leave you standing somewhere with no way to find out what to do next. You hit on "Hints" and it tell you to keep looking or check another area and you just keep going around in circles.This game always lets you know where you are going if you need it. It may be too easy for some but the story is good and the graphics are cute. This is a good starter game if you're coming over from the HOG that give you a list of items to find (and that's all the game entails) and the HOG that leave you standing in a room and you have to click your way out of it with no hints as to where to go next. I've tried games that I couldn't get out of the second scene - what fun is that, lol!

Edited on 03/06/2011 at 3:21:13 AM PST

KitSeason
Lobster
Lobster
93 Posts

[Post New]by KitSeason on Mar 14, 11 7:50 PM
I would definitely get this game if I could afford all the games I like. As it is, I'll have to wait until my list goes down a bit.

Grimhild
Starfish
Starfish
43 Posts

[Post New]by Grimhild on May 3, 11 11:29 AM
I enjoyed the game but it is too short; it needs a couple more scenes to make it worth the money. The artwork is good, the games qre challenging enough for me without being completely frustrating. I was happy that someone actually knows what runes are. I felt that a munchkin scene, a longer (or an additional) scene in the rune village, and an added scene with more challenges in the Emerald City would have made this game better.

I had NO technical issues. I'm anticipating the next entry into the Fiction Fixers cycle, but I'm unsure if I'll buy it. It seems to me that the developers are shorting us on the $6.99 version in order to get us to purchase the Collector's Edition.

Go to: