Penguin29
Herring
Herring
363 Posts

Re:Your Comments And Reviews For Hidden Mysteries: Salem Secrets

[Post New]by Penguin29 on Nov 30, 10 11:02 AM
I really liked this game. Sometimes it was a hard search to find things I needed in my inventory. Not too dark for me. There are puzzles and some are quite hard.

elhar02
Guppy
Guppy
149 Posts

[Post New]by elhar02 on Dec 1, 10 9:32 AM
Have only played the demo of this game but so far it sure has captured my attention and I want to be able to play on.

It doesn't really bother me if I have to resort to a walk-thru even now and then to help me proceed and I just TG that one is available. Don't think there's really many on this forum you could do without it in this game -- at least every now and then.

As far as the hidden object scences are concerned, I could care less if there are modern items included (I don't pay that much attention) as along I collect everything requested and get the much needed inventory item. Am now off to purchase with a punch coupon before I forget where I left off in my progress.

I really think we need to give developers of all these games a little more positive comments rather than complaining about all the negatives -- too dark, too much roaming around, too short, too long and on and on. Remember....without their games where would we be????? and some of them are developing these games on a very small budget but giving it their "best shot". Instead of saying a game his horrible and don't waste your money on it, am sure there's a better way of wording things. Only in MHO!!!

cnbmimi11
Guppy
Guppy
192 Posts

[Post New]by cnbmimi11 on Dec 1, 10 9:47 AM
Enjoyed the game even tho some part are a little too dark..Also not much in the way of help as far as trying to figure out where to go..Had a little bit of trouble with the curser but overall, enjoyed it ..loved the way it ended also

togood2be
Guppy
Guppy
163 Posts

Possible spoiler!!

[Post New]by togood2be on Dec 2, 10 2:20 AM
I enjoyed the game, although I had to set my gamma to 1.7 so I could actually see anything it is rather dark and I find that irritating, why don't more games have a gamma option? Part of me thinks they make it so dark because they can't make the offort to hide things well..lol
In any event, there are a few puzzels (spoiler part) I actually had to skip the one with the colored disks, if anyone managed that one 3 thumbs up for you, I scratched my head for quite a while before I gave up..lol I will try it again though.
The story line was ok, not much dialogue at all.
The map was helpful, but I could have done without the glowing spots on it to show you where to go next for a needed hog.
All in all, I managed to finish in a little over 3 hours, skipping one puzzle. there maybe 5 or 6 puzzles if I recall correctly, maybe more..
Not difficult in the sense of following the thought process, it is pretty straight forward and logical.
I was a bit disappointed with the last girl (spoiler) very quick and easy, no effert was put into her story line at all..
Happy gaming all!

robin94122
Salmon
Salmon
2,810 Posts

[Post New]by robin94122 on Dec 2, 10 8:30 AM
There are about 10 puzzles altogether. We give instructions and full solutions for each of them in the Blog Walkthrough. Some of them are definitely hard!

As for the storylines for the 4 girls...you have to do about the same number of steps for each girl. It's just that you may have picked up a lot of items, or done some of the other Hidden Object Scenes and mini-games, along the way before you got to her. So it may have seemed that when you got there there wasn't much to do because you already had items in your inventory. But if you think back to all the steps you did to get those items, you'll see each story is about equall complexity, they just overlap each other.

Robin

MissMoraduke
Guppy
Guppy
198 Posts

[Post New]by MissMoraduke on Dec 2, 10 9:19 AM
I come here to read comments about a game before I download it, or purchase it, and am blown away by how some people could love a game so much, or hate it so much, Color me confused. I liked what I saw on the demo, and agree about the horses, having horses myself, I had to laugh at what they looked like. I think the DEV used photos of models of horses, that bugged me, couldnt they have used more life like horses? I still cant decide if I will buy it or not.

TinkerOne
Minnow
Minnow
222 Posts

[Post New]by TinkerOne on Dec 2, 10 4:47 PM
Love the spooky games, can't get enough. Thank you for the info fishies, and I will buy this over the "13th Skull" which I had my heart set on, may still get it as a SE. Liked the map, cause I am always lost LOL......Tink

[Post New]by hydrogibbon on Dec 3, 10 1:40 PM
I bought this game after playing the first **** scene and walking into town. I didn't want to play any more of it because I had other games to finish. I finally got started on this one this morning and have played for about 4 hours. I'm loving this game. I'm just wandering around looking at and finding things. It seems like a big town so far. I haven't resorted to the walkthrough but that's not to say I won't if I find the need. I don't care if the horses are funny looking. I don't find them any stranger looking than the women I'm finding. If you're looking for a game that will last longer than a few hours and give you a challenge then try this one. I'm having a heck of a good time with it as I've had with all the hidden mysteries games.

silverink
Minnow
Minnow
200 Posts

[Post New]by silverink on Dec 4, 10 1:40 PM
This was really a great game! It seemed a little drab at first, and I thought it might be boring, but not at all. It was very interactive, with excellent adventure elements, interesting puzzles, and a good story to follow. It really kept you moving and thinking. I needed the walkthrough on more than one occasion - it was a challenging game. Although the color scheme was muted, and there were some hazy parts, I have to say that the graphics were still very good in the hidden object scenes - some things may have been a bit small and well hidden, but the items were very clearly drawn. The art style for the characters (and horses) was a little odd, but it seemed to fit the atmosphere. This was a long game, with lots to explore and do. I think the Hidden Mysteries series gets better with each installment. I really liked Titanic the Fateful Voyage and Vampire Secrets, but this one was even better.

tomb57
Guppy
Guppy
155 Posts

[Post New]by tomb57 on Dec 4, 10 7:04 PM
Hey BFG- - This one is OK, some of the puzzles difficult.
Story line good, but not quite as good as some of the games you have offered lately.

jojo_the_joyful
Salmon
Salmon
2,761 Posts

[Post New]by jojo_the_joyful on Dec 5, 10 8:24 AM
Hi all I have just completed this game & here is was I think.

I enjoyed the game, enjoyed the story & found it of good length.

There was enough going on to keep you very very busy.

The map was semi useful in so much that is showed you where you were but I personally would have liked the buildings on it named as although I knew I need to go to the jail for excample, I couldn't remember where it was.

For that reason I refered to tge walkthrough a couple of times to save myself getting frustrated as anyone who knows me my sense of direction isn't great even in real life.

I skipped the last couple of minigames, mainy because I was impatient, but as this game is definitely on the replay list, they will be conquered.

I found the ending a bit abrupt. I expected a final battle & was left with a sizzle.

Apart from the potion glitch all in all a very good game.

A joyful 4/5

[Post New]by mlsloan_ec on Dec 5, 10 9:17 AM
After playing so many of these HOGs I enjoy one that seems challenging and isn't so easy to figure out. I am glad there is no penalty for the clicking around in the hidden scenes. The music is a bit redundant, but adds to the mystery of the environment, as well as the almost lack of color. I think half of my trial hour is spent going around in cirlces around the town looking for something to pick up and figure out what to do next. The hints are only available when you have a puzzle, not to "hint" you on where to go next, so currently I am a bit lost, but I must say I like it that it isn't too obvious. I will most likely buy

robin94122
Salmon
Salmon
2,810 Posts

[Post New]by robin94122 on Dec 5, 10 9:21 AM
mlsloan_ec wrote:After playing so many of these HOGs I enjoy one that seems challenging and isn't so easy to figure out. I am glad there is no penalty for the clicking around in the hidden scenes. The music is a bit redundant, but adds to the mystery of the environment, as well as the almost lack of color. I think half of my trial hour is spent going around in cirlces around the town looking for something to pick up and figure out what to do next. The hints are only available when you have a puzzle, not to "hint" you on where to go next, so currently I am a bit lost, but I must say I like it that it isn't too obvious. I will most likely buy

This game has a multi-level HINT system, and there are several ways to get hints for the main scenes.

You might want to check the existing forum topic "How the HINT system works in this game" for details. There are no spoilers in that topic.

Good luck!
Robin

[Post New]by Idealish on Dec 5, 10 11:10 AM
I really enjoyed this one. It wasn't overly spooky - I didn't really even notice the background music / sounds after a while. (I don't mind being scared - I just don't like the games where the music is over the top!). There was A LOT to do and explore. I prefer games that I have to really think about how I use objects, rather than those that make it really obvious or even tell you what to do / where to go next. There were a lot of places to explore, which I enjoyed. I liked finding new places to go, rather than just circling in the same 5 or 6 areas / rooms over and over again.

The hidden object areas were difficult at times - lots of tiny objects or ones that were well blended in to the background. I enjoy the challenge, but some people may get frustrated. I had to use the hints more than I usually do. A few of the puzzles were also pretty complicated. Although I knew exactly what to do, some just took a while to solve. The instructions helped - I appreciated that they told me what to do without giving it away. This is the first game in a while that I skipped multiple puzzles. Although I was confident that I could eventually solve it, I just got impatient.

I'm stubborn and want to figure out everything on my own, so it took me a while to figure everything out. I did like the option of being able to refer to a list of tasks to see what I needed to do, and a map to see where everything was. I didn't look at it much, so I don't know if everything was laid out from the beginning (showing, for example, that there was an area you could access once you did a little more work) or if it revealed itself as you went along. I was worried the diary entries would give me too much direction, so I didn't read them and don't know how helpful they were. But as a whole, the hints were great for those of you who want help but not the answer. I'm sure I'll end up playing this one again. I want to get through it with no hints or skipped puzzles. And there was so much to do it probably be able to remember 100% of what I did the first time, making replaying it still seem challenging. I definitely recommend!

sixmilecoss
Guppy
Guppy
134 Posts

[Post New]by sixmilecoss on Dec 5, 10 12:00 PM
am i the only one who hasn't found a hint button? i am just wandering around with a bunch of stuff i can't use and needing things i don't have. and there is no place to find out where to fo.

[Post New]by ladybluerb on Dec 5, 10 12:16 PM
I like the game, but the developers really goofed this time. In places the walkthrough will tell you where to go, but not how to get there. So I go to the map. The pictures are nice and clear, but nothing is labled! So how in the heck am I supposed to find a building?

robin94122
Salmon
Salmon
2,810 Posts

[Post New]by robin94122 on Dec 5, 10 12:40 PM
sixmilecoss wrote:am i the only one who hasn't found a hint button? i am just wandering around with a bunch of stuff i can't use and needing things i don't have. and there is no place to find out where to fo.

You might take a look at the existing forum topic "How the HINT system works in this game." It should help.

Good luck!
Robin

robin94122
Salmon
Salmon
2,810 Posts

[Post New]by robin94122 on Dec 5, 10 12:44 PM
ladybluerb wrote:I like the game, but the developers really goofed this time. In places the walkthrough will tell you where to go, but not how to get there. So I go to the map. The pictures are nice and clear, but nothing is labled! So how in the heck am I supposed to find a building?

The Blog Walkthrough posted here at Big Fish Games gives full directions to each building the first time you go there.

After that, we usually say "in the North" or "in the East," etc. just to remind you where you saw it before.

But if you're ever confused, just ask in the forums and someone can help. Or look earlier in the walkthrough and you should find the full directions the first time the building is mentioned.

Robin

OzzyRobyn
Minnow
Minnow
254 Posts

[Post New]by OzzyRobyn on Dec 5, 10 5:36 PM
Good gravy! I'm part-way into this and I'm getting dizzy with all the backwards and forwards!

Given the huge number of anomalous objects in the H0 scenes, maybe they could have included a motor scooter.

BTW: thanks to whomever came up with H0, which doesn't get that dumb censoring.

jennsmom
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,207 Posts

[Post New]by jennsmom on Dec 8, 10 7:08 AM
Finished the game. It was enjoyable. I liked those little hints in the task list. I don't mind going back and forth if the game is fun. I do, though, have a criticism and apparently, from reading reviews, I must be the only one. I found the map unhelpful. I would see where I was and think, "Oh, I have to go left/right/down/up," and when I did so, I found that no, I was instead going right/left/up or down! But, as I said, I guess that was just me. The ending was a bit abrupt, but still, I'm satisfied with this game.

Go to: