Re:Your Comments and Reviews for Twisted: A Haunted Carol

[Post New]by Ajojuly1 on Dec 8, 10 4:14 AM
very disapointed ..being a person who studied and taught Dickens for 30 years, story could have been proper..also too short and not very challenging..regret purchase

Valdy
Marlin
Marlin
9,383 Posts

[Post New]by Valdy on Dec 8, 10 4:43 AM
tuttepeever wrote:Great graphics but the game was much too short and lacked challenges. I quickly tired of looking for keys. Good game for a new HOG player.

I still had 18 minutes left in the demo when I quit. I was so looking forward to a game with a Christmas theme, but this one isn´t it, I´m afraid.

I liked the graphics, but the gameplay was somewhat lame. And I also got tired of having to look endlessly for yet another key.

Apart from the fact that I also got stuck in Scrooge´s office, and the hint button just kept pointing to somewhere I had to deal with (as if I didn´t know, I just couldn´t find the tools I needed), I also thought that the game didn´t run very smooth. Scene changes were somewhat jerky.

Anyway, this is a no-buy for me, I´m afraid.

Edited on 12/08/2010 at 5:45:45 AM PST

bbelle
Clownfish
Clownfish
795 Posts

[Post New]by bbelle on Dec 8, 10 5:33 AM
What would make a great holiday game would be my fav It's A Wonderful Life!! going back in time, changing your life by unforseen happenings and seeing how it was right for you when it felt otherwise, and a guardian angel, Clarence trying to earn his wings. I can see options for different outcomes. Get started devs. Meantime, I'm enjoying this, smooth easy play, no glitches, no pressures on top of what's already filled my mind. Just play with it, and yes, what wonderful true to era and locale scenes and objects anyone can see. Fits my bill. Sorry for those who are so disappointed, maybe next year.

I agree with you all the way. This was certainly a change from the traditional one but to me that is what made it unique. I really enjoyed it.

uboba
Sea Anemone
Sea Anemone
2 Posts

[Post New]by uboba on Dec 8, 10 8:07 AM
being new to games, it's very difficult to know what to do next. I have to constantly stop and refer to walk through. Couldn't there be better directions during the game?

uboba
Sea Anemone
Sea Anemone
2 Posts

[Post New]by uboba on Dec 8, 10 8:10 AM
being new to games, it's very difficult to know what to do next. I have to constantly stop and refer to walk through. Couldn't there be better directions during the game?

[Post New]by shepherdspie on Dec 8, 10 8:13 AM
Worst game i have ever played, should asked for my money back

belamba
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,058 Posts

[Post New]by belamba on Dec 8, 10 10:07 AM
I bought this game after 5 minutes of play to make sure it worked. I then regretted such a hasty decision! The graphics are super...and that's where it starts and ends. The game is too short, too much 'hand holding' and no imagination needed as to what to do next.
Really didn't enjoy it at all. I like a challenge in a game, and there was none. Great for newcomers to iHOGs though :-))

[Post New]by vanderploeg on Dec 8, 10 3:56 PM
Definitely not a buy for me. When I reached Scrooge's bedroom in the Past, there was a glitch around the pillow area that wouldn't allow me to proceed any further.

mhatfie
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,447 Posts

[Post New]by mhatfie on Dec 8, 10 3:59 PM
CasualGran wrote:
mizzbrat wrote:Well actually this has really nothing to do with comments on the game as I haven't played yet ..I was just wondering what has happened to casualgran I haven't seen her comments lately..

Hi Mizzbrat! Nice of you to be concerned. I haven't been posting for a few days because I've been a little under the weather with some kind of a flue virus. Just felt to tired and not well enough to sit behind my desk for too long. But... I'm recuperating and that's fine, 'cause coming weekend my hubby and I planned to visit my children and grandchildren. Always looking forward to that.

Now 'back to business'! I beta tested this game and I'm glad to see improvements. Furthermore I think it's a bit tricky to 're-write' this very wellknown and loved Christmascarol, but I'm sure lots of fishies won't mind.
What I do not like so much is how the ghosts look, but that's a matter of personal taste of course.
Personally I'm playing this game because I'm curious how the story will develop, not because I think this game is something special. It's nice enough and the graphics aren't bad, but we've seen better IHOGs in my opinion. But... for the time of the year it's okay.

3 out of 5

Happy Gaming fishies!

Glad you are back, we missed you.

puzzledone
Dolphin
Dolphin
7,182 Posts

[Post New]by puzzledone on Dec 8, 10 4:33 PM
uboba wrote:being new to games, it's very difficult to know what to do next. I have to constantly stop and refer to walk through. Couldn't there be better directions during the game?

Uboba, Welcome to the forum and to games.

Most games have an Option for Tutorial, either built in as you go with windows that pop in, or in Options, go to Main Menu for Options. I don't recall now if you have to check an Options box.

If you are new to these type hidden object games (HOGS) or adventure types, this is a good one to start on. Most the reviewers here are quite experienced players and as you note, think the game is too easy FOR THEM. Watch for a sparkle or area with sparkles and click on them. They open a HOG game to find an item or items you need to find that then goes into your Inventory, like a key or crowbar. Then when you continue, sometimes by clicking around to a new scene from an arrow or symbol you see if that item is what you need, knob for a door, key, hammer or whatever. Click on key in inventory then place it on keyhole to make the door open into the next scene etc. There are different symbols on your pointer that may change depending on where you hover indicating what it will do or if there is something in that area to click.

See if you find Tutorial and along with the WT and Hints you'll get the experience to play other longer games of this interactive genre. Some games are just pure Hidden Objects scene after scene if you rather start on those, then move on to these which you have to figure out what to do next along with the ingame help. The sparkles in this one seem to fade out if you don't see and click them when it first opens. Then, try to remember what room or shop you are in in case you have to find your way to return there to do another task. Hang in there, this is a good quality game made for new players like you. Ask questions on this forum starting a new topic to target your specific question, others will help if they see your post. Good luck, happy gaming!

Dianneamyte
Guppy
Guppy
169 Posts

[Post New]by Dianneamyte on Dec 8, 10 6:24 PM
I have just finished the demo and am a little further into the game and am enjoying it very much.

I had a major problem downloading the game yesterday. The counter counted up to about 6 or 7 and then went back to the start. This is the first time in a little over 2 years that I have encountered a problem getting a game to download. I tried several times and finally gave up. So, I tried again this evening and "voilla" ( did I spell this right?. Possibly not. lol) everything worked perfectly.

The graphics are really nice and interesting. Good graphics, to me. are an important part of enjoying a game. The story line is fun. I do not care if it follows an original story to the letter. This goes off on its own which is ok with me.

I am still playing "Mystery Case Files"-13th Skull, which by the way, I think is an awesome game; and am enjoying a break from it with this game. Usually the harder the game, the more I enjoy it. But, I also like to play a more relaxing form of IHOG

The HOG scenes were very much to my liking. I am not a fan of this part of adventure games and realize that due to the nature of the game, that they are necessary in some form. The HOG scenes were easy to see, There were no little dots of something or other hiding halfway behind another object and the list of items to find were not overly long.

I do not know how short the game is yet. As other have said, that can be subjective but so far; I am having a good time and glad that I purchased the game.

rubylace66
Guppy
Guppy
162 Posts

[Post New]by rubylace66 on Dec 8, 10 9:35 PM
hi everyone
i must admit that i am throughly enjoying this unpretentious little game
we cant always have the hi tech games such as diregrove and the rest ..even tho they are great
this is relaxing...not too easy ..and has kept me interested for quite a while
thanks big fish

Mistickel
Lobster
Lobster
92 Posts

[Post New]by Mistickel on Dec 9, 10 3:01 AM
I liked this one alot, I'd label it an IHOG, it's right up my alley of the type of games I like to play. Though Im hesitant to buy as it was super easy and it's way too short for my bucks. The H0s are all laid out, I would call a spread out junkpile. There's no challenge, I click, click, click and Im done except for the last one or two which were just very hard to make out what they were.

There's alot of good aspects to it. The hints load in 30 secs. You can click out of the H0 scene without finishing it if you want. It has skip on the minis. I liked the past, present, future in the same areas as you're familiar with the areas yet intriguing as things had changed.

I liked that there was not alot of walking around. I love the longer, more complicated ones like Dire Grove and Phantom, but sometimes Im not in the mood for the games that give me headaches.

It ran and played great, I didnt have any of the glitches some others have posted. The gameplay was great. It flowed nicely and the tasks are logical. The story kept me interested.

Some little things that bugged me, and these are just my comments with hopes that devs read these....

Please have someone proof-read your translations. I cringed and chuckled every time I saw "prise" instead of "pry".

Why can I use a letter opener to pry off a wall board but not a floor board? I dont know about anyone else, but I could open a desk drawer with a letter opener.

There's millions of objects in the world, why am I always looking for keys, knives, cards, feathers and corks?

A butcher's knife is a knife, ok I concede it's also called a cleaver, but it's still a knife LOL

There were too many locked doors and drawers needing a key on this one. There's lots of other obstacles that could happen. Kudos on the beeswax and stuck drawer.

Sorry BF, I love you but holding off on this one as I have a feeling (hoping) better ones are coming soon for the holidays.

elhar02
Guppy
Guppy
149 Posts

[Post New]by elhar02 on Dec 9, 10 8:43 AM
Enjoyed the game immensely!!!! Guess I'm not one of those players who cares about shortness or trying to finish a game in record-time. Had no glitches whatsoever and thought the graphics were surperb. The hint button was excellent and the sparkles gave me some suggestions about what was needed. I did do the trial for all of 4-5 mins. and then decided to buy using a punch-code coupon and I'm certainly not sorry.

I'm not a player who's very swift and have definitely purchased many games where I had to follow the WT every other minute to make sure I was going in the right direction (back & forth, or to & fro) or making sure that I was picking up everything in order to proceed or I was in trouble. Otherwise I became completely lost and was SOL. Not that I mind that and do finish those games till the end and ultimately enjoyed them. But, to me, every once in awhile, it's nice to play an interesting/different type of game where I can figure out what to do all on my own and this game was one of those. The fact that the game was different from Dickens' story didn't bother me in the least. Have watched that movie all my life and this was certainly a "different take" on the story.

All in all, a great game IMHO.

Edited on 12/09/2010 at 9:55:00 AM PST

Dialogue
Minnow
Minnow
202 Posts

[Post New]by Dialogue on Dec 9, 10 5:39 PM
Before I say anything else about the game I would like to tell Mistickel according to my dictionary prise is a British or Canadian word that means "To move or force, especially in an effort to get something open". In American, pry. I don't know where the developers who made this game come from but the game is written in English. Maybe it is not American english but it is English nonetheless.

The game is quite manageable to me. Although I've played a lot of Adventure/Ihog games and can manage them with a little walkthrough help, it is nice to be able to get through a game without using any help at all.

I get up and walk around quite a bit so I only finished 2 and 3/4 chapters. I also read everything. Sometimes I read the dialogue twice to ensure that I am understanding what I'm reading. I don't skip minigames either unless I am completely flummoxed by them.

I like the game. There is a definite twist to the game with Marley being killed by Scrooge.(At least we know how old Marley died now)

This game is well worth the money for a beginner Adventure/Ihog gamer. Good luck and have fun.

Edited on 12/09/2010 at 5:43:28 PM PST

robin94122
Salmon
Salmon
2,810 Posts

[Post New]by robin94122 on Dec 9, 10 6:18 PM
uboba wrote:being new to games, it's very difficult to know what to do next. I have to constantly stop and refer to walk through. Couldn't there be better directions during the game?

Welcome to the forums!

There are many different kinds of games, and even within adventure games, there are many subgenres and different types of hint systems.

Even though this is a relatively easy adventure game, it still has what are called "nonlinear" aspects, meaning there will be several rooms, or even buildings, open at the same time, and it's up to you to decide which order to do things in.

People who like that kind of game like feeling immersed in the world of the story, with the freedom to explore, to notice small details in the graphics and the storyline, and to spend time thinking for themselves, wondering how best to use a particular item.

And for many of these games, Big Fish provides a free "Blog Walkthrough" posted here on this site which has step by step instructions for each chapter, including marked screenshots, so if you do get stuck you have a place to go to find out what to do next. These are usually a link from the page where you download the game.

On the other hand, many players do prefer a linear game (where you can only work in one room at a time) or a "guided adventure" where you are given a lot more clues about what to do next.

The free trials are great for deciding if a particular game is something you'll like.

For example, the classic Nancy Drew Games are full scale nonlinear adventures, but the Nancy Drew Dossier series are guided adventures with a lot more hints and fewer room choices.

Many mysteries are linear games,where you can only work in one location at a time, so you can never really get lost.

Some good easier ones are Flux Family Secrets, Murder She Wrote, The Lost Cases of Sherlock Holmes, Samantha Swift Roses of Athena, and the first two Mystery Case Files: Huntsville and Mystery Case Files: Prime Suspects.

Technically some of those aren't even adventure games, but they all have good stories, interesting artwork, and a bit of mystery.

In many cases later games in the series became more complex, so check the reviews for each specific title so you know what you're getting into.

Some people just don't like nonlinear games. It's just a question of taste.

Have fun!
Robin

Edited on 12/09/2010 at 6:31:12 PM PST

KC_Granny
Guppy
Guppy
106 Posts

[Post New]by KC_Granny on Dec 9, 10 10:44 PM
The game was really good in the beginning. Graphics were great. It was just hard enough to enjoy. But - then it started to get annoying. The time capsule ball (or whatever it was called) mini-game was tedious and simple and you had to do it constantly.

The setup was so interesting - to find out why Scrooge was such a horrible person and why Marley was dead. But, the story pretty much petered out in a rush to the end. Actually, you got left with lots of questions - what really happened to Belle Fizziwig? why did Scrooge kill Marley? why did Scrooge's father think his wife's death was Scrooge's fault?

This was probably one of the greatest story setup's I've seen - and one of the greatest disappointments when it disintegrated into 'just solve the hidden objects scenes'.

katiepops
Guppy
Guppy
152 Posts

[Post New]by katiepops on Dec 9, 10 11:55 PM
I wish I had not wasted a credit on this one.
The graphics are great, the storyline somewhat interesting, definitely twisted. The ending is abrupt and disappointing.
It only took me an hour and a half that is with the first hour being free. I played quickly through it because the puzzles are redundant and I started skipping them, they are the same over and over. I mean same exact one.
The HOG part was so simplistic it is as if it were meant for a child and I would of thought so had it not been for the storyline.
I give this one a C at best. Save your money.

Capthowdy64
Minnow
Minnow
268 Posts

[Post New]by Capthowdy64 on Dec 10, 10 12:46 AM
After I got my screen woes worked out I was able to dive right in. Granted these woes were of my monitor,not the game. Anyhow,in one scene I found the oddest things...a camera and a flashlight. Has anyone else seen this?

[Post New]by oldgalgamer on Dec 10, 10 7:35 PM
Not worth the money - seems like they ran out of steam and just ended it suddenly. Got through it too fast. I'm sorry I purchased it.

Go to: