jojo_the_joyful
Salmon
Salmon
2,761 Posts

Re:Your Comments and Reviews for Once Upon a Farm

[Post New]by jojo_the_joyful on Jan 4, 11 3:23 AM
Hello Fishes & a happy new year to you all.

I just had to try this game after Dr's review & after an hour I was chuckling at how bad it was.

But I am a cheerful person & it was with wonder & interpidation & was trying to work out what things could posibly be, a bowl, ,watch, sheet & tube to name a few LOL.

Even the storyline was bad enough to be amusing.

I gasped a few times like when the boss said he needed a bath & the reference to Guantanamo, the first boardering racism, the latter politiucal incorrectness at the leest.

I would like to add as some have ( Dark? ) that I did not see how the dressing up as a stereotypical mexican can be insulting, it was tongue in cheek.

Have you heard how our British accent is portrayed in these games ? it is as if we give the Queen elocution lessons. Yet ( thinking of a few you might know) Cheryl Cole, Posh & Becks, Wayne Roony & Tom Jones don't speek like Hugh Grant & neither do most of our citizens.

The Australians are portrayed as living on a beech wearing shorts, bar b q ing every meal & wearing a hat with corks on it. I am sure that most Australians do not fit that description yet that is how we recognise them.

Scots do not walk round in a kilt 24/7, Germans do not live in Ledehosen, & America did not fight & win WWII single handedly. It is just how different nationals are portrayed & identified.

[Post New]by Queesa on Jan 4, 11 8:22 AM
Completely agree with Goofyduck77!

barbee44
Clownfish
Clownfish
667 Posts

[Post New]by barbee44 on Jan 4, 11 10:27 AM
jojo_the_joyful wrote:Hello Fishes & a happy new year to you all.

I just had to try this game after Dr's review & after an hour I was chuckling at how bad it was.

But I am a cheerful person & it was with wonder & interpidation & was trying to work out what things could posibly be, a bowl, ,watch, sheet & tube to name a few LOL.

Even the storyline was bad enough to be amusing.

I gasped a few times like when the boss said he needed a bath & the reference to Guantanamo, the first boardering racism, the latter politiucal incorrectness at the leest.

I would like to add as some have ( Dark? ) that I did not see how the dressing up as a stereotypical mexican can be insulting, it was tongue in cheek.

Have you heard how our British accent is portrayed in these games ? it is as if we give the Queen elocution lessons. Yet ( thinking of a few you might know) Cheryl Cole, Posh & Becks, Wayne Roony & Tom Jones don't speek like Hugh Grant & neither do most of our citizens.

The Australians are portrayed as living on a beech wearing shorts, bar b q ing every meal & wearing a hat with corks on it. I am sure that most Australians do not fit that description yet that is how we recognise them.

Scots do not walk round in a kilt 24/7, Germans do not live in Ledehosen, & America did not fight & win WWII single handedly. It is just how different nationals are portrayed & identified.

Good point, Jo Jo.

Edited on 01/04/2011 at 10:27:57 AM PST

JaneMP
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
11 Posts

[Post New]by JaneMP on Jan 4, 11 11:37 AM
The first warning was the idea that going to AZ was punishment. Second was the "bowl". Third was the Mexican outfit. 4th--a federal agent breaking into a mail box. Too much--no sale here. PLEASE, BF, the people who come up with these games that racial sterotypes are not acceptable.

stanliness
Minnow
Minnow
255 Posts

[Post New]by stanliness on Jan 4, 11 12:16 PM
Dark Disciple and Jo have a valid point - who are we to make the call of what is acceptable or not (I am so sick of PC!!!)? These are games - if we don't like them, and further find them offensive, our recourse is NOT to buy. Easy. Once we hit them in the pocket, it should discourage other poorly written and translated games, and "extreme" characters, from becoming the norm. I only lasted 15 minutes before getting totally disgusted - but as we've seen, others thought it humorous. Different strokes...

Stevihj
Clownfish
Clownfish
507 Posts

[Post New]by Stevihj on Jan 4, 11 12:24 PM
This game is terrible. The gameplay is IHOG. But there are mislabeled objects ie bowl that is a trophy and tube that is a pipe. The radar dish in the lower right corner blocks some items. The story starts out with an FBI agent doing regular police work. So not happening. Save your time.

This game is a F.

textrekkie
Shark
Shark
13,265 Posts

[Post New]by textrekkie on Jan 4, 11 1:12 PM
I played the full demo and offer the following:

Pros - The graphics are very good. They are crisp and clear and it is easy to distinguish objects. The sound effects are also good and clear. In the traffic noise you can pick out different sounding vehicles. Even the over dubs are good (such as turning on the TV and being able to hear the TV and the traffic noises.)

Cons - The story line seems a little weak. Much of this I think is due to translation. Perhaps instead of an FBI agent maybe changing the main character to be just a regular detective (more plasibility) and then it doesn't seem quite so far fetched.
As for the ethnic groups involved, I truly believe that these were regrettable, but honest mistakes. Improved story and translation would also help with overall game flow. There wouldn't need to be quite so much explanation for all the scenes and objects. Additional translation effort is also need in the hidden object items.

Over all gameplay is good mechanically--the scenes transition smoothly and I didn't find any problems executing the puzzles or getting around in the game.

This was a first effort at a casual game in the hidden object genre - and I say good job. There's always room for improvement. And I look forward to seeing what else this developer can do.

[Post New]by grammysteed on Jan 4, 11 3:36 PM
This game is one of the worst...I buy a lot of games...this one is not fun!!!! don't waste your time....

doggyfish
Seahorse
Seahorse
38 Posts

[Post New]by doggyfish on Jan 4, 11 7:16 PM
Did the Big Fish really need to find a game this badly?????? Usually the quality is far, far better than this.
I think I made it 5 minutes before quitting.... and this is with the music off!

What a waste.

kikae1
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
12 Posts

[Post New]by kikae1 on Jan 5, 11 7:03 AM
After reading the comments on here I am glad the game would not get past the loading screen. I am married to a man from central america and would not want anything like this in my home much less in a game my kids would play.

FawnMart
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
15 Posts

[Post New]by FawnMart on Jan 5, 11 10:14 AM
goofyduck77 wrote:Yes, that one, too. LOL And, with you I cringed at the Mexican disguise. I thought that wasn't going to go over well with Latin-Americans and insults everyone to put such a racially-motivated character/plot in a game. And the dialogue needed tweaking, too. And adding that it just isn't an iHog that up to the standard that most of us are used to. In comparison to the last three games, this one is a D compared to a B, an A, and a B+, even without the glitches. I'm not going to buy it. Sorry folks.

Thank you Goofy! I appreciate your posts. You've saved me time and frustration a few times.

oakley007
Seahorse
Seahorse
34 Posts

[Post New]by oakley007 on Jan 5, 11 10:30 AM
Hum?? Started out interesting. What crazy farmer chains and padlocks his mailbox? "Not putting any junk mail in my box!!" I laughed out loud. But then when a tube became a pipe, a sheet was actually a maple leaf, and the watch was an alarm clock...well, I had to just say no. Happy gaming if you like a silly laugh.

[Post New]by nikkiann820 on Jan 5, 11 11:48 AM
This is the most racist game I have ever played on Big Fish. From dressing the FBI agent in Mexican clothes to the black peeping tom - just sickening. I hope Big Fish games reads these comments and removes this game. It is insulting to Hispanic and African American people. What a huge disappointment in BigFish.

LPeek
Sea Anemone
Sea Anemone
4 Posts

[Post New]by LPeek on Jan 5, 11 12:09 PM
I got ten minutes into the trial, and stopped. Like pretty much everyone else has noticed, the storyline is absurdly stupid, the language is off-putting, there is a really blatant racial stereotype and the hidden objects don't seem to have proper names attached to them (like the 'bowl' actually being a trophy?). But I'll tell you what the kicker was for me - THAT STUPID SATELLITE DISH! It rolls around with the cursor and I just couldn't stand it. If it didn't move around while I was searching, I might have played for a little bit longer. Bad, bad, bad.

[Post New]by schrec2528 on Jan 5, 11 12:54 PM
hi to all who are playing this game. i had alot of trouble finding the 4th mirror. then,someone said checked the bathroom where you change your disguise. i tried many times nothing. finally after uninstalling many times and changing profiles,i finally got it. there was never a hint,but finally i got a magnifying glass. i checked this area many times,because you all know,if you move your cursor,you would find hidden objects. the mirror is beside the big mirror. use your screwdriver to remove. then you can go to the garage,place the mirrors,play a mini puzzle and enter. put the gin in the cows water he goes to sleep. go through an opening in the floor in the back. you will go back to the house where you left the old man. then solve another hidden object game and get your matches from the draw. then you can light the lantern. go back to the garage and go thropugh the opening in the floor. proceed with more hidden object games. GOOD LUCK.

Edited on 01/05/2011 at 12:56:14 PM PST

babbydoll1201
Minnow
Minnow
281 Posts

[Post New]by babbydoll1201 on Jan 5, 11 3:12 PM
Not a buy for me at all...the game is very lame & I agree with everyone that spoke negative of the mexican disguise.

[Post New]by BethThomlinson on Jan 6, 11 8:35 PM
I agree with so many other folks that this game is a waste of time.

1. Objects with wrong names. A brush when it asked for a comb; a trophy when asked for a bowl, etc.

2. Some of the worst racial stereotyping I have seen in a game in a long time.

The game developers need to know that correctly labeling items in an HOG is essential. And having 4 wrong items in 3 screens is beyond tolerable. Developers also need to know that most people will not put up with racial stereotyping.

I played for less than 15 minutes before these factors made me quit and uninstall the game.

[Post New]by ryantiana on Jan 7, 11 7:06 PM
2 or 3 minutes were enough for me.

Instead of having an evening of pleasant escape I am now offended and angry. BF, this is a BIG thumbs down for me. Did you even test this? Do you understand that we come here seeking relaxation, not an endorsement or reinforcement of beliefs ( our own or anyone else's)?

This may be a deal-breaker for me.

Edited on 01/07/2011 at 7:07:39 PM PST

lazella
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
15 Posts

[Post New]by lazella on Jan 8, 11 3:04 AM
I am 60 years old and play a lot of hidden object games, match three, crosswords and others but I find the games lately are mostly 100% hidden object and rarely other games and this bothers me a bit. I really like hidden object games but do like to have other games to work on such as crosswords, match three, mosaics, etc. but rarely see them anyone hence my reluctance to keep paying for so many hidden object games. I notice mistakes, and lots of mistakes in this game ONCE UPON A FARM. A bowl is NOT a trophy, a tube is NOT a smoking pipe, a slipper is NOT a flip flop, a watch is NOT a clock, and a sheet is NOT and I repeat this twice because it was too stupid for words, - is NOT, NOT NOT a leaf. I cannot believe that gamers or technicial persons who make these games do not know simple language skills, or spelling skills, or even human emotions - come on a MEXICAN, can one not go there all the time. I have been a member of BIG FISH for many, many years and find all the mistakes, spelling errors and screen problems to be a vast waste of my money at times and do complain and do some some free credits but really guys your generation is suppose to be smarter than ours, more educated than ours and I find this simply to be NOT the case. Please check, double check, maybe even hire someone to review these games before having us play them and buy them. Please.

[Post New]by AriesBorn2 on Jan 9, 11 7:28 AM
This game should be put on the don't buy list no really it should be put on the don't buy list

Go to: