Re:Your Comments and Reviews for Mishap 2: An Intentional Haunting

[Post New]by vmcintyre on Feb 7, 11 7:25 AM
I downloaded this game twice so far and can't get past the profile. The game gets stuck there and I have to go to end task to get it off.

I will try one more time and then let it go.

emmyjayne
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,375 Posts

[Post New]by emmyjayne on Feb 8, 11 10:17 AM
Hmmm - not a buy for me. Not bad but just too "chaotic" - distractions everywhere - flashing, hopping, flaming, jumping, over and over again. Along with the horribly repetitive soundtrack. Artwork and creativity is excellent, though.

Kyasarin
Guppy
Guppy
166 Posts

[Post New]by Kyasarin on Feb 10, 11 5:17 AM
It's a bit of a mixed bag for me so far. I like the graphics and the sense of whimsy about the game. It's nicely varied, and they allow you to turn off the voices, which is always a selling point for me. Sadly, I noticed this too late to do anything about the horrible "Japanese" woman whose accent wasn't in the least Japanese. Sorry, I live in Japan, so I'm sensitive to incredibly stereotyped "Oriental" accents done by actors who've never bothered to find out what a Japanese or Chinese or Korean or whatever accent actually sounds like. But I digress.

Away from that--some of the mini games have been a lot of fun. Unfortunately, many of them are also very frustrating. They give you a huge list of instructions at the beginning which you can never pull up again once you start playing the game. As we all know, sometimes, once you get into a game, you realize you misunderstood something or just plain missed something. I'm the type of person who absolutely hates doing badly at a game or skipping it, but after trying multiple times on some of the games without any success, I had to. That really diminishes my enjoyment of a game.

I also agree that some of the environments are just too "busy"--too many things happening--and if you're even a little ADD, you'll start going crazy sooner or later. I'd like it more if the environments would calm down a bit after you start finding items and ghosts.

Overall, it's a fun game. I love the little stories you get about the ghosts, the crazy gadgets, the riddles and the graphics. The hidden-object scenes are just challenging enough to be fun while not going overboard, IMHO. However, the mini-games can be quite frustrating, and I have a few issues with the environments. And bad accents.

RavenQuo
Clownfish
Clownfish
839 Posts

[Post New]by RavenQuo on Feb 12, 11 7:37 PM
Great except for the final cutscene, which I've whined about in 2 other threads, so I'll leave you to read above comments about it here.

As for the rest: gorgeous graphics, nice story (great cameos/use of characters from the first story, too! It's like meeting a bunch of old friends!), just the right level of difficulty. The HOG scenes are difficult more due to camoflauge than to crowding/clutter, so it really pays to spend a while just looking over each scene before looking for anything. And there's enough to look at, trust me!

Mini-games take a while to get through: there are instructions, then you spend the first level (sometimes the 1st attempt at the whole minigame!) figuring out what the instructions mean. Assume that you might have to/want to try most of them more than once to get it right. There's no "skip", but the game lets you move on if you'd like no matter how poorly you do.

Fantastic until, but not through, the end. That was apparently too fantastic for my 'puter to handle. Unfortunately put a big damper on an otherwise outstanding game.

Mistickel
Lobster
Lobster
92 Posts

[Post New]by Mistickel on Feb 14, 11 11:59 PM
As a sequel should be, this one is better than the first. The gameplay on the first one was very good and so is this. I really like the fun characters. The scenes are beautiful, bright, colorful animated cartoon with awesome special effects. And also like the first one, I have a very hard time with the H0s, they're TINY, most smaller than the cursor, too faint or too blended in or can't make out what the object is. Im playing on a desktop 15" monitor, I dont know how people on laptops can deal. If it werent for that I would run to buy.

SMQMC
Guppy
Guppy
129 Posts

[Post New]by SMQMC on Feb 18, 11 4:11 PM
Just finished playing and all I can say is..........WOW! Supremely well done in every aspect. The graphics were out of this world (almost literally), amusing characters, fine details, goofy machines; some of which were visually horrifying if you stopped to think about them, sharp pictures with things well hidden. I did have to use the HINT button a number of times because I just couldn't find the H0s, but there they were, most were hidden in plain sight. Each level took me between 25 and 40 minutes to complete, but since I like to play the game and not have to read a lot of "stuff," I chose to ignore all the letters, posters, signs, etc. that told about each ghost. Maybe next time around I'll read them all. It was really a fun game and I'll give it five creepy people........... for all the weird "alive and animated" things in it.

Tikatoy
Minnow
Minnow
269 Posts

[Post New]by Tikatoy on Feb 27, 11 9:57 AM
Really loved this game! I'm a fan of whimsical stuff, so this really appealed to me. The artwork style is not my favourite (and all of the coloured lighting reminded me of Quake 2), but the animations were so cute and fun that I really ended up liking all of the scenes. The varied themes for each chapter were great, and I thought that the music was especially good. The background music for the pro wrestling level sounds like it could have been an actual hairband song from the 80's.

Capturing the ghosts was an easy affair. I actually had a toddler do most of the capturing (which she had a lot of fun doing) then I would read the background story of each ghost to her afterwards. I really liked the artwork for all of the ghosts. The hidden objects were of average difficulty to find.

This is probably the first casual game I've played where the minigames actually live up to their name. There's a great variety in each of the 8 games and I'll be going back to play the ones I didn't get gold in.

I had lots of fun with this one. I loved all of the ghost characters and their stories, and the creative art and great music.

Lesboop
Squid
Squid
64 Posts

[Post New]by Lesboop on May 16, 11 4:12 AM
I don't recall playing the first of the Mishap games. If it was anything like this one, I can understand why.

First thing that really annoyed the poo out of me was the constant and continual activity of everything going on around me. It was way too much of a distraction. I found the objects were very hard to find. I don't do well when I'm looking for objects that are foreign. I've never studied/or been to Japan or wherever these items originate from.

I really, really got annoyed at the LOUD scolding if I happened to click on the wrong thing. So, between not knowing what a lot of the objects were, the LOUD scolding and the constant distraction of arrows flying and what not, this is a definite no buy on my end. Now I've got a headache! Absolute confirmation of a no buy.

I am glad that there are plenty of others that are enjoying the game.

Oh, I almost forgot one more thing that ticked at me. There was no indication that the scene outside moved when you moved the cursor to either side of the scene. I can deal with that, but it wasn't the same with each scene, which made no sense to me.

Lol, ok, I'm really done now!

Laflamme
Stingray
Stingray
4,512 Posts

[Post New]by Laflamme on Dec 1, 11 6:19 AM
Final review after finishing the game:

The Good

+ high quality videos with perfect voice-overs
+ great visual style (I can deal with motions going on in every scene)
+ humor
+ lots to do for boni
+ a CE packed into a regular release

The Neutral

o Nothing really new in the game. You more or less have the same tasks as the first game. (One big scene, three smaller ones, same amount of objects to find, find 5 ghosts, piece together a gadget, solve riddle, mini game, rinse and repeat.)

The Bad

- Mini Games are hit and miss. Ideas recycled from the first game (Tower Defense, the Bakery game has become a hair salon game...). Some games are easy, some games are - for me - impossible to complete (Tower Defense - unfortunately, the walkthrough provided on this site doesn't really help either.) Some games aren't explained well (see: usage of surgery objects).

Bottom Line: If you loved the first one then definitely buy this game. If not, play the first one, then this one!

Edited on 12/01/2011 at 6:21:03 AM PST

enigma5619
Minnow
Minnow
244 Posts

[Post New]by enigma5619 on Feb 8, 12 4:43 PM
loved this part 2 the best
more fun and games and puzzles then a barrel of monkies
and the cartoonie graphics are fun
AWESOME!!!!
hope there is a 3

tookat
Flounder
Flounder
2,099 Posts

Devs? Back to the Drawing Board

[Post New]by tookat on Mar 5, 12 5:45 AM
Ok, I loved, loved loved the first game of this series. It was packed full of "stuff" in the HOS but so much of what got packed in was relevant to the scene....and a lot of it funny as all get out. This time the scenes are jam full as usual, but so many of the objects are so small, it is not only a challenge to find them, it is also less of a pleasure......I liked a lot of the stuff you put in on the first edition and wanted to enjoy pulling out my magnifying glass and chortling my way through the game.

So? Developers what happened? I still like the game but some of that rauckus humor is not there, and a bigger issue for me, the game is so glitzied up with shiney lights and back light effects that it hurts my eyes to look for all the timy objects that are splashed around the scenes. I loved the matte artwork on the first one...it didn't need to be "improved".

What? are we a bunch of little kids who want bright flashy lights, kittens that need to have lots of "ooh shinee!" to pounce on... or are we gamers?

At least most of the other features that made the first game a laugh riot to play are still there, glad you didn't change it too much.

I won't be buying the collectors edition this time...and am going to wait for the SE to be on sale. Not going to reward you for dumbing down the game guys.

ps.....The look of the first game was fabulous and funny....I don't know why you decided to enhance everything with jewels and halo effects. What happened did you get confused and think you were doing a fairland hide and go seek game instead of trusting your own brilliant designer instincts that made all that grown in a twisted factory greenhouse organic style of the first one such a unique as well as fun game?

lisablue4369
Flounder
Flounder
2,105 Posts

[Post New]by lisablue4369 on Apr 20, 12 6:33 AM
i really enjoyed this game 5-stars---------------doug

lisablue4369
Flounder
Flounder
2,105 Posts

[Post New]by lisablue4369 on Jun 23, 12 10:53 AM
this is the 2nd mishap game and this game is good as the 1st one, if not better. it has alot of lights and alot of odd & crazy things to do. it is a buy for us.------------------doug & lisa

Mickeycb
Minnow
Minnow
221 Posts

[Post New]by Mickeycb on Mar 2, 13 8:16 PM
From what I've read and from what I played, you are either going to like it, or not. I'm in the not category. True it's different, very different, but when I had to start playing an "arcade" style of game, sorry not for me! If I wanted that type of game I would have bought one. I usually love the artwork and sometimes the quirkiness of games, but this one is just too busy. Honestly, I don't think I even figured out what the heck I was suppose to be doing....and it isn't my first rodeo, so not a fan, sorry.

bessiegirl
Clownfish
Clownfish
738 Posts

[Post New]by bessiegirl on Mar 10, 13 5:17 AM
How sad...this game looked like it could have been fun but the opening scene was two very cluttered HOS with way too much dialog, interuptions and things going on. This HOS was back to back, literally with another one. I usually don't mind HOS, but this was too much...too may bangs and whistles and dialog boxes...wore me out. The click penalty was fun, but occurred way to quickly for me.

The graphics were beautiful and colorful...and the store seemed unique...I think. Oh well, not going to waste my time.

cat52
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,169 Posts

[Post New]by cat52 on Mar 10, 13 7:22 AM
After demo-ing, I bought on a special and gave myself a profile named "Squinty", because even though I end up with a headache from eyestrain, the game is different and amusing enough to play through. You definitely need a sense of humor that is on somewhat the same wavelength as the devs. A little quirky? I wondered if they misspelled the bad guy's name because, backwards, it spells villian and not villain and then wondered if maybe they did it on purpose - such is the humor.

One unintended amusing point is me trying to play the inter-chapter arcade-type games. Useless? Hey, I did get a gold in a couple of random rounds here and there, but mostly I was laughing so hard at my ineptitude, I just clicked everything as fast as I could and watched myself lose.

Go to: