jennsmom
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,207 Posts

Re:Your Comments and Reviews for Murder Island: Secret of Tantalus

[Post New]by jennsmom on Feb 2, 11 5:29 PM
Valdy wrote:
jennsmom wrote:I enjoyed the game, but will have to play it again in the future, because I didn't find all the tiles -- only missed two, but I want to find those tiles.

Oooh... you found 1 more than I did. LOL I missed 3 tiles, and will want to be able to find all of them next time I play the game.

I am playing it again because those missing tiles were bugging me, and I have all but one tile this time. I know there are three in each scene and the one I am missing is from the pool area. Help? Anyone?

WilJul
Stingray
Stingray
5,670 Posts

[Post New]by WilJul on Feb 2, 11 8:27 PM
jennsmom wrote:
I am playing it again because those missing tiles were bugging me, and I have all but one tile this time. I know there are three in each scene and the one I am missing is from the pool area. Help? Anyone?

Hi jennsmom! While playing the game if you open the map you have a compass rose in the upper left. Each time you find 12 tiles you unlock a piece of Greek mythology trivia. Each piece you unlock is denoted by a full color triangular piece on the compass rose - so each "pie piece" represents 12 tiles. The unlocked ones are grayed out. Along the edge of the compass rose are twelve curved rectangular pieces that turn blue for each tile you have found. I looked at it at the end of my game and saw I still had 4 tiles to find, I had unlocked all "pie pieces" except the last one which was still gray and I had four rectangular pieces that weren't colored in blue, so that meant I only had 4 tiles to find. I also found out (after I finished the game) that when you are in a location that still has a tile to be found the star in the compass rose will light up yellow - so check that often to find your tiles!

Hope this helps! Good luck!

helenzp
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
13 Posts

[Post New]by helenzp on Feb 2, 11 9:06 PM
Overall, I enjoyed the game and the story-line. I just finished the game but some of the "techy" stuff was exhausting. Many times I knew what to do but had to click several time to find the "exact" spot of placement of an item. This is way too time consuming. Lighten up on the tight placements! Otherwise I enjoyed it.

[Post New]by WiccanWoman530 on Feb 3, 11 3:20 AM
WilJul wrote: I also found out (after I finished the game) that when you are in a location that still has a tile to be found the star in the compass rose will light up yellow - so check that often to find your tiles!

I found all but 1! I think I know where too.. but that will def help during future replay, thanks for sharing that tip WilJul!

I this game! I like a lot of dialog and story so this one had me in heaven. I thought the voice acting was OK. A lot better than some I've seen in other games! I'd rather have bad voice acting then none now anyway. I've gotten spoiled by the many newer games that do and though I don't mind reading (love to) I'm bummed and feel a Developer takes the cheap route if a games has none. A few times they even had me when their frantic voices "popped up"! Very few games get me like that, I'm a hard "scare" lol Sooo bravo!

The plot was very modern horror. Reminded me of a very well know horror series from the 2000's that had a signature black hood white long face mask in it. For a change instead of a lost uncle we got HIGHLIGHT FOR SPOILER a twisted weekend at bernies .. only poor bernie ain't having fun! LOL Very original. Was nice to have a setting in Greece instead of middle of nowhere haunted spooky building or the usual Egypt thats been done to death.

The game flowed well and the graphics looked fine on my laptop. I think the distance graphics like mountains, water, island, buildings could have been made that way, to make the H0s and tiles harder to spot.

The game is a perfect middle of a challenge and easy the whole way through. Good mini's, not the same one over and over. Some common ones with a cool twist and some original minis too *clap clap clap*The game lasted me all day and into the night (I take food/smoke breaks don't skip really take in the whole game) so maybe 6-8 hours total for me not counting breaks. Lots of H0 scenes and tiles def made the game last longer.

This was sooo worth a credit.. and thats saying a lot cuz I'm saving them to use for CEs someday. For a ihog SE that wasn't a CE...

This is a perfect 10 and HUGE WTG to the Developers for making such an awesome iHOG, make more!!!!!

jennsmom
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,207 Posts

[Post New]by jennsmom on Feb 3, 11 4:45 AM
WilJul wrote:
jennsmom wrote:

Hi jennsmom! While playing the game if you open the map you have a compass rose in the upper left. Each time you find 12 tiles you unlock a piece of Greek mythology trivia. Each piece you unlock is denoted by a full color triangular piece on the compass rose - so each "pie piece" represents 12 tiles. The unlocked ones are grayed out. Along the edge of the compass rose are twelve curved rectangular pieces that turn blue for each tile you have found. I looked at it at the end of my game and saw I still had 4 tiles to find, I had unlocked all "pie pieces" except the last one which was still gray and I had four rectangular pieces that weren't colored in blue, so that meant I only had 4 tiles to find. I also found out (after I finished the game) that when you are in a location that still has a tile to be found the star in the compass rose will light up yellow - so check that often to find your tiles!

Hope this helps! Good luck!

I did find that out -- and here I thought I was being so clever! That's how I know I'm missing one from the pool area. But I keep looking at that scene, even with a magnifying glass, and can't find the darn tile! Thanks for the answer.

uniphin
Starfish
Starfish
59 Posts

[Post New]by uniphin on Feb 3, 11 6:16 AM
Well i have to say that i really enjoyed this game, good story for a change,and good graphics, yes there is a lot of walking around but this is ok if you use the map to jump from one scene to another, game was a good length, possibly 3-4 hours, well worth a try.

LostForever
Minnow
Minnow
262 Posts

[Post New]by LostForever on Feb 3, 11 8:22 AM

Although i like spooky sanatoriums and haunted mansions HOG games (my Favorite) also. This game was a nice whodunit change of pace - takes place in sunny Greece, not Egypt, had sunny graphics, did not have to stand in one spot or wander all over, not having a clue what to do like most of the adventure games with Syberia II being an exception to that statement and that one adventure whodunit game that took place in a hotel and someone was killing off the guests one by one really enjoyed that one cant remember the name though.

Anyway, Murder Island was a buy for me.

laraly
Parrotfish
Parrotfish
428 Posts

[Post New]by laraly on Feb 3, 11 10:00 AM
Finished up, nice and simple game, the best thing: the scenario; overall the game has a few technical issue, sometimes it was hard to place the pieces in a scene or puzzle, also penalty for the wrong clicks, I mean the pointer would spin, the end was surprising but so naive. I would rate this game 3 1/2 .

burningswan
Lobster
Lobster
90 Posts

[Post New]by burningswan on Feb 3, 11 12:45 PM
Review of the hour demo:

At first I thought this was going to be a loser, but it turns out to be fun. All the obvious have mentioned in the good reviews by the usual suspects. I wanted to add that the game made me think of the old Tex Murphy adventure stories from years ago. It is the presentation and the characters themselves that made me remember those classic games.

Cromaxgal
Clownfish
Clownfish
730 Posts

[Post New]by Cromaxgal on Feb 3, 11 6:13 PM
Items are tooooo hard to find, toooooo small and when I have to use a hint for every item - it's not a game for me. I like a little action and this is boring. Besides the graphics are not crisp enough

mendolyn
Guppy
Guppy
129 Posts

[Post New]by mendolyn on Feb 3, 11 8:41 PM
started playing this one, not really sure if i'd like it at all. like others i didn't like the hint bar at the bottom of the screen telling me what i should be doing, so i started ignoring it and pretty soon i didn't really notice it. also i took off the custom cursor because it just was glitchy for me and made getting around a little tedious unless i wanted to map jump. that being said i just enjoyed the heck out of this game! it was lots of fun. my kids and i sat here and played it together straight thru. while the puzzles and HOG's were challenging sometimes we got thru pretty well and rarely needed hints, just patience. some of the HOG scenes had funny clues to help you find an item instead of the names, we had a hoot trying to figure out what they were and also finding items to put together for some of them was fun too (my only suggestion is that there should be an option to turn off the hand that appears over the pieces you need to put together so it's more challenging along with turning off the hints at the bottom of the screen when you're wandering about). the story was fun and sometimes funny and we sat here commenting about what we thought was going to happen next and we all had some pretty wild ideas! the ending was satisfying, the game was reasonable in length. the voice acting cutscenes could be a little silly at times but i honestly didn't find them that annoying and they were certainly better than the maid in the 13th Skull (her voice and attitude screamed "duct tape!" to me XD ) i suggest giving this one a try and play the whole trial period because it'll really grow on you!

happy gaming everyone!

gingergal
Manatee
Manatee
3,873 Posts

[Post New]by gingergal on Feb 4, 11 11:50 AM
length of game is so short! I just finished demo, and looked at the walkthrough, so I would know how long the game is and I am more than half way finished?!
I got all the bells in about 15 mins without trying, and got 2nd lot of green tiles.

I don't like the choppy old fashioned cutscenes. It's OK playability, with about 1 or 2 items in the hidden object scene for you to interact with, so takes it up a slight notch from normal hidden object scenes (ie - put a teabag in a cup, then pour kettle over it). But it doesn't look like from the map, that there is a lot of different scenes.

If it was a long game, then I would consider buying it. But if you have a really short game (looks like 2hrs for me) then it has to be brilliant gameplay to make up for it.

And although I play quite a few of these style games, I am not one of the many here, who are whizz kids and can play games super fast. I would say I was an average player.

jillaroogirl
Minnow
Minnow
299 Posts

[Post New]by jillaroogirl on Feb 4, 11 3:07 PM
I'm surprised at the number of people who like this game as I found it incredibly boring.

mendolyn
Guppy
Guppy
129 Posts

[Post New]by mendolyn on Feb 4, 11 4:01 PM
gingergal wrote:length of game is so short! I just finished demo, and looked at the walkthrough, so I would know how long the game is and I am more than half way finished?!
I got all the bells in about 15 mins without trying, and got 2nd lot of green tiles.

I don't like the choppy old fashioned cutscenes. It's OK playability, with about 1 or 2 items in the hidden object scene for you to interact with, so takes it up a slight notch from normal hidden object scenes (ie - put a teabag in a cup, then pour kettle over it). But it doesn't look like from the map, that there is a lot of different scenes.

If it was a long game, then I would consider buying it. But if you have a really short game (looks like 2hrs for me) then it has to be brilliant gameplay to make up for it.

And although I play quite a few of these style games, I am not one of the many here, who are whizz kids and can play games super fast. I would say I was an average player.

the game is actually a pretty reasonable length and don't judge too much by the locations on the map because they aren't all available until the story progresses further. and maybe you ARE just a super whiz at these types of games XD so it won't be so long, but my two teenagers and i played it for at the very least 3 1/2 hours, which with 6 eyes looking/racing to find stuff makes for a pretty decent game length so it might be longer for people playing by themselves. none of it is too very hard tbh, some of it just needs patience but it's still fun and seemed plenty long to us. we just got a winter snow storm and have been trapped in the house playing HOG's and FROG's together for 3 days and it didn't seem much shorter than the others we went thru. hope this helps, and maybe it'll at least be a good DD for you sometime if nothing else. happy gaming

sandebeach
Shark
Shark
10,388 Posts

[Post New]by sandebeach on Feb 4, 11 4:37 PM
I decided to demo this game after seeing the BFG weekend Playfirst sale. Started the demo this AM, got caught up in the game, and have been playing on and off all day, just finished. I really enjoyed the game, and the ending was quite a surprise! This reminded me of watching a movie and playing a game in between the scenes and as a segway into the next act. Liked the use of real actors in the scenes, their voices added to the overall game experience, helped me feel like I was actually a part of the cast (so I enjoyed the very last page of the game). The game kept me interested, the graphics were great, and as a person who loves Hidden Object games, there was more than enough of these for me. In the Hidden Object scenes, I also enjoyed the "guess what the item is" riddles, and also the interactive ones where 1-2 items had to be added together to obtain the item. During the game you gather 96 green titles, somehow I missed getting two of the tiles, so I will play again and try to get them all. One of the best parts of the game was the map, which showed you where you were, and what areas still had tasks that needed to be completed. From the map you can jump to any area, LOVED this feature, wish all adventure games had these. This is my very first Playfirst game, hope they make more games like this. I also appreciate the special sales that BFG puts on from time to time, I am always happy when buying and saving dollars!

candycreme
Clownfish
Clownfish
548 Posts

[Post New]by candycreme on Feb 4, 11 9:54 PM
Would have loved to play this game but items too small!

[Post New]by Lauradelenn on Feb 5, 11 4:34 PM
I was pleasantly suprised by this game; at first, I thought this would at best be an average HOG game, but ended up being pretty impressed with it.

Brightly lit scenes, nice scenery, good HOGs that had items that made sense for the scene and most of which were not too terribly hard to find. The sound effects were nice and appropriate (such as windchimes at the fountain), present to enhance the feeling that you were really on a Greek island, but not obtrusive. I barely noticed the music, to be honest.

The puzzles were middling hard to almost easy, which is good in my book. I like the odd puzzle or three, but really hate the absolutely impossible ones that require complicated mapping out to figure how to move your pieces or connect things. These were just difficult enough to not be too easy and provide a change up from just travelling between scenes or doing hidden object scenes.

It was nice to have a really good, interactive storyline that held up throughout the game; it was integral to the game and not just a prop used at the beginning to start a loosely connected series of static HOG scenes. I also don't normally enjoy having live actors in my games, but found these to be helpful in making it seem as if I were really part of a group of people stranded on the island.

I must admit I suspected fairly early on much of what was going on in terms of plot, but it didn't detract from my enjoyment of the game at all - the game was well enough done that I enjoyed the twists and turns regardless...

This game was WELL worth the 4.99 price tag, and would be good for 6.99 as well. I look forward to more adventure games from this developer!

[Post New]by Lauradelenn on Feb 5, 11 4:49 PM
[quote
I always do a demo before I buy -- that's one of the great things about BF. After playing for an hour, I can get a feel for the game and know whether it is one that I will like. Can't imagine buying one without trying it first.

PS: The people at Big Finish Games that developed this game are also the people who brought us the Tex Murphy series of pure adventure games in the 90's. You may be familiar with them if you like adventure w/o H0 games.

They did the Tex Murphy games?? Get out! Those were my FAVORITE games of all time! Still waiting for them to release another (yeah I know, never going to happen, but a gal can hope can't she?).

Thanks for sharing that info. I miss those plain old adventure game days; those are still my favorite types of games and I wish there were more of them being made. HOGs are a poor country cousin compared to the real thing....

mcurty
Dolphin
Dolphin
6,991 Posts

[Post New]by mcurty on Feb 5, 11 5:04 PM
They did the Tex Murphy games?? Get out! Those were my FAVORITE games of all time! Still waiting for them to release another (yeah I know, never going to happen, but a gal can hope can't she?).

Sometimes hopes can come true. The development team behind this game and the Tex Murphy games have hopes/plans of producing a Tex Murphy sequel. There are things in the works at this time. You can go to their web site and find a link to a radio interview where they talk about it. I believe the game that they have hinted at on their site as "in the works" is the beginning. We now have something to really look forward to............ {hope, hope}
m
PS to add: Did you recognize the voice of the pilot in this game? If you are a Tex Murphy fan, you might have recognized Chris Jones' voice -- at least it sounded like him.

Edited on 02/05/2011 at 5:27:10 PM PST

lunachan
Guppy
Guppy
171 Posts

[Post New]by lunachan on Feb 6, 11 11:54 AM
Good game, very good voice acting and story line. Took me two days to play, so discounting about 6 hours with finding all 96 tiles. I love history so it was cool to learn more about Greek mythology. Game was challenging and intriguing at same time. Would also like to see/play more of the same from Playfirst.
Have fun everyone!
-lunachan

Go to: