silverink
Minnow
Minnow
200 Posts

Re:Your Comments and Reviews for Hallowed Legends: Samhain Collector's Edition

[Post New]by silverink on Mar 22, 11 1:53 PM
This was a well-made game in terms of smooth game-play, with clear graphics and good adventure elements. It was somewhat challenging played on the advanced level, and was lengthy with lots to explore. There were a few rather difficult puzzles, however I found myself just skipping some out of frustration and/or boredom.

Although the game was good on many levels, overall, it did not involve me as many similar games have - I felt there was a lot lacking in the story elements. While it supposedly had a spooky Celtic theme, little about the game provided that type of an atmosphere, in my opinion. It seemed more like a slightly disjointed science fiction adventure with only a few scenes that seemed to accurately depict the area of the world the legend referenced. Although the graphics were quite well done, I felt the scenes were mostly depressing and bleak - more scientific/mechanical than mystical, which was not what I would have expected based on the premise of the what the game was about.

I did like the achievements, and wish CEs always included this type of extra. Also, I appreciated that the wallpapers were available at the beginning of the game - another thing I think CEs should always provide. The bonus game was so-so; it added a little to the story, but it seemed to me that a few of the puzzles had some glitches - I was unable to pick up and place pieces in one of the puzzles.

So while I think the game had a lot to offer, I feel that it was not as engaging as it could have been in terms of a cohesive story and atmosphere.

Rudygeegee
Clownfish
Clownfish
761 Posts

[Post New]by Rudygeegee on Mar 23, 11 7:06 AM
Very good game....I usually try out 20 games and might consider one. Normally always wait for the SE version, but this game had great graphics, puzzles that needed some logic, and a storyline that was just right. So, went ahead and purchased the CE. I give it

Definitely a buy for me.

GraciesDD
Minnow
Minnow
293 Posts

[Post New]by GraciesDD on Mar 23, 11 8:19 PM
silverink wrote:This was a well-made game in terms of smooth game-play, with clear graphics and good adventure elements. It was somewhat challenging played on the advanced level, and was lengthy with lots to explore. There were a few rather difficult puzzles, however I found myself just skipping some out of frustration and/or boredom.

Although the game was good on many levels, overall, it did not involve me as many similar games have - I felt there was a lot lacking in the story elements. While it supposedly had a spooky Celtic theme, little about the game provided that type of an atmosphere, in my opinion. It seemed more like a slightly disjointed science fiction adventure with only a few scenes that seemed to accurately depict the area of the world the legend referenced. Although the graphics were quite well done, I felt the scenes were mostly depressing and bleak - more scientific/mechanical than mystical, which was not what I would have expected based on the premise of the what the game was about.

I did like the achievements, and wish CEs always included this type of extra. Also, I appreciated that the wallpapers were available at the beginning of the game - another thing I think CEs should always provide. The bonus game was so-so; it added a little to the story, but it seemed to me that a few of the puzzles had some glitches - I was unable to pick up and place pieces in one of the puzzles.

So while I think the game had a lot to offer, I feel that it was not as engaging as it could have been in terms of a cohesive story and atmosphere.

I have to agree with you. Everything was fine but the story just did not grab me at all.

Poutoule
Archerfish
Archerfish
41,630 Posts

[Post New]by Poutoule on Mar 24, 11 2:11 PM
MN_BadGirl wrote:This is a game I will not purchase. I liked it but finished the game with 2 minutes left on the trial time. I'm pretty slow because I am usually doing 3 things at once so it's very unusual for me to finish any game before running out of time.

Other than that, it was an interesting and fun game. Liked the graphics. I can't comment on the music because I always turn it down/off. It was spooky. I liked the hidden objects. They weren't either too easy or too difficult to find.

As time goes by and I get older I find it harder to locate objects on a dark scene. I find myself moving my laptop screen to try to locate objects in a corner or anywhere the screen is very dark.

Finished the game during the trial hour ?? Boy! I thought I was a slow player but now I must admit I'm just a crippled old turtle....... Wonder if you have time to breathe while you're playing

Poutoule
Archerfish
Archerfish
41,630 Posts

[Post New]by Poutoule on Mar 24, 11 2:40 PM
About the game : the first images of the game, this creature, half human, half animal, were gorgeous, otherwise good graphics and mini games, turned the sound off. The game didn't grab me at all, in fact I was quite glad when it ended. May be I'm not clever enough, or wasn't enjoying the game enough to search toroughly what I was meant to do so I used a lot of the SG which I hate doing. Should have bought Shiver instead of this one. I only played 20 minutes of the demo and they were probably the best, that's why I bought. Can't say it's a bad game but it's not good either. Quite disappointed.

babbydoll1201
Minnow
Minnow
281 Posts

[Post New]by babbydoll1201 on Mar 24, 11 7:02 PM
Wow! What a very unique story-line & game....I loved the graphics very much..some actually seemed kind of real to me. The game length is leaving me very pleased as well. I have bought all CE when they are **** games & this one is well worth the 13.99... I also take advantage of the bonus content & use the screensavers so my husband can see how cool the games really are & look. If you are looking for a good quality game with a nice length...THIS IS THE GAME TO BUY!!! The bonus game content is probably the longest I have seen in awhile...I hope you all enjoy the game as much as i am....

babbydoll1201
Minnow
Minnow
281 Posts

[Post New]by babbydoll1201 on Mar 24, 11 7:09 PM
MN_BadGirl wrote:This is a game I will not purchase. I liked it but finished the game with 2 minutes left on the trial time. I'm pretty slow because I am usually doing 3 things at once so it's very unusual for me to finish any game before running out of time.

Other than that, it was an interesting and fun game. Liked the graphics. I can't comment on the music because I always turn it down/off. It was spooky. I liked the hidden objects. They weren't either too easy or too difficult to find.

As time goes by and I get older I find it harder to locate objects on a dark scene. I find myself moving my laptop screen to try to locate objects in a corner or anywhere the screen is very dark.

You finished the game before your demo ended? How? This game was very long...i can not imagine how you finished this whole hgame in 58 minutes? I think the trial game only lets you go so far & if you reach that point in the game it will stop & say..hope youenjoyed te game or something along that line ...

chessiegirl
Guppy
Guppy
169 Posts

[Post New]by chessiegirl on Mar 24, 11 7:43 PM
I'm with you babbydoll1201 it has taken me days to play this game. I bought the CE and while it was okay for me it seemed to drag on and on etc...I haven't even played the bonus play yet.. I usually play a game between 6-8 hours (take my time) but this one I really had to make myself finish it .... just okay

FeyKina
Minnow
Minnow
222 Posts

[Post New]by FeyKina on Mar 25, 11 1:47 AM
great art, story, atmosphere everything I love - but the puzzles were very uneven illogical and not very satisfying to solve. I will probably finish it , but a bit dissappointed. It looked and sounded like the perfect game!

marteaf
Seahorse
Seahorse
20 Posts

[Post New]by marteaf on Mar 25, 11 3:51 AM
I really enjoyed this game. In my eyes this is the perfect adventure-game for me. Not to many ****-scenes, and you don't have to go back to the same ****-scenes repeatedly. The graphics are stunning too. And the puzzles are varied and not to hard.
One thing I would love to see is voicing. That would make this game a 10/10 for me, I'll give it a 9/10

bluecat434
Clownfish
Clownfish
858 Posts

[Post New]by bluecat434 on Mar 25, 11 7:15 PM
Love this one, love this one, love this one. I haven't seen this much variation in mini-games in a long time, and several kept me very very busy for quite some time. (I thought the one involving the animals which must be moved to specific gates was especially interesting and a good challenge.) A few old standards but all with twists, some completely new to me and all beautifully done.

The pacing is really good: I never got that slight "oh no" sense of one H0 scene too many, one mini-game too many, and not too much needless back-and-forth. You encounter a little handholding in the adventure elements of the game, but nothing too unusual . Overall a nice flow that keeps the game fresh throughout. The length is another plus.

The music is beautiful and so are the graphics. The cut scenes are a joy. Apparently the bonus chapter is short (judging by other comments), but the wallpaper and concept art are so unusual that I don't really mind. (I used a game wallpaper for the first time ) The game also give you an achievements list, and for once, most are pretty attainable in the first play.

H0 screens are very clear and well lit. Some say "too easy," but I say "Yay! More time to wander around and enjoy the scenery." Hints are unlimited and even in challenge mode recharge fairly quickly.

One weird technical glitch: Often have a blank screen upon pushing "play." Takes a while to load.

All in all, really nice, really nice, really nice!

Edited on 03/25/2011 at 7:24:26 PM PST

great game

[Post New]by meowasaurus on Mar 26, 11 9:44 AM
I had fun with this one, perfect for a cold winter's afternoon. Lots of fun locations, so good variety. The bird sound was not the best, as others have noted it seemed out of context. Also in the bonus round the train station seemed to be located in a different place .... hmmm. However this did not interfere with my enjoyment of the game.

jillaroogirl
Minnow
Minnow
299 Posts

[Post New]by jillaroogirl on Mar 26, 11 9:10 PM
I seem to be one of the few people who didn't like this game. I expected better for a CE game and that it didn't live up to the rave reviews here. I thought it was funny that the diaglogue kept going on about how the particular room or scene was scary, when I found it laughable. I think if a developer has to tell you how you should be feeling, then it is going to be the opposite.

A no buy for me.

Lucy1997
Clownfish
Clownfish
852 Posts

[Post New]by Lucy1997 on Mar 29, 11 1:11 AM

I think you only finished the demo, which cut off in the basement of the church, which I also finished before the demo hour was up. A number of game developers only put out part of the game for the demo, but the games continue for quite a while after that.

[Post New]by Porcelaincougar on Mar 31, 11 7:54 PM
Hello Fellow Fishies!
I'm finding "Elephant Games" to be the new "Star" in the "Felix galaxy!"
"The Void" which got a game of the year award, {2010} got me started.
Very well thought out story line, beautiful graphics, achievement levels, {who doesn't like "hearing" how well you're doing?}
The sounds are, for lack of a better term, delicious.
Not just about Hidden Object, it is an adventure!
Mystery Case Files spoiled the heck out of all of us, in that, we want all games to be like this!
Well, "The Void" and "Hallowed Legends" come closer than, than, !
Check these out, and I'll be anxious to hear what you think!

[Post New]by Porcelaincougar on Mar 31, 11 8:01 PM
Itsupikachu wrote:I don't think this one is for me. I played about 20 minutes and the farther I got the more uncomfortable I became. It's full of evil spirits, etc., but why am I not surprised? Such a shame because the game ran well on my computer and the graphics are supurb. However, because of the evil content and the fact that's a CE, it's a no buy for me. ( I wouldn't buy the SE, either, though, because of the content).

[Post New]by Rasenna611 on Apr 4, 11 4:35 PM
I'm wondering if anyone knows when the SE of Samhain will be released. I have a club credit and am seriously considering getting this game. Thanks for the help!

Sara

vingilot
Dolphin
Dolphin
6,175 Posts

[Post New]by vingilot on Apr 4, 11 9:33 PM
Rasenna611 wrote:I'm wondering if anyone knows when the SE of Samhain will be released. I have a club credit and am seriously considering getting this game. Thanks for the help!

Sara

According to Mudrock, it should be coming out this week for PC and Mac.

vicalana
Stingray
Stingray
5,296 Posts

[Post New]by vicalana on Apr 5, 11 4:15 AM
I'm afraid I'm wading through this one. Don't think it'll be on my replay list. I agree with whoever said it was disappointing because - although very beautiful - it seems like sci-fi rather than folklore. Some games I can't tear myself away from (Shivers for example/Phantom) but this one I am getting a bit fed up with.

vicalana
Stingray
Stingray
5,296 Posts

[Post New]by vicalana on Apr 5, 11 7:53 AM
OK Am onto the bonus content now. But I am so disappointed - not complaining - as you know I am spoiled rotten and I certainly got my money's worth. BUT a bucket of water can't put out a little fire and a bucket of sand can put out a whole fire in a warehouse????
I loved Lost in the City - not so crazy about the second one - but this game - left me feeling a bit flat. (ATBSTTA )

Go to: