Re:Your Comments and Reviews for Margrave: The Curse of the Severed Heart

[Post New]by Liasmani on Jul 12, 11 3:51 PM
Game Ratings:

Graphics – 2.5 stars
Story – 2.5 stars
Music/Sounds – 3 stars
Gameplay – 3 stars
Overall – 2.75 stars

My ratings of games can be high as 5 and can be low as 1.

Ratings Explained:

1 star: Poor
2 stars: Okay
3 stars: Good
4 stars: Great
5 stars: Excellent

I won’t be purchasing this game at all. For those who did – Happy Gaming!

100thMonkey
Squid
Squid
72 Posts

[Post New]by 100thMonkey on Jul 16, 11 12:27 AM
I thought this was a beautiful game. The settings were unusual and the style of the artwork totally refreshing. I really liked the voices and thought the acting was in a better class than most of the games I've played. I loved the little shadow animals. The travel through the game was fascinating. I also enjoyed the music and was very happy with the tender message in the end.

Thanks for such a wonderful experience. It just goes to show that there are many adventures to create that aren't all the same.

Terry200
Seahorse
Seahorse
24 Posts

[Post New]by Terry200 on Jul 16, 11 4:27 PM
I seldom post anything, but I thoroughly enjoyed everything about this game. It has a great storyline and I was happy to be a part of it.

Paristan
Seahorse
Seahorse
35 Posts

[Post New]by Paristan on Jul 21, 11 3:20 AM
blujeens wrote:Wow, I'm glad I did! The first thing that blew me away was the intro music by Helen Lawson singing "This Town." I had to let the tune play twice all the way thru before I could even click on Play the first time! And then I had to let it play thru again every time I got back to the game (don't have the time to play for hours at a time like some of you can! ) She's a fantastic singer - like a British version of Carly Simon or Janis Ian.
3. The voice of the woman was not grating or annoying to me. She's got a British accent, but it was clear and easy to understand unlike some of the other games.

4. The game music was usually soothing to listen to. In fact I hung around one or two scenes a few seconds longer just to listen to it.

All in all, I extremely glad that I purchased this game. It was just different enough from some of the other HOGs that I will not forget this one. I HIGHLY recommend buying it, and I hope that future buyers don't get too put off by the first few reviews on this posting.

Thanks for your great review! Your comments, particularly about the music, encouraged me to download and I am really glad that I did. Iloved this game and the accents. I have more trouble with American accents but I guess that is because I live in AUstralia. If I had known how good this was going to be I would have bought the CE version

lisablue4369
Flounder
Flounder
2,105 Posts

[Post New]by lisablue4369 on Jul 25, 11 9:01 AM
this is a GREAT game, and it is fun to play. i give this game a B++++++++

[Post New]by sedatedwoman on Aug 6, 11 4:57 AM
WOW do not know how I missed this one when it came out. I actually have a binder that I use to keep track of all the games that I tried or just have them in there with the comments and I was going thru it and saw this one....doesn't look like I even d/l the trial version.

Ohmygosh beautiful ! awesome awesome game. Just finished the trial and I bought it. This is what a point-and-click Adventure/HOG should be. Original, mysterious, absorbing, beautiful ... this is worth every penny ( except I used my coupon)
this is a must have game!

[Post New]by ButterflySmiles on Aug 7, 11 12:57 PM
?? Can't enjoy this game! I love all your hidden object games but this one bites the bad apple big time. I'm stuck I can't seem to get any further in the game. I ? BF GAMES BUT if walk thru don't help me then what am I to do? I'll update the game review later when I can past it. ? ?

Tikatoy
Minnow
Minnow
269 Posts

[Post New]by Tikatoy on Aug 11, 11 11:01 PM
Ooh, I really liked this! The biggest draw to me was the artwork. I really love the dreamy, otherworldly style and all of the locations seemed really alive, with lots of plants and flowers or weathered stone. I also like the ones that veered into fantasy/steampunk territory. I loved the visual appearance of the ghost animals and the dream cards were beautiful.

The music really enhanced the atmosphere--it was dependent on the location you're in, rather than just looping between several tracks, and could range from soothing to somewhat menacing. This was great for keeping the game in the spooky/unnerving realm, and kept it from veering into horror.

The hidden object scenes were done in a similar style to the locations and were gorgeous. Ironically, hidden object scenes are usually my least favourite part of HOGs but I really enjoyed the ones in this game! They were above average in difficulty, and many objects were camouflaged by colour or hidden along edges of other objects, making them tough to find, but still fair. I used hints a couple of times, and I think the hint animation is one of the best/most original ones I've seen so far! (It's the shadow of a creature? that stretches out so its "head" encircles the object)

The puzzles were also of above average difficulty (for this genre). I especially liked the dream card puzzles, which was good because there were quite a few of them. You have to do a little bit more thinking/planning with those than the typical iHOG puzzle.

I enjoyed the way the story progressed, although I didn't really like the ending, and I would have liked a little bit more back story. The pronunciation of "inventory" was upsetting, but at least she never says it again for the rest of the game. Other than that, I don't have complaints about the voice acting. Most other games have worse voice acting than this.

I thought this game was wonderful and really enjoyed it!

unknitter
Clownfish
Clownfish
535 Posts

[Post New]by unknitter on Oct 23, 11 7:48 PM
The trial downloaded with only 15 minutes of play. It started somewhere in the middle of the game with an inventory full of items! I had no idea what the story was about or what I was supposed to do. Obviously this is a no-buy for me. Too bad, it seems like it could be interesting.

bessiegirl
Clownfish
Clownfish
738 Posts

[Post New]by bessiegirl on Dec 28, 11 7:51 AM
Apparently I had partially demoed this once before but didn't finish it. Dowloaded this time and purchased the game. Must have turned off the voices because I don't remember any annoying voices, except on a couple of things. Hard story to follow, and thank goodness for the quick refreshing hint button or I would have not known where to go or what to do sometimes. HOGs were OK with me but those card games were awful...I skipped all of them. Switching back and forth in the inventory was annoying and awkward. A map would have been good to have since switching/moving between so many scenes was confusing sometimes....well, most of the time.

Found the graphics and music nice...soothing. Basically enjoyed playing the game if I forgot there was actually a storyline. Good for a "sale" game, but I wouldn't pay full price for it. I played the SE. I'd give it a 3 star.

marg6043
Clownfish
Clownfish
582 Posts

[Post New]by marg6043 on Jan 5, 12 2:55 PM
This game have very good graphics nice scenery and a fine story line.

auds7466
Clownfish
Clownfish
652 Posts

[Post New]by auds7466 on Feb 13, 12 12:36 PM
what a wonderful game well done bfg. the graphics were colourful, there was lots of twists ant turns. music was good too.

jillaroogirl
Minnow
Minnow
299 Posts

[Post New]by jillaroogirl on Apr 21, 12 5:46 AM
This game started off with much promise. Lovely music, beautiful graphics, good voiceover and lovely British accent. As the game progressed, the voices became silly and annoying. The way the woman spoke was irritating and she spoke old school. I think it's a shame as it had great potential...just not for me. A no buy.

xmaseve24
Seahorse
Seahorse
20 Posts

[Post New]by xmaseve24 on May 29, 12 11:08 AM
BUYER'S REGRET! Beautiful graphics, the voices didn't bother me but...I found the game tedious and boring. Pretty much the same challenges over and over and over...well, you get the idea.

I especially dislike puzzles that have no logic, you just have to try different combinations (the "card" puzzles for instance.)

I've been a member for a year and a half now, and think I'm getting jaded. The games all seem to have the same puzzles, similar story lines, and far too many hidden object scenes. There MUST BE something new and different out there????

I couldn't finish it. Too bad.

blueskies01
Guppy
Guppy
161 Posts

[Post New]by blueskies01 on May 30, 12 6:52 PM
Beautiful artwork for the HOG scenes, which is the biggest plus here, along with the mute button. Way too much time trekking over hill and dale; if ever a game needed a map, this is it. Choppy story line (Miss Thorne?!); ending abrupt & too peculiar (inexplicable). But the devs put a lot of effort into it, and it shows. Plenty long enough.
I bought the DD, & will probably just skip the very end the next time I play it.

[Post New]by FishingCat on Jun 17, 12 7:40 PM
I rarely post, but decided that after a year of being a member here, it was time to start posting reviews!

I purchased this game when it was the DD and liked it. I thought the voice acting, sounds and music were very nice. The graphics were pretty and objects weren't too difficult to find. I found the card puzzles to be very different and interesting, although I can understand if people find them frustrating. I do agree with other people that this game really needed a map as I often got lost trying to figure out how to get back to areas I needed to complete a task. This game seemed long enough to me, especially since I tend to go through H0Gs pretty quickly.

Although the game seems like it's a dark story, it actually has a lovely ending and isn't very scary. I recommend this game to those who like H0Gs and IH0Gs. If you are bothered by spell casting, supernatural or "witch-like" elements, you will want to either avoid this game or try the demo first.

Enjoy!

[Post New]by lovetoplaytoo on Jul 11, 12 10:02 PM
Just finished the game - really is so much fun, and for the price asked worth every dollar.Its different in that you really at times are left - do I go left,right, straight ahead, very well thought out, keeps you on your toes, really has to be one of the best for a time, and the graphics are so good - liked the story line too - go on! go ahead and have some real fun - and good luck

bachlein
Guppy
Guppy
151 Posts

[Post New]by bachlein on Jul 15, 12 9:40 AM
I liked this game. Yes, the story is stupid, but I don't invest much in the stories anyway...it's the puzzles, et al that I'm interested in. The HOGs were good, I thought. Some of the stuff was hard to find, but readily "findable" with some in-depth searching. (I prefer THAT to being able to find everything right off the bat.) Some of the puzzles were dead easy, but others took some thought...and trial and error. I bought this as the "weekly deal" and was well satisfied. I played on the "expert" only because I didn't want a tutorial...or sparkles (which appear anyway to show the HOGs.) I suppose the voices weren't the best, but they weren't talking all the time...and I just turned down the music to (nearly) off. All in all, it was a good game. ..one for the grandkids when they come over!!

kelsie2
Guppy
Guppy
171 Posts

[Post New]by kelsie2 on Jul 17, 12 12:59 PM
yes for a deal price well worth the money, voiceovers did not bother me, music great, hogs not easy to find some items, I am about midway through and so far have enjoyed mini games .All in all I like this game I have just finished Return to Ravenhearst which was great but heavy going and this is light relief !!!
A map would be useful !!!
Checked out the developers and wow they are UK based ( I thought those accents were real !) Great to get a good game out of the UK Well done Guys going to see what else you have to offer ....

LadyJane50
Guppy
Guppy
183 Posts

[Post New]by LadyJane50 on Jul 29, 12 8:38 PM
I really enjoyed this game!

The graphics were absolutely beautiful - many, many little details like apple blossoms falling from the trees, baskets/dried flowers in the kitchen, etc.

I do have to admit that the voices of the stones were a little odd, but that's my only negative with the game.

One of the best things about this game is that it gave me a great ending. Most of the games I've played have an ending so short that it's a let down. Not so with this one!

Go to: