Itsupikachu
Flounder
Flounder
2,158 Posts

Re:Your Comments and Reviews for Mystery Novel

[Post New]by Itsupikachu on Apr 12, 11 1:37 PM
puppycake wrote:Even this latest game Mystery Novel looked innocent enough but oh no nooooooooo, has to be about demons and the supernatural.
Can we pleaseeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee have one HOG every 2 weeks even that is NOT do to with the occult, evil, dark, demons, ect!!!! I am so sick of this. The world is evil enough place, would be nice to sit and relax at night with something not so dark. I know 2 weeks ago the top 15 HOG games were ALL evil and to do with the occult, EVERYONE of them. And for you guys that love them that is fine, but I do not think they ALL have to be that way! I'm not asking for much, you guys like your dark games and you get them, you can say if I don't like those ones do not play them. Well that means I wouldn't get to play any! I have never seen it this bad. No I do not want Marry Poppins and am not a prude, I love mysteries and thrillers. Why can't the developers put out a decent thiller or mystery without the occult? You can still make good quaility games an leave that stuff out. If that is the only type of game that sells, what can I say. Just when I though the world couldn't be in anymore of a mess. This is just such a small part of why it is. People thriving on witchcraft and the occult, how sad. Oh I am quite aware I am the minority although I get tons of PM's people agreeing with me and others publically saying the games are terribly evil lately. But still I know we are the monority. Please don't jump all over me, I just would like to go back and be able to play a couple of games a month HOG's! And when they finally do come out with one like "Love Letters 2", it seems the quality is not near as good. This would be one reason people like the evil better, they are better quality games. And as far as CE's HOG's, forget it, they don't come much more occult than those. Aghhhhhh I am just so frustrated! Sorry for the rant

I agree with you, puppycake-my feelings, exactly! Big Fish?

Corie60
Herring
Herring
379 Posts

[Post New]by Corie60 on Apr 12, 11 2:42 PM
I finished this game today and what a pleasant surprise. With many negative reviews I was unsure about using a punch card coupon on the game, but I bit the bullet and went for it. No walkthrough had me a bit apprehensive, but no need to worry. It boosted my confidence knowing I could play the game without any help. Sometimes when there is a walkthrough there is a tendency to use it to much instead of taking a leap of faith.
This game was fun and what I found to be a somewhat interesting, but not too detailed a plot. It was relaxing, not to difficult, but not a walk in the park either.
I have had a bacterial infection in my eyes for a few days and the graphics were good enough that I was able to see everything relatively well. Music was unobtrusive and it had a nice mix of mini-games and HOGS.
It was not Dire Grove or Shiver, but it was better than a lot of games I have purchased in the past that had many good reviews. If you are looking for a real test of your game playing skills, this may not be for you, but if you wish to spend a few hours enjoying a game in a relaxing manner, this might just be up your alley.
The longer I played the game the more I trusted that it would entertain me.
I recommend that if you are on the fence that you at least give the demo a go.
Thanks BF and thank you to the developer, now I can tackle Gravely Silent: House of Deadlock.

ember89
Flounder
Flounder
2,103 Posts

[Post New]by ember89 on Apr 12, 11 6:15 PM
well, at least gfi/far mills is showing great improvement!

this particular game is not for me, as i derived no joy from it during the 20 minutes i played, but i was impressed at the growth this developer has shown...

the hidden object lists are more thoroughly proofed, but the objects themselves are still a bit grainy and small in some areas... the appearance of cigarettes and alcohol has greatly diminished but our man is still hurting for fashion advice

didn't really play to see how the story developed... went through several locations and completed puzzles and hidden object scenes, but never felt like i was adding anything to that murder board in the office...

as far as i can tell this game has nothing to do with a novel, but a city paper and its crime reporter... and yes, it's all one big mystery! here's to letting it stay that way!

mcurty
Dolphin
Dolphin
6,991 Posts

[Post New]by mcurty on Apr 12, 11 7:03 PM
A crowbar may be called a jimmy bar also. It got that name from a fictional burglar who used the tool for burglary. Since I used the tool to "jimmy" open the cabinet, I thought that description was appropriate.

Wikipedia has more on defining the crowbar and different terms for it if anyone is interested. Maybe our vocabularies need to be stretched. Not everyone who plays these games is a native USA English speaker.

yourshannygirl
Dolphin
Dolphin
7,367 Posts

[Post New]by yourshannygirl on Apr 12, 11 7:08 PM
I managed to finish the game even after it crashed and lost my progress. The odd thing was that it lost my username and when I went right back in after the crash and put my username back into it then it started me from the beginning. I tried something funky and I rebooted my computer even though there was nothing wrong with my computer. I went back into the game after that and again it lost my username! Sooo, I put my username back in and the oddest thing was that it started the game right back from where it was when it crashed! Go figure!

Anyway, so I just finished playing from there and enjoyed the game...beat some demon and won over darkness! What a good feeling! Ha ha! It's not as fabulous of a game as MCF games or HE games by any means but it is a nice IHOG no doubt! I did not find it boring, but found it intriguing.

To everyone, regardless of your taste or gaming genre preferences...Happy Gaming!

yourshannygirl
Dolphin
Dolphin
7,367 Posts

[Post New]by yourshannygirl on Apr 12, 11 7:13 PM
Oh, and to whoever went and posted about the definition of besom = broom made of twigs... thank you! It's always good to increase one's vocabulary and I do enjoy learning new words. Although, there are those times where the game developers get the words wrong altogether like the time there was that game they used the word "tube" for the image of the "smoking pipe"! LOL! Does anybody remember that game? There's so many of those and I ain't gonna lie...it's annoying! Get a proofreader...something!

alicemac41
Seahorse
Seahorse
21 Posts

[Post New]by alicemac41 on Apr 12, 11 7:28 PM
Just off to play the trial now. I laughed at people's comments about some of the words for items not being "American". I'm from New Zealand originally and sometimes I have absolutely no idea what item I am supposed to be looking for.

zazu2008
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
15 Posts

[Post New]by zazu2008 on Apr 12, 11 10:36 PM
I love HOGs and FROGs and I don't mind sparkles, but I really didn't care for this game. It seemed really slow and I would click on the sparkly areas and nothing would happen, not even a comment. I didn't find the story that interesting. A no buy for me.

lilTweet7
Herring
Herring
333 Posts

[Post New]by lilTweet7 on Apr 13, 11 9:07 AM
Itsupikachu -- I actually agree with you. I have enjoyed playing some of the darker ones, even if I did not approve of the overall theme, because the game was still good. Seems as of late though, many have the same dark theme. A little change once in awhile to something more upbeat, while still preserving quality would be great. Too much of the same ole, same ole, can become old and suffocating. Personally, I would love to see games without so many twitching rats in them as well! :-) (just my little pet peeve).

In any case, I doubt many developers come to forum sites like these, and read the comments. They usually have to be written directly. BF is just the delivery man.

They also go with supply and demand. If people are buying a product, they will continue selling it. They just simply over do it sometimes, with putting out the same stuff over and over again, with only a slight edge difference between each.

Edited on 04/13/2011 at 9:54:10 AM PST

Becca_jxxx
Guppy
Guppy
169 Posts

[Post New]by Becca_jxxx on Apr 13, 11 11:09 AM
poggyapoo wrote:Played the demo and sort of enjoyed it! Could have done without the sparkles though as I really enjoy finding things for myself! There are some strange names for items to collect though......I mean what would you expect a "forage cap" to be?? Not sure about using a game credit on this though.

Ditto! It would have been nice to have the casual/advanced mode option, I prefer to play in advanced mode as it makes the game more challenging and gameplay lasts for longer.

I think I will wait until the end of the month and definitely buy it if I need another punch on my punchcard.

sno13wy
Lobster
Lobster
95 Posts

[Post New]by sno13wy on Apr 13, 11 1:37 PM
I Loved this game...thanks ....A very different HOG and it did last a long
time...I spread it out over three days and when I couldn't find where
to go next, lo and behold, a fresh eye worked.

Because I had purchased two CE's I had coupon for this and that
made it doubly enjoyable...

bsbagwell
Starfish
Starfish
44 Posts

[Post New]by bsbagwell on Apr 13, 11 2:08 PM
Not buying until I know how long it is. I want my money's worth. Don't like to have to scroll through pages and pages of blogs to find out so until I know that, no buy! Offer that on every game if you want a buyer to purchase! How many times have we all have to say this? Been a member for years and you still don't get it! going to play another demo and see if I can find something else to spend my time on!

Valdy
Marlin
Marlin
9,383 Posts

[Post New]by Valdy on Apr 13, 11 2:43 PM
This is an intriguing game, and I really like it. It`s an IHOG and apart from the sluggish cursor, which I can´t change to the system cursor, I saw nothing wrong with the game while I played the 1-hour demo.

In fact, I was so engrossed in the story and in the search for objects and thinking of all the things I will still have to do at previous places, that I got a bit of a surprise when the hour was up and the game stopped. Usually, I stop playing a few minutes before time is up.

I enjoyed the graphics, and the gameplay, and the puzzles. Yes, there were a few confusing-sounding object names that didn´t quite match, but I have played games with worse.

I will be buying this game.

ETA: Regarding the sparkles... they were not at all intrusive. There were a few sparkles when there was an area worth looking at and more sparkles when there was a H0 scene, but the sparkles on the whole were not half as bad as I have seen in other games.

Edited on 04/13/2011 at 2:46:16 PM PST

qpr1
Clownfish
Clownfish
733 Posts

[Post New]by qpr1 on Apr 13, 11 7:08 PM
angelfish106 wrote:[quote=sunnyglows
By the way, what is the big whoopla about electric chairs. Geesh! Many states still use them. Get over it! There are alot worse graphics than this.

Then 'many states' should be ashamed of themselves for continuing to use what is the most barbaric form of execution since being hung, drawn and quartered. I thought this ghastly method had been banned. In this day and age, there's no place for it.

try telling that to the families of the victims!!!!!!!

[Post New]by bettyboop19431 on Apr 14, 11 2:56 PM
i have all 5 idols but want to know how to end game someone please help

[Post New]by JunkyFish on Apr 15, 11 2:43 AM
I like dark and gloomy atmosphere of this game. Especially I'm very impressed with its plot. Here we have a really non standard story. I don't understand those fishes who are indignant at the fact of the electric chair and burning the rat in the prison. Guys, it's just a game and nothing else, just a result of devs' imagination. In my opinion it's better to think easier of it.

**** scenes are nice detailed, it's not so difficult to find objects on the screen. Mystery Novel has a standard set on mini games, but they are quite various. As for the "sparkles", they were really useful for me in some moments of the game. I don't like spend a lot of time on the game, so it's another plus of the sparkles.
Suming up I enjoyed playing Mystery Novel, big thanx to its devs, great job!

[Post New]by tar_dot on Apr 15, 11 4:59 AM
I'm satisfied with GFI's job, we have good quality HOG here with interesting storyline and excellent detailed game scenes. If you like unusual and mystic stories so this game will suit you for sure. And I don't mind about some vocab mistakes, they don't really bring any complications in.

[Post New]by acecyberwitch on Apr 15, 11 10:28 AM
very slow game to easy wish you could turn sparkles of there is nothing to keep you playing

Susanlb10
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
13 Posts

[Post New]by Susanlb10 on Apr 16, 11 9:35 AM
I really gave this a good long try, but it is just a poorly designed, badly conceived game with nothing clever or interesting. In fact, deadly dull, in my opinion. I'm sorry to see BFG not able to come with new games of great quality. They are rerunning old games, passing them off as new, and coming up with second-class games like this one. Surely there is a lot of money to be made and my guess is that the developers aren't the ones making the money, so come one, BFG, try harder.

Valdy
Marlin
Marlin
9,383 Posts

[Post New]by Valdy on Apr 16, 11 4:04 PM
I finished the game now, and am really glad I bought it.

Yes, some words aren´t quite what the objects are, and some words are misspelled, and the cursor was a little sluggish (for me), but otherwise, this was a very good game. It was intriguing and you had to think a little to see what to do next.

I also liked the H0 scenes - had no trouble finding most of the objects, even though some H0 scenes were a little cluttered.

All in all well done. I would have preferred to be able to choose whether I want to use a custom or system cursor - I always use the system cursor - but maybe next time, eh?

Go to: