Masanders
Guppy
Guppy
124 Posts

Re:Your Comments and Reviews for Silent Scream: The Dancer

[Post New]by Masanders on Apr 25, 11 8:46 PM
innej wrote:I must be the only one who keeps hearing "Sick Boy" when you find an object . . . . . .

"Sick Boy" is stuck in my head now!
That's what I thought the voice was saying, too. "Sic boy; sic boy." Then I clicked on an item in one of the hidden object scenes and the voice (in a different tone) said "Sic Mickey D's". I could not figure out why the phrases were different. I didn't ever hear the voice saying anything like "Trouve" (French for "found" apparently -- I don't speak French so you could fool me on that one).

Now, for the game itself -- I was feeling rather annoyed while playing it for the reasons already mentioned:
too much backtracking to get an item you knew you would need later but weren't allowed to pick up when you were close to it;
the little kid crying in the daycare place;
plus:
the difficulty in seeing where you could possibly go in a scene (and once you did see a path you could take, the cursor had to be just so to get you there).

I liked the mother's voice, although she WAS way too calm in looking for her kidnapped child.

The mini-games were challenging, especially the button-sewing one, which I eventually skipped in the interests of time. Some of the games made no sense and I accidentally solved one while trying to achieve something completely different. It was the two interlocking rings with the numbers from 0 to 9 on them and I was trying to put the numbers in numerical order when WHOA!!! the rings lit up and the puzzle was solved, with the numbers NOT in numerical order. Apparently my objective was something else entirely. Well, whatever.

I played the full hour and after it was over, I found myself wanting to play it again on the Advanced setting, but probably finding it as a DD will prompt me to rethink whether I want to buy it at the lower price. I don't think I will pay the full price for it right now. I seem to have way too many games that I still need to finish, or even start for that matter.

I would probably give it a 6 on a scale from 1 to 10.

xidcrikit
Starfish
Starfish
54 Posts

[Post New]by xidcrikit on Apr 25, 11 9:30 PM
Picasso type graphics were definitely a no go. Like everyone else didn't like going back and forth. And all the other things people mentioned. No buy.

Masanders loved the sic Mickey D's. What a hoot!!!!

[Post New]by Tiffanip1202 on Apr 25, 11 9:36 PM
MODERATOR PLEASE HELP!!!

I meant to quote a person named cherbtoo, who made a hilarious comment re: the mob bosses name. It is on page 1 of the comments. I accidently pushed the "report as offensive button", and I am horrified! I wasn't offended in the least, and meant to quote the very funny comment about the mob boss having such an un-intimidating name, please disregard my "marked as offensive" mistake, and cherbtoo, please forgive my fingers for working faster than my brain, your comment was hilarious, and I was rofpimp after reading it. So sorry!!! ~Tiffani

BTW, I think this is a very strange game, I am somewhat repulsed, and yet somehow drawn in at the same time. I'm trying 1 more demo to see which one I will spend my credit on. The demo was kind of slow, as I have seen some others mention. It only picked up speed and became interesting, and got a little spooky (anyone else notice crepy characters popping up on screen once in a while, or running by a doorway?) as I came to the end of the trial.

kristidumplin
Manatee
Manatee
3,656 Posts

[Post New]by kristidumplin on Apr 25, 11 9:38 PM
I am really enjoying this game. I love the graphics - the "cartoony" drawings of the characters is quite well done, and the voice-overs are good. The music is unobtrusive and, as for the whisper that some don't care for, that you hear when you find something, I only noticed it long enough to think it said something like "Pink Floyd"..lol.I just didn't pay any attention to it. The story is mysterious and a bit creepy here and there and I think that's lots of fun. The hint system is adequate and, for someone like me, I really appreciate it when I don't have a clue what to do. I'm obviously playing on the casual setting, as I'm not an accomplished gamer like so many in here are, but it's perfect for me. The hint button will show me where to go and a hint about what to do when I get there. Some would consider it way too much hand-holding, but I really like it. I don't spend ages wandering about into each and every place I've been previously - I click on the hint button when I'm stuck and the game goes on. The hidden object scenes are drawn very well, with just about everything being easy to see, but not necessarily easy to find. The scenes are crisp and not a bit murky. The puzzles are skippable with a brief wait, but aren't too tough for me, or too easy. Again, more experienced players may think stuff is too easy, but it's a fit for me. On a 1 to 10 scale, it's an 8 for me.

BearKat
Stingray
Stingray
4,860 Posts

[Post New]by BearKat on Apr 25, 11 11:55 PM
I did not like anything about this game. It was DREARY, DEPRESSING, and BLEAK to me. I play for fun, this game was not fun to me! Sorry and Devs but this is a NO BUY for me! As always this is just my opinion and everyone must play and decide for themselves. Happy Gaming Fishies

[Post New]by ShimShalabim on Apr 26, 11 1:49 AM
Probably the most annoying game I've ever played.

Valdy
Marlin
Marlin
9,383 Posts

[Post New]by Valdy on Apr 26, 11 4:43 AM
Masanders wrote:
innej wrote:I must be the only one who keeps hearing "Sick Boy" when you find an object . . . . . .

"Sick Boy" is stuck in my head now!
That's what I thought the voice was saying, too. "Sic boy; sic boy." Then I clicked on an item in one of the hidden object scenes and the voice (in a different tone) said "Sic Mickey D's".

I thought it says: thank you. But wasn´t entirely sure. Annoying either way.

Liked the graphics, but it was a repetitive somewhat boring game.
Also, it stuttered quite a bit and I couldn´t use the system cursor because certain items didn´t pick up on the system cursor, and the system cursor disappeared at some point and came back later on.

Didn`t care for the repetitive and tiring background noises, and was glad when I was finished with the attic where the screams and voices never ended.

I also got wrong messages: When I hovered over the fountain outside the police station, it said something like: There is no one around.
And when I hovered over the "Police" sign at the station itself, it said something like: The fountain is empty. Got that one the wrong way round.

All in all, could have been a lovely game, but this game needs overhauling. I won`t buy it as it is now.

darksprires
Squid
Squid
77 Posts

[Post New]by darksprires on Apr 26, 11 8:00 AM
I lasted all of five minutes in the demo. Not for me. I can't stand the stupid whispering every single time a hidden object is picked up in those scenes.

Further to this the premise of the story is flawed. No one is born with asthma, the condition is triggered by an allergy, which won't happen with a newborn. Second, asthma medication is not that expensive.

I didn't like the cartoon characters, almost resembling Betty Boop. Really nothing much in the game's favor as far as I am concerned. Sad about this as it looked good from the cover.

divaprods
Minnow
Minnow
285 Posts

[Post New]by divaprods on Apr 26, 11 8:01 AM
LULU5635 wrote:I just played the demo of Silent Scream:The Dancer and could not wait for the hour to be over! I won't be buying this one. The graphics were kind of "ghetto Anime". The storyline was lame. Hit me in the head with a pipe ....hello 911! And why couldn't she wake up the sitter and say "LADY,WHERE'S MY KID???"

LOL I was thinking the same thing, why was she afraid to wake up the sitter even fantasy game need a little reality........please BFG we're not all 12 years old out here, it might be interesting to do a survey of fishies and see what our average age is.

mtgirl
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,151 Posts

[Post New]by mtgirl on Apr 26, 11 8:07 AM
This is a pass for me,as the whispering drove me crazy and i don't like to play without sound.
Some of your reviews are hysterical-it was worth it to try the game, and then come here to read them.

Teb18
Seahorse
Seahorse
23 Posts

[Post New]by Teb18 on Apr 26, 11 8:56 AM
Played the demo for 7 minutes and hated it! Uninstalled it as fast as I could. I spent more time skipping through scenes and dialog then actually playing the game.

SMQMC
Guppy
Guppy
129 Posts

[Post New]by SMQMC on Apr 26, 11 9:26 AM
Old_Man_River wrote:
SMQMC wrote:Doesn't seem as if a whole lot of people like this game. That being said, I'm going to give it a shot. I like dark. I like dreary. I like scary. I like stars and hand holding. I like to play slowly. I like most types of graphics. I don't mind short games, I don't mind long games. I even like STDs, puzzles and connect the wires/pipes. I'm fairly easy to please when it comes to games since that's what they are.......games. I will generally buy DDs or G of the W or Sale ones since I'm retired, getting poorer by the day, getting older, it's getting harder to see and definitely getting harder to figure out puzzles, although I do pretty well on those most of the time. Guess when you get older, you either get pickier or laid-back in your likes and dislikes. Me, I'm the latter. Hope all of you find games you like soon so we can all be pleased.

I'm in the same boat as you. Retired and getting poorer by he day. I must remember to send the Government a thank you note. (Heavy on the Sarcasm) This particular game is a mixed bag for me. I'm leaning to not purchase only because of not being able to pick items I know will be crucial to my well being.
Hang in there. Non Illigitimus Carborundum

Thanks Old_Man_River......Glad to know there are others like me out there. You can also sign my name in your note to the Government. So much appreciate your bottom note too. I'll try not to let them! Thanks......

safarinow
Guppy
Guppy
114 Posts

[Post New]by safarinow on Apr 26, 11 12:32 PM
Well, this is one game that I will not be buying. I, like a lot of others, did not like many parts of this game.... the biggest gripe was not being able to pick up items that you knew would go into your inventory for use later on . I could write more, but I should probably just say ditto, ditto as most of the reviews were fairly negative and I agree. As for the whisper... early on when my sound was down I though it sounded like "no way". I then turned the sound on full and it came out sounding like "too-lay-lee". I heard it many times as I had hands and cockroaches to find at that point. Oh well, nuf said, on to the next one. safarinow

emwenz
Squid
Squid
70 Posts

[Post New]by emwenz on Apr 26, 11 2:53 PM
This is one of the most enjoyable games I have played on BF and there have been some very good ones lately. I loved the graphics, the adult theme to the story and the puzzles that were familiar with a bit of extra challenge. I appreciate the graphics in this story: lovely, creative and deliciously haunting. Great game and I have played over 200 from BF in the past 18months. I'll be looking for more from this developer.

puzzledone
Dolphin
Dolphin
7,182 Posts

[Post New]by puzzledone on Apr 26, 11 5:31 PM
kristidumplin pretty much summed it up for me above as well as a few others. Won't quote the whole post but

Again, more experienced players may think stuff is too easy, but it's a fit for me. On a 1 to 10 scale, it's an 8 for me.

Me too. And the main attraction for me are these original graphics. I guess I have a bent for the avant garde, and those who take the risks breaking away. I have a curious, inventive, creative mind and have to laugh at these comments about wanting to load down inventory with things we "may be able to use for something" or make something out of in future. OMG that's a habit I am TRYING to break before having to rent a storage unit I need to say no when someone offers me something free, or grabbing something out of the trash just in case...hmmm I think I could use this....hmmmm.

How many posts in stuck files or going crazy because of all these items in inventory we think we missed where to use them, or those not needed from Chapter 2 til the end. Remember the marble in Isabella, the extra snowshoe in DG, oh oh how many of us went back looking for a typewriter key? And I tend to forget what I got, think I missed one because I forget to use arrows on inventory and had it all along, just not showing.

Still have to remember where we saw an object (and it even showed you where) but what scene? More to and fro going back for it. So, the way I see it, same wandering back and a good challenge for short term memory like me.

I'm just having a battle with self not in the mood to resume any of the more difficult games I've bought. So, this is a refreshing change at least in style, like the HOGs very much, just have to get eyes attuned to the artist's own version of every day objects. Tim Burtonesque, wouldn't be surprised if he had a hand in this, influence to be sure, look at the EYES....
Sound is so soft and poor on my laptop I barely heard whispers finding things, most game have some annoying same clunk or sound or flash. If it says Mickey, well, I said earlier the bad guy probably gave her a Mickey, old speakeasy talk for date drug. Now I think she probably knew she couldn't wake her up til it wears off as she probably sees it at work often...I'll let up on her and go on like she did.

Based on whole demo only, will buy either before or after end of month, counting punches and 3 other games to choose from with 2 spots.

Game will probably have a cult following like Mishap Accidental did=anti trite.

[Post New]by mims05 on Apr 26, 11 7:09 PM
Played the demo 27 minutes and that was all I could take, thank you very much. The paper doll figures and constant switching back and forth for each item because you are not allowed to pick up but the item needed in each scene although you can "point" to other items or to things that have comments on them in each scene...just made me realize why it was named "The Silent Scream"! Definitely not a buy for me even if it was a 2.99 special. In fact, I don't even think if it was a freebie. Sorry BF, but this one really is a bummer in my estimation.

[Post New]by vanderploeg on Apr 26, 11 9:13 PM
I played for 30 minutes & then wanting to scream (?), I am deleting. Just not a game for me!

[Post New]by carolemoore1961 on Apr 26, 11 9:13 PM
Seems like I'm with the majority here. A no buy for me. Didn't like the graphics and also didn't like not being able to pick something up until they told me I could. The pliers for instance. Played 20 minutes of demo before it hung up on me and by that time I realized I wouldn't be buying so after posting this I will be deleting the game.

r31s3
Sea Anemone
Sea Anemone
6 Posts

[Post New]by r31s3 on Apr 26, 11 9:34 PM
finished the game, the story is great! very SURPRISING! it's the best story I ever read from the HOG game that i ever played. The stories is great even though the puzzle is solved at the end of the story why every place Jenny goes become creepy and dark. to bad that they put it all the answer at the end of the story, hope the Dev improve and fix it for their next game. Overall I love this game because it's not so hard to play and I'm quite enjoying while playing even with it's SURPRISE while playing.

Happy Gaming

bratzgram
Clownfish
Clownfish
634 Posts

[Post New]by bratzgram on Apr 27, 11 5:46 AM
I really did want to like this game. I don't care for the graphics but overlook that if the game is made well. I didn't like the hand coming up on the cursor just to be told I couldn't pick the item up. You know you will need that item at some point but you have to come all the way back from other areas to pick it up. Some items in the Hidden Object scenes were unidentifiable. Good thing the hints charge quickly because I had to use them several times just to figure out where I needed to go next. I don't like to wander aimlessly looking. For some reason the demo kept flashing back to the menu page and saying I needed to download flash. I just upgraded all of that stuff. All I had to do was click the page and I was back at the game but it was very irritating.
I wanted to quit playing within the first 15 min. but have played enough of these to know that it can always trick you and get much better. I did think the mini games were very different and the developers put a lot of thought into making it creepy. I read some reviews and they made me want to check out the rest so I was actually thinking I might use a credit next month to get it until I checked my progress in the walkthrough. I have finished just shy of half in the hour. That made my mind up. No buy for me

Go to: