sinshack
Flounder
Flounder
2,150 Posts

Re:Your Comments and Reviews for Alice's Adventures in Wonderland

[Post New]by sinshack on May 3, 11 7:00 PM
purple7120 wrote:can someone give me the acronyms for the games, I get confused pretty easy by all of them thanks

I answered your first post on this question several hours ago - check back a couple of pages and read the replies.

Edited on 05/03/2011 at 7:11:26 PM PST

mspaws
Guppy
Guppy
126 Posts

[Post New]by mspaws on May 3, 11 7:00 PM
I tried this game out this morning after reading all the horrible reviews...I liked it! I must have super eyes because I did not find the items difficult to find. this is a wonderful game to come home to after a long day at the office and play. I was very relaxed while playing! Its a buy for me!

Paws

bratzgram
Clownfish
Clownfish
634 Posts

[Post New]by bratzgram on May 3, 11 7:42 PM
Do they warn us that a game is from Hd0? Wish they would. I have tried several and didn't like one. I never know that they are Hd0 until I have downloaded and always play a bit just to see if it is any better than the last. Never is!
The hidden object scenes are always teeny tiny little object that you can't see even with the magnifier or they are so simple it wastes your time. The mini games are always the same. What's with all the different buttons for them? Ever heard of right click? Your goal object is always glowing so there is no thought into that.
I just don't get it I guess. Does anybody actually buy these?

I stayed up late just to try this. Now I am tired, disappointed and grumpy. 5:30 comes quick.

bluecat434
Clownfish
Clownfish
858 Posts

[Post New]by bluecat434 on May 3, 11 8:02 PM
*hands on hips* Is this it, Felix? Is this how it's going to be? Dazzle us during the holidays and then just abandon us to HdO's the rest of the year?

I should have known better. *sniff* Never trust a man with fins.

pungstress
Minnow
Minnow
203 Posts

[Post New]by pungstress on May 3, 11 8:41 PM
I was excited to see this game this morning because I thought that the storyline would lend itself well to a HOG.
Downloaded it.
Opened it up.
Saw the HdO logo.
Closed it.
Deleted it.
Better luck tomorrow everyone!

[Post New]by rosie28sammy on May 3, 11 9:04 PM
I really wanted to like this game because I love all things Alice, but goodness gracious this game is horrible! I thought it might not be for me when it first opens up and the gorgeous pop-up book pictures revolved all around. Definitely making one who would be prone to motion sickness want to barf. I decided to give it more of a chance after getting through to the actual game.

Since I am a daring soul and having played HOGs for a number of years now, I thought I would go for the timed game. Huge mistake. The amount of time given is so short, only someone very familiar with the scene could complete it in time. The items are somewhat difficult to find, but it is the short timer that is the problem. After playing the same scene over again three times, I went back and tried the untimed mode.

I'm not sure whether the developers where trying to make the game nonsensical like the book, but whatever the idea here was, it didn't work. I love puzzles so I thought I would love the minigames. Wrong again. Not only do you have to arrange the pieces, but you have to rotate each piece to get it to work. Sounds okay until you realize the pieces all rotate together! You could never get it right. Having to wait two minutes for the skip button was just plain wrong. The directions for the other minigame were mixed up with the directions for the puzzle minigame so I had no idea what to do.

I am simply amazed that a game this bad would be offered for sale. It had so much potential, but fell flat. I made it to 45 minutes of the hour demo, but no more.

Edited on 05/03/2011 at 9:05:49 PM PST

azjmarie
Squid
Squid
70 Posts

[Post New]by azjmarie on May 3, 11 9:05 PM
This is exactly why I always check the forum for reviews before purchasing a game.
Thanks everyone, you saved me time and money

[Post New]by Kimmeh86 on May 3, 11 9:33 PM
I haven't had the privledge to play an HDO game. Thankfully, I usually check reviews and if they are bad I don't even bother... but I guess I'm a glutten for punishment, after all these bad reviews I had to demo the game just to see how bad it was. And wow... Can I get those 5 minutes back??

Horrible, the first scene went on forever and not in a good way, infact I couldn't even finish it. Somewhere after trying to find every color butterfly on the planet I gave up... Sheesh. The visuals were horrible, you couldn't see anything, it was boring. Just so many things wrong...

Jinnare
Guppy
Guppy
178 Posts

[Post New]by Jinnare on May 3, 11 9:49 PM
I'm not an Alice fan. The story terrified me when I was first introduced to it as a child, and that feeling has carried over into adulthood somewhat. I tried the game, though, and found it enjoyable. The graphics were clear and things were easy to find. If I couldn't find something, the clues were always handy. Since you can't have more than six at a time, the temptation was always there to use them, cause the little stars refill them.

I played the relaxed mode, 'cause that's what I do. I don't like timed games. The 3D aspect doesn't bother me like it does some of our fishies. I found it entertaining, actually. If I recall correctly, A Girl in the City was also an HdO game, and I had a lot of fun with that one, too. I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong about that.

I always download the demo and play it, then come here and read the forum. I want to form my own opinion before reading others'. It surprises me how many fishies won't even try a demo if several others give it a negative review. I figure, what the heck, it's an hour of free game play. If it's too terrible, I'll just stop playing and delete it, but I at least check it out. I've found an occasional gem that's just right for me when most others don't care for it. You never know unless you try.

Kebbielebbie
Guppy
Guppy
178 Posts

[Post New]by Kebbielebbie on May 4, 11 12:05 AM
Oh HdO...why, oh why...

While I appriciate that there was more work done here...with creative ****'s areas...The puzzles were not only easy but repetative...The story was boring and the graphics were literally copied from the classic book.

I would rather get a root canal than finish this demo

ember89
Flounder
Flounder
2,103 Posts

[Post New]by ember89 on May 4, 11 12:53 AM
i just want to thank all of you good fishies who gave this game the good ol' college try i'm so happy that some of you were willing to take a little more of a dip than the tip of a fin

if i hadn't been exposed to this game style so often in the past, it would probably have been a buy for me - as some of you have done - but right now, it's in my box to play with my niece after purchasing it on sale/DD

i have to say that i think the core reason behind some of us liking this offering from HdO is ALICE herself... the story is one we know and love; that makes the game light and fun and a key to opening a door to younger days... and who doesn't want to be younger??

for those of you who tried to stick it out and still found no enjoyment, i'm sorry - and hope you find something else wonderful to play in upcoming day[s]...

and for those of you who dismissed this one due to the very negative comments [even my initial post], think again... or should i say think for yourself - just because the odds are 20:1 you will NOT like this game... haven't you ever gone for the long shot? besides, it's free to try...

to all the fishies of the pond - thank you for coming here and telling us how you feel and happy adventures, everyone

GEmory
Seahorse
Seahorse
35 Posts

[Post New]by GEmory on May 4, 11 12:54 AM
If I go by this thread, I'm in the minority. I liked it. Although I do enjoy the more elaborate adventure games, I also like the occasional simple game that helps me relax. I have, so far, purchased three HdO games. If I hadn't tried them for myself and just went by the review threads, I wouldn't have bought any of them.

In regard to why Big Fish keeps offering these games despite the threads and "not listening to their customers," maybe they're still making a profit off these games. Not everyone goes to the threads and even if they do, it can be hard to speak up in favor of a game when it seems to be so universally hated. It certainly took me a while to do so.

Anyway, not everyone likes the same games so I've learned to try for myself and then make my own decision. I usually agree with the majority, but sometimes I find a "bad" game that I enjoy.

luvmigame
Minnow
Minnow
251 Posts

[Post New]by luvmigame on May 4, 11 4:32 AM
I have a technical issue with this game, but I decided to stop here first. Thanks for saving me the time and effort of bothering to post my problem. Heading for the delete button now.

[Post New]by secretagentmom on May 4, 11 6:58 AM
THANK YOU ALL! ! ! ! Now I will NOT make the mistake I made with the Wizard of Oz! I am glad I checked out the comments on this one first! Thanx again fellow fishies!

[Post New]by hanjonsmom on May 4, 11 7:39 AM
I have a great thought. Why don't you post the most recent reviews first? That way, fishies can see what people who actually played the game think, before the judgers.

As far as my review for this game... I also am not a fan of HdO games, but this one was quite fun. I gave it more than a 10 minute chance and thought the story line was really good. I love Alice and I think they did a good job at sticking with the original. There are a couple issues i hope HdO will address... as so far as the puzzles are concerned... i would love if you could swap between move and rotate by a mouse click instead of having to click on each button. But, aside from that, it's a good game.

Poutoule
Archerfish
Archerfish
41,630 Posts

[Post New]by Poutoule on May 4, 11 9:25 AM
goofyduck77 wrote:(cont) was spot on, and using pictures from the novel a plus. However, maneuvering the mini-puzzles is a pain, small items made it hard to find things, even with the zoom sometimes. So there is good and bad about every game, and this is a HOG, and I again remind people, it is a HOG, not an iHOG or Adventure game, and I always get a little confused when I read a dozen reviews that dis the game entirely for no other reason than because it is a straight hog rather than something more IMHO.

as usual ! Good graphics, too easy mini games, sometimes tiny items, didn't turn the sound on, not my

[Post New]by Sunshine824 on May 4, 11 11:49 AM
Thanks for the reviews, you saved me time from bothering with this game.

megwoman25
Clownfish
Clownfish
742 Posts

[Post New]by megwoman25 on May 4, 11 2:07 PM
I can't believe I am going to say this but I actually like this game. Is it the best game i've ever played? No. But its definitely not the worst game I've ever played either. I like alice in wonderland though and this game reminds me of being a kid. I know some people said the graphics are bad but Im on a laptop n have a mac n its just fine. Some items are small but there is a zoom option. There are also stars you can find to get you extra hints and mini games that help you get more hints so you really aren't that limited. The mini games get boring after a couple rounds though because its just putting together a puzzle but its a puzzle of original scenes from alice in wonderland so its not completely boring. Would I buy this game? Probably not because it seems short & like i said, its too repetitive with the tasks you do but it seems like HdO is moving in the right direction & I liked the hour demo just not enough to actually buy. Its quite better than the rest of their games I have tried and I even like it better than some of the games I've bought in the last month. At least its bright n colorful. I know HdO games aren't everyones cup of tea but IF you like alice in wonderland, Id definitely at least give it a try. Keep an open mind, you might be surprised.

megwoman25
Clownfish
Clownfish
742 Posts

[Post New]by megwoman25 on May 4, 11 2:17 PM
NanaLoona wrote:I'm sorry so many of you didn't enjoy this game. If you are a fan of Alice, you really need to at least try it. They have many of the original illustrations from the book. From the part of the demo I completed, it looked like it follows the story pretty well.

I can see why the screen movements made some people queasy, but I have to say the movement didn't bother me. There were some small objects, but overall I didn't have any problems finding what the list asked for. And my eyes are not young by any stretch of the imagination.

I won't buy it today, but I will probably buy it before the end of the month.

Again, if you are a fan of the story, at least give it a shot. You might find you enjoy yourself. After all, we can't all like the same games.

Nana Loona

I just wanted to say thank you. I've played a lot of HdO games on other sites (sorry bfg! your the only site i ever buy from though!!! ) n never liked any of them and I was going to write this one off too because of the horrible reviews but also because of the company BUT i read your review & I thought you know what? I don't always agree with the comments in here. Sometimes I think a game is just dreadful but everyone else seems to love it so I d/led it and even though I won't be buying it anytime soon, I liked the hour I played. So thank you because sometimes I get so wrapped up with what other people think about a game that I forget that when it comes to opinions about games, MINE is the only one that matters because Im the one buying it LOL

Meldandy
Starfish
Starfish
41 Posts

[Post New]by Meldandy on May 4, 11 2:27 PM
I play a lot of HOG's with my wiggly daughter in my lap. She likes the stories, if I don't get bogged down in the puzzles too long. She was excited about "Alice. . " though I was dubious. She lasted about 5 minutes before she ran off for more interesting fun, and I was looking for the exit button and some Tylenol around minute #7. Ugh, the pictures are just too darn grainy and the objects too small and blurry. There are plenty of random clicking HOG's; this might be the worst I've encountered lately. Even that strange little fairytale about the mice that HdO put out last month was easier on the eyes. I wouldn't care if it followed the book to the letter, it's just not worth the migraine. I can read the book or watch any of the films with far less trouble and more enjoyment.

Pass!

Edited on 05/04/2011 at 2:31:55 PM PST

Go to: