Ismene
Flounder
Flounder
2,095 Posts

Re:Your Comments and Reviews for Midnight Mysteries: Devil on the Mississippi Collector's

[Post New]by Ismene on May 28, 11 8:20 AM
I finished the game (plus bonus, but not Dem Bones) last night, and I'm happy with my credit usage.

The screens are dark, but I normally play HOGs with the overhead light off anyway. The music and graphics are both good.

Having read Marlowe in college (my copy of Doctor Faustus is still on the shelf next to Goethe's version), the plotline leaves something to be desired -- I just can't buy into the "Marlowe wrote Shakespeare" idea. But it's not enough to interfere with my enjoyment of the game. I could deal with the supernatural elements in the "Hound of the Baskervilles" game despite the canon breach, I can deal with this. Besides, it's not exactly a secret that there are people who question the authorship of those plays.

(OT, but I recommend "The Reckoning: The Murder of Christopher Marlowe" by Charles Nicholl.)

jjj13
Squid
Squid
68 Posts

Re:Your Comments and Reviews for Midnight Mysteries: Devil on the Mississippi Collector's

[Post New]by jjj13 on May 28, 11 9:30 AM
I haved mixed feelings about this game. The mini games were good but lack of instructions made some of them frustrating. I found the story confusing, but maybe that was just me not reading everything. I did not like all the 'flashing' scenes and know some people will find them hard to watch.

Found myself bored by the time I got to the bonus game.

lvbrule
Lobster
Lobster
80 Posts

[Post New]by lvbrule on May 28, 11 9:55 AM
Ismene wrote:
candybrand wrote:Ivbrule said she got this game with 2 credits, when did BF start doing that?

I think that announcement was a couple weeks ago. You'll need to update your Game Manager first, but it may have updated when you downloaded the demo.

Thank you for the info....much appreciated!...where was I a couple wks ago?????

Bpup
Manatee
Manatee
3,891 Posts

[Post New]by Bpup on May 28, 11 10:10 AM
I finished the demo but I thought the game played oddly. I don't know if it was meant to be like that or if I have one of the versions with tech problems.

The opening cut scene happened, then I was dumped into the study/library and the ghost of Mark Twain appeared. I wasn't asked to create a profile, there weren't any game options to adjust - very odd. Sometimes when I would find what was needed, the scene would quickly switch to another, other times the items just hung in the air until I clicked on them. Conversations with the ghosts also didn't seem to work right; the answers didn't jive with the questions I was supposedly asking them, and the scenes all ended and the ghosts disappeared before I could say "goodbye" to them, which was also strange.

I have no idea why Mark Twain's brothers and father are involved in the story - that was totally unclear. I didn't get the whole Twain "had a premonition that he can't remember so help him remember it" scenario.

My demo ended at the stacking coal puzzle in the boiler room.

I liked the game to a certain extent, the h0 scenes were nice. The graphics seemed to fluctuatate from well-drawn to rather generic CGI (main room on the steamboat, hallway). I just don't know if I'm ready to shell out the CE price.

goldens
Guppy
Guppy
100 Posts

[Post New]by goldens on May 28, 11 11:32 AM
Just had to say....WHAT A GREAT GAME.
Thank you developers. I hope you are hard at work on a new adventure to entertain us.

maxminpin
Starfish
Starfish
45 Posts

[Post New]by maxminpin on May 28, 11 11:46 AM
Just got thru playing this game. Love It! Will probably buy. But will there be a walkthrough for it? I do like to have them. If it doesn't have one might change mind about buying. Thanks to any answers or help for this.

Lady_Cav
Barracuda
Barracuda
3,363 Posts

[Post New]by Lady_Cav on May 28, 11 11:51 AM
maxminpin wrote:Just got thru playing this game. Love It! Will probably buy. But will there be a walkthrough for it? I do like to have them. If it doesn't have one might change mind about buying. Thanks to any answers or help for this.
Since this is a Collector's Edition game, you will have access to the in game Strategy Guide if you buy it. If you wait till the regular edition to come out a month or so from now, a walkthrough should be posted very soon after the game is released, maybe the same day or within a day or two.

dlb628
Minnow
Minnow
252 Posts

[Post New]by dlb628 on May 28, 11 3:14 PM
This was a great game - up to the usual high standards of the Midnight Mysteries series of games. The bonus area is not necessary to get the full ending of the game, but it does add depth and flesh out the story a bit. The bonus chapter was about average length. I spent about 90 minutes on it. There is also another bonus game after that, where you look for 80 bones. It's fun, and it took me about ten minutes. There's also an unlimited hidden object game section, where you can go back and replay hidden object scenes if you desire. (You have to find a certain amount of four-leaf clovers during the regular game to unlock that feature. It isn't hard if you keep your eyes open.)

Edited on 05/28/2011 at 3:17:03 PM PST

elldee2728
Shark
Shark
14,378 Posts

[Post New]by elldee2728 on May 28, 11 3:30 PM
barbiecats2000 wrote:Perhaps a fishie knows the answer to this. Since I haven't played any of the games in this series, do I need to play the others before playing this one? And, how many are there in the series so far?

Thanks

Hey Barbiecats--Devil On The Mississippi could just well be the top rung on the Midnight Mysteries ladder; MM--Salem Secrets, and MM--Edgar Allan Poe Conspiracy aren't far behind, though. And no, you don't need to enjoy them in any order--as Dogfish so aptly noted, this latest jewel stands fine on its own! Good gaming!

ELadyG1013
Guppy
Guppy
133 Posts

[Post New]by ELadyG1013 on May 28, 11 4:05 PM
Mumbo Jumbo another one of my favorites !!! I downloaded the trial version and began to play...as soon as I saw the Raven flying through the night sky, I thought this is very familiar. I have other games with this theme and absolutely LOVE them all. Looks like one more to add to my MJ collection I am a happy gamer!!

[Post New]by Spookycat4 on May 28, 11 6:01 PM
To me this game was too easy. I finished it in one afternoon. For a collector's edition, that seems ridiculously quick.

dancemom1
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,198 Posts

[Post New]by dancemom1 on May 28, 11 6:31 PM
Wow, finished in one day, must have been a long day. You are quick. I loved this game and I even loved "dem bones." Not as easy to find 80 bones as you many think. Found 79 fairly quickly, but that last one had me stumped...spent hours looking for it, took 2 hours off and went back. Found that little sucker. That was a lot of fun, actually. I want more games like this one.

admiral1133
Minnow
Minnow
228 Posts

[Post New]by admiral1133 on May 28, 11 7:10 PM
Awesome game. Enjoyed ever moment of it and played it twice because it was so interesting. Good job BF. Thanks

[Post New]by sweetpeagal on May 28, 11 8:04 PM
I absolutley thought it was the best game I have played yet !!!! And I have bought MANY ! The graphics and animations in this one are AWESOME. Whoever designed this one needs a pat on the back and a "raise. If you let me know he he creates anymore like it...............I will buy them all. Cudos to the maker of this game .Git her done and bring on more. Just pop them in my inbox for download and purchase. Love it love it.
Sweepeagal

gamergirl675
Dolphin
Dolphin
6,156 Posts

[Post New]by gamergirl675 on May 28, 11 9:57 PM
care___916 wrote:Since I have to peek at the SG once in awhile .. It keeps up with you and you dont have to flip 25 pages to get help.

Not when you close the game or use the windows key to go to the desktop... then the SG goes back to the beginning. It's been really annoying having to click thru 25 pages to get where I was since there was also no clickable table of contents.

mcquigan wrote:Good graphics, an interesting story,
But, a dialogue choice; you have to choose what you will say.

Agreed. That was totally stupid. If you actually had to make a choice and it actually made a difference it would have been fun but to just having to click each dialogue choice to get the story was a pain.

gpherder wrote:
Third issue that made me not want to buy it: The stupid log book popping open at random intervals. If I want to read what's in there, I'll open it myself.

That didn't happen to me. Ever. It sort of glowed when there was a new entry but it never opened unless I clicked on it.

I liked the game although it had it's irritants... guess the devs took shortcuts and left things out to save money which they should NOT be doing on a CE. For example no voice over acting... naughty naughty devs you know how to do it, you've done it before, so don't cheap out on us. The things I already mentioned above. The achievements I mentioned elsewhere... they all happen almost at the end. So no excitement of getting them throughout the game. The SG really was lame... such a shame. Not helpful and not slick at all. And not having morphing objects to find... why not?!?! You clearly know how to program them since there were some in the game so why not give us the fun of finding them?? We're paying for a CE afterall!

Oh someone mentioned not being able to get the clover achievement because they missed one and couldn't go back... no worrieds... there's way more than 70 so you should be fine. I've found 80 so far and haven't even finished the game. (Same as in their last game I think it was... they toss in a bunch at the end lol)

I bought the game and I'm enjoying it but if the devs keep going DOWN with each game instead of making each better I probably won't buy the next one... at least not the CE anyway. I wonder if they even bother to read the comments? I hope so as I love their games and I want them to improve each time...

vicalana
Stingray
Stingray
5,296 Posts

[Post New]by vicalana on May 29, 11 7:24 AM
Loving this game - very exciting - great graphics, but I have to admit I haven't a clue what's going on!!

slepless777
Guppy
Guppy
121 Posts

[Post New]by slepless777 on May 29, 11 9:40 AM
Great game, but didn't love it as much as the other Midnight Mysteries games for some reason. Lots to do with all the clovers and bones to find. Nice puzzles, I only had to skip one in the bonus game cuz I thought it was pointless and boring. Worth the money, but like I said, not my favorite in the series. Can't really put my finger on why, though.

GraciesDD
Minnow
Minnow
293 Posts

[Post New]by GraciesDD on May 29, 11 6:38 PM
I liked the game very much but I should have paid better attention during American Literature...............never got any of the Civil War stuff......must have been absent that day

Good going developers and BF!

cagamenut
Guppy
Guppy
154 Posts

[Post New]by cagamenut on May 29, 11 8:26 PM
Maybe it's just me, I am totally confused. Am I missing an instruction link for the puzzles? I had no idea how to arrange the coins on Shakespeare's grave so ended up using the SG. I'm also having problems following the plot. Maybe the second time I play it, the story line will be more apparent. I have the other two Midnight Mysteries games but didn't have a problem following the plots in those. The graphics are beautiful, and once again, I am thankful that I bought the CE since I think I would be lost without it. Beautiful graphics with some rather well hidden ravens and clovers. Thanks, BF!

[Post New]by Darqfyre on May 29, 11 8:31 PM
I really enjoyed this game!! Lots of great extras too! I will probably finish looking for all the "bones" and start again!

Go to: