Re:Reviews for Grim Facade: Mystery of Venice Collector’s Edition

[Post New]by katsrplayin1 on Jul 12, 11 10:24 PM
this game is awesome i mean AWESOME.!!!!!!!!!!!!!! BOUGHT GAME 2 guppies up. great graphics... worth money lengthily game .. puzzles and story was great. also walkthrough helped some < even though i dont like to use thoose much. I liked this game and have played it over.. cant wait for others to come out. Thanks bfg
YOU WILL NOT BE DISAPPOINTED IN THE GAME no comments but THANKS AWESOME GAME NEED TO BUY

rtrooney
Minnow
Minnow
210 Posts

[Post New]by rtrooney on Jul 15, 11 3:25 PM
Downloaded the demo today. I'm a big fan of ERS games, so this was a no-brainer. However, I finished the demo in 41 minutes. Is this indicative of how long the game will be? If so, it seems as if it will be a very short game.

Perhaps one of the reasons one can get through this so quickly is that a piece of candy in this ERS game looks the same as a piece of candy in every other ERS game. Ditto snails, shells, etc..

I will say that the music has changed. They must have hired a new composer for this one. Totally different from music in games past. Now it's decision time. Buy now or wait for the SE.

Pashta
Seahorse
Seahorse
32 Posts

[Post New]by Pashta on Jul 16, 11 11:48 AM
Fun, but too easy and too short. I wouldn't buy it.. the collector's edition bonus content wasn't worth it to me, but I suppose if you think you'll need the strategy guide, it would be useful. I did not need it... too easy.

One puzzle was buggy in the bonus content, the pipe puzzle.

Poem123
Guppy
Guppy
135 Posts

[Post New]by Poem123 on Jul 16, 11 12:39 PM
Lovely game. Beautiful artwork, nice story, good balance of adventure, puzzles and hidden object scenes. The interface was smooth, no issues with the custom cursor. No widescreen option but it ran perfectly on a 24". The game length is decent for a casual gamer, the journal useful and the strategy guide fine for checking on something without accidentally revealing too much and it integrated well within the game. Nice puzzles, easy to understand with basic instructions, interesting to play, and not difficult to complete. No bugs, glitches or crashes on my end.

The hidden object scenes are beautifully illustrated and clear, a nice mix of well-placed sneaky items with some hidden in plain sight and a few requiring an extra (simple) step. Item sizes are appropriate and items suit the location where they are found.

A nice feature I liked was that the gold coins (ducats) you are asked to collect throughout the scenes are used as currency to purchase necessary items.

The bonus play is well done. It doesn't take anything away from those who prefer to wait for the SE but offers a little extra adventure for those enjoy this theme and time period (you play a detective in Venice during the Black Plague).

Edited on 07/16/2011 at 12:44:14 PM PST

Tomsde
Guppy
Guppy
132 Posts

[Post New]by Tomsde on Jul 16, 11 8:00 PM
I'm a big ERS fan, I've enjoyed every game that I have purchased from their studio. As usual the artwork was lush and well done, music good, and the animations fabuluous. I didn't care much for the daughter's voice over, she sounded a bit like a Valley Girl--but other than that everything was fabulous. It wasn't a terribly creepy story, but for the faint of heart it didn't have any gore and loads of dead bodies everywhere either. The storyline reminded me of Shadow Wolf Mysteries a great deal, which I enjoyed although it wasn't one of my favorites. I have a little trouble with my wacom mouse with these games registering double clicks, but it's probably a wacom driver issue rather than an issue with the game--just be aware it may be a little annoying if you have an Intuous 4 tablet; I may start digging up another mouse when I play these..

The level of difficulty and length of game were good for the money. I can't wait to see what ERS comes up with next.

dooleyro
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
13 Posts

[Post New]by dooleyro on Jul 21, 11 7:58 PM
Really enjoyed the game itself; challenging without being necessary to jump to the strategy guide every few minutes. The multitude of fans available (hints) ensure you can't get too stuck. The graphics, story, music were all very engaging. The story was not bad. The **** scenes were clear and well lit, with some unusual items to find (gaiters?). However...

The bonus play is horrible! By all means, buy, play, enjoy the standard game, but do NOT spring for the CE. The last puzzles don't even make sense.

**********************************SPOILERS**************************************

Why would you not bust a pipe loose with a sledgehammer, but go find a ball, instead? How does 20.00 = VIII? Why is a fish not Aquarius or Pisces, but Cancer? What is the deal with the pipes on the fountain, just click until they happen to fall into place? These were pretty much all the elements of the CE, and they were all ridiculous, and not in a fun, quirky way. My last impression of a very good game is not favorable, entirely because of the 'bonus content'. Very disappointed I paid the extra for the CE; should have waited for the standard game.

[Post New]by VENICELOVER on Jul 23, 11 8:16 PM
I loved this game! Played in expert mode & it gave me quite a challenge. Got stuck a few times, but finally made it through. Wish it was longer, but can't wait for more!

[Post New]by nowyouvedoneit on Jul 24, 11 4:33 PM
I broke down and bought the CE because I couldn't wait any longer for the SE...and guess what came out a couple of days later. I love ERS games but won't buy another CE...this one wasn't worth the extras.

[Post New]by VENICELOVER on Jul 27, 11 8:51 PM
Loved this game! Played in advanced mode & it gave me a run for my money. Actually got stuck a few times & had to request help. Graphics are great & interesting story. This is one Collectors edition that was worth the price. Bonus game lived up to it's name. Hope to see more of these soon!

Akela16
Guppy
Guppy
193 Posts

[Post New]by Akela16 on Jul 29, 11 7:39 AM
Super Game ! The graphics are great and the colours stunning. Puzzles were great - challenging but not too difficult. Only had to resort to the "Strategy Guide" for the last puzzle.

spoiler - (highlight to reveal) I didn't realise you could move diagonally

Once I got through that last hurdle I was able to finish the game.

Doing the "BONUS" game now ... so far it's great too.

Akela16
Guppy
Guppy
193 Posts

[Post New]by Akela16 on Jul 29, 11 5:15 PM
I've just finished the "Bonus" game. It was super too and the puzzles great ... one I just couldn't figure out and had to resort to the "Strategy Guide" for the solution.
The "Bonus" game is more difficult than the main game and is over way too soon, as was the main game too.

I'll certainly replay this game in "Expert" mode ... that should be a real challenge.

Too bad the "Extras" don't let you replay the puzzles again .... some were really fun.

[Post New]by Bluebell54 on Jul 30, 11 2:31 AM
Loved this game. Admittedly I did have to check Margie's Walkthrough several times but the artwork was beautiful and the puzzles were 'logical-ish'.This one's along the lines of 'Phantom of the Opera' and 'Deadtime Stories'. The sort of games you can't leave alone and if you do they just keep playing in your head. I never got bored. Just looking out for another one. I used to love the Mortimer Beckett games - where are those now?

Audiohawk
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
11 Posts

[Post New]by Audiohawk on Aug 13, 11 11:43 PM
Playing the Mac trial version, my ears were frequently assaulted by accidental bursts of music when I transitioned between locations. That was a pretty obvious and annoying programming glitch that should have been corrected before the game was released. There were lots of other little imprecisions: Doge should be pronounced with a "j" sound, I saw a bell ring three times but only heard it once, the cat was mixed distractingly loudly relative to the VO, etc. If I'm going to spend $14-$20 on a game, it needs to sound a lot more professional than this one does.

[Post New]by unagiYumYum on Aug 14, 11 8:54 AM
Just finished the entire CE. Overall I give it an A- which means pretty good. The game was quite short and the music was repetitive (only four tracks ). Other than that the game was fun and art was beautiful. Story was intriguing, animation was great, controls were good.

Happy Gaming everyone

Cobweb55
Minnow
Minnow
256 Posts

[Post New]by Cobweb55 on Aug 23, 11 4:15 PM
Absolutely outstanding!! Forgot I had this, and just finished. Had to use the SG a few times and was grateful it bookmarked its' self and I didn't have to flip the pages so to speak. I also appreciate that the game was non linear, and I was't stalled at any one point. Wish it had been longer.... Can't wait for the sequel!!!

marg6043
Clownfish
Clownfish
582 Posts

[Post New]by marg6043 on Jan 6, 12 4:34 AM
Beautiful, beautiful game, with incredible graphics, challenging puzzles, crisp HOscenes, everything you need on a well made game.

This one will keep you on your edge for hours, the story line was fascinating.

[Post New]by BMarley on Jan 18, 12 6:07 PM
This game is amazing, gorgeous art, good story line, nice gameplay..
I don't have to explain the details, I recommended this game!

[Post New]by purpleporpoise on Jun 1, 12 11:13 AM
Bought after playing for 5 minutes in advance mode (special CE price today $6.99). Love it already! Reviews here, pro and con, always help me make a decision (thanks, fellow Fishies ), but this one hooked me right away!

Cromaxgal
Clownfish
Clownfish
730 Posts

[Post New]by Cromaxgal on Jun 1, 12 2:44 PM
I played one of these long nosed games before, - the villian wears a mask and has a long nose. I just wasn't impressed even if it is on sale. There are others I like better. And I do NOT like games where the demo is less than the full 60 minutes.

banor
Squid
Squid
73 Posts

[Post New]by banor on Aug 21, 12 6:02 PM
wow it must be me but I thought the voices were not well done the mother had an overdone accent and the daughter had no accent or did I miss something have not finished yet so maybe I will discover something later that explains that

Go to: