Re:Review for Nightmare Realm Collector's Edition

[Post New]by hszlav on Aug 1, 11 12:48 AM
Based on the reviews I didn't even demo it, just purchased CE since I had credits piling up. Having a hard time making myself go to bed, just want to keep playing.

Beautiful graphics and smooth gameplay. I'm playing without the sound on so I can't comment on that.

My only complaint is that a while into the game there are typos. Those are one of my big pet peeves, but the game is awesome. Fun I'm happy that I didn't bother to demo it. It was worth the purchase.

Edited on 08/01/2011 at 12:50:20 AM PST

Grimhild
Starfish
Starfish
43 Posts

[Post New]by Grimhild on Aug 4, 11 5:53 PM
I found myself rather disappointed with this game overall. Some of the artwork was great, other scenes were just okay. The story was predictable, the characters somewhat irritating. I was glad that there weren't that many HOG scenes, which always leave me feeling like I'm digging thru a rubbish bin to find something that makes no rational sense. I liked most of the puzzles but they weren't very difficult. I think the game is too short; took me approximately 2 hrs to play everything including the extra CE game: I didn't feel I really got my money's worth, unlike many of the other games I've gotten from Big Fish.

[Post New]by lillfive on Aug 28, 11 6:08 PM
I bought this today because of the sale on some CE's. This is my favorite game I've ever gotten on here. The graphics are stunning. The story is good and I usually kind of skip through the stories. The mini-games are not super hard so far, which I like. It's just such a lovely, beautiful looking game. I'm very impressed.

Jadakiss2000
Minnow
Minnow
209 Posts

[Post New]by Jadakiss2000 on Sep 2, 11 8:57 AM
Loved this game. It sucked me in within the first 5 minutes. I was saying WOW! Excellent story, graphics and gameplay. The bonus content had a lot to do with the game. Spoiler: It focused on another character in the story as to his whereabouts as the game went on. I do wonder about the other children also that were extracted. Overall, super game that gets an A+ in my book.

silverink
Minnow
Minnow
200 Posts

[Post New]by silverink on Sep 7, 11 9:27 AM
This was an excellent game in every way. I had a hard time getting into it at first for some reason, but I ended up really enjoying it. The game design was of very high quality in terms of artwork, storyline, flow and length. The graphics were wonderful and it was well paced with great adventure elements, some good puzzles, and a few challenges along the way. The only element missing was character voices, which would have made it even better. The story was well developed and had some depth, and the bonus was very well done and meaningful to the storyline - it had an underlying creepiness that really brought the "nightmare" to life.

Overall, a highly enjoyable game and well worth the CE price in my opinion - I hope to see more of a similar style from these developers!

megwoman25
Clownfish
Clownfish
742 Posts

[Post New]by megwoman25 on Sep 16, 11 2:34 AM
This will probably have SPOILERS!!
Halfway through this game I was ready to give it 5 stars but the ending is just so corny and bad. I mean was the father the bad guy? or did he save her from the bad guy at the end? It was totally confusing. I got this in the CE sale so I didn't pay full price thank god. I mean I remember demoing this and writing it off because it had no voiceovers and it really would have added to the ambience of this game BUT it didnt ruin it either. I love the graphics and the different worlds to visit but it seems like 3/4th way through, the developers thought this game was getting to be too long so they kind of shorted it and then came up with this beyond corny ending to put the dad back in it. IMO, he didnt need to come back and it would have been more cool to tie the uncle in as something evil and it had all these weird kid quotes while saving the daughter. I don't know, kind of lost me with that ending. Now Im in the bonus play which is 4 chapters but its missing its sound component when it shows the cut scenes. Is it supposed to be like that? 4 chapters seems like a lot but its going by kind of fast. Good thing is you get an ending even if you buy the SE version and it is a long game. That person that finished in 2 hours is beyond me. Its taken me at least 5 and Im a fast player for the most part and I do love the graphics. I just wish the story line would have been better.

Edited on 09/16/2011 at 2:36:01 AM PST

EnvirEng
Guppy
Guppy
152 Posts

[Post New]by EnvirEng on Sep 16, 11 9:23 PM
I loved the game. Bought the CE because it was on sale. Normally can't afford those, but if I had paid the full CE price, I would have been satisfied. I highly recommend this game. I LOVED the H0G parts--a bit interactive in a very satisfying way. The story line was a bit haphazard, but allowed the developers to create amazing worlds to explore. It took me several hours to play and I loved it.

Misc thoughts: I don't think this game is much like Drawn. It involves a young girl and her pictures, which you need to find. To me, the other similarities are typical "something evil is out there" in an adverture/H0G format.

The additional content (CE) was tangential to the actual game, but that desert world was a work of (creepy) art!

The map was a BIG help, because it showed where actions were necessary. I really needed that in the extra gameplay part.

I never found all the origami and I don't care. The last one was very cute, though.

I can't completely sort out the story line. Extractors steal talented children on their seventh birthday's to power their world. Got that. But, still can't figure out if Dad was evil or what! Tommy's Mom was evidently involved in extractions, so was Dad? I wish that would have been more clearly explained. A lot left unexplained. Tragically dead fathers that turn out to be bad guys...not so good.

[Post New]by QualityReviews on Oct 5, 11 5:57 AM
This game is not so bad. Graphics is weak but the gameplay is quite interesting. Original minigames, and interesting story
3+ out of 5!

JCesme43
Seahorse
Seahorse
20 Posts

[Post New]by JCesme43 on Oct 16, 11 1:19 PM
Well, this was a game I rejected after playing the trial, but then HAD to have when BFG had their $6.99 sale on collectors' editions. Glad I got it! It's a really good game & the bonus game was very good. Beautiful graphics. Good mini games...nothing too hard for me.. and none of those stupid ones where you have to get ALL of something going the same way...I HATE those!
Anyway, great game. No glitches for me.
I'd give it 5 stars.

P.S. I LOVE LOVE LOVE the ones that give you the little extra to find ...in this one it's 33 (I think..) origami. You don't HAVE to get them all to finish, but it's fun trying. It's like a little surprise when you start playing the game...a lot of the games have it now & I just love them for it.

Edited on 10/16/2011 at 1:31:56 PM PST

[Post New]by MichaelMaiden25 on Nov 5, 11 7:44 PM
Love the game, Nice Graphics and Nice Music!

skr041300
Guppy
Guppy
184 Posts

[Post New]by skr041300 on Dec 15, 11 3:49 AM
Playing the demo and can't tear myself away. Graphics are beautiful and for once I am actually interested in the storyline. Hidden object scenes are fun to play (tasks within each scene) and inventory items are fun to use.

Shastanna
Lobster
Lobster
97 Posts

[Post New]by Shastanna on Jan 29, 12 6:42 PM
Graphics were beautiful!

Ending was weird. lol

I wish they'd put the bonus chapter in the middle of the story, since that's when it took place.

I enjoyed it. :-)

Edited on 05/09/2012 at 11:11:07 AM PST

Shastanna
Lobster
Lobster
97 Posts

[Post New]by Shastanna on Jan 29, 12 6:46 PM
edited because there is something wrong with my post

Edited on 05/09/2012 at 11:11:55 AM PST

Laflamme
Stingray
Stingray
4,512 Posts

[Post New]by Laflamme on May 9, 12 7:30 AM
Review based upon completion of the game and the bonus content. However, I only found 29/33 origami, so I don't know what the unlocked bonus for that is.

This one starts out very creepy. Some being, apparently one of those "extractors" (which feed upon children's creativity) loosens a rock that causes an accident, apparently killing a father of one. (You will find some more dead beings later on.) For me, it was not so clear what killed the father. Four years later, that being kidnaps the daughter. The mother and the uncle of Emily, the daughter, follow the Extractor to the Nightmare Realm. (Thank goodness the nightmares do not involve big spiders - thank you!)

The Good:

+ graphics (a bit blurry in HO scenes though)
+ fantastic videos and animations
+ items are not put back into repeated HO scenes
+ hilarious 33rd origami! (looking for them gives you something to do)
+ map that shows you where to go next (no fast-jump-function though)

The Neutral:

o game is rather short, but decent if you include the bonus chapter
o like I said above, graphics in HO scenes could be crisper and sharper

The Bad:

- for me, some questions were left open (what role did the Uncle play in the accident and Emily's kidnapping?)
- no voiceovers! (for me a must if I am to shell out more money for a CE)

Bonus Content: The Bonus Chapter deals with the goings-on of the Uncle who almost drowns when the Extractor floods the hole he is trapped in. You get to help another Mom and Child pair and receive some background information. The bonus chapter is not necessary for the understanding of the game and has decent length. Rest of bonus content: Concept art, music, wallpapers and some step by step manual for 4 origami figures.

Bottom Line: The game starts out eerily, but loses that touch quickly. You do not feel threatened often by the Extractors. It's still a great, recommended to buy game. If you don't care about more story background get the regular version.

boobailey
Guppy
Guppy
187 Posts

[Post New]by boobailey on Jun 19, 12 5:04 PM
Good game! The more I played the more I liked it. Lot's of puzzles and HOS that were easy but fun. I bought the Collector's Edition, which I usually don't do. Not much extra and not worth the extra. Get the regular game. It was worth the time.

janey3315
Guppy
Guppy
102 Posts

[Post New]by janey3315 on Nov 7, 12 9:04 PM
I loved loved loved this game. Some of the story lines in some games I do not enjoy but this one was very well done. The creativity and art was of high quality. It flowed very nicely. The puzzles and HOG's were easy but very enjoyable. I sometimes like when puzzles are not so hard that it's frustrating. There was a mixture. Some puzzles made you think. The bonus content was one the best I've played for a CE. This is one of my favorites so far...I do have several favs...lol

Happy Gaming Fishes

[Post New]by Gamer1478 on Jan 5, 14 4:24 PM
The game was fun. A little too easy so it didn't last long. But I enjoyed it. The price was too high for how short the game was and since the bonus game couldn't be finished on the iPad version due to a glitch. Overall the game was fine, but wouldn't recommend it due to the technical issues that we're not resolved.

Go to: