Hello from developers!

mariannequilts
Flounder
Flounder
2,146 Posts

Re:Hello from developers!

[Post New]by mariannequilts on Jul 18, 11 9:50 AM
P.S. One of the cutest things was Felix attending the birthday party. Loved it. LOL

Dev_Danny
Seahorse
Seahorse
38 Posts

[Post New]by Dev_Danny on Jul 18, 11 12:57 PM
Hey mariannequilts!

Thank you very much for the feedback! We'll try to do a better job with back navigation in our future titles! Thanks for pointing this out!

LadyWyntre
Guppy
Guppy
104 Posts

[Post New]by LadyWyntre on Jul 18, 11 7:19 PM
Greetings. I very much enjoyed this game. Two minor quibbles--one I suspect is a bug, and one is a story question.

The suspected bug: in a hidden object scene in the bonus section, I needed to find an egg. I found every object except the egg, and the hint was fully loaded. When I clicked on the hint, it didn't do anything except make a clicking sound. (I used the hint in other scenes, and earlier in THAT scene, so it wasn't that). It did not highlight the egg as it had other objects. In the strategy guide, the object scene was detailed with the items circled, including the egg, so that was good.

The story question (with spoilers): It's not entirely clear to me whether the dad (David, I think?) was a good guy, bad guy, or someone in between. Did he die in that wreck? Did he die after the kidlet was saved? Why was he one of the Extractors? Did it turn him evil? Was he *always* evil? But wait, he's not evil at all? Aargh!

One final comment--a nice bit of misdirection... I was convinced that Peter was actually a bad guy for much of the game, given that he seemed a little sinister--apparently because he was sad and guilt-ridden. I was *really* convinced I was right when he was about to hand Kathleen the paper but a convenient flood prevented the handover. Well done. The story overall was compelling, with an interesting alternate world and multiple mysteries. Gameplay didn't get in the way of the story, which is always my criteria.

I play games of all sorts--WoW, other MMORPGs, plenty of casual games, and plenty of less-than-casual games like the Elder Scrolls series, Bioshock, etc. This was a high-quality offering that I enjoyed--a few hours well spent escaping the stressful life of a grad student. And as others have noted, it's a pleasure to be able to say so right to the dev. (My husband is a programmer, so I've seen his crazy joy at kudos).

Edited on 07/18/2011 at 7:20:12 PM PST

Dev_Danny
Seahorse
Seahorse
38 Posts

[Post New]by Dev_Danny on Jul 19, 11 8:24 AM
Hey LadyWyntre!

Thank you very much for a great comment!

First of all I really appologise that you have encountered an issues while playing! I hope you were able to pass through this point, if you didn't please try contacting BF support team, as I am unfortunatelly not allowed to help you directly .

Sorry for that one more time!

Now to the story questions:

About David (massive spoiler alert):
After the car crash in the beginning of the game David gets 'extracted', and from this point he does not exist as a human any more, so you can say that he dies.

If you remember the short animated sequence at the end of the game, right before you save Emily, it is explained there that the race of Extractors sometimes extract the best and kindest people of the real world, they shackle them into black robes that turn them evil, and make them follow the rules of the extractors.

So as you play the game you can see that Extractor David acts differntly almost every time you meet him, he fights the black robe but it's very hard for him. There is a huge struggle inside of him going on, the love for Emily vs the black robes and his new extractor self.

I am very very very happy that you enjoyed the game, and even put us in line with WoW, elder scrolls and bioshock, a developer can not ask for a bigger praise than this one!

Thank you very much!

TeamSD
Clownfish
Clownfish
621 Posts

[Post New]by TeamSD on Jul 19, 11 8:29 AM
Hi dev,

As you kmow I love this game very much, first I have to congratulations with you that Nightmare Realm CE staying on top of BFG chart for a week and maybe few days more. Can you tell us what will be the next game from you, new HOG or other genre or even the sequel of this game?

Thanks

Dev_Danny
Seahorse
Seahorse
38 Posts

[Post New]by Dev_Danny on Jul 19, 11 10:25 AM
Hey TeamSD,

Thanks for the post! I am super happy you liked the game!

Unfortunately I can't comment on our plans, but Extractors deffinately have evil secrets behind their dark robes. And these secrets need to be revealed before it's too late!

LadyWyntre
Guppy
Guppy
104 Posts

[Post New]by LadyWyntre on Jul 20, 11 6:10 AM
I had no trouble finding the egg in the scene and passing through--I just thought I'd document the issue in case you were planning to issue another patch for some reason.

Thanks for the story clarification. One thing that some games have done that I really appreciated is to allow people to replay cut scenes (sometimes through the journal) that they have unlocked. The more complex the story, the more helpful that can that be. I probably would've watched some of those cut scenes more than once with the opportunity. Something to consider for future games...

Keep up the good work!

Lady_Cav
Barracuda
Barracuda
3,363 Posts

[Post New]by Lady_Cav on Jul 20, 11 6:28 AM
Thank you Dev_Danny for the explanation of the storyline. I really appreciated hearing the developers' explanation for the actions of David. It was a thought provoking story and I wondered about many things while playing the game.

Spoiler:

I also thought that David was going against the rules and regulations of the extractors, or else Peter and David's wife (the player) wouldn't have been able to get as far as they did. I also wondered if the amber cage that Emily was saved from was part of the normal process of extraction, or whether it was left there by David so that his wife and Peter could save her.

You mentioned that the story line of the extractors might possibly continue. I'm glad to hear that, as I enjoyed this game immensely, have already played it twice, and will probably play it again. I kept wondering and hoping that *if* David was somehow helping or allowing his family to save Emily (in his turmoil and struggle), that he might have been able to avoid the fate of the old lady in The Wasteland (punishment) and somehow be transformed by way of some sort of angelic transformation for his actions. That was the only disconcerting part of the storyline, seeing that this new extractor was assigned to his own daughter. I couldn't help but wish for a redemption for poor David.

Congratulations to your team for a wonderful game! It was one of the best casual games I've played all year. I can't wait to see what is coming up in the next game! Best of luck to you all.

Dev_Danny
Seahorse
Seahorse
38 Posts

[Post New]by Dev_Danny on Jul 20, 11 9:08 AM
Hello LadyWyntre,

The ability to replay cut scenes seems very interesting! We will defiinately consider getting something like this in the future titles!

Thanks!

Danny

Dev_Danny
Seahorse
Seahorse
38 Posts

[Post New]by Dev_Danny on Jul 20, 11 9:45 AM
Hey Lady_Cav!

Always a pleasure to see that players appreciate our effort in crafting the backstory for the game! Thank you very much!

Here are a few details about the story (spoilers as always ):

I also thought that David was going against the rules and regulations of the extractors, or else Peter and David's wife (the player) wouldn't have been able to get as far as they did. I also wondered if the amber cage that Emily was saved from was part of the normal process of extraction, or whether it was left there by David so that his wife and Peter could save her.

You are absolutely right! David was deffinately going against the rules and regulations! And you are also right about the amber cage, it was ment to save Emily. Mary (the woman from CE episode), tried to do similar thing to her own son she put him into the amber cage, but as she had no help comming her plan was revealed by extractors and she and her son had to suffer the punishment.

You mentioned that the story line of the extractors might possibly continue. I'm glad to hear that, as I enjoyed this game immensely, have already played it twice, and will probably play it again. I kept wondering and hoping that *if* David was somehow helping or allowing his family to save Emily (in his turmoil and struggle), that he might have been able to avoid the fate of the old lady in The Wasteland (punishment) and somehow be transformed by way of some sort of angelic transformation for his actions

Though I would love to comment on this section I would rather keep silent, as I may spoiler the future event

----see next post----

Edited on 07/20/2011 at 9:51:19 AM PST

Dev_Danny
Seahorse
Seahorse
38 Posts

[Post New]by Dev_Danny on Jul 20, 11 9:51 AM

That was the only disconcerting part of the storyline, seeing that this new extractor was assigned to his own daughter. I couldn't help but wish for a redemption for poor David.

Haha! I'm glad you noticed that minor thing! I guess only a few folks found it! BUT! That's actually David's suitecase, and the reason why the extractor's number is changed on Emily's case is that David forged the document! He found out that Extractors are planning Emily's extraction and forged the document to become her extractor.

This is a very minor detail and doesn't really influence the gameplay part, but it was important for us to understand the plot behind the plot, what was happening before events of the game etc. etc.

Since we had this plot behind the plot we implemented a few minorish hints about it, hoping that it would be a tiny extra reward for players who pay additional attention to details, and those who may be replaying the game.

Thank you very much for an awesome comment! It was a pleasure writing a reply to it!

Poem123
Guppy
Guppy
135 Posts

[Post New]by Poem123 on Jul 20, 11 10:15 AM
I am so keen to play this game and have been following the reviews, and this thread, closely. I'd like to comment on some of the ideas raised in this thread.

Voice-overs
I agree it can be difficult to source the right actors, especially when the game is developed in a non-English primary language country. Some games can be spoiled by annoying voices or actors emphasizing the wrong words out of context. Or when dialogues don't sound natural between two people who may not have heard the other half spoken aloud. (I lived in Portugal with an American boyfriend who did a lot of terrible voice acting as his accent was hard to find in Lisbon). However, when it's done right, it adds so much to the gaming experience, it's hard to move onto another game without it. Also, not every bit of dialogue needs it (especially error messages like "I can't use that item here"), but cut-scenes and key plot turns are greatly enhanced by acting.

Navigation (click-to map)
I understand the point about immersion but players come in all varieties. Some are very skilled at puzzles, while others like to explore. Some want to race to the end to beat their best time and others want to finish without using a single hint or skip. Some play a game once and others like to replay. At least offer the option of a map for those who prefer it.

Cut-scenes
I think its an excellent suggestion. I have only played one game that offered this and I definitely used it.

In any case, I can't wait to get this (hopefully next week). When a game is made with love and a story told with care, I always get drawn in.

Lady_Cav
Barracuda
Barracuda
3,363 Posts

[Post New]by Lady_Cav on Jul 20, 11 10:31 AM
Thank you very kindly, Dev_Danny for the plot details. I appreciate your taking the time to answer.

The second part of your post was quite a revelation! Although you confirmed what I suspected all along, I completely missed:

spoiler:
...the fact that the suitcase belonged to David and he forged the document! Brilliant! I love that detail. :-)

I do so wish that you could have elaborated on the rest, but i understand.
If you need a beta tester when the time comes, let me know!

It's obvious that the creation of this game was a labor of love, as well as many hard hours of work. And to see the developers come to a gaming forum to interact with the customers shows great conscientiousness. I only hope the CE version sales enable you to having a shining and successful future.

giggyann
Catfish
Catfish
1,721 Posts

[Post New]by giggyann on Jul 20, 11 11:01 AM
I just loved this game. I am so excited for the people who haven't played the whole game yet..... it is so beautiful you will enjoy it so much. You haven't seen the best that is to come. Enjoy. Happy gaming.
The witch doctors tree is so amazing to watch.....um never mind I won't spoil it for you.

Koalanut
Marlin
Marlin
8,777 Posts

[Post New]by Koalanut on Jul 21, 11 4:12 PM
Just got a chance to sit down and try the game. I have played 58 minutes and I love it! It reminds me of Drawn and that is one of my favorite series. Thank you for the hard work on this one. I am really enjoying the creativity and the beauty and I love the story. Off to use those game credits!

timothya
Guppy
Guppy
101 Posts

[Post New]by timothya on Jul 25, 11 7:16 PM
Danny, many thanks for a wonderful game, and thanks even more for speaking to us here on the forum!

My favorite part was ancillary to the plot but it just cracked me up - it was the Witchdoctor on her mechanical friend hard at work breaking the rock. Yes, I really did laugh out loud.

Catfish_girl
Manatee
Manatee
3,605 Posts

[Post New]by Catfish_girl on Jul 27, 11 1:43 PM
So far I only played the demo, for budgetary reasons I'm waiting for the SE's release.

But from what I've seen I'm very impressed, I really liked the fact that the game started with a quote from Rainer Maria Rilke, that shows class! I give you kudos for that one!
Starting with RMR raised my expectations of the game tremendously!

I do know it will be an immediate buy when the SE comes out! But there are a few down sides: I didn't like it one bit that there was a map that actually states if there is something to do in a particular spot: I like to figure that out for myself.

Furthermore when finishing the demo hour I already managed to collect one third of the origami prices, or what shall I call them? Does that mean that game length is only 3 hours? I hope not.........

Puzzles were really very easy, to me they could be a lot harder to solve, I like more of a challenge!

But all in all: this game shows class! It's a definite buy upon SE's release!

vingilot
Dolphin
Dolphin
6,175 Posts

[Post New]by vingilot on Jul 29, 11 6:04 AM
Hi Danny! Not sure if you answered this question already or not - any plans to port this to Mac? I demoed the CE in CrossOver and loved it! But CrossOver isn't perfect and games aren't always easy to play on it. I couldn't view the journal at all, so got stuck on one puzzle and had to stop before the demo was over. I would love to own this game - it hit all the wow factors for me.

lvbrule
Lobster
Lobster
80 Posts

[Post New]by lvbrule on Jul 29, 11 4:43 PM
Dev_Danny wrote:lvbrule!

Thank you! Every piece of data helps us!

Sorry Dev_Danny...after sending my computer info to BFG customer support and downloading the latest DX driver and Adobe Flash player as per recommended..the game still played incredibly slow.....so the conclusion was that the game wasnt compatible with my Windows XP. BFG refunded my purchase. Sounded like it would have been a fun game to play. I purchase alot of CE's so guess the devs lost out on this one from me. Please dont read this as a note of animosity...I'm not that kind of person. Hope the above information maybe helps somewhat with the technicalities.

Bye for now!

[Post New]by tonkamom3 on Aug 3, 11 9:55 AM
Enjoying this game, it's just the kind of game I've been looking for. Does your company have any other games similar to this one?

BTW I'm stuck at the Sanityzak, I seem to have loaded the ingredients into the grinder in the wrong order...? help! Can't do anything now.

Oh yes, and beautiful graphics!

Go to: