Lord_Lollipop
Guppy
Guppy
130 Posts

Re:Review for Vampire Saga - Welcome To Hell Lock

[Post New]by Lord_Lollipop on Jul 12, 11 4:22 AM
This game holds your hand like you are a toddler.
I felt like going to fix a meal while it played itself.

Valdy
Marlin
Marlin
9,383 Posts

[Post New]by Valdy on Jul 12, 11 7:55 AM
Despite my earlier statement that I wouldn`t buy the game because of all the flashes, I did buy the game after all, because the flashes seem to get less and less intrusive, and only appear again briefly when something new needs to be done.

Also, this is a very interesting storyline, and I do enjoy the gameplay. So yes, I changed my mind and bought the game and am happy with it.

However, that said, I do hope those flashing sparkles will not appear again in future games.

ETA: Gosh, that was a super short game. It took me barely 2 1/2 hours to finish the game, and I am a slow player.
I guess it had something to do with not really looking for hidden objects, because I just looked for the green text to appear - took the fun out of finding objects really.

Also, how many times do I have to search the same H0 scenes, AND search for the same objects (plus one other). That was really cheating on part of the developers - not making more of an effort to give more variety.

I really liked the first game, but this one could have been great, if...

Edited on 07/12/2011 at 9:25:54 AM PST

Bink_In_AK
Minnow
Minnow
237 Posts

[Post New]by Bink_In_AK on Jul 12, 11 1:36 PM
Again with the sparkles?

Definitely not for me. I just can't get past the sparkles... Sparkles? Instant No Buy!

(Soapbox On...)

Sparkles? We don't need no stinking sparkles...

Maybe there should be a game category called:
SOG - Sparkling Object Game.

Developers, (as if you even read the feedback here) riddle me this... How can it be called "Hidden Object" if, the allegedly hidden object, is lit up with sparkles?

Here is a clue: An object isn't hidden if there are sparkles all around it.

What part of "Hidden Object" don't you understand?

(Soapbox Off.)

[Post New]by rosie28sammy on Jul 12, 11 4:48 PM
This game reminded me so much of another one that came out a year or to ago, especially the scenes in the house. Personally, I didn't care for it at all and deleted it after 35 minutes of the demo. The storyline wasn't very interesting to me and there was just way too much blood for me. I realize that I should have expected it with the title "Vampire Saga", but I didn't realize exactly how much. A little too over the top for me. Sorry.

admiral1133
Minnow
Minnow
228 Posts

[Post New]by admiral1133 on Jul 12, 11 6:41 PM
This game looks like it might develope into an interesting challenge, but unfortunately the HOG items are so small you can not see them and the curser goes squirrely if you click three times too fast. I am so sick of BF trying to monitor my clicking with squirrely cursers or frozen cursers, I am ready to dump this site. What makes you think I can't click as many times as I want? Having the hidden items turn green when you are close to them is juvenile. And the story line with the black and white cartoons make me ill. This is a game for juveniles not experience players. Move on. I am still waiting BF for something new and challenging. How long has it been since you created a large file game, besides Nancy Drew? Bye for now. Sorry BF.

ARETHORN
Squid
Squid
77 Posts

[Post New]by ARETHORN on Jul 13, 11 2:28 PM
What a surprise a worthy follow up to Vampire Saga-Pandoras Box finally appears out of the blue.Good points are a interactive map via the pictures taken by the camera which allows you to go straight to scene and also shows scenes that have a Hog or problem still to be solved, desciptions on HOG scenes turn green when you are near the object you are looking for,great story that really hooks you from start to finish,music that fits in with story line.Bad points are too many sparkles on scenes which you cannot turn off and some of the graphics are a bit grainy.Overall a brilliant game which may have slipped under peoples radar.So go download the demo and give this game a try.

[Post New]by LadyWolfSpirit on Jul 13, 11 4:40 PM
This game was too lame. I dont like my hand being held through the whole thing. Very tiresome. My main complaint is the slow game play. Ive played 100s of games on my puter and never had a problem. I downloaded this game and one other today and both of them the mouse responds so slowly its not even funny. Played both games for about 5 minutes and deleted them...luckily they were paid for by punch card credits or I would not be a happy camper

jazzl2010
Squid
Squid
60 Posts

[Post New]by jazzl2010 on Jul 13, 11 6:40 PM
I liked the game...though you do travel back and forth a bit much..but still I didn't need the walkthrough..it was confusing a bit..but you did get the gist of what you had to do..but a lot of work collecting what you needed..all in all I liked it..though it crashed once when I used the jackhammer..but I just reloaded and it was alright..the ending ..ludicrous...how did he survive that...

timothya
Guppy
Guppy
101 Posts

[Post New]by timothya on Jul 13, 11 9:24 PM
I think [removed by moderator] was trying a few things out in this one, some of which worked (for me) and some really didn't.

Pros: the help system, where if you were lost you could refer to the sparkles in the photographs. Instant navigation through this as well. Nice feature for a beginner but a beginner probably couldn't figure it out, at least this time around. But a nice innovation. Quality graphics if unrelentingly grim. Music was spooky and atmospheric...at first.

Cons: the help system, too obtrusive for a fairly experienced player. Music was too short-looped and not varied enough between scenes; it became repetitive and rather dreary. The plot didn't advance at all through most of the game, leading to a feeling of tedium throughout the middle. Too much re-use of H0 scenes to lengthen the game - you'd see an item you knew you needed and had to leave the scene empty-handed to await a return, or a second return, when it would be available. Worse, you'd encounter a puzzle and have to wander randomly until you encountered the next H0 scene that supplied a needed item, which was seldom in a logical location and too often in one you'd never think of revisiting, at least for that purpose. The photos did help that a little, but not enough.

Generally, too many open puzzles at once with too much inventory that was useless until too much later. All great stuff in moderation, but overused here, I think.

Finally, the plot exposition itself. You get to see what happened to the town in 12 pictures, far too briefly, with no explanation. Terrible waste of potential! Those things looked really interesting and they just flashed by.

Three fins of five, but as a test-bed, not too bad.

Edited on 07/25/2011 at 9:16:21 AM PST

Jinnare
Guppy
Guppy
178 Posts

[Post New]by Jinnare on Jul 14, 11 2:53 PM
A lot of excellent reviews have already been posted, so I'll try not to be too long winded.

I'm a big fan of [removed by moderator], and their name on a game usually promises a great, fun ride. I think this game is up to their usual high quality regarding graphics, story line, audio, etc. As others have said repeatedly, however, it is way too easy for the majority of the casual gaming audience. The game pretty much plays itself - all it needs you for is to move it around where it needs to go, directing you every step of the way. It would be a great teaching-learning tool for new game players, but a choice of difficulty levels with the option to turn off the sparkles and the copious verbal clues would have made it a really super offering.

I will most likely buy this game because I was enjoying the story line and want to know how it turns out. I may very well wait for a DD or CotW, though.

I sincerely hope that someone from [removed by moderator] reads these posts and takes them to heart for their future game development.

Happy Gaming, Fishies!

Edited on 07/25/2011 at 9:16:37 AM PST

ethan1404
Starfish
Starfish
48 Posts

[Post New]by ethan1404 on Jul 15, 11 5:35 AM
Oh dear! Sent a message for help, but have now worked it out but I want to see if anyone took the time to reply and try to help this old lady but don't know how to use this forum hence, if you replied to me, take this as an appreciation and thanks, albeit done globally.
I often read the main people who take the time to review the games and help us decide and for that I wish to thank you, not only for your time but for your help and inspiration.
I feel I would be good at that sort of thing but don't know how to go about it, for goodness sake, I can't even find my original SOS!! How good am I??
I need to work out what all your shortcuts mean, how to find specific messages, how to find out who has helped me, how to navigate this forum, in other words, I thought I was smart but not!!!
But there again, I am an old grandma and really, I do quite well! Just need to know how to work this forum.
Love you all, you are so generous with your time and help and believe me, I do appreciate everything that is posted. Just need to learn how to use it properly, haha!
Grandma from Australia

benchivo
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
13 Posts

[Post New]by benchivo on Jul 15, 11 2:49 PM
Just finished the game. I did enjoy the not too much challenge this time around but like everyone else the sparkles could have been left out. I enjoyed the storyline again and the music. Played the trial and ended up buying and I think I will play again in a few weeks. The great thing about my memory is that I can play a game and two weeks play again and it's like new. LOL.

DeadRiver
Whale Shark
Whale Shark
17,688 Posts

[Post New]by DeadRiver on Jul 16, 11 7:36 PM
Review based on the demo

THE GOOD: The sountrack was brilliant. It was eerie and creepy and uplifting at the same time. I would buy it as a CD. The Hidden Object games were moderate to moderately hard and were consistent with the storyline. No junkpiles. The minigames were easy and moderately easy. The graphics were clear and colorful, sometimes muted. The story line was one of those where only the main character doesn't know that he has become something otherworldly.

THE BAD: This game was really hard to navigate without clues. Some people might be put off by that but I thought it was really challenging.

THE UGLY: Nothing

THE VERDICT: This one's a keeper

[Post New]by PrettyBlueEyes78 on Jul 16, 11 10:15 PM
Without reading all of the comments here, I am responding to those that are complaining about, or passing on this game due to no choice for difficulty level. Create a profile folks. Right there where you type in your name is the choice to play as an "Expert" or "Casual". I always have to create different profiles because of the different players in the house. I don't want people playing on my profile. Anyway, I checked, and there are NOOOOO sparkles in expert mode. Not even a hint of one. No hand holding, or pulling, etc.. And I checked specifically for those of you that violently dislike sparkles. I actually prefer them as I would rather take an aspirin than have bald spots where I ripped all my hair out after walking around in circles.
I actually like the game alot. Clear graphics, doesn't seem to be a billion **** scenes, I'm not offended by the music, and the photo book is great. I always hated having to search every arrow to get back to a particular scene. I also like the fact that they tried to be scary. I actually almost jumped right out of my skin once so far. I am hoping for more of that. Anyway folks, I am going back to play for a bit since I can't sleep (pretty bad case of bronchitis so my chest is KILLING me from the almost constant coughing!!). Happy gaming to all, and to all a good night.

AvgSpock
Barracuda
Barracuda
3,044 Posts

[Post New]by AvgSpock on Jul 16, 11 10:45 PM
Hi PrettyBlueEyes78,

You are correct that the game has an Expert Mode Option now but, it was only recently added in the July 16th Updated version listed on this page:

http://forums.bigfishgames.com/posts/list/169989.page

I had the original version with no choice of difficulty levels and I have just updated mine. Hopefully, all of the folks who wanted the game with that option will notice it's been added, too.

Hope you feel better and enjoy the rest of your game.

HoudiniCats
Lobster
Lobster
93 Posts

[Post New]by HoudiniCats on Jul 16, 11 11:38 PM
jojo_the_joyful wrote:Good Morning Fishies !

I have played 53 mins of this latest game from [removed by moderator] & I am loving it, although it is far from their best.

The basics, well the options are for music, background, sound off, custom curser & windowed mode. I altered nothing & was happy with what I saw & heard (very little noise, blends in very well to the mood of the game)

The graphics & objects were crisp, clear and easy to see (more about that later)

Although there is no difficulty option, this game is certainly easy in comparison to some. There are plenty of sparkles to show you where to go etc, huge arrows giving you direction choices and as Timekilla said, a "hot warm cold" indication system in the object scenes. However, I like sparkles and I didn't take any notice of the warnings once I worked out what they meant.

Also to aid navigation is the photo album where you can jump from scene to scene. (Good for those with worn out sneekers LOL). There seems to be a lot of locations & inventory items in this game so look every where & leave no stone unturned.

I came across one minigame, a painting by numbers which was good if easy.

I am loving this game because I can play it with out endless hints, with out feeling dumb & get to feel extremely cleaver when I work things out for my self.

Having been spoiled with Phantasmat, Dying for Daylight & Tiny bang I have gone off HOGS recently but this one is snaring me right back in.

Jojo

I believe JoJo, that when you create a profile, there is an option for either casual or expert. I'm "sparkle free" (more or less) playing expert.
I loved the first game, too. One of my faves. (Though I am not a fan of hidden object games.)

Edited on 07/25/2011 at 9:17:25 AM PST

angelfishp
Catfish
Catfish
1,600 Posts

[Post New]by angelfishp on Jul 17, 11 2:17 PM
I didn't check to see if there was an updated version without the sparkles and I sure am glad I checked today. I most certainly will buy this game now. Thank you developers for listening.

qpr1
Clownfish
Clownfish
733 Posts

[Post New]by qpr1 on Jul 18, 11 6:28 AM
not much point to playing this game. the sparkles tell you where to go, and the h.o. scenes show you where the object is. all you have to do is point the cursor and click

no buy here!

orijojo
Guppy
Guppy
103 Posts

[Post New]by orijojo on Jul 19, 11 9:10 AM
This game was updated on the 16th July as per the mods post below:

We have a new version of Vampire Saga - Welcome To Hell Lock available now. This new version of the game fixes in-game crash that caused Access Violations and corrupt profiles. It also adds two difficulty modes

I down loaded the game again, and finished the trial in advanced mode, and there are no sparkles at all .

IMO it's worth another try. I am buying it.

jojo

Edited on 07/19/2011 at 9:11:51 AM PST

[Post New]by RenaissanceMom on Jul 19, 11 3:16 PM
Just played the (updated) demo - it's great!! No sparkles, atmospheric and spooky with lots to explore... and a SE price!

Go to: