Xmas3kds
Seahorse
Seahorse
29 Posts

Re:Comments for A Vampire Romance: Paris Stories

[Post New]by Xmas3kds on Jul 19, 11 10:59 AM
An absolutely HORRIBLE game...despite my experience with previous HdO games, I downloaded the trial and, right from the start, had a deja vu feeling! OMG, it's a chore just to get into the game!! And then the map and subway just added to my sense of doom. The graphics are small, the music is boring and I never got to see a vampire! Maybe he/she left, being bored to "life"! BFG, stop giving us games from this developer....they really "suck"!

laraly
Parrotfish
Parrotfish
428 Posts

[Post New]by laraly on Jul 19, 11 11:26 AM
I 've just finished the demo, and I was right about drawing in the art room:
This game it's not good, curdor won't always work properly, the dynimic of the game is very stiff, the music is deadly, and not adapt to this type of game, the sides' bars are out of screen in full, too bad, becasue Paris is very unchanting city!!

kickenbass
Seahorse
Seahorse
36 Posts

TORTURE

[Post New]by kickenbass on Jul 19, 11 11:29 AM
Didn't fininsh demo,

This isn't a game, it is agony. Agony: intense pain of mind or body. In this case, both.

Ms. Quinn

goldens
Guppy
Guppy
100 Posts

[Post New]by goldens on Jul 19, 11 1:07 PM
I have never read so many negative reviews so my curiosity got the better of me, and I downloaded the trial. My, my, my, how right you all were with your comments. I hope that , and the developers respect, and learn from this forum. I purchase several games each week exclusively from BF because they have the best choices, customer service as well as a great forum, but even they can't always bat 1000, and today's choice certainly proves that.

Edited on 07/19/2011 at 1:10:34 PM PST

sandebeach
Shark
Shark
10,388 Posts

[Post New]by sandebeach on Jul 19, 11 1:30 PM
In regards to comments - reading these comments today has been more fun than trying to figure out this game! I would buy the posts in this column for a punchcard credit, instread of buying this game.

[Post New]by WiccanWoman530 on Jul 19, 11 2:33 PM
I'll just say ditto to 98% of all the posts so far and leave it at that. I would never want to break TOS, I like it here in the pond with all my fishie friends! I'm here to stay!

I think that gets my feeling across and still is positive (I tried anyway). Sorry but I just can't deal with the and format of HdO's games.

Happy Gaming all!

[Post New]by jayjaybear on Jul 19, 11 2:37 PM
There is ONE positive to Anuman and HdO games...the interface is always the same so I can tell it's from them just by looking at the screenshots and therefore avoid wasting my time and bandwidth downloading the demo.

Bpup
Manatee
Manatee
3,891 Posts

[Post New]by Bpup on Jul 19, 11 3:26 PM
As someone who actually likes this game and used a credit on it, it totally fascinates me how everyone here loves to jump on the "I hate HdO games" bandwagon as soon as BF releases one. For those of you who don't like HdO games, why did you even bother trying it? You know already that you don't like their games, and it's not as if it was a big secret that this is an HdO game - it had been previously mentioned in the Mudrock thread, the game was first released last year, and the first people who posted in this forum mentioned HdO. For those who haven't tried it, yet who are bothering to post that they won't play an HdO game - why bother?

I think that is what the mod is trying to point out by being respectful to the developer. If you play the game and you don't like it, post your comments. If you play the game and feel it is a rehash of the developer's previous games, post your comments. If you played the game and you feel that the developer just phoned it in, post your comments. The key point is trying out the game and then posting your comments. A bunch of "me-too" posts about how people don't like HdO games and won't try or buy one is not helpful to those of us who are trying to decide about this game. We don't know each other and don't know if our likes/dislikes mesh.

If BFG does have a legal deal with HdO to release their games, then we're going to be getting HdO games offered to us and all the complaints people have about HdO will be like spitting into the wind - it won't change anything. Remember that the "new game every day" is like a starving beast that must be fed everyday. BFG needs at least 365 new (to this site) games a year to live up to that motto. Every game is not going to be a gem, every game is not going to be in the genre we personally want, every game is not going to be by a developer whose games we love.

This isn't a great game by any means, but it's one of those adventure/HOGs that's useful for whiling away a few hours with a nice little variety of different things to do. No, the storyline doesn't compare to some of the truly great adventure/HOGs that we have available to us here at BFG, but then, a lot of storylines in the games are weak. But it does have a lot of things in it that I happen to like, so I'm willing to overlook aspects of it that might annoy - just like I do with all of the rest of the games I play.

Glasscats
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
17 Posts

[Post New]by Glasscats on Jul 19, 11 3:37 PM
I got the hang of entering my profile, but it took me 15 minutes to figure out what I needed to do on the map, and I needed a hint to do that! Then it got worse from there. I love HOG's, just about any HOG, but this one is beyond me. I got to the correct platform, then nothing.......I clicked on everything, and nothing happened. No subway, no train, and the hint button (2 hints left) wouldn't do anything. I give up.. gonna uninstall.

lucygirl7
Squid
Squid
68 Posts

[Post New]by lucygirl7 on Jul 19, 11 3:50 PM
From the beginning this game was so confusing -- I just didn't know what to do. After 10 minutes or more I finally navigated to the subway and after that I just gave up. This was really, really awful and only the creator of this game understands it. Don't try this game.

jpo656
Seahorse
Seahorse
32 Posts

[Post New]by jpo656 on Jul 19, 11 4:51 PM
Fishies who reviewed - thanks for
"taking one for the team ( school ?)"
Your pain is my gain .

ELadyG1013
Guppy
Guppy
133 Posts

[Post New]by ELadyG1013 on Jul 19, 11 4:52 PM
Hello Gamers Are the devs of this game really serious!! I mean give me a break ! First of all I have never heard of HDO games, second thing is please don't give me a map of a foreign place and expect me to know it like the back of my hand. I could hardly find my way out of that subway station, but I sure as heck could find my way back to the main menu and the EXIT !! I'm reading the reviews that you all are writing and I must say there is not a good or positive comment in the whole bunch about this game Sooooooo, I'm going to take your words for it, along with my subway horror and just delete the rest of my 41 minutes of playtime left.Thank you all for your feedback....Happy gaming!

cme550
Herring
Herring
318 Posts

[Post New]by cme550 on Jul 19, 11 5:12 PM
dobbiemijnboekje wrote:
cme550 wrote:HdO. No buy, no try. My comments. July was a horrible month for me for games. I've yet to use my credit I got last month, yeah the one that automatically takes it off when you purchase a game. It's very very rare that I don't find a SE to purchase by this late in the month.

I might end up being able to use 2 credits for a CE after all
When you want to keep the credit and you have a punchcard to buy a game, use the code and the credit stays on your account. Do you understand me, I hope?

ETA: spelling

Thank you very much, I will try that

[Post New]by cottoncandy2 on Jul 19, 11 6:10 PM
it totally fascinates me how everyone here loves to jump on the "I hate HdO games" bandwagon as soon as BF releases one

Not true -- and not fair. Everybody who hated it actually tried the demo I think before making their decision and got exactly what they expected. At least we gave them the benefit of the doubt.

snapnhiss
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,483 Posts

[Post New]by snapnhiss on Jul 19, 11 6:13 PM
I haven't tried the game and I apologize for posting here without a game related comment but I had to say something about that Murdoch/Mudrock conspiracy theory.

HAHAHAHAHA!

GEmory
Seahorse
Seahorse
35 Posts

[Post New]by GEmory on Jul 19, 11 7:21 PM
I'm going against the majority here, but I'll be using a credit on this game. Hd games aren't as exciting as games from other developers, but I find them a nice quiet way to while away a couple of hours. I don't find them anywhere near as bad as some players do. I do get a bit seasick at the sign-in screen, but I enjoy the change of pace from other games which make me think my way through problems and constantly go back and forth through scenes to solve puzzles.

[Post New]by Darthpanda on Jul 20, 11 5:16 AM
Is it me, or has there been a lot of venom on the forums lately? I've only recently started posting, but I've been a fan of big fish for about 2 years now.

This game...what can I say...I love Big Fish, I love hidden object games, I love Paris, I speak French, I love maps (even finding itty bitty subway stations), I don't mind looking for 15 eggplant, but I still wouldn't buy this game.

I had no experience with the developer before,but I have to wonder if they bothered to have testers rate it, and fixed anything before release. Even if it was made years ago...still! (As just one comparison, the Dream Day series started in 2007, and it is way better than this one.)

As many people have mentioned,the game play is just too annoying. It takes work to even figure out how to log into the game, and once you get there, everything is difficult to locate. From the subway station exits, to the hidden objects that are so well hidden as to be invisible, to the mini games with no instructions (like the art class!) it's more frustrating than fun, and so not a buy for me, sadly.

kat1117
Clownfish
Clownfish
956 Posts

[Post New]by kat1117 on Jul 20, 11 5:26 AM
Maybe BF should try "A NEW GAME EVERY FEW DAYS" instead of offering such unpopular games.

bbelle
Clownfish
Clownfish
795 Posts

[Post New]by bbelle on Jul 20, 11 6:03 AM
Bpup,

I agree with you wholeheartedly. I tried to quote you but don't know how. I believe in everyone having their own opinion about a game, developer or BFG without being nasty about it. I have tried all the HDO games and have bought some of them. They are as you say something to do to while away a few hours. I commend BigFish for giving us a variety of games to choose from so there should be a game or two to everyone" liking. I know I do enjoy so many of their games because I have bought so many of them. So I hope they will keep on with the way they are.

Bpup
Manatee
Manatee
3,891 Posts

[Post New]by Bpup on Jul 20, 11 6:25 PM
Thanks, bbelle.

One thing that I think is sort of funny about this game is everyone complaining how hard it is to figure out how get out of the subway, to figure out the painting puzzles (the game got me on that one, BTW ), etc. Yet people are always complaining that some of the offered H0 games are too simple, the items too easy to find, the sparklies taking all the fun out of looking for the items, the lack of challenge in the game, etc.

It seems to me that there is no happy medium here. We have a game here that is forcing us to think outside our normal comfort game playing zone because the developers are throwing us a playing curve - whether deliberately or through confused sense of how a game should be played, and people are complaining that they don't like the game because they can't figure it out. I thought the whole point of these adventure/H0 games is to try to stump us, to make us figure out WTH is going on, not to have everything always spelled out for us.

I do realize that this game is not to everyone's taste for one reason or another, and folks have the right to complain about whatever aspect of the game they want to. God knows that I complain about other games often enough. I'm not posting to merely to support this game developer; I've got no vested interest in either them or their games. It's just surprising to me that so many people are allowing themselves to be thwarted by the whole subway thing instead of taking it as a challenge to be overcome.

Go to: