Haunted Hotel 2 - Believe The Lies

midnight1864
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,170 Posts

Re:Haunted Hotel 2 - Believe The Lies

[Post New]by midnight1864 on Jan 3, 09 11:38 AM
Well I have been waiting for a good Ho game for awhile. I do like this game, or what I can play of it.... first time I tried to play I got black screen & had to shut down. 2nd time went through first scene at reception desk & then got same error as everyone is getting. 3rd time I tried (& it did not save game) started over., made past reception desk & second room hacked the computer & error came up again & game shut down! Tried a 4th time Game starts all over did'nt save & I am frustrated! So I came here to see what everyone else is saying.
How are y'all getting past the error message?? Any suggestions??? I'd really appreciate it. I was so hopeing for a good game to play today after getting home from hospital.. P.S It also took a long time to download. I have high speed cable dsl. I saw few others comment on that.
Please help me if you can!!! Thankyou in advance

vicalana
Stingray
Stingray
5,296 Posts

[Post New]by vicalana on Jan 3, 09 11:41 AM
Beautiful game - lovely music, good atmosphere and challenging finds. BUT very, very short. I couldn't believe I had come to the end already. Have to say, though, I only get HO games with atmospheric graphics now. I did enjoy the other ones, but I wouldn't bother buying them.

Edited on 01/03/2009 at 11:42:03 AM PST

JPoag
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
14 Posts

[Post New]by JPoag on Jan 3, 09 11:46 AM
mmaidenn42 wrote:I made it to the room where you put the puzzle pieces together and it changes into the room you are going to look for clues in. That was a nice twist

This is one of my favorite effects too.

Believe it or not, all three of the main developers are trolling these forums. We've been working day and night to put the game through Quality Assurance paces for a while now, and even during/after the last push to get it out the door, I have uploaded 3 new builds with fixes specific to your machines.

Keep in mind these problems are pretty rare, if you don't encounter any problems during the demo, then the rest of the game is fine. (Actually, probably the first 3 levels ;-)

Keep your comments coming, we love the feedback!

CYNTHIA
Stingray
Stingray
5,782 Posts

[Post New]by CYNTHIA on Jan 3, 09 11:55 AM
Just trialed HH2; didn't buy HH1; Found the Flashing lights off-putting. I think the graphics and sound good; if sound annoying you can turn it down. Got stuck on "cone" near start until i realized they meant the pinecone! Like the different meanings as with mouse or baton; for example. Had a hard time finding the frog and paper clip. They were small! I will really think about buying this game; won't be too short for me; i'm very slow so i'm glad it has no timer.

JPoag
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
14 Posts

[Post New]by JPoag on Jan 3, 09 12:05 PM
lordkalvan wrote:It would be nice if we could click through the cut scenes - particularly the very long one at the end of the game.

Right now, you can click out of a cut scene after waiting 9 seconds.

lordkalvan wrote:I would really really appreciate an option on the main menu to replay each of my minigames without having to redo the entire game. This will please those who love the minigames.

I really like this idea, and I'm not sure why we didn't do it. Some of the minigames won't make sense without the story. Perhaps as an un-lockable achievement for finishing the game?

midnight1864 wrote:I have high speed cable dsl...

The BFG servers have been getting laggy all morning. It took me 30 seconds to login to the forums when it usually takes less than 5.

About your error messages, we have a fix in the pipeline. I can't promise anything, but I've heard that Monday will see a new build.

JPoag
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
14 Posts

[Post New]by JPoag on Jan 3, 09 12:11 PM
CYNTHIA wrote:I will really think about buying this game; won't be too short for me; i'm very slow so i'm glad it has no timer.

One of my testers (my mother-in-law) is also really slow at these games. It's not that she's slow in general (man I hope she doesn't read this), but she takes her time.

I can't wait for her to test the full game out to tell me how she feels about it, but I'm going to have to wait because she's still playing MCF: Return to Ravenhearst!

hollie96
Herring
Herring
333 Posts

[Post New]by hollie96 on Jan 3, 09 12:22 PM
JPoag wrote:
hollie96 wrote:...I've had this problem downloading games quite a bit lately. Games that should take a few minutes are taking up to an hour. The only major change with my computer is that I switched to Firefox after the IE debacle. Ever since, it takes forever to download games. I can't say for sure that's the connection, but the two things do coincide.

Sometimes a spyware or adware infection will slow down your connection. Even though you aren't directly using IE, explorer still runs a lot of pieces of your computer (including your desktop).

Generally speaking, it's good to run a Spyware/Adware remover tool on your computer from time to time. BFG GAMES ARE CERTIFIED ADWARE FREE, but that doesn't mean that something else you or a family member downloaded is causing problems.

I run spyware/adware *very* frequently, so that is unlikely to be it. Also I am the only one to use this computer, hubby and kids use the other one, and I am very cautious what I download and where I go. I'm going to begin downloading games using IE rather than Firefox and see if there is any improvement in download times.

SSmitty
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,250 Posts

[Post New]by SSmitty on Jan 3, 09 12:30 PM
Just finished the game, after demo time was up had to start from beginning again.
Turned the sound down, but the coughing in the background was very annoying to me. I cough enough on my own (bronchitis). Found the hidden objects to be good, some were small but still findable. Liked the idea of different meanings on the HO's. The pinecone was a stumper in the first frame. Replayability-not much for the game doesn't change when you start over, same objects, same place. Music a little glitchy making it more annoying. Mini-games med. - easy. All in all a short game but non the less interesting. Story line not great, but not awful either.

BTW- Had no issues with downloading or starting.

1_of_5
Marlin
Marlin
8,238 Posts

[Post New]by 1_of_5 on Jan 3, 09 12:41 PM
Ok I just finished the demo. Nice. I did find one or two graphics choppy but otherwise had no problems. I made it to the room over the shed(?) after the car. Close to end? Just curious, I will eventually get this game but I still have last month's credit to spend and 7 wants with 3 possibles to choose from. In a few weeks I'll get another then I can choose 2 but by then I will no doubt have added to my list. or

ChristinaF
Clownfish
Clownfish
832 Posts

[Post New]by ChristinaF on Jan 3, 09 1:06 PM
For the first time with Big Fish, I had a bit a trouble downloading the game after purchasing it. The download was "interrupted" twice where I had to click "Try Again" to resume the download. And it did take a much longer time than usual to download a game of this size. So I guess the Big Fish servers are indeed a bit slow today.

After reading this entire thread, I started the game to see if I would encounter any of the error messages, black screens, etc., that some of you have suffered. However, I did not have any problems whatsoever in playing the game. I even shut the game down and restarted it to see if game play would resume as it should; and it did with no problems. I have played only a few scenes and have not played a mini-game yet, so I don't know if I will encounter some problem down the road, but so far all is going well for me with this game.

Regarding the music: I actually like the score (turned down a bit). And the ambient sounds are quite good except for the FBI guy's constant sighing in the background. That's kind of creepy and bordering on what you hear in a prank telephone call from a "breather."

My only complaint at this point has been mentioned by another poster. I also would like to be able to put my whole name in the User Profile box. I hate it when I type in my name only to have to shorten it. I usually use the name "Christina" in my profiles. Many games allow only "Christin" which is NOT my name. So I have to shorten it to "Christi" which is what I was called when I was a little girl. I can deal with that, but I don't like it. In this particular game, HH2, I can fit only "Christi" in the User Profile box. I cannot tell you how annoying that is. Please, developers, why in the world would you limit the user's name to only 7 characters. You could easliy give us a 10- to 12-character-delimited field for our names. That's a very simple code change of maybe a few characters--certainly not even a single line of code amongst a million lines of code.

As I play the game further, I will be glad to provide more feedback, as I have worked in QA/Testing depts. in several corporate IT divisions in major software development companies. And, as a user, I know what I like and what I don't like. To the Specialbit developers: you guys are doing an awesome thing by coming here to the BFG forums to conduct an easy, quick, and inexpensive (i.e., free) usability study. As a software developer myself, I'm impressed.

Cheers,
Christina

JPoag
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
14 Posts

[Post New]by JPoag on Jan 3, 09 1:11 PM
hollie96 wrote:

I run spyware/adware *very* frequently, so that is unlikely to be it. Also I am the only one to use this computer, hubby and kids use the other one, and I am very cautious what I download and where I go. I'm going to begin downloading games using IE rather than Firefox and see if there is any improvement in download times.

Yepp, yepp. I'm having trouble downloading it too. I use FireFox as well, and I rarely open IE unless I really, really have to.

Actually, I think I'm using the BFG Game Manager to download the game. According to my secret Spy++ tool, the BFG Game Downloader uses Internet Explorer anyways..

Hmm...

picman050967
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,226 Posts

[Post New]by picman050967 on Jan 3, 09 1:25 PM
Our servers were a bit slow today.
This was a big traffic day (the biggest ever) and during the period of peak traffic from 10am to 1pm PST we downloaded over 300,000 games (in just 3 hours, that is over 100 Terabits per hour for those techies out there!) and we did get some reports of slowdowns, but things should be better now. We have huge data centers in the east coast and the west coast, but you crazy gamers just keep downloading more and more games, so we need to add more servers to the several thousand we already have It is a good problem to have.

Picman

JPoag
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
14 Posts

[Post New]by JPoag on Jan 3, 09 1:32 PM
ChristinaF wrote:For the first time with Big Fish, I had a bit a trouble downloading the game after purchasing it. The download was "interrupted" twice where I had to click "Try Again" to resume the download. ... So I guess the Big Fish servers are indeed a bit slow today.

To come to think of it, I had a very similar problem with MCF: Return to Ravenhearst (lol, after buying the game and having to wait for the full download).

I know the servers are slow, and it's a little frustrating, but I can't help but secretly hope that the slowdown really is because of HH2 ;-)

ChristinaF wrote:
After reading this entire thread, I started the game to see if I would encounter any of the error messages, black screens, etc.,....but so far all is going well for me with this game.

We really did put it through some rigorous QA testing. Even then, we already have a fix for many if not all of the problems in the pipeline.

ChristinaF wrote:
My only complaint at this point has been mentioned by another poster. I also would like to be able to put my whole name in the User Profile box.....That's a very simple code change of maybe a few characters--certainly not even a single line of code amongst a million lines of code.

Yeah, QA found a bug with really long names and the simple solution was to limit it to 7 characters. I have another Idea using a fixed width font that perhaps will get a longer profile name.

And yeah, it's not even a whole line of code, but a number!

ChristinaF wrote:
As I play the game further, I will be glad to provide more feedback, as I have worked in QA/Testing depts.

"Given enough eyeballs, all bugs are shallow."
We really appreciate community feedback. For everyone of you that find a problem and tell us, there are 10 people who encounter the same problem and simply pass us over.

ChristinaF wrote:
To the Specialbit developers: you guys are doing an awesome thing by coming here to the BFG forums to conduct an easy, quick, and inexpensive (i.e., free) usability study. As a software developer myself, I'm impressed.

Big Fish Games and their customers deserve the biggest accolades. At this point, it's the least we can do in reparation for the community feedback.

bfogc
Squid
Squid
79 Posts

[Post New]by bfogc on Jan 3, 09 1:33 PM
I don' t know...I downloaded the trial version and the game keeps freezing up.I know it's not my PC because it's brand new. Anyone having the same problem?

Edited on 01/03/2009 at 1:35:09 PM PST

JPoag
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
14 Posts

[Post New]by JPoag on Jan 3, 09 1:34 PM
picman050967 wrote:Our servers were a bit slow today.
This was a big traffic day (the biggest ever) and during the period of peak traffic from 10am to 1pm PST we downloaded over 300,000 games (in just 3 hours, that is over 100 Terabits per hour for those techies out there!) and we did get some reports of slowdowns, but things should be better now. We have huge data centers in the east coast and the west coast, but you crazy gamers just keep downloading more and more games, so we need to add more servers to the several thousand we already have It is a good problem to have.

Picman

Not only the biggest download day this year, but the biggest EVER!

Thanks for the heads up!

Pckiller
Minnow
Minnow
267 Posts

[Post New]by Pckiller on Jan 3, 09 1:40 PM
picman050967 wrote:Our servers were a bit slow today.

Picman

off topic: great post for me. Thanks!

[Post New]by sweetpeajoy16 on Jan 3, 09 1:45 PM
bfogc wrote: I don' t know...I downloaded the trial version and the game keeps freezing up.I know it's not my PC because it's brand new. Anyone having the same problem?

Have you gotten the latest version of DirectX (a gaming driver or something like that)? I had a LOT of problems because of that recently. You can download it on the Microsoft website, but make sure you use IE to download it because you can't download it using Firefox or anything else.

gringojoy
Catfish
Catfish
1,739 Posts

[Post New]by gringojoy on Jan 3, 09 2:11 PM
I didn't have any problems downloading this game.
It is a little on the short side, but did I ever have fun!!!
Now I'm excited about the next game that they are working on!
And A BIG thank you to the developers for coming in here to get our feed back.
Hugs to all of you & BFG as well!!!
Joy

Elkestra
Dogfish
Dogfish
1,825 Posts

[Post New]by Elkestra on Jan 3, 09 2:26 PM
Well, I've just got round to finishing it. The storyline was short but sweet, with a nice hook for HH3 (would be nice to be able to run the story sections back-to-back at the end though). Too short? Perhaps, but there was a fair amount to do in each scene, and personally I thought not having to return to the same locations over and over (as part of the story) was a nice bonus - perhaps there could be something similar to Adventure Chronicles, where after completing locations, you can go back to them by choice and see if you can find everything? As someone else mentioned earlier, being able to return to the mini-games to replay them (after doing them once) would also tie into this.

I found the graphics beautifully done, and I did like the fact they tried to keep items at least vaguely close to normal size - I know it makes it harder (because the items are smaller), but personally I far prefer this to hunting for an item, only to discover after using a hint that I didn't 'see' it because it was unfeasibly giant in the scope of everything else (or vice-versa). The cut-scenes were also well drawn and animated.

I didn't turn the music or sound effects down in the end (though the master volume on my laptop was reasonably low anyway). I thought the atmospherics were nicely done, though they still have a little way to go compared with the atmospheric sounds of MCF. They weren't too obtrusive, but on the other hand, they did start to get a bit 'same old, same old' with the sighs, breathing, and coughs. I didn't really focus on the music much this time, though I'll do so when I replay it through.

Anyway, overall, a short but fun game once it worked (thank you so much to the developers for taking the trouble to do last minute bug-fixes and specific version variations for those of us having problems).

Hopefully in HH3, we'll be able to get a decent length name in there. Sounds like there's a problem with the engine coping with variable width fonts, if there are too many characters typed?

Anyway, I'm glad I spent a credit on it.

PS. I didn't have any particular problems downloading it from BFG. I've noticed in the past that sometimes the servers are a bit slow, but it didn't seem to be the case this time. Maybe I was just lucky.

Edited on 01/03/2009 at 2:29:23 PM PST

midnight1864
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,170 Posts

[Post New]by midnight1864 on Jan 3, 09 2:32 PM
A BIG thankyou to PCkiller!! That did work & I was able to play & finish the game. I think it is Awesome that y'all are in the forums swiming around & taking in our feedback & replying to us personally!! Very good for customer service!
Thanks to picman for the heads up on the biggest download day ever!!(explaining why the download was so slow)
As for the game I did like it, graphics were good music a little glitchy & all the coughing & heavy breathing was a bit much. It was rather short I found myself wishing the game wasn't over & wanting to go on). That would be a good thing for the developers," always leave em wanting more!" I was dissapointed in the story line,or lack there of... I thought that could have been done better. Mini games a bit on the easy side, I like a bit more of a challenge. There were so many items in all the rooms, I wonder why we had to keep looking for the same items over & over. Nice twist on the "cones" Liked the opening scene. Dug the car & the play on " Plymoth" (Plymouth)
All & all a good game, I dont feel there is any replayability, as nothing changes. but for 6.99. Not a bad deal.
I'm looking forawrd to the sequel!

Go to: