CiChDa
Dogfish
Dogfish
1,972 Posts

Re:Reviews for Hidden Expedition: The Uncharted Islands Collector's Edition

[Post New]by CiChDa on Aug 18, 11 10:53 AM
What a great game....art work, ****'s, mini games, music....all was a definate class act! I just finished the game and am looking forward to the bonus content in the CE. Well, worth the monies and a 'blast' to play! Please make sure you catch the sense of humor in the game - with saying that, You really need to read the journal as you go....Not too many games leave me smiling, but this one did! Sure glad I bought it! Off to play the bonus, enjoy other fishies.

jjj13
Squid
Squid
68 Posts

[Post New]by jjj13 on Aug 18, 11 2:27 PM
Mixed feelings about this game. Some of graphics wonderful. Loved the multi-layered hidden object scenes. Most of the puzzles were good though the lengthiness of the instructions made some complicated. Went to the strategy guide a few times only to find had been trying right thing had just not clicked in exactly the right spot.

Some of hidden object scenes were so hard to see had to use hints. Final chapter boring just wanted to finish by this point. My advice would be to wait for the SE version of this game.

tyyllls
Starfish
Starfish
51 Posts

[Post New]by tyyllls on Aug 19, 11 8:56 AM
I haven't quite finished, but I do love this game! I admit I have to check the strategy guide often (and I wish I didn't have to go to Menu to access it) but that's about the only thing I've found that I don't care for. I think what puts this game over the top for me is the humor in it!! I agree- read the journal! I love the chickens and their 'hairdos', and the note about them shows a cute drawing. Replay value for me is good because of the humor. I want to play again to see what I may have missed the first time around, and enjoy what I have read again. Keep them coming !!!

tyyllls
Starfish
Starfish
51 Posts

[Post New]by tyyllls on Aug 19, 11 8:59 AM
I haven't quite finished, but I do love this game! I admit I have to check the strategy guide often (and I wish I didn't have to go to Menu to access it) but that's about the only thing I've found that I don't care for. I think what puts this game over the top for me is the humor in it!! I agree- read the journal! I love the chickens and their 'hairdos', and the note about them shows a cute drawing. Replay value for me is good because of the humor. I want to play again to see what I may have missed the first time around, and enjoy what I have read again. Keep them coming !!!

NANONAN
Squid
Squid
79 Posts

[Post New]by NANONAN on Aug 19, 11 11:07 AM
After a few minutes of demo I thought - this game is so hard it's annoying! Nearly gave up but persevered as CE games should be really good. **** scenes are very tricky, used hint after hint. Box puzzle took so long I had no idea what my original objective was, then time ran out. Won't buy CE as I'm still not sure I even like it, but will wait for SE and may get it then - just to see how much of a challenge it really is. Played in expert mode btw.

Wakame
Catfish
Catfish
1,584 Posts

[Post New]by Wakame on Aug 19, 11 11:43 AM
I was going to be good.
I was going to avoid buying CE games.
Then I tried this one......

...and I HAD to buy!!
Wow! Is this different or what!?
As several fishies have said the box puzzle is a real brain teaser, and the other puzzles so far have been that little bit different from the usual.

Now its installed I'm off to play the full CE ( that's my weekend sorted!).

slepless777
Guppy
Guppy
121 Posts

[Post New]by slepless777 on Aug 19, 11 6:34 PM
I'm sorry I bought the CE. Should have waited for the SE. It's a good game, but it gets really frustrating at times. The puzzles can be quite annoying and complicated. I uninstalled 5 minutes into the bonus game, that's how fed up I was with it all.

rlk0045
Minnow
Minnow
262 Posts

[Post New]by rlk0045 on Aug 19, 11 6:53 PM
This game was not much fun for me. The game was way to short for a Collectors Edition game. The hidden objects were to small. I felt the game should have been at least five times longer than it was. THE GAME WAS TO SHORT IN LENGTH!

[Post New]by mostly_nameless on Aug 19, 11 7:39 PM
kris_cross48 wrote:I can't really explain it..but I really don't much like this game. I hate being negative..especially with all the trouble we've had getting games to run and all...and this one runs fine, so far. But I bought it and kinda went.ugh-ick inside. That make sense?

Either my vision has gone to pot in one day, or these HOG scenes are hard to see. Especially the underwater ones..I always hate going underwater. Anyone else get the heebeegeebees when the water level cam e up and filled the screen?
ANyway, hope th rest of you are having a better time..I wish I hadn't bought the CE...but live and learn.
kris

I feel pretty much the same way. I feel kind of bad complaining because the game did play okay and was pretty to look at for the most part, but it wasn't very exciting.

And, I disliked the underwater parts because most of the stuff was so hard to see. I did think the scene that was double-wide was an interesting concept, since you had to guess which side of the scene the items were in.

Oh, and the bonus play was a snore fest.

The game would've been an okay time-filler at SE price, but I think it was overpriced as a CE.

cindiliz
Starfish
Starfish
50 Posts

[Post New]by cindiliz on Aug 19, 11 8:50 PM
I found this game to be a bit disappointing and really not worth the Collectors Edition price. The graphics were awesome, but the English was poor, the mouse was insensitive, the games were counter-intuitive - making them less than satisfying, and the music was repetitive. It's the first time that a could hardly wait for the game to be over. I didn't even bother with the extra play. I think this second-in-a-series must have been produced by a different team.

[Post New]by crosschris on Aug 20, 11 5:57 AM
cannot say I am impressed with this game .I bought it because I am a fan of the hidden expedition games and it is a total waste of money.It is totally boring, so much so I have stopped playing it half way through and somehow I do not think I will be tempted to return

erigby
Marlin
Marlin
8,482 Posts

[Post New]by erigby on Aug 20, 11 8:31 AM

I thought I might go ahead and write a review since I'm going to be playing this game for the first time for the rest of my natural life. This is a really well put together game that has a lot going for it, e.g., outstanding graphics, realistic sound effects, and a sense of humor that I've enjoyed so far.

However.....the mini-games are sometimes an exercise in frustration. (Thank God for reset buttons.) On a few of them, even after selecting the huh? button, I still didn't have a clue and had to resort to the SG where I learned, naturally, the answers on the ones I was looking for were random. The object scenes, with all the layering you have to pass through to get to the next items, were great fun and a mechanic I remember from Devil's Triangle. But, it can step on your last nerve when you have to place an inventory tool on a certain object 20 times before it'll accept your directions. You simply can't advance in the game until you get it just right.

Music? I'm not going to run out and buy the soundtrack but it fits rather well, even though the eight monotonous chords played on a (piano?) while you're trying to figure something out had me going to the option tab to lower the volume.

Plot? Well, it is set in the Bermuda Triangle, so I've suspended belief for the duration of the game. The sense of humor I mentioned above plays well with all the bizarre characters that inhabit the place.

If I wasn't sitting here with a facial tic and loosing my hair from stress-related game playing, I would probably give it 5 stars. But, in my present condition, it'll have to be 4 stars instead. (Btw, the only other game that produced these afflictions was 13th Skull, particularly the goings-on in that dreaded swamp.)

syleki
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
19 Posts

[Post New]by syleki on Aug 20, 11 11:05 AM
Worst game ever. I read the reviews, I must be missing something. The whole thing is a muddle. I bought it without a trial, big mistake.

nwl43
Stingray
Stingray
4,931 Posts

[Post New]by nwl43 on Aug 20, 11 5:14 PM
I guess this is more of a comment than a review, but I didn't see a comment thread so here goes.

I'm not sorry I bought this, but I didn't think it was as much fun as Devil's Triangle. It seemed sort of "dumbed down" to me. The story line was not as compelling as Devil's Triangle. Spoiler: I was really disappointed that they didn't answer the question of whatever happened to Delia's mother.

The most frustrating thing to me were the picky hot spots. By that I mean trying to use an item that your brain was telling you had to go there. After numerous attempts, it would turn out that the item was the correct one to use there, but first attempts got you the message that "this item cannot be used here, etc". That's just unnecessarily confusing. Surely they could have come up with some way to avoid that.

[Post New]by undrgrndgirl on Aug 20, 11 6:06 PM
wow...save your money on this one...in fact wait til it's on sale for 2.99...not nearly as good as any of the previous hidden expedition titles...even titanic! really disappointed with recent bigfish buys. i'm going to have to learn not to jump at "collector's editions" anymore as they are just getting those of us who like these games to pay twice as much for them without getting twice as much in return.

endofmonth
Guppy
Guppy
135 Posts

[Post New]by endofmonth on Aug 20, 11 7:07 PM
Finished and enjoyed the actual game. However, the CE bonus play was short and completely unnecessary to the story...it was just some busy work to fill an hour, after the story was finished. I do wish I'd waited for the SE.

lunachan
Guppy
Guppy
171 Posts

Better not be any spiders! LOL!

[Post New]by lunachan on Aug 20, 11 11:09 PM
pinmom wrote:Seems like lots of these games have spiders somewhere. Pinmom doesn't like spiders, Pinmom wants a holster to carry lots of spider killer, Pinmom has nightmares about spiders! LOL!
Seriously, it does sound like n interesting game so I will give it a try! But just saying, no spiders please!

Lunachan agrees with everything Pinmom said! I will skip a puzzle with a spider in it even if I know how to do it! So I share your pain
....*Now also looking around corners of room... ! great there is one

Keziah000
Lobster
Lobster
93 Posts

[Post New]by Keziah000 on Aug 23, 11 3:55 AM
I became a devotee of BFG because of Hidden Expedition Amazon. It was my first ever computer game and I still love it as one of my faves! Then the brilliant Devil's Triangle - which was fantastic as an exciting mystery adventure. While this one as far as graphics and animations far outstrips all others, it felt a little torn between a kids game and adult game, whereas the original felt very much like an adult game. Some puzzles were light on clear instructions, others were very easy. The story also seemed a little disjointed, and juvenile. SPOILER: But - I love the little tiny scuba man working on the Mona thingo! He looked so real!!

I'm always sorry they haven't kept (or built on) the theme music of the original Hidden Expedition Amazon, (as they do with brilliant Puppetshow) or kept to that wild Amazon jungle feel, especially the bugs (which make a brief show in a **** scene at the end) but overall, it still has an adventure style feel though not as strong as previous. Would love to see an updated version of the original HE Amazon, in this quality and finish. How about it BF?

vicalana
Stingray
Stingray
5,296 Posts

I Didn't Like the Game At All

[Post New]by vicalana on Aug 23, 11 9:27 AM
Dominick_Fontana wrote:Well, I finished the game and the verdict is: Two Thumbs down! I see a lot of people love the game, but I didn't like it at all. I posted my initial reaction in a prior post and my opinion has not changed. The game simply didn't appeal to me. The funny thing is that I liked all the prior Hidden Expedition games better than this one.

Even though many people love the game. you will note that it has its detractors and I agree with what they said. The multi-level mini-games were a turn-off for me. Yes, it was good that they had detailed instructions for each game, but the mini-games were too complicated for me. The sign of a good game is: Easy to Learn; Hard to Master. For me, I had to read the instructions for the mini-games numerous times just to figure out what I was supposed to be doing. I love a challenge, but for me the games weren't challenging; they were tedious and frustrating. Their motto is: Hard to Learn; Hard to Master.

Here's an example. This game has 3 stages. Look at the 4 big balls and click on them. Then note their symbols. Then rotate the 8 smaller balls so that each big ball has the correct symbol on each side of it. After you complete stage one, then 32 pebbles will appear in the middle of the circle. Now, move and rotate these pebbles so that each of the 8 smaller balls has the correct TWO symbols on both its left and right. After this stage, then a keyboard will appear. Type in the correct code to complete stage 3 and the mini-game. HUH?

The graphics were okay, but they are standard fare for all the newer games. Nothing special. I also didn't like that there was no talking. There were many HOG scenes and they were all tough. I had to use too many hints.

The funny thing is the part of the game I liked the best was the Bonus Chapter, although it was very short. The Bonus Chapter was out of the water.

It seems that there is no middle ground. You will probably either love the game or hate it. For me, I hated it.

Actually I have to agree. Really enjoyed this game at first, but AGAIN with HE am finding the whole thing is getting very tedious. Brilliant artwork/graphics, but I don't think I'll buy another one of this series.

[Post New]by rebeccartist on Aug 23, 11 3:20 PM
I'm going to go against the last bit of tide here in the reviews to say that I thoroughly enjoyed this game. I played with my wife, and we put it on the nice, big television, and had an absolute blast for any number of hours (didn't count). We stayed up way too late one night because we couldn't stop playing. We are long time Adventure Gamers (20 years); we like things difficult; we like puzzles the harder the better.

Overall, I give this a big thumbs up.

A few times things got a little tedious, but I've long ago given up the presumption that every single part of an Adventure Game is going to be fabulous. If I can get 80% fabulous out of a game I am happy.

My first of only two complaints was the (apparently necessary) pixel-hunt in regard to using an inventory item. Either the design team put a newbie on that bit of programming, or they're under the erroneous notion that making sure one's cursor is pointing to X pixel instead of Z pixel 3 mm to the right of X = a challenge. It's not a challenge, it's a (excuse my language) FU to the game player. If you believe otherwise, as a game designer, you are wrong.

Example, out of many instances (SPOILER): Take scissors to cut chicken off the fishing line. 3 minutes later, after clicking scissors everywhere on that line, and every part of scissors, turns out the "correct" placement of scissors was to put the HANDLE of the scissors on the chicken's chest. WHA?? Yes, that's not a challenge, that is extremely annoying.

There is no need to be annoying when you have designed such a good game. Don't annoy and frustrate people for the mere sake of presenting frustration, simply because you have that power. What's the point?

Second complaint: there was another instance when I felt the game designers reneged their contract to play fair. At one point in the game it appeared that we grabbed something (into the inventory) that we needed. And yet when we went to the spot where we planned to use it the thing was NOT in our inventory. We spent 5 rather terrified minutes thinking that there was a bug in the game and everything we'd done up to that point would be lost and that we were, basically, out of luck. Why did the designers make that decision-- to keep that thing out of the inventory altogether? There was not point to it, other than to freak out the player. Again -- do NOT alienate the players, folks!

Play fair -- it's not necessary to do otherwise.

Go to: