Re:Reviews for Twisted Lands: Insomniac Collector's Edition

[Post New]by cleokelani on Aug 23, 11 9:07 PM
First one was just great ,very interesting story and never got bored ,I will buy this one as well ,that is for sure, I like it and hope to be good as the first one .For those who are confusing about the story ,it will be good if you play the first one as well (still rememeber it very good) and then all will be clear,happy gaming for all !

MsNona1126
Dolphin
Dolphin
6,880 Posts

[Post New]by MsNona1126 on Aug 24, 11 9:16 AM
Loved it!! Did the demo and now purchasing it. Story got me hooked to find out what happens. Reminds me of a mystery that I have to finish. Off to finish playing. Hope all have a swimming fun time!!!

[Post New]by feenix2011 on Aug 26, 11 8:56 PM
I have no idea what story line I just played! I played the bonus game and have no idea who the characters were or what the heck happened at the end of the game. I enjoyed alot of the main game. I personally do not like the Hidden Obj. part of any game. To me it is just a means of getting something you need to continue the game. I can never understand the people who say the **** part is too easy. I just want to get through it and on with the interesting part of the game. Anyway, I did like this game but feel like I don't even know what character I was for the most part!!
But, I bought it and I'm not sorry.

nipper38
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
16 Posts

[Post New]by nipper38 on Aug 26, 11 10:12 PM
I really enjoyed the first one. When I saw this one I tried the demo. It seemed interesting. I bought it and I did enjoy it. The graphics are great. The HOG were a little easy and the puzzles not really difficult. But the game as a whole is fun to play. And I like it when there is enough to a game that you don't finish it in an hour. Especially when it is a CE.

You definitely should play the first one before this. Even having played the first one, I was a little confused with this one. I'm still not sure I totally know what is going on. I'm thinking there will be a third one and it will bring all of it together. The bonus chapter threw me for a loop. Not sure what that was about. Guessing it's the lead in for #3.

That's just my 2 cents.

Edited on 08/26/2011 at 10:12:55 PM PST

[Post New]by acecyberwitch on Aug 27, 11 7:07 AM
got this on strength of demo didnt develop as much as i'd hoped end of main game is weak end of extra game better but i am not sure it was worth the extra credit

eedebeep
Guppy
Guppy
181 Posts

Does this story make any sense? Plot Spoiler!

[Post New]by eedebeep on Aug 28, 11 3:47 PM
PLOT SPOILER OK, just went back and played the first again and then this one again. hidden objects, games length, graphics all good. nice overtone of creepiness. but the plot........ WAY too disjointed. Let's see... he somehow was exposed to reptile virus plant while diving and is now reptile/human/zombie king. No wait, she killed him due to his reptile virus. no wait she's a bus driver that killed a busload of kids. no wait, she and kids were kidnapped for reptile virus experiments. And where the hospital/doctor thingy of modern day fits with no one else but reptile/human/zombies around....

Please developers, make a third. I would LOVE to see you try to pull this all together.

Edited on 08/28/2011 at 3:49:16 PM PST

autumn_leaf
Shark
Shark
12,267 Posts

[Post New]by autumn_leaf on Aug 29, 11 10:47 AM
Okay.....i finally got a chance to demo this.....aaaw man....

IT"S GREAT!!!!

Scared the Carp outta me in a few spots.....your perception of reality is royally messed with....and you go through the game on the tenterhooks of excitement because you are wondering what is real and what isn't ......and frankly......either reality is a little to exciting for my blood pressure....

(so you know I will buy it!!)

It's fun......has hog games in it but it's an adventure game more.....and you have so much fun....definately worth the CE price....the previous game was exciting too ....but this one is more soo!!!!

Thanks for another exciting installment!!!

[Post New]by hydrogibbon on Aug 30, 11 11:56 AM
I just finished this and enjoyed the look of it and the game play but it has to be the most convoluted, confusing game ever made. The bonus chapter doesn't lead into another installment as some have mentioned. It actually is a prequel to the story. This is a well made game but the story leaves a lot to be desired.

WilJul
Stingray
Stingray
5,670 Posts

[Post New]by WilJul on Sep 1, 11 10:54 PM
I played this game in Expert Mode and consider myself an average player. The main game took about 3 1/2 to 4 hours with the Bonus adding on just under an hour. This seems to be pretty standard, but I definitely prefer getting a little more bang for my buck - 5 to 6 hours for a main game should be about right. So slightly disappointed on that front.

Puzzles were rather simple all the way through, with some being slightly more challenging, but nothing that made me want to pull my hair out. HOGs were fairly easy as well, definitely no junk piles, which I'm sure most folks will appreciate, but it does simplify the difficulty level.

I enjoy the dark and spooky games - the darker and spookier the better. This one was definitely of the genre but not too terribly spooky at any point. It tried though - must be tough trying to please all players.

The story line was ridiculously confusing. I'm not sure what exactly is going on. I played the first game and remember it, though not well, and this game did nothing to clear up the story - in fact I feel more confused than ever.

The SG knows which chapter you are on in the game and opens to that chapter when you access it! Nice feature and well appreciated!

The journal and task list definitely help keep you on track, I didn't really ever need the SG because I could look at those items and figure out where to go next. I used the hint button when I was too thick to figure out I already had what I needed in my inventory and it pointed me directly to the area I needed to go (after following some directional arrows first) so I figured "Oh! Maybe I could try this inventory item here! Doh!" So that feature worked perfectly for me. Those three features resulted in rather smooth game play.

Though this may seem a mostly negative review, I did enjoy the game play, and will probably play it again, if only to try to figure out the story! This will not be in my list of favorites, but it was an entertaining way to spend a couple of hours! If you're pinching pennies and saving for really special games, you may want to hold off for the SE. But if you're looking for a game to occupy you for a while over the weekend, this one fits the bill nicely.

catfishsue
Seahorse
Seahorse
34 Posts

[Post New]by catfishsue on Sep 3, 11 1:13 PM
I just finished the game and loved it. It does continue on from the last Twisted Lands, and if you like the far out weird story lines you will love it too. I read a lot of disgruntled reviews, and I just don't know why. Anyway to each his or her own. Just my 2 bits.

vingilot
Dolphin
Dolphin
6,175 Posts

[Post New]by vingilot on Sep 4, 11 10:34 AM
This is the first Mac CE I've done that didn't have full access to the Strategy Guide during the demo. Not sure if that's because it's a demo, or because the SG is designed not to open the other chapters until you reach those levels. I would assume it's the latter, as Mac CE downloads are the full game, not a sample version as with PCs. The SG is also different in that it will give you the written instructions, but you can also click on play button to watch the video. For newbies, that's great, but way too much instruction for anyone else.

The game lives up to its name - very twisted. I enjoyed the first game a lot and am interested to see what the wife was up to that whole time the husband was trying to find her. The going back and forth between apparently awake and apparently dreaming realities is a trip. The journal keeps these two lines separate. HOGs are not too difficult, but there is a penalty for mis-clicks. Puzzles so far are extremely easy. No real head scratching.

I was about halfway through the first chapter when the hour demo ended. There are five chapters and a bonus chapter, so if all chapters take the same amount of time, it appears to be a decent length. Without full access to the SG, it's hard to tell.

I'll be waiting on the SE for this one.

[Post New]by Old_Man_River on Sep 7, 11 7:32 PM
My only complaint is that this is a conglomeration of games I have already purchased.
I'm a litle disapointed that BF would charge CE prices for a basic cut and past game.

silverink
Minnow
Minnow
200 Posts

[Post New]by silverink on Sep 8, 11 10:21 AM
I really enjoyed this game! It was a great sequel to the first one and was actually a better game in terms of adventure elements and puzzles. It had a great creepy story that continued from the first game, excellent graphics, music and adventure elements and some good puzzles. I really felt involved the whole game and also enjoyed the bonus which was a prequel to the story, although that bonus section was really all you got for the CE price, as there were no wallpapers or other meaningful extras. But I always like something that adds to the story in the bonus, and this did add some background, so all in all, I was glad I got the CE. There were some things left over in the main game that were unexplained, so I hope there will be a Part 3 to this series.

[Post New]by scramdad on Sep 10, 11 4:45 PM
Hi!
I'm quite new at these games & do enjoy them as a sad old adult!. This one seems a bit poor to start with -but soon gets very addictive.
Trouble is, I've finished the game & gone on to the bonus game -(there seems a weak link to start with).
So, I get to the end ..... (very enjoyable!) ... ONE FINAL MOVE TO MAKE ....AND

GAME OVER!!!!!

Totally enjoyable BUT ... is that the end??
I've spent DAYS trying to re-write it.
(I can't say much more without ruining it!!)

I'D STILL HIGHLY RECOMMEND IT !!

Beingknown
Salmon
Salmon
2,670 Posts

[Post New]by Beingknown on Oct 1, 11 3:11 AM
I found this such an enjoyable game! It had just the right amount of difficulty, lots of puzzles, (that I actually found puzzling ), and also entertaining mini-games. Great graphics, haunting music, spooky sound effects, lots of places to discover and explore. An actual delight to play.

dlcoyte
Guppy
Guppy
118 Posts

[Post New]by dlcoyte on Jan 1, 12 2:50 PM
Okay, Ive played the game when it first came out. I bought it and got through it.

Im doing it again and remember the one stupid thing. Im in expert mode and they have those idiot RED Ribbons all over.

Gee, why dont they just come right out and say, "Deb, go up the tree to the treehouse, oh and over theres another Red ribbon... go there too !!!! I played this already and Im stuck but refuse to use strat gd or hint. If I did it once I should get it again. Amazing how a wk or days later you have items and cant remember what to use it on or an item that needs something and you dont know where that item is! lol Deb

SassiAngel
Seahorse
Seahorse
24 Posts

[Post New]by SassiAngel on Jan 11, 12 8:18 AM
I have both Twisted Lands games... Shadow Town and Insomniac, but the Standard Editions. I've played them both several times, but still can't quite figure out what's going on. I'm seriously considering upgrading to the Collector's Editions on these two. Is it worth it?? Is there a lot more game time and is it clearer what's going on with the story line? Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

crowtrobot
Herring
Herring
318 Posts

[Post New]by crowtrobot on Aug 4, 12 12:08 PM
I got thirty minutes through the demo. When I ended up at the very place I quit. My inventory was empty so if I had had anything in it before the end, it was gone. What was the point of playing the first half hour if you end up where you started? I've played mental hospital setting games before but this one takes the cake for confusion.

JadedBlonde
Lobster
Lobster
82 Posts

[Post New]by JadedBlonde on Aug 5, 12 12:42 AM
Old_Man_River wrote:My only complaint is that this is a conglomeration of games I have already purchased.
I'm a litle disapointed that BF would charge CE prices for a basic cut and past game.

Well, yeah, good point now that you say it.

I played this demo for about 40 minutes and was bored. I agree with those that said the story was just too disjointed, and as soon as I saw "what" the doctor was (trying not to spoil here....) and that same Insane Asylum/crash and get knocked out/evil people holding you against your will Plot I knew the whole story. ANyone love "Fight Club" as much as I do? "When you're an insomniac, everything looks like a copy of a copy of a copy." When you play every HOG/Adventure/Big File game there is on BF, everything gets to be a copy of a copy of a copy

The Hidden Object scenes were so easy it was just click click and half the stuff was right in front of you, center screen.

It just seemed like been there, done that, and for a CE it just wasn't one that grabbed me. I'll pass

STL531
Minnow
Minnow
267 Posts

[Post New]by STL531 on Aug 5, 12 9:56 AM
SassiAngel wrote:I have both Twisted Lands games... Shadow Town and Insomniac, but the Standard Editions. I've played them both several times, but still can't quite figure out what's going on. I'm seriously considering upgrading to the Collector's Editions on these two. Is it worth it?? Is there a lot more game time and is it clearer what's going on with the story line? Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

I can only respond about CE content for the second one... and I'd say it's not worth it. The additional game play amount is relatively decent in length, although not particularly special, but it certainly doesn't help explain the story line. If anything, it just added questions. (It is not related to the Angel story line--it's something that takes place in 1920 around the origin of whatever is happening.)

Go to: