Pckiller
Minnow
Minnow
267 Posts

Re:Reviews for Sonya Collector's Edition

[Post New]by Pckiller on Sep 6, 11 2:46 AM
uwflossi wrote:I like this game. But the SG is not good. I have to go to the first page every time I want to have help. I have to remember the capital and page. That is not much help. Glad, I did not buy it. Happy gaming

Actually in the updated build SG saves the opened page.

crowtrobot
Herring
Herring
318 Posts

Not even close to the level of a good CE

[Post New]by crowtrobot on Sep 6, 11 3:26 PM
megwoman25 wrote:
eedebeep wrote:What a disappointment. Easy hidden objects, easy games, borrrrrrrring and insipid story, pathetic way to achieve victory at the end.Game is way too short.
ugh ugh ugh yawn.

To top it off, there is a glitch concerning the troll in the bonus game so I can't finish that scene, and I don't even care!
I have been buying CEs without trialing them, trusting BFG, but from now on I'm trialing them first.

Maybe suitable for grade school kids. For an adult, C-. Don't bother.

I cant believe you buy CEs without trialling them!! I mean to each their own but thats a lot of money to shell out on a game especially with whats being released recently lol Im very picky though and I like CEs to be a certain way in order to pay double for them BUT during this CE sale we had couple weeks ago, I bought a bunch at the 6.99 price and honestly I felt like if I had paid double for any of those games, I would have been an unhappy customer! especially since bonus games now seem like they complete the story and are not just a BONUS at the end. It makes me wary to even buy games as SE's because it might be missing the ending. Ive found most of the games that have super hype about them (people talked about this for weeks) are usually the ones that let me down the most. I know a lot of people dont have time to trial every game but at least read the reviews and REALLY read them. I find I agree with CasualGran almost every time so if she says a review isnt up to par then Ive saved time you know whereas I dont always agree with TeamSD even though their reviews are good to other people. Sorry to use names in here. Just trying to make a point. =) I have tons of time though to try all the games but not everyone does. id just be careful throwing $14 on a game I havent even tried especially with the technical glitches like in Awakening. Man I wanted that game.

I totally, totally agree with you. I always play the trial/demo version first, then read the forum's technical issue and review threads before making a decision. I would never buy a game (not even SE) if I had not tried it first, no matter who made it.

Milo13
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
18 Posts

[Post New]by Milo13 on Sep 7, 11 9:01 PM
The graphics were charming and reminiscent of The Awakening series, too bad some of the game work was so tedious.

I'd definitely recommend waiting for the standard edition. The extra game play involved visiting the same 7 or 8 scenes at least 4 times! Yuck. I hate it when the developers think all that going back & forth means "Score! Extended game play." Yeah, it does, but it's monotonous, tedious game play.

Still, being a sucker that I am for cute graphics and scenery, I'm glad I got it - I just wish I waited to use my freebie token on it.

netnanna
Guppy
Guppy
146 Posts

[Post New]by netnanna on Sep 8, 11 3:29 PM
LONG good game, well developed. Collectors edition well worth the money, and for those who complain about the price, 3 game credits reduces all other games to half price, a good saving.
I was unable to play it through BigFish, who refunded my money, but I contacted SpecialBit games, I have downloaded and successfully played this game. So, the error is definitely something in BigFish's pond.

NANONAN
Squid
Squid
79 Posts

[Post New]by NANONAN on Sep 17, 11 11:55 AM
Interesting game. Few too many HOG scenes for my liking, also hate FROG scenes. V. slow to move between locations. Liked the plot tho and puzzles were fun, but a bit easy. Probably not a buy for me, but only from personal taste. All in all I think it's a good game for the right people. Good graphics, no running or downloading issues and music acceptable.

hannah57
Clownfish
Clownfish
760 Posts

[Post New]by hannah57 on Sep 21, 11 2:26 PM
This game has way too many hidden object scenes for me. I tried it for about 30 min. then I stopped and deleted it.

[Post New]by booksnspurs on Sep 21, 11 7:34 PM
I really wanted this game at first, but way too many HOG piles for my taste, it would be good for those who like that sort of thing. I was looking forward to a game that was not so dark and dreary, plus the graphics seem to be excellent.

I've seen a few comparisons to the Dream Chronicles, but none of the games in the DC series have HOG piles to plow through, plus the mini games are pretty challenging, specifically in the first 3 games. Unfortunately those types of games are harder to come by anymore. Thank the gods for the new Awakening release!

Cobweb55
Minnow
Minnow
256 Posts

[Post New]by Cobweb55 on Sep 22, 11 3:01 PM
I Beta'd this a way long time ago and remembered liking it and giving it good reviews, but then I bought and played it and found I didn't overly care for it. I didn't mind all the **** scenes, they were pretty well done, but what I disliked was all the running back and forth to the same **** areas... there were so many other places to put **** scenes without all the redundancy. Bonus was a big let down.. for all the reasons previously stated.

Not sorry I bought it, probably no replay value for me...

mst3kr
Guppy
Guppy
115 Posts

[Post New]by mst3kr on Sep 22, 11 6:38 PM
After 45 mintues of the demo...

This game gets 3 B's in my book: Beautiful But BORING! This is all together a fine game, but the lulling music and slowly changing scenes (along with a 'meh' story), I swear I almost fell asleep. Easy enough puzzles (almost too easy), and tons of HOG scenes (almost too many), this is a fine enough game if you absolutely must redeem a punchcard reward. Otherwise, I'd say pass.

mcurty
Dolphin
Dolphin
6,991 Posts

[Post New]by mcurty on Sep 26, 11 4:47 PM
I played the Developer's Edition from their site and had no technical issues with the game. It played without any glitches.

I was surprised at how well I liked this game overall. I thought it would be too easy and boring after reading some of the reviews, but it was not for me. I enjoyed the game and thought it was a very good length. The bonus was especially long and enjoyable to play.

The puzzles in the beginning were very easy, but they got more difficult as the game progressed to where the ones in the Bonus edition were quite challenging.

H0 scenes were beautifully done with visible objects to find -- no tiny, impossible, blended objects.

Enjoyable storyline, great graphics and fun game play describe my experience with the game. I also like the great hint system within the game. Usually it led me in the right direction to figure out what to do next.

Thanks for the great game, Specialbit!

FORTUNATUS
Clownfish
Clownfish
883 Posts

[Post New]by FORTUNATUS on Sep 28, 11 4:07 AM
Bought the SE and now wish I'd have purchased the CE as I didn't want it to end, lol. Absolutely gorgeous graphics... simply one of the best in terms of eye candy in a looonnngggg time.

Took me a few screens to really get 'into' the gameplay and then I was hooked.

H0's are not typically my main focus nor do I derive exclusive enjoyment from H0's in games (ie. at worst tolerate them); however, in Sonya, the graphics are so clear, crisp, charming, unique, and enticing, and totally appropriate to the theme of gameplay, that I looked forward to each one and relished the intricate and exquisite and lovely beauty and/or bazarre nature of every scene. Most all the mini games were intriquing and satisfying. The overall theme of the game was magical and charming with a twist of dark running through it's core, but not in a horribly negative way as too many of the games of late appear to wrap themselves in.

The music was pleasant and extremely well done in most parts (yay, a nice change to many of the dreary and depressing music scores ~ am eagerly anticipating a future of more A+ games such as this one from BFG,

Thanks!

Edited on 09/28/2011 at 4:25:29 AM PST

[Post New]by creativeoneuk on Oct 11, 11 12:35 PM
I played the CE and thought it very good - good graphics, good plot, and I much prefer those fractured hidden object scenes to the normal ones which, as others have said, are very repetitive in this game. The final part of the game in the extras is good too and having new locations (unlike, say, Lockwood Manor) for the extra game adds a lot.

A few points:
1. I found the instructions for a couple of the puzzles in the extra game part to be rather opaque - and in one, I could only see 2 lines of instructions but these were truncated mid-sentence, as if a last line was missing.
2. Spare a thought for us guys with the quite common red/green colour blindness - some of the puzzles that required colours to be matched, or not connected, were turned into pure guesswork.

Some (general) suggestions prompted by this (and other BF) games:
1. When, having finished the game you view the achievements screen, it would be great if you could click on the (honestly, quite few) puzzles you skipped in your haste to solve the whole game and play them at your leisure.
2. When a graphical puzzle is solved it often happens quickly, after you move one key tile or whatever, and it would be good if the "well done" message didn't obscure most of the puzzle so that you could review the completed thing
3. After so much hard gameplay releasing someone or whatever, I would prefer the bit that deals with the happy ending to be a bit longer - in most of the BF games I've played, it just flashes by. You could have a final happy ending scene with a "skip" button for those cold hearted souls who don't like such things.

LittleFish884
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,181 Posts

[Post New]by LittleFish884 on Oct 22, 11 3:50 PM
How does the CE end, cause the SE ending is weird & I wonder if the game was properly finished in the CE as part of the bonus?

sheltie07
Seahorse
Seahorse
31 Posts

[Post New]by sheltie07 on Jan 3, 12 6:52 PM
I just finished Sonya..............excellent game.................
is there that much more on the collector's edition for me to buy it?

Mickeycb
Minnow
Minnow
221 Posts

[Post New]by Mickeycb on May 29, 13 3:46 AM
Well, well, well....did not enjoy this game at all. Usually, the opening scene gives you some sort of bearing about where you are ( reality, fantasy, etc.) and also gives you more than a couple of thugs breaking into your house, one of which is wearing a mask like "Jason", oh the thrill, and then boom, off to do your adventure. Just felt like it could have been done an easier more complete way. With everything the dev's put into this game, it would have been so nice, especially since it's a CE, to have an interactive map, letting you know where actions are available. Here is another pet peeve of mine. When putting together atoms, as in one puzzle, what makes it difficult is when you are a chemist and the game is using the color scheme wrong!! I can't just dumb it down because someone didn't do their homework. It's just like when you have to play the piano, not in this game, but reading music is not the same keys that you are suppose to play. And if that is not bad enough, you would, at the very least, think they could spell correctly. This game was painful, at best.

katbear50
Clownfish
Clownfish
551 Posts

[Post New]by katbear50 on Jan 28, 14 11:41 AM
Just contacted the Devs with a couple of nagging problems,
so thought I would share my note with y'all, in something like a review form.

Purchased "Sonya Collector's Edition" from Big Fish. I am enjoying the game, but encountering a few problem spots.
1) When I open my Game, the 'Downloading' screen takes an exceptionally long time to switch to the Game Screen.
{3 1/2-4 Minute minimum}
2) I keep getting turned round and having to back-track as there are so many different locations, and back n forth movements required,.......and you have not provided any kind of a Map.
I don't have to have one that works like a 'Transporter', but just a simple Map would have been so helpful.
Looking forward to playing another of your games, but am hoping you will address these problems with your next release.
=^,,^=
kat

Edited on 02/07/2014 at 11:19:35 AM PST

Go to: