Waazzaa
Guppy
Guppy
102 Posts

Re:Reviews for The Secrets of Arcelia Island

[Post New]by Waazzaa on Sep 14, 11 5:49 PM
I have played this game in its entirety. I am one of those people who is tired of H0GS. For those who feel the same way, this one is a bearable H0G, and I thoroughly enjoyed it. The H0 scenes are minimal and you only have to find 8 (oops, or is it 10) objects. The objects are relatively easy to find. This makes me happy because I don't want to spend time on H0 scenes.

The game is long and even though there is a bit of walking to do, the different areas are not difficult to get to. The story kept me interested, and the puzzles did not drive me crazy. (Some might find them easy, but sometimes puzzles are just too complicated to deal with.)

For those bored with the standard H0Gs, I recommend this game.

As for Cherbtoo's reviews--post away. I dislike that someone has asked anyone to go to a different site. It's just unnecessary!!!

Poutoule
Archerfish
Archerfish
41,630 Posts

[Post New]by Poutoule on Sep 16, 11 8:34 AM
So many fishies pmed me about this game that I tried it and ...bought it.

Such a good SE, something extremely rare now, so I would like to thank the devs, grand job here, thanks

Graphics beautiful and clear.
H0 not too difficult as the mini games (thanks for that !)
Good story.
Good music.
Good length.

Please give us more SE like this one.

Very good game.

pgillenw
Minnow
Minnow
236 Posts

[Post New]by pgillenw on Sep 16, 11 5:06 PM
This game, to me, is not an adult game. Younger folks my find it interesting. I am not much of a "fairyland" fan. With that said, the graphics are quite good and there is a potion of creativity and cleverness both excellent ingredients for success with specific game players.

Thanks for bringing this to us. A little diversity in play is not a bad thing. I sincerely wish should you choose to play that it brings you joy.

enigma5619
Minnow
Minnow
244 Posts

[Post New]by enigma5619 on Sep 16, 11 8:03 PM
what a merry chase this game takes u on....iif i didnt play consecutively, i was lost and had to read the journal...lol...lots and lots of twists and turns and surprises...no hard games or puzzles...all in all, it was fun with nice graphics and a good story....entertaining to the end...not exactly sure what happened to the bad girl in the end....to busy loooking and reading...lol

sfcali
Guppy
Guppy
128 Posts

[Post New]by sfcali on Sep 17, 11 7:37 PM
jkuci wrote:
sfcali wrote:I agree about the length: unless you play on easy mode, using hints and rush through the story cut-scenes, you won't finish this game in under 4 hours. I also like to relish my games and this one is worth relishing! So gorgeous!

I was stumped on occasion by more than one puzzle while others were very easy. I think that's a good mix. If every puzzle is too hard, it would be drudgery after a while. If every puzzle was easy, it'd be boring and go too fast.

There's no reason to complain about the story's originality. In and of itself, it's very original even if it has many familiar elements such as the mysticism, the witch, the lost relative. If all you want is absolutely never seen or heard of before in your games or books or movie, your library will be very poor indeed.

If you enjoy gorgeous artwork and hidden object scenes, this game is worth it just for that. Even so, there's much more to it. Very good buy!

Thanks! I decided to buy based on your post.

Jkuci,

Thank you for that feedback! I'm glad I could help and I hope it turned out to be an enjoyable game for you, too

eedebeep
Guppy
Guppy
181 Posts

pretty good game but a little juvenile

[Post New]by eedebeep on Sep 18, 11 8:28 AM
This could have been a CE with a little more content, but I am glad some developers are putting out quality SEs. Good hidden objects scenes, the puzzles are (too) easy, the story, esp the fairies and characters, a little too pre teen for me. Think a 12 yr would really like this game. I prefer scary macabre stories, but can't fault the game for content!

A for young adults, B- for adults.

KimiKanda
Guppy
Guppy
145 Posts

[Post New]by KimiKanda on Sep 20, 11 11:23 AM
"May Day!", May Day!" . . . . .Excellent game and game play. The usual storyline, but the graphics, interactive game play (hidden object scenes and mini puzzles) makes this game special. "Thank you!" and developers for such a terrific game. and .

ibnurdreamz
Squid
Squid
61 Posts

[Post New]by ibnurdreamz on Sep 27, 11 6:27 AM
Sorry, I am not a fan! Good graphics not enough for me to buy. Enjoyed the demo but not enough to purchase. I hate being the odd girl out but just not my style I guess. But those that like it, enjoy. This would not even be a good DD for me.

[Post New]by Quikkie on Sep 29, 11 1:28 AM
Hi guys,

I'm new to the hidden object style of game and only played a few but they were just literally hidden objects. However, I played The Secrets of Arcelia Island and loved it because of all the extra elements of finding different objects in different areas and completing tasks in order to progress.

Can anyone recommend me games in this style?

Many thanks!

[Post New]by ritasmiff on Oct 11, 11 6:44 AM
Hi - I really enjoyed this game I could do it all by myself! which makes a nice change. I thought the graphics were lovely its nice to leave the real world and go off with the faries sometimes great fun. many thanks

emery419
Guppy
Guppy
114 Posts

[Post New]by emery419 on Oct 18, 11 3:25 PM
This was a good game; I enjoyed the 1-hour trial enough to purchase it. THEN, there were barely 2 more hours left and the game was over. This was quite disappointing; I think an SE game should be at least 4 - 5 hours to make it worth the money. Too bad, too, because it was well done and enjoyable. It was very easy, though -- fun, but not very challenging. I would have to recommend waiting until it's a DD; then it would be worth the price. But at full price? No, it's just too short.

marian35
Seahorse
Seahorse
25 Posts

[Post New]by marian35 on Oct 18, 11 4:52 PM
I enjoyed this game. Played it through, and enjoyed those funny fairies and the graphics were beautiful. Hope we get more games like this, a game for all ages and fun!

megwoman25
Clownfish
Clownfish
742 Posts

[Post New]by megwoman25 on Nov 1, 11 2:51 PM
I thoroughly enjoyed this game. what a little gem. It would have been a million times better especially at the end if it had voiceovers because there was A LOT to read but other than that, I enjoyed the game and will replay it again sometime. Just so excited to see a SE game instead of CE's where you have to wait a month to purchase the SE. I found this game refreshing. Thanks BFG and whoever developed this! sorry I forgot LOL

megwoman25
Clownfish
Clownfish
742 Posts

[Post New]by megwoman25 on Nov 1, 11 2:53 PM
Quikkie wrote:Hi guys,

I'm new to the hidden object style of game and only played a few but they were just literally hidden objects. However, I played The Secrets of Arcelia Island and loved it because of all the extra elements of finding different objects in different areas and completing tasks in order to progress.

Can anyone recommend me games in this style?

Many thanks!

Go into the hidden object section and try playing games that are labeled a H0PA (hidden object puzzle adventure). Those games have hidden objects but also adventure parts to them. I really enjoyed the Nightfall Mysteries: curse of the opera and their asylum game. There are so many to choose from especially if you are a beginner. Have fun =)

bessiegirl
Clownfish
Clownfish
738 Posts

[Post New]by bessiegirl on Nov 2, 11 9:19 AM
Just finished SE and found it to be very entertaining. Easy HOGS, which is nice because the game moves along. Mini games...well, some were hard to solve probably because I'm too right brained or they just were a bit long and boring. Enjoyed the story and the ending actually was an ending! Didn't leave you hanging.

Don't understand the whining about repeated story themes....I mean, you can only come up with so many different ideas. I enjoy them all, even when they seem to repeat themselves...the story is always a different challenge.

A bit "enchanting" so I would probably rank this as a bit "girly girl", but all should enjoy the chanllenges. Happy gaming...you won't regret it.

meanbusiness
Guppy
Guppy
186 Posts

[Post New]by meanbusiness on Nov 22, 11 11:22 AM
Poutoule wrote:So many fishies pmed me about this game that I tried it and ...bought it.

Such a good SE, something extremely rare now, so I would like to thank the devs, grand job here, thanks

Graphics beautiful and clear.
H0 not too difficult as the mini games (thanks for that !)
Good story.
Good music.
Good length.

Please give us more SE like this one.

Very good game.

Absolutely agree. Well worth the SE price.

gamergirl675
Dolphin
Dolphin
6,156 Posts

[Post New]by gamergirl675 on Dec 1, 11 7:37 PM
mariannequilts wrote:I liked the game, but not the best of games. I did get into the story as it went along and thought it was a good length. The ending confused me. SPOILER: The story revolves around finding the crown to give to father and when you do find the crown, the story suddenly ends with no crowning and the crown is still in inventory. The Hint system is very good. I had black borders on my screen.

SPOILER: (HIghlight to read) Sadly your father is killed. The crown is still in your inventory because YOU are the new queen of the island. The last secret of the ending is your new castle rising from the sea.

Ariztokat
Guppy
Guppy
112 Posts

[Post New]by Ariztokat on Apr 3, 12 7:38 PM
Totally captured me. Great game with nice HOscenes. Not too hard to see the objects. Loved the graphics and the story. I wanna live in the Fairy Tree!!!

Thanks, !

[Post New]by Xaos_Killian on May 6, 12 10:15 PM
tried the demo ... not too bad ... graphics are immpressive as HO games are of late ... do tend to agree with several others about the unending, repetative, really uncreative, and (seeing it in the game description) really-turning-around-and-running-to-the-hills idea of curses and witches in villages and islands. it is getting quite old! ... no voice-overs, which is a slight disappointment, means the story doesn't get pushed along and some background filled in for the player.

asided from the journal problem ... still not fixed in Big Fish ... guys are slipping ... it just didn't capture my enthusiasim to continue with the game ... maybe another time if i come back to it. so for me right now, it is a big no. for anyone else -> give it a try then decide whether or not to buy it.

IYBAKH
Minnow
Minnow
226 Posts

[Post New]by IYBAKH on May 28, 12 10:44 AM
The game was entertaining, fairly easy, and with very nice graphics. There was lots of running back and forth from scene to scene, more than I liked.. Hints were "fuzzy" in their descriptions. Some were even inaccurate. The game tried to incorporate too many different stories into one. It didn't always make sense. For example, there were segments on deep sea diving; fairies in a tree; icy, cold scenes, desert scenes, wrecked ships,etc. Too many different storues caused confusion and a lack of continuity,

Go to: