Re:Reviews for Mystery Murders: Jack the Ripper

[Post New]by dwpony on Sep 22, 11 6:54 PM
Just finished the game. It was great, well worth the money. The storyline was very interesting and some of the puzzles were different then other **** games I've played. Can't wait for the next CA game.

lunachan
Guppy
Guppy
171 Posts

[Post New]by lunachan on Sep 23, 11 1:37 PM
I don't understand why no one has done a game about the person who was really the ripper. This was from National Geographic that I learned about what really happened. Maybe, like Dracula you could play as him? It was perfect that he was a German (sorry, i forgot name- u can look it up)merchant marine so he could go back and forth freely but got caught in new york (he was older and slipping;the brother saw him trying to escape)This is a comment, so please don't yell @ me, I scar easily

[Post New]by crazycarl on Sep 23, 11 9:53 PM
DO NOT purchase this game! Read through the forum and you will see that many of us have gotten stuck in the office and nothing can be done. You will end up frustrated for paying for a game that last only minutes!

enigma5619
Minnow
Minnow
244 Posts

[Post New]by enigma5619 on Nov 20, 11 2:36 PM
excellent
interesting
great puzzles and H.O. games
well told story in 3 parts
A++ ending
gory and a bit graphic
well done game!!!!

[Post New]by themusewrites on Dec 26, 11 11:02 AM
SEMI SPOILER ALERT

I ran thru this the way I usually do the demos, prior to deciding if I want to buy it. Not a bad **** game as it went, definitely a bit on the creepy side for the "plot", which I prefer.

BUT, I draw the line at mixing up opiates for my "character's" usage. I don't mind fake spells and all, but if I'm being instructed to grind up opium into a solution for the drug-addled character to abuse, I'm out of the game. Thanks anyway, I'll spend my credits elsewhere.

marg6043
Clownfish
Clownfish
582 Posts

[Post New]by marg6043 on Jan 8, 12 3:16 PM
This game was interestingly good, the story line was one we all familiar with and deliver the plot nicely, great graphics and you get to used your intuition.

In my opinion it was fun to play.

[Post New]by jhansenoldsalt on Jan 15, 12 6:20 AM
No offense to those who enjoyed this, but I just don't get it. The path to the end was rigid beyond belief, and the simplicity of the puzzles bordered on juvenile.

I expended little to no thought as I made my way through the game, along the way becoming increasingly annoyed at the "fuzzy red border" used to indicate dream sequences, the narrow mindedness of the "inspector", the ceaseless "find the key" HOS's, and the seemingly obligatory "Is this really the end?" ending.

In short, not the worst HOG, but darned close to it. I picked it up on sale and it was still not worth the money. Guess I need to read reviews before I make a purchase decision and quit basing my choices on screenshots - either that or take the time to download the trial.

I really wanted to like this, but ultimately ended up wishing I hadn't wasted the money to buy it or the time to play it.YMMV, but there are lots of better choices.

bessiegirl
Clownfish
Clownfish
738 Posts

[Post New]by bessiegirl on Jan 25, 12 8:32 AM
Made it through about 15 minutes of the demo before I was bored to death. Found the game slow and way too much dialog. I had to turn the sound off, it was driving me crazy. Definately not a buyer no matter how much I am wanting a new game. Doesn't appear to be a click penalty, the games are very simple so even though there is a skip button, you definately won't need it unless you just want to get the game moving again. HOGs can be a bit difficult to find some items, but there aren't a great deal of items to find.

blueskies01
Guppy
Guppy
161 Posts

[Post New]by blueskies01 on Mar 5, 12 11:40 PM
Finished demo: these characters seem to be dimwits. Have to constantly track all over to find such items as mislaid typing paper (in a newspaper office!); missing keys every which way, etc. Convenient that a clairvoyant has a laudanum problem, but she does go off it for weeks at a time, so some lucidity should be possible. The actual HO scenes have some interesting Victorian items, but really that's hardly enough to justify springing for this game. The dialogue has too many grating Americanisms, way too anachronistic. It's as though the dev figured that it's enough to cook up a stew of Ripper + Clairvoyant + Tarot + 1888 England, laced with blood, sobs--from a corpse?--and sinister laughter, & voila! we should all buy. I'll pass.

mary69lyn
Herring
Herring
300 Posts

[Post New]by mary69lyn on Mar 17, 12 2:41 PM
I think Big Fish is sacrificing quality for quantity when production turns to so many hidden object games that just aren't satisfying somehow.
When I first started playing computer games, back when Windows 95/98 was operating, there were many point and click adventure games with beautiful graphics, very original plots that showed a lot of imagination, it was obvious that a great deal of thought and effort went into the creation of these games --Syberia 1 & 2 are good examples of this.
There really isn't much fun looking for hidden objects for very long, and the themes seem to be gory and maudlin lately. Horror, if you may. Thiis is not nearly as an enjoyable an experience.
I was recently pleased to see that Big Fish reformatted "Riddle of the Sphinx" which I was able to enjoy because I still had the old walkthrough from when I privately purchased that game but couldn't play it on my Windows XP. I personally would like to see some of these old classics updated and made possible for viewers who are compelled to use on updated computers. If that ever happens, tho, there would have to be good walkthroughs available because they would be difficult if not impossible to play otherwise---but the gratification of finishing the game is so much greater for the player.

mary69lyn
Herring
Herring
300 Posts

[Post New]by mary69lyn on Mar 17, 12 2:43 PM
I think Big Fish is sacrificing quality for quantity when production turns to so many hidden object games that just aren't satisfying somehow.
When I first started playing computer games, back when Windows 95/98 was operating, there were many point and click adventure games with beautiful graphics, very original plots that showed a lot of imagination, it was obvious that a great deal of thought and effort went into the creation of these games --Syberia 1 & 2 are good examples of this.
There really isn't much fun looking for hidden objects for very long, and the themes seem to be gory and maudlin lately. Horror, if you may. Thiis is not nearly as an enjoyable an experience.
I was recently pleased to see that Big Fish reformatted "Riddle of the Sphinx" which I was able to enjoy because I still had the old walkthrough from when I privately purchased that game but couldn't play it on my Windows XP. I personally would like to see some of these old classics updated and made possible for viewers who are compelled to use on updated computers. If that ever happens, tho, there would have to be good walkthroughs available because they would be difficult if not impossible to play otherwise---but the gratification of finishing the game is so much greater for the player.

lisablue4369
Flounder
Flounder
2,105 Posts

[Post New]by lisablue4369 on Jun 26, 12 8:05 AM
if you like HOS games then you should try this game. we did and you will have a hidden road ahead in this game.--------doug and lisa

bfgCimarron
Dogfish
Dogfish
1,902 Posts

[Post New]by bfgCimarron on Sep 3, 12 2:43 PM
Hi Fishies,

I just wanted to swim in with a quick post to help clear things up. If you would like to reveal some details about the game story that contributes to your review, that is certainly fine. However, as was mentioned, posting SPOILER ALERT at the top of your post as per our second post can help greatly.

bfgImbrium wrote:(...)Remember, a lot of people who will be reading this thread will have never played the game before. If you are posting spoilers, be sure to include SPOILER ALERT at the top of your post(...)

Typically the body of the post can be the easiest place for many Fishies to see it, if that helps. Thank you and don't hesitate to PM a Moderator about spoilers and what to do if you have any questions.

Best,

bfgCimarron

Edited on 09/03/2012 at 2:45:40 PM PST

underwriter
Herring
Herring
356 Posts

[Post New]by underwriter on Nov 30, 12 6:48 PM
OK, I just finished, and I haven't read through all the reviews as there were just too many. However the couple of pages I did read through gave me a couple of random thoughts...

"The voices." Put me in the camp of those who liked the Cockney done but not overdone. But if not, you know, you can turn the sound off. And if it's just that you read faster then they talk, you can cut them short with the "Continue" button.

"We all know how it ends." No, we don't. No one knows how it ended. We are not talking John Wayne Gacy here. There are many theories, and the devs are under no obligation to even pick a known theory to base the game on; they are welcome to make up a new one.

That said, given the premise they did use, it clearly would not have ended differently even with 157 eye witnesses, and it would have had 13 chapters no matter what (not necessarily fixed length chapters though). I for my part was sorry that after having set up the reporter as possessing evidence that no one else had, the devs allowed him to vanish from the rest of the game. I think that was a noteworthy loss.

LadyJane50
Guppy
Guppy
183 Posts

[Post New]by LadyJane50 on Oct 20, 13 5:46 PM
Just finished playing and have to say that I am pleasantly surprised. At first I kinda thought this might be one of the "too easy" games. Not so.

Although you are usually playing with about two scenes (at the most three), some of the tasks take a little bit of looking to find items needed to open a lock, break a window, write a letter, etc. Many times I thought the game had a glitch but when I checked the walkthrough I found that I had simply missed a step.

Graphics are spectacular (especially outside the doctor's home). Voices are also well done. I really enjoyed the storyline. Lately it seems the games I'm playing take me to a haunted house or mental hospital. This game was a nice change.

Good job devs!

Go to: