[Post New]by kcrosley2 on Sep 10, 11 4:17 PM
i cann't find piano

tomb57
Guppy
Guppy
155 Posts

Re:Review for Haunted Legends: The Bronze Horseman Collector's Edition

[Post New]by tomb57 on Sep 10, 11 4:35 PM
Very nice game of the series, ERS does a good job of mixing HOGs and puzzles.
Great graphics, decent soundtrack.
Built in strategy guide helps when you get stuck, like I often do.
Nice length of gameplay, Bonus game was good too.
My only drawback is how long will the bad guy live? Will he be killed off in the next haunted Legends story?
I like sequels, but would like the badguy to eventually be permanently defeated-
you know,(no more sequels) an ending.

admiral1133
Minnow
Minnow
228 Posts

[Post New]by admiral1133 on Sep 10, 11 8:13 PM
I really like these games, with the little demon. This one was also very good.Graphics crisp and clear. Some of the HOG items were very very tiny and hard to find. There were multi-levels to complete and lots and lots of puzzles that were somewhat difficult. Overall, a great game and I'm glad I bought it. Thanks BF

admiral1133
Minnow
Minnow
228 Posts

[Post New]by admiral1133 on Sep 10, 11 8:13 PM
I really like these games, with the little demon. This one was also very good.Graphics crisp and clear. Some of the HOG items were very very tiny and hard to find. There were multi-levels to complete and lots and lots of puzzles that were somewhat difficult. Overall, a great game and I'm glad I bought it. Thanks BF

admiral1133
Minnow
Minnow
228 Posts

[Post New]by admiral1133 on Sep 10, 11 8:14 PM

[Post New]by rosie28sammy on Sep 11, 11 12:51 AM
Hmmm, well not too much to add when you delay writing a review until days later and it is the 6th page......

I did enjoy this one. As others, though, I found the voice of the little girl rather grating. Scenes are pretty dark and again we have the little monster reeking havoc and we have to figure out what is going on.

Others have posted that they enjoyed the first Haunted Legends, but I went back and realized, I never finished the first. It was good, but apparently somewhat forgettable. This was an enjoyable game, don't get me wrong, but since it is pretty much the same framework of a lot of other ERS games, I can defintiely wait for the SE version to come out.

Valdy
Marlin
Marlin
9,383 Posts

[Post New]by Valdy on Sep 11, 11 7:08 AM
saadia60 wrote:The SG indicates that there are only three chapters....this game can't be very long....

No, there are more chapters, but you only get to play the first 3 chapters in the trial version.

debdeb11
Guppy
Guppy
141 Posts

[Post New]by debdeb11 on Sep 11, 11 8:59 AM
ERS Games Studios has had a winning formula, and they have certainly stuck with it, for better or worse.

As far as HOG games are concerned, their graphics and interface are still top-notch compared to some other games in the genre. Certainly as an SE this game compares very favourably still towards others.

Having said that, I do feel like ERS will start needing to think outside of their box very shortly or will soon be left behind. I had several critiques of this game, which will cause me to reconsider whether I will purchase another ERS game at regular price the next time one hits the cyber-shelf:
- voice-overs were really quite horrible. Certainly not the voice standard that I feel they have had in past games, such as the Edgar Allan Poe series
- music has become so repetitive - game after game the same music with the same underlying motif. This used to be a very strong point to their games for me, but now I turn the music off I am so tired of listening to it
- there were several misnamed objects in this game, a first that I have ever noticed by this studio. Especially towards the end of the game & during the bonus play. There were also spelling mistakes in the objects which made it impossible to decipher what they wanted: for instance "bah" instead of "bag". Makes me wonder if in fact they are rushing these out a bit too fast.
- the storyline is not fleshed out the way I expect from this studio, again such as past awesome series such as PuppetShow or Edgar Allan Poe. I was not a particular fan of the storyline in the first Haunted Legends game. This one seemed to fall short even more. One is dropped in the story with really no idea as to what's going on. Of course these are games, but even in a game one should have some sense of believability even on a fantasy level, and for me this game did not at all.
- many scenes were were really quite dark. I always found ERS HOG scenes to be very good as they were not ridiculously difficult & objects were clear to find. Not so in this game, many I felt are getting too blended in, and combined with the darkness in many HOG scenes this just wasn't fun for me.

Taken on it's own, this game is okay & you still get decent value. However, I would certainly say if one had to choose between this and most all of the other CEs that have been released in last few months, this would be last on that list as far as overall game quality.

Edited on 09/11/2011 at 9:14:23 AM PST

zorroback2
Herring
Herring
302 Posts

Re:Reviews for Haunted Legends: The Bronze Horseman Collector's Edition

[Post New]by zorroback2 on Sep 11, 11 12:29 PM
I am a Big fan of ERS studios and I love each game from this developer. Yes, ERS has a winning formula but it is no secret. The hidden winning formula is ... Just create and work hard for us! I love everything about this dev and love this terrific sequel Haunted Legends. thanks ERS and BFG for great job!!! Can hardly wait for Haunted Legends: undertaker and for Dark Tales sequel!!!!
from me.

Edited on 09/11/2011 at 12:31:37 PM PST

pgillenw
Minnow
Minnow
236 Posts

[Post New]by pgillenw on Sep 11, 11 6:01 PM
Another winner!!

The art work was superb. I really like chasing SG around and he is so evil.

Very creative, fantastically enjoyable. Thanks for bringing us yet another wonderful game.

qpr1
Clownfish
Clownfish
733 Posts

[Post New]by qpr1 on Sep 11, 11 9:04 PM
great game, loved the first one too. but i will wait for the s.e.

dancemom1
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,198 Posts

[Post New]by dancemom1 on Sep 12, 11 2:55 PM
Very nice graphics, game play and music. I do like the voice overs and the fact that I can click through them, since I read faster than they talk. Can't really tell how far I got in the short demo time, but believe I was still in Chapter 1. Just not sure I want to spend full price on this one. I think I will wait for the SE, but could change my mind if nothing really good comes along. I have a lot of credits to use up first.

Beingknown
Salmon
Salmon
2,670 Posts

[Post New]by Beingknown on Sep 12, 11 4:02 PM
hannah57 wrote:I see there are others who enjoy Adventure game w/o the hidden object scenes. Whats wrong with a good ole fashion adventure game like we used to get? Hidden object games have lost their shine and frankly are boring.

I agree completely.

PLEASE developers and Big Fish Games, give us actual Adventure Games. If you look at how many Hidden Object Games we have on the Big Fish game site, they outnumber every other type by a large margin. Where is the entertainment value and/or challenge in just seeing and pointing to objects? Even within the majority of so-called "adventure" games, one must wade through countless hidden object scenes.

Please be kind to those of us who like to explore areas, figure out the relevant goals and thus encounter and solve puzzles and mini-games.

On to “Haunted Legends: The Bronze Horseman Collector's Edition”. I thought the graphics were artistically imaginative and well done. The few puzzles were fun, though simple. For me, the constant hidden object scenes although well done, became tiresome because they were too numerous and thus detracted from the game’s enjoyment factor.

Edited on 09/12/2011 at 4:21:02 PM PST

emmyjayne
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,375 Posts

[Post New]by emmyjayne on Sep 12, 11 7:10 PM
I enjoyed this game even though it is very ERS "formula". I disliked the music and couldn't believe they reused it from the previous game. Comes across a little lazy to me, I guess. I also can't believe they still pulse/flame/spin the hint/cursor/etc. (after all the feedback on these forums!). Regardless, the artwork is lovely, as always, and overall it's always fun to play ERS games. Worth buying but as others have said, their games are becoming a bit cookie cutter.

lovely62
Clownfish
Clownfish
731 Posts

[Post New]by lovely62 on Sep 13, 11 5:44 AM
I bought the game, But for now on I can't be tempted anymore with CE's I will have to wait for SE's to come out, I do wish BF would realize, How the economy has hurt us all.I do see so many fishes are waiting for SE's.. But we all have choices to hit the buy button, I decided not to download CE's anymore due to the fact my finances , A couple weeks ago hubby lost job, So the one's that can afford CE's plz enjoy the games..I loved the demo of the game graphics are awesome and music I liked very much..
Thx DEV's and BF much love to your games

CplDave
Seahorse
Seahorse
30 Posts

[Post New]by CplDave on Sep 13, 11 7:29 AM
ERS is becoming the "fast food restaurant" (without mentioning a brand) of the games producers. You go there because it's always the same formula: perhaps not the best food but in it's own way it's likable enough. No matter which restaurant you go to, you know exactly what to expect and it satisfies the hunger. The same applies to ERS games: each one is likable enough and satisfies the gaming hunger, but don't expect much variation.

It's rather sad, actually, because they've proven in the past they have the talent to produce really groundbreaking games and set the standard for the genre. I hope these recent games are just filling in while they are developing the next best one!

Edited on 09/13/2011 at 7:35:12 AM PST

[Post New]by Dominick_Fontana on Sep 13, 11 8:13 AM
First, I third the motion for pure adventure games.

You made a good point, CplDave. I agree with you. The game was good, but it's the same ol' formula.

Now, for my review. I just finished the entire game. The game was good, BUT, since I don't like Hidden Object Scenes (HOS), that was a put off for me. This game has about 40 HOS in it and I find them so annoying. If you like HOS, then you will probably really like this game. I put up with the HOS because the rest of the game was very good. Also, although there is a random-click penalty, it is very lenient, so you can random-click and get away with it, plus the hint meter and skip button recharge pretty quickly.

It consists of 8 chapters and a Bonus Adventure. It must have taken me 5 to 6 hours to complete the game. I like the voice-overs, but as the game progressed, there were less and less of them. Also, I found the little girl's voice very irritating. The rest of the game was standard fare, but done very well. The mini-games were different, but enjoyable. It didn't have the usual gear puzzles, turn the dials and line up the dots, and jig-saw puzzles. I found the puzzles to be enjoyable.

The game is also pretty expansive and you have a lot of places to visit, so that adds variety to the game. The game has a journal, but for some bizarre reason, the text was written very lightly on parchment-type paper, so I had trouble reading it. The game would have benefitted from a Map and a Tasks list, neither of which it had.

Also, the Bonus Adventure was too short. I think I finished it in 30 minutes.

All in all, I rate this game an 8 out of 10, and if you like HOS, then it's a 9.

Stay tuned for the new Fontana Theory on Hidden Object Scenes in Adventure games.

Edited on 09/13/2011 at 8:32:51 AM PST

eedebeep
Guppy
Guppy
181 Posts

[Post New]by eedebeep on Sep 13, 11 8:53 AM
I agree that ERS games are becoming a bit routine. They are rather enjoyable though. I always turn off the sound for the voiceovers cause they are so annoying! Note to developers: PLEASE make a separate control for "voices" so we can turn them off but still have background sound. Hate the pathetic "demon" character, he's supposed to be scary?????? Feel like I could just knock him over and be done with it!
All in all, I don't regret buying it. B+

[Post New]by Dominick_Fontana on Sep 13, 11 9:18 AM
Hi, eedebeep.
Feel like I could just knock him over and be done with it!

That's hilarious! I agree with you. He's not a scary monster. He's a little pipsqueak.

Edited on 09/13/2011 at 9:20:56 AM PST

ember89
Flounder
Flounder
2,103 Posts

[Post New]by ember89 on Sep 13, 11 12:17 PM
i really enjoyed queen of spades so i was excited to see that creepy little guy make a return appearance it's just that rule where something can become so hideous to look at that you just have to end up thinking it's cute!

anyway... i enjoyed this one as well, with the haunting visions, the creepy lighting, the stormy atmosphere... great little tale to tell and beautiful to watch unfold...

perhaps ERS has fallen into formula gaming, but when you go somewhere for one thing and they have the best one thing and that's why you go there... why seek change? do you go to the supermarket to buy cotton candy or funnel cakes? no, you go to the fair... do you go to a big box store for custom care and one-on-one attention? no, you go to the good ol' mom-n-pop down the road... do you order your bridal gown at sears? no, you go see "david" for that... so for games that are really pretty to look at and generally fun to play and lead you into a good story and provide a little something for everyone and don't go totally overboard on the gore and yuck - ERS has got what you're looking for... and they probably wouldn't change their recipe any more than the colonel would because it works!

i didn't care for some of the voice overs, which is why i generally prefer game developers to skip that part... you tend to get a lot of melodrama and [in the case of children] pitched voices that make you just want to hurl but for this one i endured and found that i didn't have such a hard time after all

in a world where we already have a plethora of legends and fairy tales, it's difficult to come up with something that doesn't sound like this story met that story and *voila!* this is their lovechild! originality is hard to come by in this day and age, where we have everything at our fingertips and the opportunity to dive into whatever world we can find to entertain us - whether it's a book or a movie or a computer game - the escape comes with one's suspension of disbelief... and how well one can fall into the story determines how well the story is liked and how it is stored in memory... so if you see something that you think you've seen before - count that as a good thing... you probably liked it!

now i think i will wander into labyrinth and remember what it was to be young

Go to: