Re:Reviews for Mystery Legends: Beauty and the Beast Collector's Edition

[Post New]by 1014Mousling on Sep 20, 11 10:40 AM
I have to agree with other reviewers. The game is absolutely gorgeous to look at! The screens for the hidden object scenes were very crisp and clear (nothing worse than having to hit the hint button to be told that yes the fuzzy smudge on the right is the object you're looking for! )

I found the puzzle games were fun, but a tad easy. I enjoyed playing this game, but since this is a CE, I'm with those that thought there should have been more bonus-wise. The strategy guide could be better too. Something more along the lines of say Macabre Mysteries - Curse of the Nightingale CE.

But overall I've enjoyed this game and it's a fine addition to Mystery Legends and I can't wait to see what's next. In fact I think I'll go off and play Phantom of the Opera again!

Edited on 09/20/2011 at 10:41:17 AM PST

JPCarol
Starfish
Starfish
51 Posts

[Post New]by JPCarol on Sep 20, 11 11:14 AM
Thumbs down from my POV. I expect far more from a Collector's Edition. Game play was linear and unchallenging Graphics were nice, but far from being interactive. Story line juvenille. Puzzles not good. They either made no sense or were elementary in level.

All in all, I think I wasted my money on this one and will be asking Big Fish for a refund.

KimiKanda
Guppy
Guppy
145 Posts

[Post New]by KimiKanda on Sep 20, 11 12:26 PM
"Humongous!" This game is superb. It's a big "WOW!" "Magnificent"! The storyline is not too scary. Yeh, I like the scary games. Anyway this game is "Fabulous". I'm Lov'n it! A definite buy.

Edited on 09/20/2011 at 12:28:39 PM PST

ember89
Flounder
Flounder
2,103 Posts

[Post New]by ember89 on Sep 20, 11 1:43 PM
this was just so beautifully done, i had to pick it up... it's also pretty much the first game in a while where i actually liked the voice acting

as a favorite tale of mine since childhood, i was anxious to see how well the developer took the story in hand and made it new and unique... i have to say that the story quality matched the visual quality - who ever knew an evil sorcerer/-ess to just give up and lie down when thwarted?? i mean, how many times did freddy and jason get up? so i had to see the tale play out...

the strategy guide is 'contemporary,' helping you with what you need 'now' rather than having you flip through pages and pages of cr@p to find what you're looking for... and it's help is rather straightforward, which is also a plus... the map is a little less than helpful on the other hand - it's not interactive, it's not prompting, it's just a map

there's not a lot of the same old hidden object scene over and over again, for the most part it's pretty much once and done... a couple of areas are revisited, but with all new stuff to find... the puzzles are engaging without being overly torturing... and the whole thing is simply beautiful!

i'm looking forward to finishing this one... just so i can start all over at the beginning!

sfcali
Guppy
Guppy
128 Posts

[Post New]by sfcali on Sep 20, 11 1:48 PM
I wanted to add that not only did I love the use of other famous fantasy story books for hidden object scenes, but I'm hoping that maybe they're a preview of what game might come next from Mystery Legends. Judging by how they re-imagined B&B, I'd like to see what they do with Alice in Wonderland, Hansel and Gretal, and so on.

How much you'll like this game depends on how much atmosphere means to you; I'm so picky in that area that there are very few games that I hands down love. The Drawn series (at least I hope it's more than just two) tops the charts for me. So I think Beauty and the Beast lives up to those standards in gameplay, story, graphics and puzzles.

I'm impressed with Pixel Storm Entertainment's style and am definitely going back to try Phantom of the Opera now (it's been on my wish list a long time, anyhow).

Edited on 09/20/2011 at 1:49:34 PM PST

blanckie
Seahorse
Seahorse
20 Posts

[Post New]by blanckie on Sep 20, 11 4:05 PM
loved it

Seascape6
Herring
Herring
341 Posts

[Post New]by Seascape6 on Sep 20, 11 5:52 PM
Having completed the main game and the bonus game, I had to comment that this game really is beautiful and well done. I am a huge fan of detailed graphics, and this Mystery Legends: Beauty and the Beast had that, along with a wonderful storyline.

If there is any disappointment on my part, it's that the graphics / scenes are not available as screensavers nor is there concept art in the CE version. This certainly isn't a deal breaker, just something I've grown accustomed to and appreciate, and was looking forward to seeing when I completed the game.

I thought the voiceovers were exceptionally well done - not expecting the diabolical voice that comes from the enchantress - but just goes to show that looks can be deceiving.

I love these "alternate" stories...Sleepy Hollow is still my favorite out of these two Mystery Legends offerings...but I have yet to play Phantom of the Opera and will play that next. In Sleepy Hollow, the storyteller's voice was the best I've ever heard - perfect for that story and a brisk, moonlit October night.

I'm looking forward to playing Phantom. And like sfcali states above, I anticipate what Pixel Storm Entertainment imagines next.

Edited on 09/20/2011 at 5:56:29 PM PST

LovetoMissLisa
Dogfish
Dogfish
1,823 Posts

[Post New]by LovetoMissLisa on Sep 20, 11 9:28 PM
This game is absolutely amazing and outstanding!!!! The graphics are so beautiful and clear. The voiceover's are top of the line. The gameplay flows and the mini puzzles are fun and not to difficult. The only negative thing, I can say about this game is...the print in the journel is to small to read even with good eyes. But that's the only negative thing I can say about this game. It is just one of the best games on BF now. It's well worth the CE price and a must have forsure. I'm so happy I have gotten a chance to review and play the game now. I was un-able do to tech issue over the last 4 days. But I'm so happy to play this game and add it to my library. Enjoy!

I rate this game: "FINE SWINE"

FINE SWINE:
Great game with the best graphics and story. Bells and whistles, best, greatest, I love it.
‘ ‘
(o)

[Post New]by JosetDupre on Sep 20, 11 9:43 PM
Awesome game. Best I have seen in a while. I agree with the group.

CelticCoco
Clownfish
Clownfish
514 Posts

[Post New]by CelticCoco on Sep 20, 11 11:46 PM
Had no problem with the demo, a bit easy and I played it on the normal setting.
I do wonder what a leprecaun is doing in the game, and Alice in Wonderland, neither had anything to do with the story. Not a buy for me. Just not engaging enough. Pretty, though.

sfcali
Guppy
Guppy
128 Posts

[Post New]by sfcali on Sep 21, 11 1:43 AM
Seascape6 wrote:Having completed the main game and the bonus game, I had to comment that this game really is beautiful and well done. I am a huge fan of detailed graphics, and this Mystery Legends: Beauty and the Beast had that, along with a wonderful storyline.

If there is any disappointment on my part, it's that the graphics / scenes are not available as screensavers nor is there concept art in the CE version. This certainly isn't a deal breaker, just something I've grown accustomed to and appreciate, and was looking forward to seeing when I completed the game.

I thought the voiceovers were exceptionally well done - not expecting the diabolical voice that comes from the enchantress - but just goes to show that looks can be deceiving.

I love these "alternate" stories...Sleepy Hollow is still my favorite out of these two Mystery Legends offerings...but I have yet to play Phantom of the Opera and will play that next. In Sleepy Hollow, the storyteller's voice was the best I've ever heard - perfect for that story and a brisk, moonlit October night.

I'm looking forward to playing Phantom. And like sfcali states above, I anticipate what Pixel Storm Entertainment imagines next.

I didn't know about the Sleepy Hollow one...Thanks to your comments, I am going to give it a try! I usually hate voiceovers and just turn them off when I can or don't purchase if I can't... but I'll try it with the sound on if you think it's that good.

[Post New]by coffeemom2 on Sep 21, 11 8:19 AM
Just finished the game and I agree with most everyone else - gorgeous! Like Seascape6, however, I wish the CE had included screensavers. This is one time I would actually have used them.

I seem to be in the minority regarding the Strategy Guide, because I found it very useful and ended up consulting it several times when I was stuck.

The only two negatives in this game, for me, were the extremely annoying Leprechaun (why did she keep hanging around?) and the Spider Battle. I was literally queasy just trying to get through it and found it much more distasteful than any other game I've played. It almost stopped me from finishing the game, not because it was hard, but because it was nauseating.

Other than that, beautiful, beautiful game, but if you play the demo and don't find the SG useful, I would not buy the CE. The bonus game is nice, but imo, not worth the extra price.

Of the three in the series, Sleepy Hollow is still my favorite.

laurakay76
Guppy
Guppy
195 Posts

[Post New]by laurakay76 on Sep 21, 11 10:33 AM
I've only played the free demo. Very impressed by the graphics and the voice acting was pretty good, although Belle's commentary sometimes annoyed me. I found the robot dog to be a rather strange addition to the fairy tale - given the medievalesque nature of the setting, it seemed kind of anachronistic to have such a sophisticated piece of machinery running around. The puzzles were good and I had to consult the strategy guide more than once for a hint. Overall, looks like a good game and I think I'll be picking up the standard edition when it's released.

Kiwicouple
Seahorse
Seahorse
37 Posts

[Post New]by Kiwicouple on Sep 21, 11 5:26 PM
This is possibly the best CE I've purchased.

Graphics are crisp and beautiful
Voiceovers are well done with some hilarious moments...geronimo!!
Hidden object scenes are hard but not impossible - each item is able to be found.
Puzzles range from the very easy to the very hard and it has a good mix of both..
Music is lovely and not annoying - I usually turn music off.
The length isn't bad for a CE - but I haven't finished the bonus yet.

Last but not least...the ending scenes are brilliant and completely unexpected in a HOG..I will be watching this developer with great interest.

Well done!!

Edited on 09/21/2011 at 5:27:48 PM PST

sonofstar
Herring
Herring
361 Posts

[Post New]by sonofstar on Sep 22, 11 7:52 AM
I own and have played all the Mystery Legend games. I think, of all the rest, I liked this one the best. I've already played it through twice and may play it again.

All the the Mystery Legends are classic stories, but I like the twists and puzzles put in them. And I LOVED being able to whack at the spiders in this one (could be my phobia of the arachnids and the satisfaction at being able to slay one the size of LOTR's Shelob).

The graphics were great, the storyline was developed well, music was great. This one was my type of game.

emmyjayne
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,375 Posts

[Post New]by emmyjayne on Sep 22, 11 10:00 AM
I am not far into the game but I must say the artwork is just beautiul. And it fills my widescreen monitor, which is a rarity these days. The game play seems good so far but why in the world did they choose to spin/sparkle/pulse/glow so many things in my peripheral vision?? Journal, hints, buttons, etc. That is very annoying - and I thought the devs were finally stopping that sort of nonsense . I can not believe there's a bunch of gears spinning at the bottom of the screen during the mini-games. Very, very distracting.

eedebeep
Guppy
Guppy
181 Posts

another one for the tweens

[Post New]by eedebeep on Sep 22, 11 1:01 PM
ugh, too cutesy saccharine for me. "mr nutkins"?! "mr. beak"?! could only play about 10 min before I felt myself needing insulin. no thanks!

[Post New]by hydrogibbon on Sep 22, 11 1:38 PM
I am going against the flow here but I was quite disappointed in this game. I bought it based on how much I love the first two in the series. The graphics were beautiful but the story and gameplay left much to be desired. The strategy guide was close to worthless. I wandered around for an extremely long time trying to find the airship to get back to the castle a second time. When I left the castle I landed in the cottage garden. Doesn't it seem like the airship should be waiting there to take me back? I finally had to go to the forums to figure out how to get back. The strategy guide certainly didn't tell me. This is one more game I should have waited to buy the SE. I loved the CE's at first but they really seem to be going downhill in quality.

[Post New]by loobyc on Sep 22, 11 1:54 PM
I can't get past the intro scene. If I press skip it just takes me back to main menu and if I leave it to run, at the end of the intro it goes back to the main menu!!

emmyjayne
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,375 Posts

[Post New]by emmyjayne on Sep 22, 11 2:28 PM
Well, I've played for quite a while now and I am REALLY enjoying this game (in spite of all the spinning gears, glowing/flaming/flashing/sparkling buttons and journal). Wonderfully refreshing game and such beautiful artwork.

Edited on 09/22/2011 at 2:31:35 PM PST

Go to: