Loren55
Seahorse
Seahorse
23 Posts

Re:Reviews for Mystery of the Ancients: Lockwood Manor Collector's Edition

[Post New]by Loren55 on Oct 14, 11 1:43 PM
Just finished playing the demo and . . . I am sorry, but I think a CE should be well-written enough that I can't tell what's going to happen. Nothing was surprising, and I was disappointed. The story was so predictable I got bored, and that generally takes some doing. It was obvious by reading the diary pages that John was the good guy and Matthew was skewed; it was obvious that the girl had the demon in her the minute she said to get the bottle. *sigh* So much for that.

The music was good. The graphics were not excellent. The cursor was a bit sensitive at spots, but nothing I couldn't handle. Still, in my opinion this is not worth a CE stat, I don't care how many story-board sketches or wallpapers are provided with the game. The guide is no bonus, as the game was so easy it was not necessary. I might look for this as a daily special, but not even as a SE. Sorry, devs, this one didn't make the cut.

[Post New]by MichaelMaiden25 on Nov 5, 11 6:59 PM
I love this game, but, not much

debzb17
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
16 Posts

[Post New]by debzb17 on Nov 5, 11 7:20 PM
How come you don't actually get the trial hour?

I've noticed more and more games have a cut-off point rather than just timing out.

The time-out in Mystery of the Ancients, Lockwood Manor came at a fairly predictable time but still it's a bit annoying.

It didn't stop me buying the game though and I loved it. The quality and content of HOG's has been a bit pants lately but this games proved for me the game creators are still getting it right.

9/10

Kebbielebbie
Guppy
Guppy
178 Posts

[Post New]by Kebbielebbie on Nov 18, 11 12:08 AM
Thank you for all the reviews, Fishies...I think I won't purchase this one but it wasn't bad. The lag on this game was way too annoying...brand new computer = spoiled brat...I didn't care about the darkness, it was fine for me. I might get the SE though.

[Post New]by SIRSLIMMYEEL on Nov 28, 11 11:08 AM
The game was ok, but I enjoyed some of the music enough that I put them on my puter.

Edited on 11/28/2011 at 11:08:39 AM PST

lovely62
Clownfish
Clownfish
731 Posts

[Post New]by lovely62 on Jun 5, 12 6:28 AM
I bought the game with the special BF offer us today, This game is excellent I am having a lot of fun this morning thank you DEV's for this outstanding game and all your hard work and many hours, Hope to see more great games like this one in the future..Thx BF for all the love you show your fishes in the pond..

lil_chickadee
Minnow
Minnow
248 Posts

[Post New]by lil_chickadee on Jun 6, 12 12:17 AM
This game isn't bad for what it is, but the storyline makes little sense to me. After 15 minutes of play, I've already learned that I didn't know my best friend in the world had previously been the girlfriend of her current boyfriend's brother. I also "discovered" that the brothers are named "Lockwood" like the old manor in town. Seems to me that I should know these things about my good friends already, unless I've suffered some sort of amnesia.
Plus I keep getting glimpses of one of the brothers going out doors and the game telling me to "be careful", but he never seems to notice that I'm out of my locked room, not even when I break a glass cabinet door or play an old piano.
Not buying this...I play games for the storyline as much as for the rest of the gameplay, and this one is too poorly written for me to consider continuing to play.

lovely62
Clownfish
Clownfish
731 Posts

[Post New]by lovely62 on Jun 8, 12 11:10 AM
I just finished the game, Thx DEV's for all your hard work and many hours in this game..Thx BF your always showing love for your fishes.. :thumb up:

lisablue4369
Flounder
Flounder
2,105 Posts

[Post New]by lisablue4369 on Jun 26, 12 8:47 AM
this is a great HOS and adventure game. no matter what type of game you like, you will enjoy this one.-----doug & lisa

[Post New]by FishingCat on Jul 28, 12 9:38 PM
I bought this collector's edition when it was on sale for the price of the standard edition. The extra bonus chapter was nice, but I don't think it would have been worth the full CE price. There are two settings for game play. I selected the harder version so interactive areas weren't highlighted but H0 scenes had sparkles.

Liked:

- Storyline, naturally you have to rescue your friend, but not boring. I don't need H0Gs to have amazing storylines, just enough to be entertaining.
- Music, nice and not annoying.
- Graphics and cut scenes were pretty.
- The ending wraps things up in a satisfying manner, even without the bonus chapter (which expands on the ending).
- Some backtracking involved, but not all over the place, just a small area at a time. Areas no longer needed were blocked off in a way that made sense.

Disliked:

- Nothing really stood out as annoying except maybe that a piece of conversation disappeared before I was finished reading it, but that only happened once.

If you like H0G and adventure games, I recommend this one. No abundance of creepy crawlies, but if you don't like demons in your game, you won't like this. For those of you on the fence about demons in the storyline, there's nothing gory or overly disturbing. The demon is mostly a smoke shape with glowing eyes and horns. Definitely give the demo a try.

Enjoy!

oscar66
Herring
Herring
307 Posts

[Post New]by oscar66 on Jan 29, 13 1:07 PM
Despite the sometimes laggy play I quite enjoyed this game. There was lots to do, good graphics and a pretty clear story. Love the achievements as always. I did steer clear of this game originally due to all the tech problems but picked it up on the sale and though I should give it a go before I tackled the second one in case there was a storyline crossover.

I did have issues with a repeated access error even after ensuring drivers were current. sometimes he popped up at the start, sometimes not.

All in all though it was a good few hours of gameplay.

[Post New]by busybroad on Nov 28, 13 8:54 PM
i liked the game also finished it in less than 8 hours got the awards also trying to beat the extras only I am a little lost when I cant get something to work right I have the can opener only I cant find the vent to open then find the woodsman if any of you can help I would appreciate the help the game is like the other ones I have like ravenhearst treasure seekers they are all good games if you like to find hidden objects good luck with the game I am hoping to get the extras done as well thanks busybroad

Go to: