ELadyG1013
Guppy
Guppy
133 Posts

Re:Reviews for Dark Tales: Edgar Allan Poe's The Premature Burial Collector's Edition

[Post New]by ELadyG1013 on Oct 13, 11 5:52 PM
I downloaded the Demo, when it was available,played it,and purchased it today! A birthday gift to myself I love this game!! Graphics are awesome,storyline is good,the hidden objects are very well placed,in plenty of LIGHT,another plus! I rate this one 5 out of 5 's. Thanks Devs and BFG

mar39
Guppy
Guppy
197 Posts

Re:Reviews for Dark Tales: Edgar Allan Poe's The Premature Burial Collector's Edition

[Post New]by mar39 on Oct 14, 11 6:49 PM
I liked the game very much. I just wish when they produce a game based on a Poe story, it would actually follow the story. Didn't think the bonus game was worth the extra price.

rockey69
Guppy
Guppy
179 Posts

[Post New]by rockey69 on Oct 15, 11 6:14 AM
alimac196 wrote:
juleslorraine wrote:A big thanks to those who posted reviews. I always come here before deciding if I'm going to demo something now...well, here and the tech side...so it's much appreciated when I wake up to full reviews on CE days!

Totally agree juleslorraine - I too very much rely on the reviews of the other fishies before deciding to download. Big shoutout to TeamSD, CasualGran, and LovetoMissLisa whose regular, honest and helpful opinions I have come to appreciate so much. Wish I could mention more posters but truthfully all opinions are helpful - so thanks fishies!

So far I have only downloaded the game and will edit with further opinion on the content, but will say that the download took a very long time in comparison to the normal time (took about an hour which is unusual as 30 mins or less is about the norm).

UPDATE: not sure how far through the game I am at the moment, but have been playing about 2.5 hours (but think there is at least another 1.5 hours more) and really enjoying this game so far - very much worth the download wait time. Beautiful graphics and interesting HOS, with interactive parts that make the HOS more than your standard click and find. Puzzles are not too difficult, but some have challenged the little grey cells, and the actual game play has some really interesting challenges too. Even without finishing I would recommend. Another excellent ERS offering that is worth the CE price.

I also like to come and check out what everyone has to say about a game before I play it, very helpful, thanks for the info

Edited on 10/15/2011 at 6:16:47 AM PST

BearKat
Stingray
Stingray
4,860 Posts

[Post New]by BearKat on Oct 15, 11 12:23 PM
Reviews have been detailed and thorough , so there is little left to say except thanks to all who posted. The graphics, gameplay, music are all great! I agree totally with all the good things said and have no complaints about the game. I have had no tech problems with the game play. The d/l took a few minutes longer today than usual, but not by much. I heartily recommend the game and the series. Told my husband I wanted CEs instead of for my birthday and this is one down! lol! Thanks Devs for a great game and for the mouse pad! Two s in one!! Now to continue my shopping spree!
Happy Gaming Fishies

eedebeep
Guppy
Guppy
181 Posts

rather **** hum and some poor editing

[Post New]by eedebeep on Oct 15, 11 12:59 PM
Good length, but is ERS getting into a rut? This is an Edgar Allen Poe story but they have reduced the creepy/scary factor to almost nothing. very disappointing!

someone should have edited the hidden object scenes better. Here are a few I found:

"clock" = hourglass.
"dragon" = fish
"doll" and there are 2 in the scene, only 1 is right choice
"box" = basket
"urn" = medallion

There is also WAY too much direction in the comments, and I was playing advanced mode. Puzzles weren't very challenging most of the time. I found myself just wanting to get the game over with so I could review it and play another.

GRADE: B-

Rachieroos
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,039 Posts

[Post New]by Rachieroos on Oct 16, 11 1:02 PM
I am super impressed! DL'd this last week and it didn't run, but today it did fine (no idea what's going on but my laptop and ERS seem to be friends again!).

Great graphics, music better left unmentioned , good puzzles. Really liked it. Is this an sample trial/demo? because I didn't finish it in the hour so am surprised, seems longer than the usual ERS.

May get this one tomorrow, am going to sleep on it

babbydoll1201
Minnow
Minnow
281 Posts

[Post New]by babbydoll1201 on Oct 16, 11 1:22 PM
Excellent game! I recommend the CE ...the bonus play is decent...the whole game length is great...i played it for a couple hours in a 3 day span. I love ERS games...the graphics & voice overs never diappoint. I rate this game 4.5 out of 5.......

[Post New]by Polishadmiral on Oct 16, 11 3:39 PM
I am at the easel and do not have the paint brush. I have done all that the strategy guide said, but can't find the paint brush! HELP! I'm stuck!!

jjj13
Squid
Squid
68 Posts

[Post New]by jjj13 on Oct 18, 11 3:31 AM
Just tried the demo of this game and it was great in every way except for being far too easy even in advanced mode. So will wait until the SE to buy.

sea_maid
Guppy
Guppy
115 Posts

[Post New]by sea_maid on Oct 18, 11 11:31 AM
Really liked the game, however, there are a few things that I think could have been better in it.

-The graphics: As much as I love the graphics of most games, this one felt one step short of great. Seems to me that the Black Cat (previous Dark Tale) had higher res. graphics than this one. So, polish it more for the next one.

-HOS : I'm all for a challenge, but some of the objects were impossible to see. There is a difference between hiding an object well, and simply making it difficult for no reason whatsoever.

-The ending: It could have been handled differently. I know that the two characters ending up together is technically what happened in the original story, but did they have to make it so cheesy? This is Edgar Allan Poe, master of the macabre, and putting an ending like that in the game seemed completely out of place.

The bonus gameplay was better than the ending of the regular game, and a much better ending to the whole game, in my opinion.

Overall, really good. But keep up with the graphics!

[Post New]by OnlyBoo1 on Oct 19, 11 9:54 AM
JUST WANTED TO SAY VERY PLEASED WITH THIS GAME.....I HAVE ALL EDGAR GAMES AND THIS ONE THEY EVEN TOOK IT FURTHER WITH THE GRAPHICS AND GAMEPLAY......QUALITY I HOPE THAT CONTINUES FOR THIS SERIES.

GOOD PLAY
GOOD GRAPHICS
GOOD MUSIC
ENJOY IT EVERYONE WORTH THE BUY!

blanckie
Seahorse
Seahorse
20 Posts

[Post New]by blanckie on Oct 20, 11 4:21 AM
This one was very good

Reviews for Dark Tales: Edgar Allan Poe's The Premature Burial Collector's Edition

[Post New]by beepbeep12 on Oct 21, 11 6:23 AM
bfgRhone wrote:Hi Fishies!

What do you think of Dark Tales: Edgar Allan Poe's The Premature Burial Collector's Edition? Feel free to share your thoughts and opinions about the game in this thread. We value your reviews, as do many of the other fishies in our pond! To help other players get the most out of your review, you could add a note stating if you played the trial or full version and how far you have gotten in the game!

A lot of fishies that will be reading this thread will have never played the game before. If you are posting spoilers, be sure to include the words SPOILER ALERT at the top of your post .

For any comments or discussions other than your general feedback on this game you can create a new discussion in the game forum. If you’re experiencing technical issues with this game, be sure to pop over to the support thread dedicated to the game <a href=http://forums.bigfishgames.com/posts/list/181105.page>here</a>.

Happy gaming!

bfgRhone

[Post New]by beepbeep12 on Oct 21, 11 6:34 AM
rockey69 wrote:
alimac196 wrote:
juleslorraine wrote:A big thanks to those who posted reviews. I always come here before deciding if I'm going to demo something now...well, here and the tech side...so it's much appreciated when I wake up to full reviews on CE days!

Totally agree juleslorraine - I too very much rely on the reviews of the other fishies before deciding to download. Big shoutout to TeamSD, CasualGran, and LovetoMissLisa whose regular, honest and helpful opinions I have come to appreciate so much. Wish I could mention more posters but truthfully all opinions are helpful - so thanks fishies!

So far I have only downloaded the game and will edit with further opinion on the content, but will say that the download took a very long time in comparison to the normal time (took about an hour which is unusual as 30 mins or less is about the norm).

UPDATE: not sure how far through the game I am at the moment, but have been playing about 2.5 hours (but think there is at least another 1.5 hours more) and really enjoying this game so far - very much worth the download wait time. Beautiful graphics and interesting HOS, with interactive parts that make the HOS more than your standard click and find. Puzzles are not too difficult, but some have challenged the little grey cells, and the actual game play has some really interesting challenges too. Even without finishing I would recommend. Another excellent ERS offering that is worth the CE price.

I also like to come and check out what everyone has to say about a game before I play it, very helpful, thanks for the info

[Post New]by beepbeep12 on Oct 21, 11 6:41 AM
Great game,now on the extra.Those of you that might be having a problem
don't give up.Have a coffee and continue your journey.you'll be glad you did.

Happy hunting!

Beingknown
Salmon
Salmon
2,670 Posts

[Post New]by Beingknown on Oct 22, 11 4:16 PM
I really found this game entertaining.

Lots of puzzles, places to explore, items to locate. Great graphics, enjoyable mini-games and voice-overs you may skip, if you’d like to.

For me, it has just the right degree of challenge to make me think a bit, without getting stuck, or feeling frustrated. Definitely suggest you at least demo it.

For me, it’s a winner.

[Post New]by bxpeeps on Oct 26, 11 10:12 AM
The shame! I've completed the game, collected all the roses but cannot access the bonus level - WHY? I was informed at the end of the game that the bonus level was available but from where and how? Sorry but please advise.

Jadakiss2000
Minnow
Minnow
209 Posts

[Post New]by Jadakiss2000 on Oct 29, 11 6:05 PM
Super game. Enjoyed it completely to the end. bxpeeps....I thought I couldn't access the bonus level too but once you click on Extra it will take you there. All you have to do is select Play and choose which level you'd like to play and it picks up where the game ended.

[Post New]by IsThatYou on Oct 31, 11 11:12 AM
Music, graphics and the story line were all superb!! I truly enjoyed this game especially towards the ending. Well done. Excellent

HoudiniCats
Lobster
Lobster
93 Posts

Re:Reviews for Dark Tales: Edgar Allan Poe's The Premature Burial Collector's Edit

[Post New]by HoudiniCats on Nov 6, 11 10:09 PM
textrekkie wrote:The kindest thing I can say about the sound track is that it can be turned all the way down. Parts of it sound like a bad French "B" movie (or it could be a bad American "B" movie depicting life in France - take your pick); parts of it sound almost Romanian (and that's not intended as an insult to the good people of Romania); other parts sound like they could be from a movie about life as a beast of burden. But no one part of it sounds like it belongs in a game with this subject matter and all of the parts certainly didn't go together.

Of great disappointment were the HOS. They are re-used too often. The art work within the scenes was low caliber. There were scenes where I received items that I didn't have to find; scenes in which brushes looked like jar lids, purses looked like a scrap of fabric, a spike was a stalk of wheat, plurals often listed for singular items, plus there was a level of "clicky-picky" that got to be very frustrating in the interactive HOS and all interactive graphic scenes in the game (trying to put objects on tables, etc.). Most of the puzzles are very easy to solve; however, they were unique and interesting and fun to play. I'm still not sure what to say about the find the roses. What was that all about? Was it meant to be fun? They really weren't even hidden...

Total play time for me using the mode where the skip/hint button recharges more slowly and active zones are not highlighted, using no hints and no skips and no SG (which does bookmark) was 4.0 hours. The bonus game added an additional 1.0 hour, for a total of 5.0 hours game time. The bonus game does NOT affect the ending of the game and is not necessary to enjoy the natural ending of the game. It is an entirely separate addendum to the ending, which will not diminish the enjoyment of those who decide to purchase the SE. So for good storyline, story development, excellent graphics, good use of voiceovers, cut scenes, ambient/background FX, I'm giving the game 3 out of 5 possible stars. I'm withholding 2 stars for the music, the HOS scenes, the clicky-picky interactive scenes and all the clues given in object descriptions/game play.

Great review...and just what I was looking for: the length of the game and whether the bonus play effected the end of the game!

Thanks!

Edited on 11/06/2011 at 10:11:22 PM PST

Go to: