Reviews for Haunted Halls: Fears from Childhood Collector's Edition

[Post New]by sharonklaus8567 on Oct 22, 11 10:01 PM
I just bought this game...didn't try it because when I got the email about and watched the video, I was hooked instantly ! I own it now and it's a great game !....Sharon

Janie42
Clownfish
Clownfish
598 Posts

Re:Reviews for Haunted Halls: Fears from Childhood Collector's Edition

[Post New]by Janie42 on Oct 22, 11 11:03 PM
Beingknown wrote:I was saddened and surprised to realize that a couple of you felt insulted by the terms “casual” and “serious” gamers. I wasn't trying to be unkind to any gamers or insulting to anyone or to the game itself.

By "serious" I mean intellectually demanding. So, when I am in the mood for a serious challenge, I want a game that is quite difficult, makes me think very hard, and may have puzzles that confuse and/or stump me until I finally work them out. When I am in the mood for a more casual game, I like one that is less cognitively taxing and is therefore, as I said in my post “Straightforward and simple”. I will sometimes enjoy those too.

The review is of the game, not the people who play the games. A great many of my friends prefer to be called “casual gamers” because they want to just have fun and not feel too challenged with cognitive conundrums . If I say simply that a game is "easy", it hurts their feelings. So, I write reviews with them in mind, and their preferred verbiage, which is the common nomenclature found in the game forums. Sorry if you took umbrage. There was no malicious intent on my part.

These reviews are just our humble opinions, and at least on my part, are always just about the game, not those who do or don’t like the game. I apologize if anyone’s feelings were hurt or insulted.

IMHO, nothing insulting was said:
"casual games/casual gamers" --
is the industry-accepted standard nomenclature!
As well, 100% I agree: reviews are of games--not players.
In my view, nothing you've said needs to be apologized for--but it's very kind of you to have such care about the feelings of some folks.

katiepops
Guppy
Guppy
152 Posts

[Post New]by katiepops on Oct 25, 11 12:20 PM
I thoroughly enjoyed this one as much as the first. The graphics are good and clear, the storyline is interesting and the game is just long enough, not too short or too long.
Two thumbs up!

silverink
Minnow
Minnow
200 Posts

[Post New]by silverink on Oct 25, 11 2:09 PM
Well, I did like it, but it was exactly what I expected - clear graphics, smooth game play, and nice mindless fun. The downside for me is that ERS games are becoming games that I play when I don't have time to focus and become immersed in a great game, in other words, in between the types of games I really look forward to that are more challenging with a great background story.

I wish the ERS games were not all so similar and easy, but I still enjoy them - I just don't expect to be challenged or wowed by them anymore...

One thing I have noticed though, on the last several - the graphics seem to be more like concept art in sections of the games - I hope that is not going to be a new ERS trend, just to get these games out faster.

Overall, good and consistent with recent releases by ERS, but their quality has definitely been going downhill.

calamari7
Guppy
Guppy
181 Posts

[Post New]by calamari7 on Oct 25, 11 2:48 PM
..............eekk! The ((((( tenacles are back )))))........this game follows Haunted Halls: Green Hills Sanitarium, and we are looking to find Tim [remember, he got zapped into a worm hole at the end], and save him from the clutches of the evil Dr. Blackmore. Before we find him, we have 5 children to save from their nightmares [that have been conjoured up for them]. Going through a series of doors, we are confronted by different sets of problems to solve. Good story concept, artwork/graphics, lots of HOG scenes, and medium puzzles to do. Always love that I always find the rhythm of ERS, but do use the SG from time to time. ERS is always a buy for me!!! ......... .......... .......... .........happy gaming e1!!!

qpr1
Clownfish
Clownfish
733 Posts

[Post New]by qpr1 on Oct 25, 11 6:22 PM
nice game, lousy soundtrack!

as usual i will wait for the se

[Post New]by wendylosangeles on Oct 25, 11 8:13 PM
absolutely LOVED it.....

garhawk
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
19 Posts

[Post New]by garhawk on Oct 28, 11 9:59 AM
LOVE this game! The storyline and game play is just right! ERS has done it again! I only have 12 minutes left on the trial version and zero game credits left. MUST PLAY GAME! Will be purchasing this one. Way to go!!!

goldens
Guppy
Guppy
100 Posts

[Post New]by goldens on Oct 28, 11 2:14 PM
I just finished this game, and enjoyed every minute of it. There hasn't been an ERS game I have played that wasn't top quality, and this one is no exception.

Claudiy
Starfish
Starfish
45 Posts

[Post New]by Claudiy on Oct 28, 11 3:16 PM
This was a day one buy for me, because I absolutely loved Haunted Halls: Green Hills Sanitarium.

It did not dissapoint!

Graphics are lovely, story is great (an original dark story) and music/sound is also good.
So even though I enjoyed this game, I have one small criticism: it was not challenging enough.
(maybe that's just because of my high expectations).

Still, I like it!

[Post New]by feenix2011 on Oct 28, 11 9:03 PM
Just finished "Fears". Loved it! Exciting and challenging enough to be interesting. And even tho I dislike the HOS, they weren't all that bad. They were easy and had enough interacting to make them O.K. I thoroughtly enjoyed myself!!

feenix

jennylou21
Seahorse
Seahorse
25 Posts

[Post New]by jennylou21 on Oct 30, 11 3:37 AM
i really love this game,best one ever,and i buy a lot of games,great story..thank you.

Eoarod
Flounder
Flounder
2,391 Posts

[Post New]by Eoarod on Nov 4, 11 8:51 PM
Tossing my had in the difficulty level ring...the latest games do seem more linear - so "easier" - I thought on this one they'd have scored if they'd designed each "nightmare" then randomly decided which came first, second, third...that would've solved the issue of them becoming shorter as you went.

That said - maybe we ARE just getting much better at playing them

THAT being said - I'll still buy them the second they come out - they are just so, so, so pretty I get lost in them!! They just have an ephemeral quality I can't resist I somehow missed actually playing Amber Maiden & started it last nite - the beauty of that inspired me to trot back here and toss my hat

Of super import to folks new to BFG - DO try ERS games even if some of us seem a bit jaded - if you are new to them - they will blow your socks off!!

bessiegirl
Clownfish
Clownfish
738 Posts

[Post New]by bessiegirl on Nov 9, 11 3:25 PM
Like a fool, I purchased another CE when I should have waiting for the SE. Nothing to this CE as a "bonus" except the usual screensaver, music crapola...no bonus game.

Enjoyed the game, nice length but with soooooooooo many HOGs I actually lost track of the whole story for awhile. Probably should do a spell check before publication....something about doing something "bag" to the flytrap flowers LOL.

Still upset I wasted money once again on a CE....my advice, wait for the SE, however you will enjoy this game....ending is a bit weak and quick tho.

pvsquare
Guppy
Guppy
177 Posts

[Post New]by pvsquare on Nov 11, 11 12:40 PM
I am a big fan of ERS games. Have not been disappointed with any of their games. The graphics, hints, and the sound is spot on for me. I also like that the SG stays were I left off without having it go back to the beginning. 5 out of 5

Jadakiss2000
Minnow
Minnow
209 Posts

[Post New]by Jadakiss2000 on Nov 13, 11 4:00 PM
BRAVO, ERS! Loved every minute of it. My kind of game. Please make more like this. The story is excellent and the scenes were incredible. I loved all the places I visited aside from the fears that is. I hope there will be a third. We would like to think it's over for the Dr. but who really knows.

Tomsde
Guppy
Guppy
132 Posts

[Post New]by Tomsde on Dec 5, 11 7:32 PM
I must admit that I was a little apprehensive about this game because I found Green Hills Sanitorium to be a bit too grim for my tastes and a bit disturbing. I'm glad to say that this game produced a creepy atmosphere without going "over the top". I am getting tired of rescuing children though. I buy every ERS game and always have a good game playing experience. The artwork is beautifully executed, although I must admit I'm partial to the anachronistic Victorian look to some of their offerings and am not as found of the contemporary ones. The animation and voice overs were excellent.

The game did fill my entire monitor, but not without stretching a bit and the 4:3 aspect ratio version makes the items a bit too small to play effectively. I echo the request for true full screen resolution--or at least a letter boxed version where things aren't stretched by still display at a larger size. Regardless of that, it's still a high quality offering with lots of game play for the money. The extra chapter was very well done and not just an advertisement for the next in the sequel as many bonus chapters tend to be. I give it an A +!

blujeens
Guppy
Guppy
101 Posts

[Post New]by blujeens on Dec 17, 11 2:33 PM
OK, here's my review of Haunted Halls: Fears from Childhood CE:

Graphics: These graphics are typical of ERS - they are nice, but not clear. However I believe that the darker, grainier colors add to the ambience of the game, not take away from it. There are other devs that use clearer and brighter colors in their "dark" games which I also enjoy, but this dev seems to prefer this style. I personally don't see anything wrong with it as long as you know what game type you're dealing with.

Voices/Sounds: Voice-overs were good, though infrequent. Sounds were good also, but lacking in the HOGs which makes them more interesting. Options provided sliders for music, sound, plus checks for full screen and custom cursor.

Music: Yup, I knew I was listening to ERS when I heard the same old tunes again. The music itself is not bad, it's just that I got tired of hearing the same 3 or 4 tunes over and over again. Plus, I think ERS should have at least a couple different musical scores for each different game instead of the same ol' same ol'. The music is one of the reasons why I buy CEs.

Minis/HOGs: I was disappointed in the HOGs cuz the quality of the scenes were even darker and grainier than the rest of the game. Playing Modes were Regular & Expert. I chose Expert and still had sparkles anyway. There were Skip options available for the minis. I also noticed that people had a difficult time trying to find the bonus play. You need to click on Extras and down in the lower left hand corner is the word Play, and you click on that. It took me a few minutes to figure it out, too. Very, very confusing, and I would ask the devs to make the bonus play a little easier to recognize next time.

Game Overall: It took me about 5 1/2 hours plus another good hour for the bonus play, but like many other fishes in the pond, I thought the logic and linear play of the game was too easy. Maybe I've just gotten better thru the years, or maybe the challenges just aren't there or things have become very predictable. I liked the game, I had a good time playing it, but I can't say that it's my favorite ERS game, either.

Recommendation: I think HOG lovers will like this one, too, but know that it's a darker game in colors than some others. I didn't think that it was very scary for me personally, but little ones might feel differently. I would play this game again.

Out of 5 stars, I would give this game

[Post New]by itzsnowbunny on Feb 2, 12 6:37 PM
If I had played this game first, and Green Hills second I think I would be perfectly happy. Green Hills was a lot more challenging to me, and I'm sure has less HOS games. This was good, great graphics, etc, but just grab and place, no real challenges. I was a little disappointed, but that's probably because I was hoping for Green Hills again. Oh, and there were SEVERAL weird mistakes in the text, and the spelling on the HOS. OOPS!

lisablue4369
Flounder
Flounder
2,105 Posts

[Post New]by lisablue4369 on Jun 16, 12 5:41 AM

Edited on 06/19/2012 at 5:18:16 AM PST

Go to: