Re:Reviews for Time Mysteries: The Ancient Spectres Collector's Edition

[Post New]by hideobjectaddict on Nov 12, 11 10:56 PM
grandmab3248 "Well, make me #4 in the minority."
vicalana "And I'm number 5."
hideobjecaddict " Just add me as well, whatever number. Yes, numb is a good word for this game, blah, hazy, unclear, sad looking hand that reaches for inventory items, what drew that? Unimpressed, except for the game length.

[Post New]by LapTopDancerr on Nov 13, 11 5:59 AM
Can somebody who has finished this game tell me and the other fishies if this game comes to a satisfactory ending without the bonus portion? The only time I buy CE's is when a SE ends abruptly. I wish I could buy all the CEs that are released but I can only manage 1 or 2 over a few months due to finances. So it's a really special day when I do buy one. You can PM me so it doesn't get lost in all the reviews if you like. Thanks in advance!
P.S.
I must not understand something about this game. The graphics, story and voice overs are great, but I don't see how this game can take up to a week to complete. I thought I'd try the demo during the sale incentive today and the amount of time I spent on the first 2 chapters multiplied times the chapters including the bonus.... would take me 3 hours to complete. I have never finished any game in that time. (That's how slow I am). The guide shows approx 4 to 5 pages per chapter. I am already more than halfway through chapter 2 playing on expert, using 2 hints for H0s and I'm definitely not an expert ... What am I missing that everyone is raving about? Thank you

Pixielate
Guppy
Guppy
159 Posts

[Post New]by Pixielate on Nov 13, 11 7:45 PM
I'm afraid I can't get this one. It would have been a great game except for all of the 'junkpiles'. My eyes finally had enough of it. What a shame, but it's apparently just me. I really wanted to get this one!

lunachan
Guppy
Guppy
171 Posts

[Post New]by lunachan on Nov 16, 11 6:08 PM
I know my eyes are bad but I wear glasses ...Did have a prob seeing things in scenes but let me get to the point:
Here's my (hopefully ) helpful review of trial:
Story: yea we've heard it b4 but it's great/intriguing!
Game play: excellent, hint system, not too much hand holding;perfect SG
Atmosphere: voice overs!!! spooky but more on the mystery side
Music: Original; not annoying- appropriate for scene changes
Puzzles/Mini games: Not too hard; seems to advance as you play
Time: Seems pretty long because you have a lot to do and better have some extra sneakers
Overall: 4 out of 5
Only 4 cuz I can't reply on bonus yet- but I'm sure others can
So........yes I will buy this game...soon

I suggest dling it if you're still on the fence
Thank you Devs, great job

*Edited cuz I 4got something

Edited on 11/16/2011 at 6:14:35 PM PST

_coral_
Seahorse
Seahorse
22 Posts

[Post New]by _coral_ on Nov 18, 11 12:05 PM
I normally don't post reviews even though I play alot of games. This game was okay but I wish I had waited for the SE. The bonus chapter was incredibly short and not worth twice the money. I only buy the CE for the bonus play because I don't use any of the other "extras"!

holland34
Seahorse
Seahorse
23 Posts

[Post New]by holland34 on Nov 18, 11 7:19 PM
I was really lovin' this game. Great in every category. But it became so darn complicated in the last couple of chapters that my tiny brain hurt. I'm usually pretty good at these games but I am hugging the Strategy guide at this point and I'm not sure it's much fun any more. However, apart from struggling as I am now, I'm dying to find out how it all ends, so I'll keep plugging on. And it's definitly been worth the cash just to have gotten this far.

[Post New]by seamonkey31 on Nov 20, 11 7:16 AM
The graphics were beautiful and well done. I enjoyed the little twists on the HOGs where you had to perform two steps on some objects to obtain them. I don' t get tired of spooky old mansions, however I get tired of going to the same place back and forth, which you end up doing ALOT in this game. I played the expert mode which removes the ! and ? from the time machine, so you have to just keep going back and forth to every scene to figure out where you're next clue is, which is usually another HOG that will trigger your next task. I found it a bit redundant and got a little bored and frustrated from time to time. I felt uninvested in the characters and did not really feel the sense of urgency to solve the mystery as I have in several other games. I more enjoy a game that unravels itself and takes you to new places as you advance. I bought the CE edition and found the bonus game more fun and exciting than the actual game. Overall, not bad, but definatly not a favorite.

spenny1
Catfish
Catfish
1,637 Posts

[Post New]by spenny1 on Nov 21, 11 11:14 AM
Another great game from Artifex Mundi. They really seem to be trying to do something special every time, and I hope they keep coming up with more great concepts.

2 levels of difficulty, and I was a bit confused why my device wasn't showing up areas of interest, but they only appear on the casual setting. The great thing is though you can change the setting without coming out of the game. I played on expert except when I got a bit stuck, then changed to casual and looked at the device. Perfect! There is a strategy guide too if you need extra help.

You can toggle between IHOGs and match 3 games, so you can find some objects and then toggle to match 3 the others if you want. There are also 2 hints systems, one which points out where the object is, and a sonar which gives the sillouette.

I love the fact that it's a time travel game, and means going to the past to change the present/future, so there are plenty of areas to explore.

Most puzzles were fairly simple, but enjoyable, and a few that required a little more thought. Also a good balance of puzzles to IHOGs.

Lovely graphics, smooth gameplay with no glitches, and the music was quite pleasant.

Around 5 hours of fun, with another 1 for the bonus.

The extras are extra gameplay, wallpapers and the chance to replay some of the puzzles. The bonus play doesn't really add to the story and I don't think you'd miss out if you got the SE if you only get the CEs for bonus play. Having said that I'm quite happy that I didn't wait and got the CE.

Thumbs up from me, looking forward to their next offering

Edited on 11/21/2011 at 11:16:45 AM PST

ELadyG1013
Guppy
Guppy
133 Posts

[Post New]by ELadyG1013 on Nov 27, 11 11:52 AM
This was a very interesting game. After playing the trial version, I knew that I wanted to buy it ! The more I played, it seemed to be a little confusing, but once I got the hang of it it was really nice !! Not just your run of the mill kinda game....and the going back in between time periods was pretty cool. The Hidden OS were not too easy, but they were difficult either. The bonus round was also nice...I would give this game 4 and 1/2 's out of 5 !! Thanks AM (Devs) and to BFG !

Tundei
Clownfish
Clownfish
653 Posts

[Post New]by Tundei on Nov 28, 11 9:11 PM
FORTUNATUS wrote: Well, I'm not getting what all the rave is about.... I am finding this to be very hazy visually overall, too dark and saturated in color, cluttered and undefined as far as the locations and the SFX is annoying... flow of the game is off and disjointed AND the voice acting is, well, very 'acted'....

Just can't get into this one at all.

Disappointed because with all the excitement, I thought it would be a real winner for me, but, NOT.

Oh well to each their own.

Agree.

dakini
Guppy
Guppy
152 Posts

[Post New]by dakini on Jan 8, 12 2:45 AM
I love this game! Can't believe the demo is over. I was a bit worried that I wouldn't care for it since the first one is not one of my favorites. Loved the time scenes but collecting the objects between times was not my favorite at all. But this one rocks. I love the machine. I can see where people are coming from when they don't like the graphics but it does set a mood. Even talking to the people on the street. Really want the CE but I kind of hurt myself in the CE sale. And of course there are the other CE's we Mac people are still waiting for. Azada 3 and EFR, when oh when?????

kelsie2
Guppy
Guppy
171 Posts

[Post New]by kelsie2 on Jan 29, 12 9:01 AM
Great !!!My Time is up in demo and I have to wait until next month as I have just filled my punch card.....
Dakini.....I HAVE Azada 3 on my mac and left it to try this demo ... it came out some weeks ago
Back to Ancient spectres.. I will buy this game for sure even though I do not often buy CEs I think this one may be worth it !!!
Best game I have tried for some time !!

Tikatoy
Minnow
Minnow
269 Posts

[Post New]by Tikatoy on Mar 3, 12 12:27 AM
If you've played Time Mysteries: Inheritance this is a HUGE improvement over that game.

The best part of the game was the time travel aspect and the way you could make changes in the past that would affect the future. You get a time travel device that doubles as a map that lets you take shortcuts to various locations in the game. This is especially useful as it highlights locations where there's a puzzle, inventory item or hidden object scene.

I really like the art style for this game. It has a bit more of a dreamy, surrealistic look to it that I really appreciated, especially for the locations in the abandoned, burned out mansion. The heavy layer of dust and cobwebs that covers everything looks gorgeous, especially after the rooms are illuminated by the strange creatures that looks like flaming butterflies.

The hidden object scenes were fun, and you had the option to switch to/from a mini-game (a variation on Match 3) at any time to help complete the scene, similar to Phantasmat. The puzzles were of average difficulty for the most part, although I found myself spending a little extra time on some of them.

I really liked the bonus content. It took me about 1.5 hours to play and included a unique puzzle that required being to visualize the inverse of an image (like a film negative). It was both a prequel AND sequel (this IS a time travel game!) to the main game and was a fun complement to the story.

gwladys99
Squid
Squid
65 Posts

[Post New]by gwladys99 on Mar 9, 12 6:30 PM
I am really enjoying this game. What I do like is the fact that I can leave it, then come back and not lose the thread of the story.
The music though was grating and so was the voice over. I turned both of and other than that the game is well worth the money. Much better than some of the rubbish that has been passed of as adveture and stories.
Not very good at this but the previous reviews said it all. I just had to get my six cents worth in. Something I seldom do

gwladys99
Squid
Squid
65 Posts

[Post New]by gwladys99 on Mar 9, 12 6:31 PM
I am really enjoying this game. What I do like is the fact that I can leave it, then come back and not lose the thread of the story.
The music though was grating and so was the voice over. I turned both of and other than that the game is well worth the money. Much better than some of the rubbish that has been passed of as adveture and stories.
Not very good at this but the previous reviews said it all. I just had to get my six cents worth in. Something I seldom do
gwladys99

gwladys99
Squid
Squid
65 Posts

[Post New]by gwladys99 on Mar 9, 12 6:31 PM
gwladys99

blujeens
Guppy
Guppy
101 Posts

[Post New]by blujeens on Apr 3, 12 7:16 PM
OK, here's my review of Time Mysteries: The Ancient Spectres CE:

Options: Included are Music, Sound, Cursor, Expert, Full Screen & Aspect. Game Modes are Regular or Expert. The Bonus or Extra Game was available only after the main game was complete, and once the bonus was complete, you have access to Wallpaper, Mini-Games from the main game, & an encyclopedia of sorts with info about the people, places, magic items, etc.

Graphics: I've played a whole lot of games, and I cannot say that the graphics in this game were clear and concise compared to others. The cutscenes were short and "stiff" and at times, the text didn't read the same as the voice-overs, expecially during the bonus game.

Voices/Sounds/Music: Nothing special for me with the voices and sounds which were few and far in-between. And for once, I'm not put-off by the fact that the music wasn't available for download in the Extras. Wow, it was that bad!

Minis/HOGs: The mini games were good, and I don't know if it was cuz I was tired or what, but some of the games were really difficult. The HOGs were just plain junkpiles, and I don't know what fishes played the expert mode and had no sparkles, but I also played in expert mode, and I had green sparkles for every HOG.

Game Overall: This game was ok, but try as I might, I just can't agree with the majority of the peeps this time. It was very monotonous for me to be constantly jumping back & forth in time & places. Altho I really wish I could have enjoyed this game more, I was very disappointed with the devs, Artifex Mundi. And for those of you trying to decide between the CE & SE (if there's anyone left), you don't need the bonus game to have a good ending. It was so lengthy for me (probably close to 9 or 10 hours) that I was getting sick of it and wanted it to end.

Recommendation: It's a good game if you're looking for length or like time-jumping games. Nothing scary.

Out of 5 stars, I give this

oscar66
Herring
Herring
307 Posts

[Post New]by oscar66 on Apr 16, 12 9:30 PM
I'm up to the fix the fire sign section and I am totally immersed. I think it is a great game. I love the time travel device and the "future change" aspect. It is a unique addition. The map is wonderful as well. I always love to "energize" to a new location versus traipsing along back back back etc to a prior scene..

I highly recommend this one and if my bed wasn't calling I'd probably stay up until the wee hours to finish it. Enjoy!

roaming
Clownfish
Clownfish
644 Posts

[Post New]by roaming on Jun 6, 12 1:42 AM
I didn't like this one at all, mostly because having to click on the hint button over and over and over again isn't my idea of a good game. I did appreciate that the hints were always on (took no time to refill), but for me it was like *click hint, do that, click hint, do that, click hint, do that....*

Dialogue
Minnow
Minnow
202 Posts

[Post New]by Dialogue on Jun 6, 12 11:10 AM
This is a really nice game to play. It offered everything a collector's edition should offer and more. I loved that I could play match 3 games to find objects instead of looking for them in a jumbled mess. I like the interactive hidden objects but the others are starting to bore me.

Another thing I did not like is the dismal, faded colors. For some reason developers can't seem to understand that scenes don't have to be dark and dreary to be scary. In this case a boarded up house would probably be dark and dusty but a whole game of it makes me want to . Make a game that is colorful and I'll buy it. I won't buy this game even for $6.99.

I rate this game out of 5 and for the dark, dreary, fuzzy graphics.

Go to: