FORTUNATUS
Clownfish
Clownfish
883 Posts

Re:Reviews for Hallowed Legends: Templar Collector's Edition

[Post New]by FORTUNATUS on Dec 9, 11 4:36 PM
It appear to me that this game is warped as far as it's aim AGAINST the "evil and horrible" Templar.

I'm sure most know, but the Templar Knights formed in the Middle Ages and their purpose was to provide protection to people. Pilgrimages to Jerusalem were made by people in the Middle Ages who had been guaranteed their safety in the city. In the early part of the year 1000, Jerusalem was taken by the Turks and Christians were treated so badly that throughout Christendom people were stirred to fight in crusades and the Templar Knights were formed to to ensure the safety of the pilgrims of the Middle Ages who flocked towards Jerusalem.

The Templar Knights were mainly formed by poor soldiers initially and went through rigid training, and harsh conditions, little food, etc. Their purpose was to reduce the dangers to which the pilgrim were exposed, to guard the honor of female pilgrims, and to protect the venerable palmers, nine knights formed a holy brotherhood in arms, and entered into a solemn contract to aid one another in clearing the highways through Palestine of dangers, and in protecting the pilgrims through the passes and mountains on the route to the Holy City of Jerusalem. Later they built fortresses to protect people's money while they traveled (the first banks) and eventually they did amass a lot of $ because of this... later when a french King (forget name) demanded money from them to use in WAR, they refused and were then tortured into false confessions and therefore broke down.... In viewing the video, it seems the Templar is the bad guy you want to escape??? ie. the villain?? Huh?

So, anyway, it seems to me it would be more fun to play the Templar Knight than to fight him, so I won't be buying this game. It's got a warped and weird angle IMO.

Otherwise, hope YOU enjoy playing (as it appears others have).

FORTUNATUS
Clownfish
Clownfish
883 Posts

[Post New]by FORTUNATUS on Dec 9, 11 4:39 PM
moonlightgrey wrote:The Templars,Knights of the Holy Temple of Jerulsalem, as originally concieved were Christian warrior heroes (I know it doesn't play well today).

They were hounded by French king Louis whichever, for their money and tortured by the Inquisiton (who should all have been boiled in oil), who were pawns of Pope Innocent whichever for their strength and popularity.

No! I am not a Catholic, But Jaques de Molay was a saint.

Elephant!!!!! Don't meddle with history!

Hey, I just posted a reply similar to yours and was scanning posts when I saw yours.... Yep, I would rather play the Templar Knight protecting innocent people than THIS ~ hello?! The Templar is being portrayed as the VILLAIN? LOL!! I would buy because it had beautiful graphics but only IF it was portrayed correctly since the TRUTH would be an awesome game .. the KNIGHT protecting people.... but this is twisted around for some reason!!?? Too weird. Where are they coming from?

Edited on 12/09/2011 at 4:46:46 PM PST

dakini
Guppy
Guppy
152 Posts

[Post New]by dakini on Dec 11, 11 2:58 AM
Hmmm. From some of the posts I expected to love this. And it's okay. Just finished the demo and the puzzles just aren't quite ... Since I'm not attached to the Templar history and mythos that doesn't bother me but it doesn't grab me either.

Never did look at the notebook but having it madly writting when I wasn't doing anything was a bit annoying.

I'm on the fence with this. CE sounds like it's worth it if you like the story but do I care enough to get it or is it a SE DD? Just don't know.

marg6043
Clownfish
Clownfish
582 Posts

[Post New]by marg6043 on Dec 15, 11 10:36 AM
I had this game demo for a while, finally I played it and I had to buy it, love the graphics the mystery and even on the challenging level Is a great game to play.

meb28
Starfish
Starfish
52 Posts

Re:Reviews for Hallowed Legends: Templar Collector's Edition Spoiler Alert!!!!!

[Post New]by meb28 on Jan 1, 12 3:20 PM
Ok, I have to admit I played this game becaue of the Templar in the title. I loved the graphics, movies and voice overs. For the most part job well done! A few little annoyances though: One the madman! I thought he died saving you but yet in the end you see him watching from the church spire as your brother Carl (who's still wearing Templar armor) tells you that this will become just another footnote in the town's history. I also didn't care for the save the wife or stop the warlock choice. It's supposed to be a holy relic for crying out loud! Couldn't it do both?! Or am I too demanding? I also didn't understand the soul sucking bit. If this mayor was over hundred years old and sacrificing his people to keep himself alive why didn't he get a more deserving end? Great game, except for my annoyances. Not sorry I paid for it this time like a few others I could mention. But they needed to explain themselves more. Were the Templars the bad guys? Or were they guarding the relic from the true baddie and lost their purpose along the way? The game doesn't tell you and it's sort of confusing. So in the end you must decide to buy or not to buy. You may or may not be disappointed with your choice.

blujeens
Guppy
Guppy
101 Posts

[Post New]by blujeens on Jan 14, 12 5:51 PM
OK, here's my review for Hallowed Legends: Templar CE:

Options: This included Music, Environmental, Effects, Voice, Gamma, Full Screen & Custom Cursor. Game Modes were Casual, Advanced or Hard. The CE offered an Extra Game, Wallpaper, Concept Art & Music.

Graphics: Beautifully done, but unlike many other fishes, I did NOT like the live actor cutscenes. The faces didn't show the appropriate emotions, lips didn't move, and they seemed "stiff" in movements. I would stick to the animations next time.

Voices/Sounds/Music: There were some voice-overs, as well as sounds, but I did enjoy the music & was happy to see that I could download the different scores.

Minis/HOGs: I played Advanced & found the minis were just hard enough that I only had to skip one game. The HOGs were junkpiles, but on the plus side, you didn't go back to the same pile over & over again. The Skip Option never took very long, and when I needed help finding the last hidden object or something, the SG always stayed right where I left it.

Game Overall: I, too, was a little bothered by the initial attempt to make the Templars look like the bad guys, which was how the game seemed to start, but after playing the game thru, I'm still a little confused as to how many bad guys there really were. I think the bonus game lasted about an hour for me, and although you don't really need it to finish the game, it did tie up a couple loose ends. Using live actors with apparent little acting experience left me a little cold on this one, along with the weird twist on history. I hate to say this but I felt disappointment with this game. Almost forgot - you need to locate 50 doves/pigeons during the game, but don't worry if you miss any cuz the game offered a few extra birds to find, just in case!

Recommendations: Elephant games are usually one of my favorites, but the twists in this one left me scratching my head. I would recommend that fishes play this one with an open mind if you have any hope of enjoying it.

Out of 5 stars, I would give this game

Edited on 01/14/2012 at 6:26:43 PM PST

Akela16
Guppy
Guppy
193 Posts

[Post New]by Akela16 on Jan 20, 12 6:54 PM
I'm playing on an APPLE iMAC running Snow Leopard 10.6.8

Everything ran smoothly. I did experience a few long pregnant pauses ... but I also experience this in browsing and opening applications ... so I think it's a bug my computer has picked up.

SUPER GAME ! I've finished the main game as well as the "BONUS" gameplay. It's a good thing the "help" provided very concise information about what and where to go next. Without that, I would have spent a long time searching previously visited locations for clues. The strategy guide was also very useful. The 'Help" also recharged quickly. Some interesting puzzles and some interactive puzzles in most of the HOG scenes .... added a lot of interesting puzzlement.

This was a very enjoyable game, and not on the usual haunted or occult theme ... a bit of fresh air for the player.

lisablue4369
Flounder
Flounder
2,105 Posts

[Post New]by lisablue4369 on Jun 16, 12 5:38 AM

Edited on 06/19/2012 at 5:18:53 AM PST

Tywee
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
10 Posts

[Post New]by Tywee on Aug 3, 12 5:34 PM
First of all let me just say this was the best game I've ever played. The graphics were beautifully done with the real people in it. Also the music was amazing, I listen to it every day (Even right now). The challenge of the game was quite hard where I found myself using the strategy guide over and over again. The best part of the game that I found was that even when I was tired or over at a friends I found myself wanting to keep playing the game until i beat it (And yes it took me a week to beat it). All in all I would rate it 11/10 (And yes, it was that good).

Laflamme
Stingray
Stingray
4,512 Posts

[Post New]by Laflamme on Aug 25, 12 6:28 AM
You know from my other reviews that I like to structure them in a neat, tidy positive, neutral, negative list. I will have to break this one up a little this time.

You are summoned to a small town in France because of a family letter. As soon as you get there you are threatened by a Templar, in addition to that somebody blows up the town's dam.

+ graphics are good,
+ videos well done

+ integrated real life actors...
- who don't move their lips when speaking
- who speak English, not even with a French accent
- so why set this story in France???

+ diverse puzzles
o some of them could have been explained better

+ it's clear what to do at the beginning
- however, later on gameplay becomes more and more confusing the more areas open up...
- ...because we do not get an "Area complete" sign...
- ...which leads to a lot of running around like a headless chicken

+ map
o that tells you where you are...
o ...and nothing else

+ interactive HO scenes...
+ ...that require items from your inventory from time to time...
- ...but open up even if you don't have the required item in the inventory...
- ...which leads to confusion

Bonus Gameplay: Additional scenes pick up immediately after the conclusion of the story. So, essentially it puts a twist on the ending, and clears up a loose end. It closes up some areas, making it easier to understand and navigate. Play time was around 45 minutes. There are two different endings with marginally different results, depending on a decision right at the end. Essentially it's nothing to write home about, the normal ending does it too.

Bottom Line: Starts out good, gets tedious later. If you like the series, have a look, if not, you don't miss much. No recommendation to either side.

gingergal
Manatee
Manatee
3,873 Posts

[Post New]by gingergal on Oct 17, 12 1:10 PM
The time before elephant giving us the transporter map and how I miss it here! Although this has the bells and whistles of a CE and is a very good quality game, compared to their other later games it’s not a 5 star game although I had a good time playing this game but I think this is the shortest game I’ve played from them which was disappointing.

The really good graphics and in the HOS are here, as well as their usual great cutscenes, although you can see how they have improved on the live actors (although lip synch here is good and later games it’s not) and tweaking in other areas. As well as live actors they have this dialogue box which comes up and on it static picture of the character speaking which I didn’t like.

Choice of 3 hardness which you can change mid game. There is also a diary, and you can replay all cutscenes.

If you are a fan of the knight templars you really have to play the whole game to understand what is going on, that’s all I will say as I don’t want to spoil anything.

21 PUZZLES

A couple are unique but quite a few are ‘oldies’. They are varied hardness but most are easy or easy/medium. I did enjoy them.

17 HOS

All list type quite a few were junk pile or really cluttered. All interactive and on top of that, you need an inventory item for the HOS so you may have to come back to the HOS if you haven’t found it yet. No random click penalty. A fair few were hard to find but didn’t find any tiny just some small items. No repeating of HOS.

CE EXTRAS

50 collectable doves ( there are over 50 but it doesn’t record the extra ones)
achievements
9 wall paper
12 concept art
4 music tracks
SG
Bonus play

to be continued

gingergal
Manatee
Manatee
3,873 Posts

[Post New]by gingergal on Oct 17, 12 1:11 PM
continued

BONUS PLAY

The main story I felt was tied up in main game and would have been happy if I was a SE player, but I would have guessed where it was going. The plot was a bonus (over and above) and followed on from the end and two main characters were in it. I enjoyed the plot especially at the very end where you are giving a choice as to what to do, so you choose the ending of the plot!

Bar one scene it was all in old area. Good amount of quality cutscenes, and the quality was the same as the game.

numbers in addition to above -

5 puzzle (3d jigsaw, rotating rings, one unique, couple of others)
4 HOS

It was just on the hour for me, which is the bare minimum. I did not skip any puzzles in the bonus but if you do it will be very short as most of those puzzles took me a while.

TIME – Main game just over 4hrs (but I did skip one puzzle which was a two part and that would have taken me a while)
bonus - plus another 1hr

[Post New]by SatNiteFishFry on Feb 24, 13 2:20 PM
Yes the game is lovely and you get a lot of play, HOWEVER I have played the game to a certain point several times, and most recently was shut out having completed the first game in the attic of the hotel without the game completing (picture does not open even when all the rings line up perfectly); and I have played well into the game without having the proper inventory to get the sword guard in the museum game nor the elephant to trigger the belfry game (ark and villain stage.)

Going back through the strategy guide page by page doesn't lead to finding the missing inventory items.

This represents a big investment of time with no payoff, and having the hint highlight the part I need without the part in inventory is extremely frustrating.

I am playing on a MacBook Pro, and wonder if this is an issue.

Go to: