vthecat
Seahorse
Seahorse
24 Posts

Re:Reviews for Dark Parables: Rise of the Snow Queen Collector's Edition

[Post New]by vthecat on Dec 27, 11 9:43 PM
This game is exquisite. One of the prettiest games I've ever played. The game play is great. The Dark Parables series has become my favorite. I really do think the MCF developers should pay attention -- you don't have to have a sick theme to have a great game.

[Post New]by poobearz on Dec 28, 11 1:04 PM
Having played the rest of the series (and loving them) this was a sure buy for us. We were not disappointed. Beautiful graphics, interesting storyline that flows well and we also enjoyed the bonus game.

If I had to list a complaint it would be that the game was a little too easy. Even the kids breezed right through it, we would have preferred a bit more of a challenge.

We are all looking forward to the next in the series.

Akela16
Guppy
Guppy
193 Posts

[Post New]by Akela16 on Dec 28, 11 6:57 PM
I'm on an iMac OS X 10.6.8 and didn't have any issues with the game.

I've just finished playing the game, and the bonus game. I found the game challenging ... I had to rely on the map and the strategy guide for clues about what to do next and where to go. I especially like the extras at the end ... you can replay some of the excellent puzzles from the game.

I'm happy with the CE ... it is well worth purchasing.

qpr1
Clownfish
Clownfish
733 Posts

[Post New]by qpr1 on Dec 29, 11 4:39 PM
excellent third installment in the dark parables series and the bonus game was just as good (only much much shorter)

exact
Parrotfish
Parrotfish
434 Posts

[Post New]by exact on Dec 31, 11 10:05 AM
This has to go down as one of the best all time games from BFG. Not easy for this Great Grannie but enjoying every bit of it!! Incredible scenes. A genius at producing fabulous graphics. Thank you for a week of wonder.

books4me13
Starfish
Starfish
54 Posts

[Post New]by books4me13 on Dec 31, 11 8:29 PM
LOVE IT LOVE IT LOVE IT!!! Dark Parables are now my favorite game series (so much better than the latest Dream Chronicles). Please keep making more and do what you have done!

I love how you guys take fairy tales, keep them close to the originals, but make it your own. And I think it is amazing how you keep all the games related (i.e. Briar Rose=Princess Ivy=Frog Prince=Snow White=Snow Queen). The Collector's Editions are SO worth it and doesn't leave anything out of the main story (so those who didn't get the CE don't feel that the game didn't get finished).

I cannot wait for the next Dark Parables, and will buy the Collector's edition without hesitation!

books4me13
Starfish
Starfish
54 Posts

[Post New]by books4me13 on Dec 31, 11 8:30 PM
LOVE IT LOVE IT LOVE IT!!! Dark Parables are now my favorite game series (so much better than the latest Dream Chronicles). Please keep making more and do what you have done!

I love how you guys take fairy tales, keep them close to the originals, but make it your own. And I think it is amazing how you keep all the games related (i.e. Briar Rose=Princess Ivy=Frog Prince=Snow White=Snow Queen). The Collector's Editions are SO worth it and doesn't leave anything out of the main story (so those who didn't get the CE don't feel that the game didn't get finished).

I cannot wait for the next Dark Parables, and will buy the Collector's edition without hesitation!

[Post New]by DashGamesAddict on Jan 1, 12 3:42 AM
Loved it...but it was all over too soon. I also loved the bonus game. Can't wait for the next installment. I hope we won't have too long a wait.

sea_maid
Guppy
Guppy
115 Posts

[Post New]by sea_maid on Jan 1, 12 4:32 PM
Took me awhile to finally come and post the review, but here it is.

POSSIBLE SPOILERS.

First, I do have to say that I really loved the game overall. Wonderful graphics (however it does seem to me that in the widescreen version it loses just a tiny bit of the sharpness, perhaps because it wasn't originally designed for it), a new soundtrack(finally, after the carryovers in both the Exiled Prince and Curse of the Nightingale), and the Hidden Object scenes were good.

That said...

There were some things that didn't seem very logical to me. The storyline is one of them. If you have ever read the H.C. Andersen story, there doesn't seem to be much of a background on the famed Snow Queen. Now, I'm all for giving it a new retelling of the story, adding elements that weren't not in the novella ( the only story from the tale that translated to the game was of the old witch), or eliminating others in favor of a more tight story ( the robber girl, the lapp woman and the finn woman were discarded). But the moment you link the Snow Queen with being Snow White, the story falls apart. First, there is the element of the author. Snow White was written (or more accurately, it was collected, as the authors didn't create the tale, but simply wrote it down from oral traditions) by the Grimm Brothers. None of the other fairy tale authors (Perrault, Andersen) wrote a variation of the story. So how exactly can you claim that a character of a story written by one author is the same person as another character from another story written by a different author? It doesn't make sense. Then there's the mirror. Although it does figure in the original story similarly (the mirror broken, and pieces falling in the world and into the people), it doesn't have the subplot of being powerful if put back together. You would have thought that Snow White, of all people, would be smart enough not to trust a mirror after what happened (i.e. the magic mirror and the Evil Queen). In short, the story would be fine, if only they didn't put that the Snow Queen was Snow White. That stretches the suspension of disbelief a bit too much.

That aside, I do have to agree that the puzzles were, for the most part, very similar. A bit of variation would have been better. I liked the extras (wallpapers, music, art, bonus gameplay ) but I would have loved to have the screensaver (don't know about Exiled Prince, but Briar Rose did have a screensaver). And for the life of me, I can't figure out why they didn't make the Strategy guide available on the main menu (i.e. so you can browse it after you played the game, and read again the stories). Briar Rose did have it, don't remember whether Exiled Prince did, but it would have been nice to include it.

[Post New]by 1014Mousling on Jan 2, 12 6:15 PM
Another stunning win from Blue Tea Games. I can just agree with what a lot of other reviewers have said, this game is absolutely gorgeous! Stunning graphics, absolutely beautiful FROG objects, honestly Dark Parables are fast becoming my favorite HOG games!

I also bought the CE version when it was on sale, so that just was a double bonus for me

MaryLiLamb
Guppy
Guppy
164 Posts

[Post New]by MaryLiLamb on Jan 3, 12 4:47 PM
Re: morphing objects while playing Hard mode.

I have not played the CE but I just completed the SE while on Hard mode and there were definitely morphing objects. I do not know if this was changed for the SE or if people were mistaken earlier in this thread. They were quite subtle and the first one was several scenes into the game.

bessiegirl
Clownfish
Clownfish
738 Posts

[Post New]by bessiegirl on Jan 9, 12 7:54 AM
I love this series and I think this has been one of the best. Thoroughly enjoyed it! What a treat. Bought the CE during a special and found it to be terrific. The bonus game was great too. Mini games were repetative, but the SKIP powers up really fast so I was able to skip those I didn't want to deal with (you loose 5 minutes on your Hint though). Hard to describe all the neat things about this CE, you will have to purchase it yourself. Loved it! Thanks BF.

Edited on 01/09/2012 at 7:55:45 AM PST

legalhelper
Barracuda
Barracuda
3,257 Posts

[Post New]by legalhelper on Jan 9, 12 12:24 PM
What a delightful game! I, too, bought this game on sale and am glad I did. I have played all the games in this series and love them all. I am now playing the bonus game with Hansel & Gretel and can't wait to finish it as well. Bravo!

burf90
Flounder
Flounder
2,276 Posts

[Post New]by burf90 on Jan 9, 12 6:40 PM
MaryLiLamb wrote:Re: morphing objects while playing Hard mode.

I have not played the CE but I just completed the SE while on Hard mode and there were definitely morphing objects. I do not know if this was changed for the SE or if people were mistaken earlier in this thread. They were quite subtle and the first one was several scenes into the game.

Originally, the morphing objects were only available in the easier mode. They came out with a new version that fixed some bugs and made the morphing objects available on all difficulties. So, when you see that people complain about them not being available, they really weren't. I didn't have them in my game because I always pick the hardest level and finished the game before the new version was released.

MaryLiLamb
Guppy
Guppy
164 Posts

[Post New]by MaryLiLamb on Jan 9, 12 10:36 PM
burf90 wrote:
MaryLiLamb wrote:Re: morphing objects while playing Hard mode.

Originally, the morphing objects were only available in the easier mode. They came out with a new version that fixed some bugs and made the morphing objects available on all difficulties. So, when you see that people complain about them not being available, they really weren't. I didn't have them in my game because I always pick the hardest level and finished the game before the new version was released.

Ahh, good to know. If I ever want to upgrade, that is a definite plus. Thanks for the clarification.

banor
Squid
Squid
73 Posts

[Post New]by banor on Jan 11, 12 12:23 PM
I do think this was such a superb game. I was sorry when it ended. Beautiful graphics, puzzles were good, good strategy guide. I also enjoyed the "map" made my life and my walking so much easier. Thanks for a great game.

Jadakiss2000
Minnow
Minnow
209 Posts

[Post New]by Jadakiss2000 on Jan 22, 12 6:53 PM
I ditto everything everyone has said here that positive. Thoroughly enjoyed it. Beautiful graphics. Thank goodness for the map as it gave me hints on areas I needed to go for activity. And the bonus was very nice as well. I also enjoyed reading the parables. This game is so fitting for the season...but I'm a sucker for any game with snow.

[Post New]by Nebride on Jan 24, 12 7:33 PM
I really love the Dark Parables series. The scenes are so rich and the hidden object and puzzles are just challenging enough. The story lines are good too. Can't wait for the next installment.

blujeens
Guppy
Guppy
101 Posts

[Post New]by blujeens on Feb 11, 12 7:17 PM
OK, here's my review of Dark Parables: Rise of the Snow Queen CE:

Options: Music, Ambiance, Sound, Full Screen System Curson & Widescreen. Game modes were Casual, Normal, & Hard. I played on Normal cuz Hard wouldn't allow skipping minigames.

Graphics: No disappointment here - graphics were beautiful & cutscenes were done well and easy to watch.

Voices/Sounds/Music: Voice-overs were good, sounds were not as prevalent as some other games, and music was unintrusive, but not memorable, either.

Minis/HOGs: These were FROGS, which are not necessarily my favorite, but a good change of pace. Items were easy to med-hard to locate, and all items, once put together, were jeweled & stunningly gorgeous. Minis were not difficult, but I found them to be extremely repetitive in that they were the same game types over & over.

Game Overall: I love Blue Tea games, and I enjoyed the morphing objects as an added bonus, but I was a little disappointed in a couple things. For one, was it just me, did I forget to do something, or did we leave that poor frog out in the cold?? I don't remember reading anything about it from other fishes, but I felt like the game should have given some conclusion to the Frog Prince. The Bonus Game was a nice diversion from the rest of the story, although it was said that it would explain a couple things from the main story. It just left me with more questions... Puzzles, Wallpapers, Movie Gallery, Music & Concept Art were available ONLY after playing the main AND Bonus Game which I thought was a bit of a shame for those players who like to use the wallpaper or concept art during the playing of the game. Also, music was downloadable. All in all, I think I would have been just as happy with the SE, altho the bonus took me about 45 minutes to finish. The story line was a little different from the book that I remember reading, but it was enjoyable just the same. I felt like I was actually helping the characters, altho I'm not sure that "dectective" was the right word.

Recommendation: This game was not my favorite from Blue Tea, but it was quite good and should be a nice story for anyone interested in fairy tales, young or old.

Out of 5 stars, I give this one

laurakay76
Guppy
Guppy
195 Posts

[Post New]by laurakay76 on Mar 17, 12 11:48 AM
Valdy wrote:From the little extra that was shown after the main game was finished, I couldn't figure out what the next game will be about. I did recognise the Snow Queen story from the last game's intro to the new one, but haven't got a clue what the next story might be about.

Red Riding Hood.

Go to: