bekair
Herring
Herring
358 Posts

Re:Reviews for Mystery Case Files®: Escape from Ravenhearst™

[Post New]by bekair on Jan 23, 12 9:22 PM
Well I for one thought this a let down. I followed the "guess'es for almost the whole time during pre-release and was looking forward to see how close we came.

I WAS DISAPPOINTED!

I assumed we might see more in the CAGE scene - LET DOWN!

More in the O.R. - such as how the body's were cut up - LETDOWN!

Morphing - no probs. but a little tame.

Very little about the "Steampunk" stuff - only a mask or two at the end LETDOWN!

Nothing about the drawings and the tools that Chucky used in the "pre-released" via clues - LETDOWN!

Nothing about the people of Blackpool, only hanging bodies - LETDOWN!

The graphics - actors - etc. was A-ONE - but my view is that the game SUCKS - BIG LETDOWN!

I think I'm not a bad gamer, but it is hard to follow in some parts w/o at least a partial guide. (beside the point is that I HATE the domino,dice puzzels), but a "clue" as to what the object of that game is would be helpfull.

Dire Grove is my fav. 13 skulls was good - this one sucks.

BUT - hey that's only M.H.O. I am sorry I wasted a punch on this.

bbt

ps - know I should tell you how I REALLY feel

[Post New]by sweet_stormysub on Feb 9, 12 11:15 AM
My first CE and pffft. For those who haven't bought the CE...the strategy guide ends when you have a couple of pages to go. If you think you're going to get help all the way through, think again. I miss the hidden objects. Morphing ones are okay, but not the same at all. I'd give it a 6 out of 10 because I'm feeling generous today

[Post New]by trealm on Feb 10, 12 6:17 PM
Okay! this game just ruined me! Now, other games will just be boring.... I am sooooo glad I bought this game though! Wow! I did have to check the walkthrough a time or two.. or three... haha

I purchased the standard edition and set it on master. The madman was pretty cool..

There are some gross parts to this game.. the bar is set high for game development.

Long game and great graphics... a lot of bang for the buck

dspsunrise
Seahorse
Seahorse
26 Posts

[Post New]by dspsunrise on Feb 10, 12 6:50 PM
I usually don't write reviews but I thought I would for this one. First, let me say, I LOVED the first two and couldn't get enough of them!!! SOOO.... I was excited when this one came out but I was never able to get into this game. It isn't that it's too dark, I play a lot of dark games but it has an ICK factor that's hard to describe. I don't like the morphing items at all, the lack of hints throughout the game and the need to retrace your steps in several places for no apparent reason other to just do it is annoying. Overall, I couldn't wait to be done with the game not because I was enjoying it but because I wasn't enjoying it. At the same time, I don't like to quit thing I start and wanted to see how it ended so I finished it. On the positive side, they had the great graphics that they always have. Overall though, certainly not one I would recommend!

cagspeake
Seahorse
Seahorse
21 Posts

[Post New]by cagspeake on Feb 22, 12 8:26 PM
I own all the other MCF games and was really disappointed in this one. I, too, could hardly wait until it finished because I didn't enjoy the game play at all.

Didn't mind the MOS, which were a change from normal HO scenes. Subject matter was much too grim.

I bought it with a coupon code for $2.99 and wish I hadn't even spent that on it.

Total disappointment. Can't believe it made game of the year.

crowtrobot
Herring
Herring
318 Posts

[Post New]by crowtrobot on Feb 29, 12 2:01 PM
Since purchasing this game, I have purchased about fifteen more. I have played all of those but have still not finished this game (purchased 1-15-12). I also have re-played at least fifteen games I already owned since purchasing this game. I believe I am half-way through the game but don't remember. I don't even remember the last time I played.

I don't have trouble with the MOS. I actually enjoy them. I don't have trouble with the 'disturbing' content I've seen so far; it's tame compared to a lot of movies I've seen. I'm just tired of having to consult the walkthrough constantly. You find something and have no idea what to do with it. Some things, like using the toe tags in the morgue, are used in such a complex manner that I can't imagine anyone figuring it out without the walkthrough. "Return to Ravenhurst" wasn't an easy game, but it was a cakewalk compared to this one.

I simply have no desire to go back to the game and finish it. It doesn't draw me in. I wasn't drawn a lot by the demo but the reviews I read just criticized the MOS and I didn't have a problem with that. I'm just glad I didn't get the CE. I demo'd the CE and didn't like a SG with pictures but no text. The offer of a MCF badge was a nice touch to induce us MCF fans to buy the game the day it came out, but I didn't want to make a snap decision. I wish I hadn't made a decision at all. I got "13th Skull" and wasn't sure I would like it but I liked it so well I upgraded from SE to CE. And that was after buying Escape from Ravenhurst, which sits here on the computer unfinished. I will try to get the stamina to finish it, then will uninstall. Can't imagine wanting to play it again since I can hardly get myself to play it now.

Haunted Halls: Fears from Childhood was a much better sequel game. So was Haunted Manor: Queen of Death. Escape from Ravenhurst strikes me as just cashing in on the immense popularity of Return to Ravenhurst, which is often used as a sort of gold standard of HOGs. We wanted a sequel to a terrific game, but unfortunately the sequel wasn't even close to approaching terrific.

ETA: Was just attempting to play again. After the most disgusting thing I have ever done in a game (popping pimples) I went on and found a keyless lock. Clicking on it got me a useless message, no hint of how to open it. I read through the walkthrough and then thought, that's it, I'm done with this game. I am horribly sorry I spent money on it.

Edited on 02/29/2012 at 6:24:22 PM PST

marloflip
Squid
Squid
67 Posts

[Post New]by marloflip on Mar 10, 12 9:54 PM
Just finished..wonderful game, I loved every minute of it!! Going back now to play all my other MCF games, I forgot just how great they are!

seahorsequeen
Guppy
Guppy
143 Posts

[Post New]by seahorsequeen on Mar 18, 12 10:26 AM
At last, it's playing on my computer !! I love it,but then I'm a sucker for dark and macabre and I can't get enough of morphs.Looks like it will keep me busy for a while.I'd been so disappointed as I do like to have all the games in a series,and the other ones are great.

[Post New]by Rubanne on Mar 25, 12 6:46 PM
I have been a die-hard fan of MCF since Huntsville, up until Escape From Ravenhearst, I have loved every single game, with 13th Skull being my all time favorite. The Ravenhearst saga has always intrigued me, it's always been very fun to play, scary, and even creepy at times, but this game just took the whole Charles Dalimar situation WAY too far. I did NOT enjoy a bit of this game, the morphing objects were too simple and got boring VERY quickly. The puzzles, while they should be hard, were beyond difficult, I had to come back to the WT so many times I just wanted to stop playing all together because I wasn't getting any satisfaction of actually completing the puzzles on my own. It was hard to figure out what you had to do after certain parts, and I found myself consulting the WT for about 80% of the game. I honestly did not believe that the MCF series could be THAT disappointing, I was very wrong. I do hope the makers of this edition decide to use the hidden objects in the next game, I really missed them. The morphing objects are fun when they are a side quest, they add a little pizzazz to the overall feel of the game. I sincerely do not have anymore words to describe how disappointed I feel in this game, this was the first time I got bored of playing MCF. I actually went back to MCF 13th Skull and played it twice after this game, because it was actually worth the time and effort. So all in all, I would give this game 2 stars on a scale of 5, the graphics were amazing, but the game play was shaky, and very vague at times.

Fargosis
Seahorse
Seahorse
36 Posts

[Post New]by Fargosis on Mar 28, 12 6:55 PM
i am a HUGE creepypasta fan (PONYS!)
so first some mentionable quotes/characters:
Slenderman
The rake
"Life's a party,"
"I was just thinking...........about the happy times,"
"I will never let weeds take control of my garden ever again"
"You have beutiafull eyes"
"We'll protect you.......you'll never end up like her,"
Ash's coulma
the skintaker
"the universe is like........an egg"
"But when i reached for the game, i couldn't because my arms were gone,"
also show don't tell game

Seji
Guppy
Guppy
120 Posts

[Post New]by Seji on Apr 10, 12 12:52 PM
I found this game to be extremely disturbing and disgusting.

Whoever wrote this game has a psychological problem and is probably a serial killer.

There are scenes of torture, child abuse, abuse of pregnant women and I deleted the game after leaving the hospital and starting the next segment. I almost literally vomited, it's that offensive. If that intrigues you, I question your mental status.

If you are considering buying this game - don't.

I am a retired Police Officer and question the judgement of Big Fish Games at even having this game on their site. I have no idea how anyone in their right mind could play this entire game.

Annie522
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
19 Posts

[Post New]by Annie522 on Apr 10, 12 9:08 PM
Seji wrote:I found this game to be extremely disturbing and disgusting.

Whoever wrote this game has a psychological problem and is probably a serial killer.

There are scenes of torture, child abuse, abuse of pregnant women and I deleted the game after leaving the hospital and starting the next segment. I almost literally vomited, it's that offensive. If that intrigues you, I question your mental status.

If you are considering buying this game - don't.

I am a retired Police Officer and question the judgement of Big Fish Games at even having this game on their site. I have no idea how anyone in their right mind could play this entire game.

Could not agree more. I quit after Charles' "house" segment. The child abuse was just thoroughly disgusting. Shame on you, Big Fish, for putting this game on your site. Having played the other "MCF Ravenhearst I couldn't wait to play this. But I so wish I hadn't wasted a credit even on the Standard version. Highly disappointing, hated the MOGs (one or two are okay, but not when that's ALL there are). The storyline was very disturbing and atrocious, and I spent most of my time having to use the walkthrough - which I don't like to do as a rule - for so much of the game was too difficult to figure out on my own. No hints as to what to do with certain objects or how to play many of the mini games & puzzles (no instructions for them in the game, either). All-in-all, VERY DISAPPOINTING, disturbing and not worth buying. What a shame. My favorite is still Dire Grove.

[Post New]by Sugarpeach on Apr 15, 12 1:27 PM
I'm glad to see I'm not the only one having trouble, getting bored, not playing for months, and most of all, never finishing! This was such a disappointment ! I don't know if I will ever finish it. I have every MCF game out and never disliked any of them. I have been know to stay up all night playing one, not wanting to stop, trying to win. This game takes things a bit too far. It is disgusting. I was so excited when I saw another installment of Ravenhurst. Wish I had read the review. I probably wouldn't have believed it could be so offensive, vulgar, and disgusting.but take my word, it is. Waste of time and money!

[Post New]by LindyLouBrad on May 8, 12 12:28 PM

I have waited so long to play this game being an absolute supporter of the Ravenhurst series. I have had to upgrade my computer/graphics card to get there. So yes I have just played the whole game. Yes its macabre, yes its dark, but OMG it is so for the future, the game play is immense, the games are difficult with not a lot of help and I needed help. If I hadn't had access to the walk through I don't think my brain would have worked it all out. The developers have produced an absolutely difficult, totally mesmerising game with brilliant game-play ideas. And for those that don't like it, remember the times that you complain that games are too easy, boring, same-old, same-old, because this game is none of those things. It absolutely challenges your imagination and abilities. Five stars from me. Try it properly before you condem.

HiLupe
Minnow
Minnow
203 Posts

[Post New]by HiLupe on May 8, 12 6:50 PM
Oh, I love these Mystery Case Files games! I think this one was the most difficult and I've played them all. I find the graphics to be outstanding and I love the creepy atmosphere. The music and sound effects are just right. I can hardly wait for the next one to come out!

[Post New]by rereandtc on May 20, 12 6:35 AM
No hints/ no instructions. No enjoyment. Loved all the other MCF

[Post New]by Tennie_Frog on May 24, 12 12:41 PM
Didn't really get a chance to play this game. The cursor just wouldn't move, and when it did, it jumped. I uninstalled and reinstalled, and it still didn't work properly so it's a no-buy for me.

[Post New]by MCFfan_2464 on Jun 19, 12 9:19 PM
WARNING: CONTAINS SPOILER ALERTS

I have to say, despite what everyone else thinks, I LOVED this game!! It was the most intense MCF to date!! There were some things I didn't like, though. The big one, of course, was no HOGs. The MOs was a nice thought, as that is another thing MCF is known for, but it really is more fun to use as a bonus, like in Dire Grove CE. The story was EXCELLENT!!! I really love the Ravenhearst series and I thought for sure RTR was the end! But I really am glad you clever minds could make a new storyline completely relating around Charles!! I especially loved the seemingly perfect ending with Charles and Victor dying, the souls of the girls being turned back to life, and those mysterious drawings in the bonuses. It makes me wonder: was their only purpose just for the HOGs, or are they a clue for a future MCF? All in all, it was a great game and I highly recommend this to you Master Detectives out there!! I certainly can't wait for MCF 9!!

Lilly214
Minnow
Minnow
221 Posts

[Post New]by Lilly214 on Jun 23, 12 4:39 PM
Finding this game very annoying to say the least. Without having the use of a hint button to rely on, reverting back and forth to forums or walkthrough gets very tiresome. I find myself taking "notes" on various parts before proceeding back to the game. I want to finish the game, but probably won't replay it. Hopefully the game developer will think twice about including the hint button in future games.

[Post New]by Glossary on Jul 5, 12 9:15 AM
Great game, engaging. Beautiful graphics. I enjoyed the puzzles. Some of the hidden objects were hard for me to see, but that was part of the fun. I recommend this game.

Go to: