tropdechats
Guppy
Guppy
105 Posts

Re:Reviews for Curse at Twilight: Thief of Souls Collector's Edition

[Post New]by tropdechats on Jan 13, 12 3:35 PM
Just finished playing the CE version of the game and for the first time in a long time I am VERY happy that I purchased a CE version. I needed 8-9 hours to play the full game (I am a very thorough player who refuses to use a walk-through unless I absolutely have to). The map feature facilitates moving around the playing field, and having to earn a map room by collecting coins makes it that much more enjoyable. The game does occasionally require you to move through areas you have already covered but nothing like those games that seem to have you go all over just to take up playing time (known as the Goofy Duck Syndrome because you wear out so many pairs of tennis shoes). The Hidden Obj scenes are easy; the mini-games vary in quality. There is a lot to keep you thinking. I look forward to the sequel -- I only hope the devs take the time to make it as good as this game was. This game is not the equal of RTR (what is?) but it is challenging and enjoyable.

[Post New]by judyglenning on Jan 15, 12 8:40 AM
I was going to wait for this game to come out as SE but after waiting unsuccessfully for half a month for a game I wanted to use one of my 5 PCCs from last month on, I decided to get this one. Needed something new, was going through withdrawal
I'm so glad I did. An amazing game, kept me up all night. It's a wonderful game, and I'm amazed that the programmer managed to get 6 hours of play into 125 MB.
Beautiful graphics, great strategy guide, and voice overs that didn't make my teeth itch. And the map was unbelievable. Don't use maps a lot because they're frequently confusing. But instead of having to figure out where the map drawer could possibly be sitting when they made it, this map has pictures of each room, instead of a box with a room name I can never remember.
My only problem with it is knowing I'll have to wait months for the sequel.
Thanks Big Fish for a great night.

Bink_In_AK
Minnow
Minnow
237 Posts

[Post New]by Bink_In_AK on Jan 15, 12 12:59 PM
Bought for the same reasons that are described in the above reviews.

Liasmani
Whale Shark
Whale Shark
19,504 Posts

[Post New]by Liasmani on Jan 29, 12 7:46 AM
Fun Factor: 4.5 stars
Visual/Sound Quality:5 stars
Level of Challenge: 4.5 stars
Average Rating: 5 stars

Pros:
- Great visuals & voice-overs
- Variety of puzzles
- Plenty of coins to collect
- A map that allows you to fast travel to that location without going through several screens to get there.

Cons:
None

Disclaimer: This review is based on the game's demo.

mar39
Guppy
Guppy
164 Posts

[Post New]by mar39 on Jan 30, 12 5:22 PM
I just started playing and seem to be stuck. Is there no walk-through?

Jerry99
Lobster
Lobster
98 Posts

[Post New]by Jerry99 on Feb 3, 12 8:23 AM
I think this was an excellent game, Very good graphics, good mini games and interesting story and characters. I would not have been able to do it without the Strategy Guide when I had to move back and forth between scenes. I really did like the Map as a way to move between scenes. Great game.

mar39
Guppy
Guppy
164 Posts

[Post New]by mar39 on Feb 3, 12 7:53 PM
Duh.....Strategy Guide right there. I'm an idiot.

Anyway, brilliant game! haven't played the bonus material yet, but the game itself took many hours and was so many different things. I loved it! I really got creeped out in the butcher's house (sheesh) and it's hard to creep me out! And I was totally enchanted by the garden, especially the tiger lily growling at me. How cute! Very much worth the price of a CE!

Uh, just realized the bonus content is played within the CE , but it was still very worth it....lots and lots and lots of fun, different puzzles for a change, quite enjoyable.

Edited on 02/03/2012 at 9:49:57 PM PST

feenix2011
Herring
Herring
369 Posts

[Post New]by feenix2011 on Feb 4, 12 9:43 AM
I really liked what I have seen so far -I have only played the demo, but there is alot of neat features in this game. Finding pieces of objects in scenes to put together, finding the coins to get pictures for the map, etc. I have to wait until tomorrow when I will have 2 game credits so I can buy this game. Unfortunaely, I lost my job this week so I have alot more time to play but no money to buy!!

feenix

feenix2011
Herring
Herring
369 Posts

[Post New]by feenix2011 on Feb 5, 12 3:29 PM
Well, I went and bought another game credit so I could buy the CE edition of this game. I had been impressed with the demo. But I must say I do not like this game!!The longer I have played, I don't even know what the story is, it is such a mish mosh of scenes and characters. And without the stratedgy guide, I would have no idea where to go next. There doesn't seem to be a logical continuation from one scene to the next. And the mini-games!! Some seemed to be geared toward 4 year olds and the other to Harvard grads!! I'm still not finished, but had to take a break and may not return to this game for awhile. Did anyone notice that Great-grandmother was married to a Dwarf?! Not that it matters I just thought it was odd. You players that have enjoyed the game, I'm glad. I, however, am disappointed.

feenix

feenix2011
Herring
Herring
369 Posts

[Post New]by feenix2011 on Feb 12, 12 9:18 PM
O.K. finally finished this game! I must admit, there were alot of original and ingenious parts to this game. You never know what is coming. The mini-games are different and like I have mentioned before, either very easy or very difficult (for me anyway). I guess my biggest complaint is the story line, which seems all over the place and going back and forth between scenes (even with the map (thank God!!)), I honestly would have never gotten through this game without the map and hint button. I don't think in all the games I have played, did I have to go back and forth like in this game. I'm exhausted!! It was quite innovative and a big challenge for me and I suppose all in all, I am not sorry I spent money on this game!

feenix

care___916
Clownfish
Clownfish
944 Posts

[Post New]by care___916 on Feb 17, 12 7:08 AM
I just purchased this game lol. I didn’t demo it when it first came out (thought it was a FROG/FRAG game.

WOW what a great game this is. The artwork and the game is soooo good that I actually purchased a Frog ... cant believe it...

I agree with the many positive reviews. I had a little problem with the little teeny skeleton hand cursor but got use to the size.

Hope the devs get us a new game soon, will keep an eye out for this dev.

Keep up the terrific work.

Happy gaming

[Post New]by coral100866 on Feb 19, 12 10:12 AM
Im at a standstill in the door for the pier and in the back yard, I need to find the ax and shovel to be able to continue anyone got any ideas

ChocPeng
Minnow
Minnow
212 Posts

[Post New]by ChocPeng on Feb 19, 12 5:27 PM
coral100866 wrote:Im at a standstill in the door for the pier and in the back yard, I need to find the ax and shovel to be able to continue anyone got any ideas

This is the thread for reviews of the game, not game play assistance. Try another thread or check out walkthroughs.

If the moderator deletes your post, which is likely, then I don't mind at all if they delete my response to it, too.

blujeens
Squid
Squid
64 Posts

[Post New]by blujeens on May 22, 12 7:44 PM
Ok, here's my review of Curse at Twilight: Thief of Souls CE:

Options: Offered were Music, Sound, Brightness, Custom Cursor & Full Screen. Game modes were Casual or Hard. Extra content was the Bonus Game, that was actually integrated into the main game, Soundtracks (which are NOT downloadable), Concept Art, & Wallpapers.

Graphics: Color & artwork were very good, but not the best I've seen. The Brightness slider could be adjusted at any time during the game which helped considerably when it came time to find small items.

Voices/Sounds/Music: Voice-overs were limited, sound effects were good, and the music was spot-on and interesting. Unfortunately, even tho this is the CE, you cannot download the tunes afterwards - very disappointing!

Minis/HOGs: Quite a lot of positive can be said about all the different minigames offered in this one. Coins are hidden in every scene, FROGs, and some unique (at least for me) minis were bountiful. I found myself so wrapped up in the different types of minis that I actually forgot what the main theme of the game was! Oops!

Game Overall: I wouid have liked a stronger theme in ths game cuz I found the minigames to be so compelling and diverse that I forgot what my character's purpose was supposed to be. Altho I'm not happy about having the music available for download, I could almost forgive Amaranth - almost! Altho I didn't really have to use the SG, it was well presented for the extra nudge that the integrated Hints didn't cover. I really like it when you can hit Hints & have it tell you that you have nothing more to do in this scene without penalizing you. Finding items, either hidden or morphing, is a great plus for me. I also liked having the bonus game integrated into the main game (was it Drawn that did that too? Can't remember - I'm getting old!) I actually feel a little sorry for the fishies who only played the demo and decided to not go any further. There was also a lot of running around at times, but I found that I didn't really mind it too much in this game.

Recommendation: There were ghosts thruout, but nothing intentionally spooky about them so little fishies might not be put off by them. Good game overall that is one of the few that I would definitely play again.

Out of 5 stars, I give this one (Gimme my music & I'll give it another

patti_rp
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
16 Posts

[Post New]by patti_rp on Dec 7, 13 3:05 PM
Question: almost through the game. Then it tells me to go back to "waterfall cavern" but it isn't represented on the map. I have tried to retrace my every step but can't get back there! Only cavern picture on map is "hidden cavern". I hate paying 7.00 and not able to finish game! Otherwise have made it well using limited instructions! HELP!!

Go to: