cbtx
Stingray
Stingray
5,030 Posts

Re:Reviews for Otherworld: Spring of Shadows Collector's Edition

[Post New]by cbtx on Jan 23, 12 10:58 AM
kindergal wrote:Because of all the great reviews I will try the trial tonight.
Valdy, you make me feel better because you say you don't care if Otherworld is
kind of easy. You LIKE some of them easy...me, too!!
I depend on my fishie friends...I LOOK for you reviews:
Casualgran
Puzzledone
Miss lisa
Valdy
cherbtoo
cbtx
rebeccalily
textrekkie
shadowfax
and so many others.
Often someone refers to a review and I look through 13 pages and it is not there.
bfg flounder told me some delete their reviews. PLEASE DON'T!!
some of us may not get around to reading them for a while.
I am probably the most senior fishie of all, but love our games and appreciate all the wonderful help.
Love to all of you!
kindergal

kindergal, I never delete anything unless it's a quick edit.
I bet you'll really enjoy this one----I hope so.
Let us all know!

apples16951
Guppy
Guppy
185 Posts

[Post New]by apples16951 on Jan 23, 12 12:00 PM
This game is like a breath of fresh air!!! (I'm still reeling from my experience with Escape From Ravenhearst.) Being a gardener, I love all the beautiful garden scenes. The creatures are a little scary but mostly cute - so far. (I have just finished two chapters so maybe it gets scarier.)

It's a little childish. I guess they are marketing it towards a pre-teen audience. The puzzles are rather simple.

I like the map feature, and the voiceover has a charming British accent. The strategy guide is a little too explicit for me. I'd rather have hints. Again, geared towards a younger audience.

I was starting to think that every game offered was going to be ghoulish, morbid, horrifying....I haven't been interested in any of the new games because of that. Life is stressful enough without playing stressful games. Thanks for the break!

XtreemNorth
Guppy
Guppy
174 Posts

[Post New]by XtreemNorth on Jan 23, 12 12:13 PM
sjsullivan wrote:Elldee........The game is advertised as a HOG. Therefore it should be mostly HOG. Also... it is advertised as a CE and the price is that of a CE. Maybe you need to go back and read my post more carefully before replying. No need for hostility. We asll have opinions and the right to express them here. not everyone has to agree with you.

It pays to demo a game before purchasing.

I have boughten games just from reviews and regretted it. According to this demo, it was just enough for me to decide on whether to wait for a se, or no buy, havent made my mind up.

I like hidden object scenes, thats one thing I do like about this game is the hidden objects, they were just different.

XtreemNorth
Guppy
Guppy
174 Posts

[Post New]by XtreemNorth on Jan 23, 12 12:15 PM
ooops

Edited on 01/23/2012 at 12:24:10 PM PST

lilTweet7
Herring
Herring
333 Posts

[Post New]by lilTweet7 on Jan 23, 12 12:26 PM
This is a fantastic little game! Immerse yourself into a fairytale adventure, with interesting story, beautiful graphics, nice dialogue & music. Much to do as well in the game... from finding hidden objects (much like a scavenger hunt), & great little mini games. Really, just a cute game overall. I'm enjoying it much!

Don't let the number of chapters fool you (6), as there is much to do in each one (interactive things with objects). And though I like some straight HOG games, I really appreciate that in this game, it is not just straight HOG scene after HOG scene. Objects are still hidden, but you have to scavenge around for them, while on your adventure, which keeps the game more interesting.

My rating.... five stars, & many 's up, as well as

Edited on 01/23/2012 at 12:45:13 PM PST

Paristan
Seahorse
Seahorse
35 Posts

[Post New]by Paristan on Jan 23, 12 1:29 PM
Wow!! I have been struggling to find a game I want for about 3 months now as the 'dark' themes are so uninteresting.
Thankfully you have brought this game out just before I cancelled my membership.

The graphics are very inviting, the magical theme is escapist and relaxing in a positive way and I really don't mind English accents, being from Australia.

So I am buying this one.

FORTUNATUS
Clownfish
Clownfish
883 Posts

[Post New]by FORTUNATUS on Jan 23, 12 2:19 PM
apples16951 wrote:This game is like a breath of fresh air!!! (I'm still reeling from my experience with Escape From Ravenhearst.) Being a gardener, I love all the beautiful garden scenes. The creatures are a little scary but mostly cute - so far. (I have just finished two chapters so maybe it gets scarier.)

It's a little childish. I guess they are marketing it towards a pre-teen audience. The puzzles are rather simple.

I like the map feature, and the voiceover has a charming British accent. The strategy guide is a little too explicit for me. I'd rather have hints. Again, geared towards a younger audience.

I was starting to think that every game offered was going to be ghoulish, morbid, horrifying....I haven't been interested in any of the new games because of that. Life is stressful enough without playing stressful games. Thanks for the break!

I'm with you, I've enjoyed a few of the scarier games and appreciate them offered in moderation but I wish they would make more games with nice graphics AND nice storyline along with some sophistication... they are few and far between it seems. Let's hope more games like this (and even better) come along for those of us who seek to appreciate and experience beauty and fulfillment in the world, AND in games we play.

Edited on 01/23/2012 at 2:20:52 PM PST

goldens
Guppy
Guppy
100 Posts

[Post New]by goldens on Jan 23, 12 3:03 PM
I have only played this game for a little more than an hour, but had to stop to say it is one of the most beautiful and pleasant games I have ever played. As everyone has said, the artwork is incredible, but I also love the puzzles as well as the story. The map is very good as is the strategy guide. This game is so worth being a Collector's Edition. A big thanks to the developers.

barbee44
Clownfish
Clownfish
667 Posts

[Post New]by barbee44 on Jan 23, 12 3:19 PM
I'm glad I took Valdy's advice... this game is the BEST. No hidden object scenes (no junk piles) and while there is an evil spirit the game is not dark, dreary or scary. The scenes are bright, cheerful.

The game isn't so easy that it isn't fun. It's the type of easy that is fun... you have to think, but not pull out your hair. Perfect for me.

I seldom buy a CE and this may be an exception. If I can't get it now I will as a SE, depends on my budget.

I would love to see more games like this.

seahorsequeen
Guppy
Guppy
143 Posts

[Post New]by seahorsequeen on Jan 23, 12 3:46 PM
Boomzap !! what more do I need to say? Finances mean I'll have to wait for the SE but what the heck I'm a patient person and I'll enjoy it more for the waiting.

emmyjayne
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,375 Posts

[Post New]by emmyjayne on Jan 23, 12 3:50 PM
Another magnificent game from BoomZap! There are almost no words to describe how beautifully done this game is. The artwork - as usual - is stunning. This, by far, is my favorite game...magical, engaging, beautiful, and fun. No flashing/flaming/glowing and annoying journals, cursors, or hint buttons. And, finally(!), a story that doesn't involve a human torture/abuse or a dark & depressing theme.

TRULY AMAZING - absolutely worth the CE price (and then some)!

debdeb11
Guppy
Guppy
141 Posts

[Post New]by debdeb11 on Jan 23, 12 6:16 PM
My review based on completion of entire game + bonus:

What a sight for sore eyes! This game was eye candy from beginning to end. Outstanding, crisp clear graphics in lovely palette of colours. Wide screen support built in, to me it appeared as if the game were actually designed for wide screen.

Three modes of play: Casual, Advanced, & Expert. I played on Advanced, took me 6 hrs 12 minutes to complete main game, + approx 1 hour for bonus play, called "epilogue". The bonus play was more of a "prequel" which enhanced the storyline, but was not essential to a feeling of completion of the story. Just what bonus play should be IMO.

The game is very much a puzzle adventure, with hidden object scenes interspersed seamlessly. The H0 scenes are varied - most were find so many of such & such, there were a couple traditional H0 scenes, a couple FROG scenes (fragmented hidden objects), and some riddle hidden object scenes where the object is an answer to a question. I very much enjoy casual games, however my preference has always been to adventure so these types of H0s suited me very well. The only "junk piles" were scenes where junk piles actually made sense. Otherwise the H0 scenes were done in such a way as made sense - no random boots, bottles, wrenches, etc. in those scenes.

Puzzles were many & of wide variety. They are not difficult, although a couple made me think. However even though they were for the most part fairly easy, to me, the wide variety made this a very enjoyable romp.

Bonus material is accessed immediately, which include: wallpapers, soundtrack, concept art, and of course strategy guide. The strategy guide opens up to where you left off last.

Hint system: very reliable, and in non-H0 scenes points you to what you need to do next. I only had to consult the strategy guide a couple times due to the excellent hints.

There is a journal which keeps track of story progress/diary, plus it has a tab for current tasks, and another tab for character bios, which fleshes in once you meet the characters. This very much added to the storyline for me and I enjoyed reading it.

There is a map which is accessible in some, not all, chapters. It makes sense once you see how the map integrates with the storyline in those chapters. There is no real to-ing and fro-ing in this game, so will be a relief to those who don't like a lot of backtracking in adventure/puzzle games.

debdeb11
Guppy
Guppy
141 Posts

[Post New]by debdeb11 on Jan 23, 12 6:17 PM
Additionally there are four major collectibles to gather as the story progresses, and special collectibles to find throughout the game which are not essential to game completion but are part of the "achievements". There are approximately 25 achievement awards to earn. This is one of the very few games I will replay to attempt to get more (I enjoyed the game that much!)

Voiceovers are only during cutscenes. Nicely done. This would be my only niggle of a complaint - that I would have liked to see more voiceovers during the gameplay itself. Music was nice, and varied from scene to scene to match the ambiance of the particular area.

Custom cursor is small and not cumbersome to use. Felt a little awkward for first 10 minutes, then I easily adjusted to the flow of how the cursor adjusted to hot spots.

The storyline is very well-done. It is in the fantasy genre. I would say any "creepiness" factor would be similar to the Drawn games. The end of the game was set up very well for a sequel, and all I can say is I will be first in line to buy!

All in all, an excellent offering from this developer, and is being so well-received by gamers for good reason. They have listened to what their customers have wanted, and have most certainly delivered. Bravo! My experience in playing this game can be summed up in one word: Enchanting!

Edited on 01/23/2012 at 6:56:45 PM PST

gwladys99
Squid
Squid
65 Posts

[Post New]by gwladys99 on Jan 23, 12 9:54 PM
What a nice change to all the gloomy games that have been on lately. Graphics are beautiful and it is the sort of game you can relax and go at your own pace and I an a sucker for a good fairy tale.Reminds me of the brothers Grim stories I read as a child waaaaaaaay back.

I like the puzzles, not to hard which suits this old brain of mine. I always play the casual mode so that I can get tips if I get stuck.

I only played for one half hour and straight away bought it even though I still have games to finish. At least I will not have the chuck this one away like one of the other yucky one that I have bought recently.

Sorry I am not more specific about the game and I would like to thank the other fishes who write such excellent reviews. I always read them and base what I buy on what I read. the one time I did not do that I was sorry afterwards.
Thank you all of you

SolarEclipse
Minnow
Minnow
230 Posts

[Post New]by SolarEclipse on Jan 23, 12 9:55 PM
I have to be honest, I played the demo yesterday and then purchased it today. And after looking through the strategy guide in its entirety I had to request a refund!!! I uninstalled the game immediately. I was so disappointed. The rest of the game looks nothing like the demo. I wouldn't recommend this game to anybody. I thought this was going to be more like the "Awakening" series. Wrong again!!!

But happy gaming to everyone else.

cherzy13
Lobster
Lobster
83 Posts

[Post New]by cherzy13 on Jan 23, 12 10:30 PM
SORRY FISHIES, BUT I WAS BORED OUT OF MY MIND, AND I THINK THAT IS MORE IMPORTANT THAN HOW BEAUTIFUL OR WHIMISICAL OR CUTE THE GAME IS!!!

Valdy
Marlin
Marlin
9,383 Posts

[Post New]by Valdy on Jan 24, 12 12:25 AM
barbee44 wrote:I'm glad I took Valdy's advice... this game is the BEST. No hidden object scenes (no junk piles) and while there is an evil spirit the game is not dark, dreary or scary. The scenes are bright, cheerful.

The game isn't so easy that it isn't fun. It's the type of easy that is fun... you have to think, but not pull out your hair. Perfect for me.

I seldom buy a CE and this may be an exception. If I can't get it now I will as a SE, depends on my budget.

I would love to see more games like this.

This is exactly how I feel about this game, and the way I like games to be. I don't want them to be fun and entertaining and intriguing, but I don't want them to be so difficult that I keep getting stuck at each corner I turn, and have to resort to the SG. That's what I mean about being an easy game: that I have to think about where to go or what to do next, but not in a way that I keep walking about for hours and still not know where to go next.

Poutoule
Archerfish
Archerfish
41,630 Posts

[Post New]by Poutoule on Jan 24, 12 2:38 AM
Played half and hour, casual :

- 6 chapters + bonus play
- 3 modes to play, Casual, Advanced, Hardcore
- Integrated SG
- Map
- Voiceovers BUT not all the time
- H0, you have to find 10 similar items, jewels, spiders, etc
- Easy mini games
- Hint and skip button take a while to fill
- Good graphics

A sweet, easy game, I'm afraid it didn't impress me favourably, it kind of bored me. A no buy for me.

Valdy
Marlin
Marlin
9,383 Posts

[Post New]by Valdy on Jan 24, 12 8:20 AM
Well, I finished the game now. It took me a massice 6 hours and 45 minutes to play the main game, and... 1 1/2 hours to play the bonus game.

And I LOVED the bonus game. I played... SPOILER ALERT Fiona, and the epilogue was more of a prologue, showing the day where it all started... END OF SPOILER ALERT

I didn't get all the fairies - I think I missed about 13 out of the 60. But that is because in the beginning of the game, and quite far into it, I so concentrated on the game itself, that I kept forgetting to look for the little darlings. LOL

Never mind, can always replay the game and try finding them again another time.

ETA: And I found the Boomzap logo (an achievement). Yayyy !!

Edited on 01/24/2012 at 8:33:11 AM PST

[Post New]by kris_cross48 on Jan 24, 12 9:52 AM
I'll just add to everyone else:
If you haven't yet played this game,,play it. If you haven't yet bought the full game,,CE and all..do it.
This is one game that I felt horrible about seeing it end. If was beautifully mastered in every way. Instead of the weird blood and gore that we've almost gotton used to around here ( you know developers, we're not all19-20 yr old boys), this game had a heady plot, absolutely gorgous gorgous artwork, and really fine playablity.
This game has raised the pole for everyone else, I would think. Like the first Drawn did. With the exception that the Drawn's are much too short, and have a kind of angry tone to them somehow, Otherworlds does not. It is luxsoriously long, very thoughtful in how it opens and your hug onto the plot throughout.
I really haven't had this much fun in a game in a long time..and as I said, hated seeing it end.
Great job BoomZap! Carry on! Please don't shorten the next one...the length just made it impossible to stop playing...my weekend was shot but happily.
kris

Go to: