jtrigg
Lobster
Lobster
97 Posts

Re:Comments for Syberia - Part 1

[Post New]by jtrigg on Feb 28, 12 6:21 PM
No comment from the moderators? Too ashamed?

vingilot
Dolphin
Dolphin
6,175 Posts

[Post New]by vingilot on Feb 28, 12 6:39 PM
dogmama wrote:
govegril wrote:
LittleFish884 wrote:All the reviews for the game on the sale page should be removed as they are for the full game & not part one, so it is a bit misleading for those that have not purchased.

I noticed that too. Why are folks reviewing the full game there and therefore misleading customers- and why are they being approved by BFG when they are aware those reviews are misleading!

Looked at the "official" reviews and saw a name that I recognized. That person has had the game for a while, Perhaps, it's an old review that was used? Surely not...

Like how Amazon clumps the reviews of all the different versions of books/movies into one review thread, so you have to wade through the reviews to find the version you're interested in? Hate it.

I wonder if a review pointing out the fact that this isn't the full game would be approved? Hmmmm......

MsFreddie
Catfish
Catfish
1,519 Posts

[Post New]by MsFreddie on Feb 28, 12 6:48 PM
vingilot wrote:
dogmama wrote:
govegril wrote:
LittleFish884 wrote:All the reviews for the game on the sale page should be removed as they are for the full game & not part one, so it is a bit misleading for those that have not purchased.

I noticed that too. Why are folks reviewing the full game there and therefore misleading customers- and why are they being approved by BFG when they are aware those reviews are misleading!

Looked at the "official" reviews and saw a name that I recognized. That person has had the game for a while, Perhaps, it's an old review that was used? Surely not...

Like how Amazon clumps the reviews of all the different versions of books/movies into one review thread, so you have to wade through the reviews to find the version you're interested in? Hate it.

I wonder if a review pointing out the fact that this isn't the full game would be approved? Hmmmm......

I wrote such a review vingilot and I am still waiting for it to show up lol. (See my posting on the previous page)

vingilot
Dolphin
Dolphin
6,175 Posts

[Post New]by vingilot on Feb 28, 12 7:01 PM
MsFreddie wrote:
vingilot wrote:

I wrote such a review vingilot and I am still waiting for it to show up lol. (See my posting on the previous page)

I missed it while I was skimming. I'll be interested to know if it shows up. Supposedly, reviews of TGTs are supposed to be published the same day. We shall see, we shall see....

cll1950
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,099 Posts

[Post New]by cll1950 on Feb 28, 12 7:24 PM
gingergal
And how many people have had problems downloading the original
Syberia game?

I have an old clunky machine and had no trouble downloading it when it was a DD.

silverfiesta
Guppy
Guppy
155 Posts

[Post New]by silverfiesta on Feb 28, 12 8:53 PM
OK - so I'm completely confused - btw, not an unusual condition - Since Syberia originally was a two part game , is this Syberia 1/3 or 2/3 - that is, are they combining 1 and 2 and making it 3 parts, thus 2/3, which means 3 purchases? Or will the old 2 be three parts also and thus making it 6 purchases to acquire the entire game?

Millions are asking - so how much will it cost to have the whole game if you didn't purchase it forever ago, which I, thankfully, did?

elldee2728
Shark
Shark
14,378 Posts

[Post New]by elldee2728 on Feb 28, 12 9:13 PM
textrekkie wrote:Just something to keep in mind... older versions of a game are only gonna work for so long.

With each change of an operating system on a computer, there's a risk of an older version of a game no longer being compatible.

Just saying...

Hey Tex--There is a very good and trustworthy website that has 100s of re-mastered "golden oldies"--I haven't recently checked, but I'll just bet that Syberia is among them. I D/L'd a couple of 15-year-old, DOS-based games awhile back, and they run great on my 2-month-old TouchSmart Desktop (Win 7--64-bit).

A very astute Fishie's post a page or two back noted that the "Keepers--Lost Progeny" CE file size was 1338 Mb, larger than the original Syberia. Now that Syberia has been "sliced and diced," I just wonder if BFG might start doing that with "new" CEs and LFAs ("Nancy Drew......Part 1;" "MCF #9......Part 1")? (To accomodate teenaged iPhone users who don't mind squinting at a 2" x 2" LCD screen? Next on the horizon? "Pacman--Part 1"? "Space Invaders--Part 1"? "Pong--Part 1"? I'm being silly here, but who knows?).

Someone (a BFG "Suit"?) noted that Forum posters comprise about 5% of the BFG customer base--does that mean that the other 95% will blindly D/L a piecemeal release, and then wait, frustrated, for the next "installment"? While never having visited this forum/thread to read opinions?

I have never seen so many negative comments about a BFG release (not the game itself, but the marketing) or so many shiny padlocks on related threads. The "silence is deafening" regarding BFG participation in this particular thread-- , Where Art Thou?

(ETA--Hey Tex--Just visited my favorite "oldies" site--indeed, the "undissected" versions of Syberia 1 & 2 are there. I don't need them though, 'cuz I've still got the CDs from several years ago.)

Edited on 02/28/2012 at 10:08:43 PM PST

silverfiesta
Guppy
Guppy
155 Posts

[Post New]by silverfiesta on Feb 28, 12 9:28 PM
And since some are sending wish lists about purchases - can we find someone who knows how to do alphabetical order correctly?????
THE is NOT a first word in any title in anyone's lists

Meredene
Seahorse
Seahorse
28 Posts

[Post New]by Meredene on Feb 28, 12 9:40 PM
Both Syberia and Syberia II are excellent games, but few gamers would choose to play, and pay, for them on a piecemeal basis.

It may, indeed, be, that it's the company that currently owns the Syberia games that's responsible for this blatant chicanery. However, I'm disappointed that BFG has allowed itself to be in apparent support.

I, for one, expected better.

roxycavalier
Stingray
Stingray
5,621 Posts

[Post New]by roxycavalier on Feb 28, 12 9:43 PM
April Fool's Day is not for another month.This would have made a funny joke. I can not believe this!

roxycavalier
Stingray
Stingray
5,621 Posts

[Post New]by roxycavalier on Feb 28, 12 9:58 PM
I think for the people that were uninformed and actually purchased this today that they should be given game credits to get the entire game. Would that not be fair?

[Post New]by saltygirl72 on Feb 28, 12 10:26 PM
Just recently became a BF member and had Syberia on my list of games to purchase.

Now it has been scratched off. NO WAY am I paying over 20 dollars for a ten year old game. I could have bought this game a few weeks ago for 6.99.

When I first started out I just went to local retailers and bought discs, thinking about canceling my membership and going back to doing just that!

A new game everyday? I don't think so...my mama didn't raise no fool!

roxiestar74
Minnow
Minnow
290 Posts

Re:COMMENTS!!!!!!!!!! (better? lol)

[Post New]by roxiestar74 on Feb 29, 12 12:05 AM
bribling wrote: I don't buy all the CEs and am waiting for SEs of several games but I do not think they should be released as "New" because they are not. They should be released as the second game of the day they come out. We do often have two releases, one "soft". The Soft release appears on the Home page below the daily game. Some soft releases do not appear on the Home page at all. SEs belong on the Home page but I don't think they should be the only game that day.

Two CEs are released each week and often one SE. Many people cannot afford a CE or just do not want to pay that much for a casual game. When the daily game is a CE many people are deprived of a daily game. When the SE is released others are deprived of a daily game. Now we are getting reruns of reruns which also deprive players of a "New" game.

Thank you for your reply. I misunderstood and thought you were saying that SEs of CE games shouldn't be on the homepage at all. I have noticed soft releases before and would not be opposed to SEs being soft releases instead of TGT. As long as I can easily find SEs when they are released it doesn't matter to me where they are on the homepage.I also agree that this re-release of Syberia should have been a soft release instead of TGT. As you and many other people have pointed out, it is not a new game therefore it shouldn't be considered one.

I have never played Syberia before so the fact that you can now trial it for an hour and you couldn't before, finally allows me to try the game. I wanted to try it a while back and was disappointed that I couldn't. My computer is old and finicky so I won't buy a game unless I can try it first to make sure it work. I am off to try the game after I finish this post, but there is no way in H-e-double hockey sticks that I will be buying the game split up in bits and for 3 times more than what it originally cost on this site. Someone posted a link to the original Syberia BFG game page a few pages back in this thread. I checked out the link a little while ago and it seemed like you could still buy the game from that page in one piece for the time being. If I like the game, and it can still be bought in one piece for $6.99, I will purchase it that way, but if I can't still buy the whole game for $6.99 from BFG, then I will be looking elsewhere for it.

Edited on 02/29/2012 at 12:22:09 AM PST

mai66
Starfish
Starfish
57 Posts

[Post New]by mai66 on Feb 29, 12 12:11 AM
Please take notis of BF have made a thread saying, that this Syberia game is the exsact same game, as the previous one. Just cut in 3. So owners of the original game are not getting a new game.

http://forums.bigfishgames.com/posts/list/201539.page

So they are not trying to fool you to buy the same game one more time.....

I will try the one hour trial, but I will not purchase it here. If I like it, I will buy it in my lokal store. No money for BF this time.....

Have a nice day....

[Post New]by ChiantiThuis on Feb 29, 12 12:23 AM
There seem to be a lot of angry/upset fishies on this thread...

I can understand the points that you are all making (new games vs "old" games; games released in parts just seem like a ploy to get more money; people thinking it is a new game, etc). However, the first line of the game description specifically notes "If you own the original Syberia, this is the same adventure."

The solution is simple - just don't buy the game...

Poutoule
Archerfish
Archerfish
41,630 Posts

[Post New]by Poutoule on Feb 29, 12 1:11 AM
Just wanted to apologize to everybody, posted too fast yesterday, didn't realize the game had been cut into 3 parts. This is an absolute shame. I should have guessed something was going to happen when I noticed Syberia had disappeared from the All Games Forums. This was stupid of me, I still think the game is a grand game BUT it has to be in two whole games as it was previously issued. I'm amongst the lucky ones to have Syberia I and II, that's why I got carried away yesterday, sorry

MinnieK
Guppy
Guppy
165 Posts

[Post New]by MinnieK on Feb 29, 12 2:11 AM
nell50 wrote:I hope BFG are reading these comments because this chopping up of old games is likely to see a sharp increase in cancellation of membership if this is the way forward. I would have thought that regular monthly subscriptions plus buying power would be "set money" for BFG. There is still a large percentage of the population who don't want or need an IPad or Iphone and who prefer to play games full screen on PCs or laptops so money should still be pumped into this arena for new games. People like myself who are early retired, or retired, who still love playing PC games, who buy between 6 and 12 games a month, are your bread and butter, not those who download part games onto IPhone and Ipad and who will only play those games occasionally during the day/week. Speaking as someone who knows lots of younger ones with Ipad and Iphone, they are not daily/regular downloaders of games to play. Who therefore is likely to spend the most money? A rethink from BFG marketeers, methinks.

Exactly! You have saved me the trouble of typing out what I was about to say.

technocratee
Guppy
Guppy
118 Posts

Finally a Demo of Syberia

[Post New]by technocratee on Feb 29, 12 2:52 AM
roxiestar74 wrote:
bribling wrote:
I have never played Syberia before so the fact that you can now trial it for an hour and you couldn't before, finally allows me to try the game. I wanted to try it a while back and was disappointed that I couldn't. My computer is old and finicky so I won't buy a game unless I can try it first to make sure it work.
If I like the game, and it can still be bought in one piece for $6.99, I will purchase it that way, but if I can't still buy the whole game for $6.99 from BFG, then I will be looking elsewhere for it.

My feelings and situation exactly. I'm pleased to be able to finally demo Syberia, other fishies adventurers seem to be loving it.

[Post New]by dirogers on Feb 29, 12 3:18 AM
jtrigg wrote:No comment from the moderators? Too ashamed?

If they are not ashamed, they certainly should be.

And what is almost worse, is putting all the glowing reviews up there, which are from the ORIGINAL game, not the chopped up version, at least as far as I can tell.

And I certainly don't buy the "some people have trouble downloading LF games, so we chopped it up to help them out" line. Uh huh, chopped it up and are making 3 times the money by being so 'helpful' and 'concerned' about the gamers.

Di

Mr_Russ
Whale Shark
Whale Shark
16,662 Posts

[Post New]by Mr_Russ on Feb 29, 12 3:39 AM

And I certainly don't buy the "some people have trouble downloading LF games, so we chopped it up to help them out" line.
The game has been broken into 3 for the iPhone and back-ported to the pc.

Go to: