granny754
Herring
Herring
304 Posts

Re:Serpent of Isis - BF, don't hide your "Aces"!

[Post New]by granny754 on Feb 27, 09 11:43 AM
I am stuck in the
fisherman's bastion I cannot find the last key I need. The hints say it is somewhere around the bell that is in the floor. I have brightened my screen, used hints, looked at the walkthrough and it still either in a real dark area or is so small I can't see it. If anyone can help me thank you in advance.

frunny
Guppy
Guppy
185 Posts

[Post New]by frunny on Feb 27, 09 12:14 PM
For those having trouble starting the game and played the beta version. Please go to your "Documents and Settings/USERNAME" folder and remove your old SerpentOfIsis player data folder. Then restart the game.

granny754
Herring
Herring
304 Posts

[Post New]by granny754 on Feb 27, 09 12:49 PM
I finally found the key I needed. That scene was way too dark.

lordkalvan
Stingray
Stingray
5,577 Posts

[Post New]by lordkalvan on Feb 27, 09 12:56 PM
picman050967 wrote:
lordkalvan wrote:I don't even get thanks for playing, and I downloaded the beta test directly from BFG.

Well, it does help with my productivity at work today at least.

Beta testing is very appreciated.
The way our DRM (Digital Rights Management) works we do not have control over this as it considers the Beta and the final version the same game. It is the smae mechanism that prevents people from uninstalling and reinstalling to get an additional 60 minute free every time it expires.

This is the way it works today but we plan on improving it in the future.

Picman

I didn't expect to be thanked for beta testing. I was replying to MoreOver who actually gets the "thanks for playing" screen when he/she tries to play the game.

GOOD NEWS: I found where the old save game state was kept, and after deleting it, the game worked! So I bought it (thanks Picman and MoreOver!).

If you have the same problem and use Vista, the folder to delete is:
C:\Users\(your username)\AppData\Roaming\SerpentOfIsis

For WinXP it's probably C:\Documents and Settings\(your username)\SerpentOfIsis

Now to attempt to force myself to put in another 3-4 hours of productive work today, instead of playing Serpent of Isis. Got a deadline breathing down my neck, so I'll be working most of the weekend too.

[Post New]by okletmewin12 on Feb 27, 09 12:58 PM
picman050967 wrote:It is the smae mechanism that prevents people from uninstalling and reinstalling to get an additional 60 minute free every time it expires.

Picman

Hi ~ I actually sent off email to research about this a month or so ago ~ not specific to beta-testing, but if possible to give us a chance to re-demo older games, or at least those games that have a sequel released, ones we might have tried say a year ago, didn't like enuf to buy, but now that a sequel is released and we demo and like the sequel enuf to buy, we might feel the same about original now too, likes and dislikes do change over time ~ I've had this happen more than once, but if i can't demo the original again just to be sure, i won't "blindly" purchase just because i like the new one, especially when i know i didn't like the original enuf to purchase it a year ago

is any of this making sense?

hiding away again to avoid a morph for as long as possible

scotcat
Flounder
Flounder
2,349 Posts

[Post New]by scotcat on Feb 27, 09 1:31 PM
okletmewin12 wrote:
picman050967 wrote:It is the smae mechanism that prevents people from uninstalling and reinstalling to get an additional 60 minute free every time it expires.

Picman

Hi ~ I actually sent off email to research about this a month or so ago ~ not specific to beta-testing, but if possible to give us a chance to re-demo older games, or at least those games that have a sequel released, ones we might have tried say a year ago, didn't like enuf to buy, but now that a sequel is released and we demo and like the sequel enuf to buy, we might feel the same about original now too, likes and dislikes do change over time ~ I've had this happen more than once, but if i can't demo the original again just to be sure, i won't "blindly" purchase just because i like the new one, especially when i know i didn't like the original enuf to purchase it a year ago

is any of this making sense?

hiding away again to avoid a morph for as long as possible

I had the same thought this past year. I was looking around at the older games and some of them I had already played the demo, but forgot what the game was like. In some cases I could go to another game site and play the demo again from them. It would be nice to get two chances to play a demo..... especially if you have CRS syndrome.

lordkalvan
Stingray
Stingray
5,577 Posts

[Post New]by lordkalvan on Feb 27, 09 2:14 PM
Well, for a second chance at a full release game, if you happen to have a second computer (or laptop) available, there's always trying it on that, since it's clear that the game did work on your main computer. Which is what I do if I'm really stumped on whether I liked a game, and don't want to gamble the credit, since I have at least 3 computers in the house at all times. Games that play on Vista don't always play on WinXP and vice versa, and I hardly ever use the laptop unless I'm traveling. I don't *like* playing on computers that aren't my main computer, because that's the only one that is set up so that I'm comfortable (right height, comfortable chair, nice large monitor, wrist gel pads, etc).

ecblisa
Stingray
Stingray
5,078 Posts

[Post New]by ecblisa on Feb 27, 09 2:17 PM
I like this game. Just the right level of difficulty for me, and I love the untimed option. (You must be listening to us, !) My only criticism is the "dark on dark" hidden objects. If you can't tell what it is when you're looking right at it and trying to figure it out, that's no fun.

ruby_leo
Clownfish
Clownfish
764 Posts

[Post New]by ruby_leo on Feb 27, 09 2:35 PM
Wow! Wow! Wow! Thanks Big Fish this is an awesome game. Loving every minute of it.

wendy131uk
Starfish
Starfish
58 Posts

[Post New]by wendy131uk on Feb 27, 09 3:58 PM
Woohoo finally found a game worthy of a game credit

Since RTR nothing has tickled my fancy so my credits were mounting up, I don`t specifically go for HOG but do like my credit to give me more than 2 hours non repetitive gameplay

Thanks

penrose47
Stingray
Stingray
4,597 Posts

[Post New]by penrose47 on Feb 27, 09 4:26 PM
THANKS PICMAN:

for I looked up the BLOG for this game and it sure WILL make it easier to play.

I wish BFG had it for RTR for it would have been easier too.

Happy gaming

PEN

[Post New]by loglady2 on Feb 27, 09 4:51 PM
I am having the same problem with serpent of Isis I have reinstalled 4 times It also knocks out every game in my game manager and then tells me thanks for playing I never played I have uninstalled and then my game manager works I reinstall an nothing works.Called customer support and gave me same its probably you computer Wrong I asked if any one else reported problems and he said no I can see there are some I played in Beta testing and had no problems Any help

Thanks to all of you who suggested I take out the old files from beta testing I finally found them and deleted Game works fine mine were in pladata with the older date from testing not the new download BFG can't seem to find out whats wrong will get back to me on Mon.

Edited on 02/28/2009 at 6:37:39 AM PST

Thanian
Guppy
Guppy
118 Posts

[Post New]by Thanian on Feb 27, 09 5:04 PM
@ loglady2:

Do a search on your computer for AppData and go into the "Roaming" folder and delete the "Serpent of Isis" folder then it should work.

For Vista:
C:\user\YOUR USER NAME\AppData\Roaming\SerpentOfIsis

AppData is probably a hidden folder.

Edited on 02/27/2009 at 5:05:23 PM PST

cesse47
Orca Whale
Orca Whale
25,099 Posts

[Post New]by cesse47 on Feb 27, 09 5:04 PM
loglady2 wrote:I am having the same problem with serpent of Isis I have reinstalled 4 times It also knocks out every game in my game manager and then tells me thanks for playing I never played I have uninstalled and then my game manager works I reinstall an nothing works.Called customer support and gave me same its probably you computer Wrong I asked if any one else reported problems and he said no I can see there are some I played in Beta testing and had no problems Any help
Loglady, sorry you're having this trouble. If you played the Beta version, there's a file you need to delete. Read posts above ... two or three give instructions on where you can find the file and what it's named. Good Luck

[Post New]by orlandomiki on Feb 27, 09 5:06 PM
I was really enjoying this game until.....Can't find the tea bad...No problem boiling the water but I am afraid it is no longer hot as I have no tea bag....Help.....

lordkalvan
Stingray
Stingray
5,577 Posts

[Post New]by lordkalvan on Feb 27, 09 5:15 PM
Take the screwdriver back to your own cabin, and use it on the stuck drawer to get the tea bag.

Seahorse
Seahorse
26 Posts

[Post New]by 0612 on Feb 27, 09 5:40 PM
I feel kind of stupid because everyone seems to be doing so well with this one but I am stuck early on. I am on the train and can't seem to go back to the dining car to use the teabag. I have used the pencil and scratched out the note but don't know what to do now. I have even read the walk through for this part of the game but it was no help. Any suggestions?

calsmom2001
Dogfish
Dogfish
1,785 Posts

[Post New]by calsmom2001 on Feb 27, 09 5:41 PM
I bought this game immediately after finishing the one hour demo and I really enjoyed it. It seems to strike the perfect balance between "find the objects" and "solve the puzzles". Over the years I have grown a bit weary of just HO games and I enjoy the extra challenge of finding pieces of things to put together over various scenes to solve the puzzles. This game, I think, does a better job of that than either of the Mortimer Beckett puzzles (high praise indeed), both of which I thoroughly enjoyed - though neither, sadly, through !

That said, I have to say that I felt the ending was, to some degree, both a letdown and a ripoff. Surely the very talented programmers who developed this game could have devised a better segue to the next chapter. Again, reference the Mortimer Beckett games, both of which stand alone and yet manage to be integrated. It seems to me that the driving force here should be character, rather than just the decision to have another chapter to the game.

All in all, however, I would say that this is my favorite new game since RTR, and it doesn't get a lot better than that. Now that I know the ending I will be playing this game again soon for the sheer fun of it. I don't think you can ask a lot more of a 6.99 game credit.

Congratulations, BigFish, you've done it again!

char1132
Manatee
Manatee
4,059 Posts

[Post New]by char1132 on Feb 27, 09 6:23 PM
LOVE this game. I just finished the train ride to Budapest and looking forward to many hours of playing this game...WAY TO GO

Seahorse
Seahorse
26 Posts

[Post New]by 0612 on Feb 27, 09 7:08 PM
Can anyone tell me how to get to Cabin 2?

Go to: