bribling
Barracuda
Barracuda
3,396 Posts

Re:Reviews for Mystery Case Files: Shadow Lake Collector's Edition

[Post New]by bribling on Nov 21, 12 7:43 AM
I did not mention the drawings in my "review" as there is so much I don't like about this game. Those drawings are ridiculous. When in inventory it is very difficult to tell what they are especially if you have any visual problems. Is this something that was added to make the game seem longer? After having a good deal of aggravation with the first two drawings, I elected to ignore that part of the game altogether. I suppose that the Devs expect us to pull up each drawing in every scene until at last we can match them up. Whoever came up with this idea should be sent to some other task such as brewing coffee. It's not too surprising that someone might have this idea. This particular "match game" has been used in other games. It has always been difficult for me but has never been presented as badly as it appears in this game. I got the first one because the Tutorial was on and I was shown the match. The first match also was rather easy. the next one was not so easy but I eventually matched it. The third one might have been impossible but I put it back in inventory and erased that ridiculous match game from my mind. I think even people with excellent vision may find this tedious at the very least. What were they thinking when they added this feature?

rbickel6
Seahorse
Seahorse
26 Posts

[Post New]by rbickel6 on Nov 21, 12 8:00 AM
lackoo wrote:I know this post will be deleted by the moderators but i have to say :

I could only play 8 minutes on the hardest setting then uninstalled the demo .

I was expecting a BFG quality game and all i received an ERS one . ( ERS = mediocre in my dictionary )

A mute detective when the game features live actors ?

No real extras for the CE .

I don't recommend this game .

I don't see why. You're not saying anything that lots of other people haven't said.

Edited on 11/21/2012 at 8:00:55 AM PST

ingeash
Minnow
Minnow
252 Posts

[Post New]by ingeash on Nov 21, 12 8:22 AM
Okay....well don't know where to start.
I personally didn't like this game because it is not for me up to MCF standard. I am really sorry and I know a lot of work goes in tio these games. For me the detective was just like a errand boy or girl for Cassandra. I felt anyone could have done what the 'detective' did.
And it's very sad. If it had come out without the MCF label I probably would have played it, even bought it as a different temed game and the graphics and everything was good. I will try againand see if I can get more out of it playing in expert mode. I usually find all the mini games haed and I skip loads but the how ever many there were they haven't made an impression with me.
I feel deflated.
The putting together of the pictures in the reading wa constant an awful, hated them as my cursor and me have very little control over them. No I think that those readings will put me off how ever long I leave it.
Think I might play Thirteenth Skull again, I love it hard to pick a favourite, in fact I may play them all again. Can't get Madam Fate to play with Windows 7
I am loathe to post this but I by nature hide under a rock....

[Post New]by Dacher on Nov 21, 12 8:41 AM
The game is fantastic. A little bit borring,because the HOG scenes, but it`s good. The game would be better if they kept the Morphing Object Scenes from MCF Escape from Ravenhearst.
However, this game is the ninth fantastic game ... I cannot wait for the next MCF part...

jsfurman
Seahorse
Seahorse
39 Posts

[Post New]by jsfurman on Nov 21, 12 9:03 AM
I must agree with most posters. Unfortunately, the MAGIC, CREATIVITY and LENGTH of previous MCF games were so much better. As far as I'm concerned, the last really good one was Dire Grove. I'm really disappointed to hear all of this and will probably wait for the SE as well. Guess we'll have to wait another year to see if BFG gets it right again.

diwlaw
Seahorse
Seahorse
34 Posts

[Post New]by diwlaw on Nov 21, 12 9:06 AM
I bought this game because it was MCF and I have, and love all the others, ( even 13 pirates and EFR) I liked the hidden object scenes,but..... that was about it. There are very few puzzles, and they repeat. Some of the puzzles are very touch sensitive, so much that even though I knew what I was doing, I skipped them, because they were too annoying. The art/graphics of this game were not up to the quaility of the others. I miss the rich and detailed graphics of the other games. This one was just washed out and very monochromatic. The acting was OK, I prefer less but that didn't bother me. The feel of the game did, I was no longer working for the queen, and I liked that aspect of the game. I felt this game didn't belong in the MCF series it was nothing like the others, and that isn't a good thing.

weissvonnix
Marlin
Marlin
8,067 Posts

[Post New]by weissvonnix on Nov 21, 12 10:22 AM
Why Shadow Lake?

This won´t be a classical review, more some impressions and mainly critiques l got while playing the game.

lt is still an average game, but it is not at all a MCF as those we got in the past years. At first, l missed the challenge.
The past games were quite more difficult. Shadow Lake is way too easy, and even if the puzzles look new, they aren´t.
Just a variety of already known ones. The psychics mind puzzle is a bit too repetitive. The number of tiles may grow with every reading, but the scheme is always the same. Playing the expert mode didn´t make anything better.
The puzzles were so easy, that it didn´t matter, if you had the instructions or not.

Second, the atmosphere was somehow boring like the fog in this town.
The graphics were nicely done, indeed. But the whole game was impersonal and kind of cold, more precisely "clinical".
lt lacks the wonderful little details (personal items of the characters, which told us something about them or their likings), we could find in other games.
And the more, this one is even missing the characters. There are only two, the psychic and the MD. Too less to make it a really fascinating game. The persons, like the teacher, the warden, his wife a.o. were just mentioned, but they never
got a real character. You know nothing about them, your experiences are reduced to some short notes. ln fact they are randomly changeable.

Next point, you have no choice to walk around between the different locations. You must use the map to change the places. lt may sometimes be a pain to walk back and forth many times just because you forgot something, but being forced to teleport makes this game even more impersonal.
And while you as MD just seem to be a muzzled, pampered gofer, the psychic appears as the overacting glorious hero.
l don´t blame the actress. l guess, if Lea Thompson would have been acting less, l think l had fell asleep. By the way, the expert mode said "no hand-holding". l assume that as a joke! l don´t want to know how much more hand-holding the
casual mode includes. Can it be more at all?

The story itself seemed to be good, by all means: promising. Before playing the game..!
What we got at the end is just a part of a story. Nothing more. An exterminated, mostly unknown Native American tribe, exterminated people of something that isn´t worth to be named town, a Ghost Patrol team, that ís irrelevant and a part of a horn from a fire demon. That´s it.

weissvonnix
Marlin
Marlin
8,067 Posts

[Post New]by weissvonnix on Nov 21, 12 10:24 AM

(continued)

The last thing: l still wonder why this game was named Shadow Lake.
lf l read such a title, l expect that game or story to center around the lake. Here the lake is mentioned two times, when the wardens wife drowned herself in it and at the end, when she took the horn part down to the ground.
For me this doesn´t entitle it to be named Shadow Lake.
And even more l did wonder about the umpteenth version of the Ravenhearst theme music.
There is no connection. Was it so hard to think of something new?

Sorry devs, l appreciate your hard work to make this game, but it was below your standard and for me compared to the Ravenhearst series or Drawn a kind of failure.

Bink_In_AK
Minnow
Minnow
237 Posts

[Post New]by Bink_In_AK on Nov 21, 12 11:10 AM

Edited on 12/03/2012 at 10:33:46 AM PST

OZLelila
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
19 Posts

[Post New]by OZLelila on Nov 21, 12 11:30 AM
I just posted a dissertation on this on the game page; was going to copy and paste it here, but, of course, it's not up yet. So, here's the tl;dr version:

This is an AWESOME game. It's a very organic, realistic adventure game with some hidden object and puzzle elements. It's not the most difficult game I've played, but it is maybe the most engrossing.

The thing I'm gathering from the reviews I've read is that people are expecting another Return to Ravenhurst (which is an awesome game, no arguments from me on that). If that's what you want, I'm afraid you are going to be disappointed. RTR was a puzzle-based HOG Adventure. The story was kind of secondary. In this game, it's all about the story; it's the game aspects that are secondary. Was I expecting something different? Yeah, actually, I was. But what I got was BFG and MCF again pushing this genre to the bleeding edge in concept and technology. And it was great.

My advice: go into this game expecting a different kind of experience than what you've had before. If you just go along for the ride, I bet you'll have fun.

mmaiden42
Stingray
Stingray
5,767 Posts

[Post New]by mmaiden42 on Nov 21, 12 11:36 AM
Hmmm, I, of course, purchased this game sight unseen, as I do all of the MCF games. I'm not sorry I did, but... I missed out on the sale of half priced CEs as I didn't click "Learn more" until after I downloaded the game.
I too, am on the fence about this game. Here are afew things I have taken note of.
The live acting is like watching an old movie where the lips don't match up with the words. I am not a big fan of the live acting in the games in the first place. So it went in the "con" list right away. This doesn't seem to change as I progress in the game. I think that a totally off the wall psychic more on the line of Madame Fate would have played out better in the game. A creepy yet brightly veiled, haggy looking, old crone with a scratchy, screechy, fingernail on a chalkboard voice would have been much better. Add to that brightly colored props to go with the lava lamp. Gaudy, sparkly rings to match crystals sewn into the veils, a multi-hued gazing ball, etc... The kind of stuff in the voodoo shop of the previous MCF. After all, It is a "game". Reality is not necessary.
The scenes, though clearly done, are rather dark and unenticing color wise.
The music is okay and seems to fit well with the story.
The Strategy Guide is so uninformative it might as well not be there. I haven't had to use it real often but when I do, it usually leaves me looking harder than I would like to.
This game doesn't keep me sitting on the edge of my seat wondering what will be in the next HO scene or where I will travel to next. Only back to the Psychic for cards and a reading. Not very exciting. That combined with the fact that you cannot wander to get to the next scene is like being put in a room with only one door and having someone say, “OK, now find your way out”.
I miss the Morphing Objects but I see from reading here that they are coming. But now…Thanks to all of the reviews, and the Quarry section of the Forum, I opened the safe to get the mask and the morphers. I think this is the best part of the game and am grateful that BFG was wise enough to include it. I love, love, love finding the morphers. I didn’t like when the whole game was morphers but I like when there are a couple in each scene. Not only is it fun finding them, it offers an opportunity to really look at the scenes and appreciate the great graphics that we all have come to expect and sometimes take for granted .
I personally think that BFG has dropped the ball on this one and am hoping that next year will bring us back to the MCF format that worked so well in the past. Madame Fate, RTR, EFR, Dire Grove.
I will continue to play this game until the end and am hoping it gets better. I am at about 40 some %.
I may pop back in to write some more as I am hoping for an improvement in the rest of the game. I am sure there are those of you who absolutely love it or absolutely hate it. I am just in the middle right now.
This, for me, is not a "gotta have it" game even though I purchased it with out trying it just because it is "MCF". Maybe next year will be a "try it before you buy it" year. Aww, who am I kidding? I will buy it sight unseen again, just as I always do and will just have to hope for the best. I know it can happen.
Give it a whirl. You might find it to be right up your alley.

Edited on 11/23/2012 at 12:59:59 PM PST

DeeBeth
Minnow
Minnow
202 Posts

[Post New]by DeeBeth on Nov 21, 12 11:43 AM
This is a review of the completed game. Since many others have done excellent reviews I'll focus more on feedback for the developer.

-I liked how everything connected to the story and that there was at least some logic in what you were doing.
-I liked the matching the pictures. It was unique (except for EFR) and a nice change.
-I liked the way the HOS were done.
-I liked one of the early puzzles with the wires.
-I liked the strategy guide.
-I liked how the strategy guide kept track of how far you've progressed in the game.
-I liked the overall story line. It was interesting.

Dislikes:

-The game became repetitive. While the HOS and pictures were unique there wasn't enough variety in gameplay overall.
-Didn't like the moving jigsaws. I completed them but got frustrated doing so.
-Not enough mini-games/puzzles. Needed those to help break up some of the monotony of the gameplay.
-the music...where's the great music that RTR and DG had? Music was either non-exsistent or pathetic.
-the color scheme. Got tired of looking at brown/gray scenes.
-The bonus game -HORRIBLE. Very disappointed in the bonus game.
-the ending. WOW. That was probably one of the worst endings of any game I've played. I almost had to close my ears and put my hands over my ears.

Overall:

This is an average game that would be great as an SE for someone looking for something different. Unfortunately it does not even come close to living up to its predessecors. All of which, including EFR and 13th skulls, I've enjoyed.

OZLelila
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
19 Posts

[Post New]by OZLelila on Nov 21, 12 1:23 PM
Okay: here's part 1 of the dissertation. Apologies if you read it on the game page.

Wow, I am SO surprised by the negative reviews on this one, because I'm here to tell you...it is AWESOME! I have not finished the game yet, so there is a possibility it turns horrible past where I am, but I kinda doubt that.

What is most impressive about this game is the organic feel it has. By that, I mean it feels like you are actually trying to solve this mystery. It does make sense that you would have to look through several rooms to find a list of objects or that you would have to move stuff around to get things to look like they did. (I've played other HOG/Adventure games where you go to a place from history...and IT'S EXACTLY THE SAME AS IT WAS 100 YEARS AGO! Huh??) If you have to open a door, it makes sense that you would have to fix the lock, as opposed to doing some random puzzle. Or rewiring a fuse box by actually rewiring it, instead of playing some wire-based pipe puzzle. No, these aren't the hardest puzzles I've encountered in these games (EFR had one I didn't even know WHAT to do, much less how to do it), but they make sense in the story that's being told. And yes, the harder ones do have instructions, they just don't automatically pop up. You have to click the question mark.

I found the hint system very helpful actually in that that's exactly what it was; a HINT. A push in the right direction. Its recharge time (on Casual anyway) was quite fast; there's nothing I hate more than being stuck and having to twiddle my thumbs waiting for the hint to recharge. And while there are some sparkles on Casual, they didn't scream at you like they do in some games.

cont...

OZLelila
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
19 Posts

[Post New]by OZLelila on Nov 21, 12 1:25 PM
Dissertation part II. Again,apologies if you read this on the game page.

I've not had to use the Strategy Guide, but I did take a look at it, and I can see why some people wouldn't like it as it's not a straight-up walk-through. Like the hint system, it tells you enough so you can move on. I know this was an issue in EFR; but, like I suspect will be true in this case, I found it to be enough for my needs. I needed a STRATEGY to get out of the spot I was in, and it gave me that. In some ways, I like it a lot better than a straight-up walk-through; I just finished the CE of "Redemption Cemetery: Grave Testimony" and it has a walk-through as its strategy guide. When I did use it, it was really kind of frustrating and confusing to try and figure out where I was and what I was missing, especially since the walk-through didn't always go in the exact same order I did. Flipping right to a picture of what I'm looking at and giving me a hint? Honestly, that's all I'm looking for.

The art style is different than the previous MCF games; instead of Victorian postcards we have a very photo-realistic environment. Again, that makes sense in this being an organic-feeling game. It works well, and I like it.

I like the journal this time around. It flips right to where you need to be and actually records stuff you need to remember (as opposed to EFR; the journal was the biggest fail in that game).The music and the sound effects are very good at setting the mood; it's been a long time since a game has creeped me out this much.

The live-action actors are well integrated into the game; again, it feels like you're there, as opposed to being pulled out of the action in a cut scene.

OZLelila
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
19 Posts

[Post New]by OZLelila on Nov 21, 12 1:26 PM
And the final part of the dissertation...

My only real complaint about this game (I'm sorry to say): Lea Thompson. While she is better than your average no-name video game actor, her performance is still rather stiff and stilted. Maybe she gets better later in the game, but so far, I'm not impressed.

If you're expecting another "Return to Ravenherst" (and I love that game too!), you're probably going to be disappointed. What we have here is a true adventure game with some HOG and puzzle elements; if you go into it expecting that, I think you'll really like it.

Overall, I would say Big Fish and MCF have done it again: they've pushed the Point-and-Click Adventure/HOG/Puzzle genre to the bleeding edge of concept and technology and showed us a good time while they were doing it. I can't wait to get back to playing it!

[Post New]by gamineannie on Nov 21, 12 1:29 PM
Another Thanksgiving rolls around, and the entire family gathers again at my house - including my favorite Uncle Felix. Yes, it is once again time for the annual MCF marathon solve-a-thon!
As Uncle Felix once again tries to relive his all-time ultimate touchdown in Return to Ravenhearst, where the plot, puzzles and superior graphics won the day for the studio team, it is just like real life - the reenactment has lost some important element. The puzzles have lost something every single year since RTR. The strategy guide is a cruel joke - pictures with marked circles may make it much easier for us all to curse at the lack of real assistance in our own language, but do nothing to add value to the game. The bonus chapter is once again inserted in the rest of the game, making it difficult to even recognize that one has stumbled upon it. The bonus action of morphing objects is literally locked up - I had to have the solution spelled out for me, because I would never have found it on my own - and even the useless SG told me I was 'on my own'. I had to wait for this 'thrill' until after the main game, as I did not find the solution until then, making it necessary to do a tedious revisitation of all the previous scenes to 'gather' my bonus content.
The game starts out with some humorous elements, that unfortunately dissipate into the pervasive fog of the game. Graphics are mostly clear, although held to mostly gray tones, but some of the hidden objects are too small and the smaller they are, the more they seem to blend into the monotone of the background. If you don't like junkpiles, you will find plenty of those here, but some of the 'scenes' are more cleverly done.
Most of the 'puzzles' are not up to the RTR standards either, although there is one variation of the standard wiring puzzle that I quite enjoyed - heaven knows it took long enough to solve, as there was only trial and error to get me going to the eventual solution.
If you suffer from the slightest amount of motion sickness, I recommend avoiding the frequent "trips down Cassandra's synapses" mini-game. While technically a simple jigsaw-type puzzle, the use of moving bits of pictures, coupled with the erratic motion of the moving pieces and the difficulty of fusing any two pieces together, led me to having to skip them all after the first two. And an overlong wait for the skip button to fill here! I hadn't suffered motion sickness for years prior to this game!
A refreshing glimpse of Madame Fate was a welcome relief from the over-acting of the live actors - I really only enjoyed the performances of the TV host and the prisoner. Everyone else was so over the top, as to be less enjoyable. The plethora of cut-scenes made it very hard to maintain any sort of game play momentum. And the mouse controls would disappear for the entire scene, so that there was no 'skipping' them.
Would I recommend this game? Yes, but only the standard version. The bonus (unhelpful SG, locked morphing extras, confusing bonus chapter, greytone wallpapers, etc.) for twice the price is not worth it, in my opinion. In the old days, if you paid extra for bonus elements, you got them - you didn't have to work for them.

hezekia
Starfish
Starfish
44 Posts

[Post New]by hezekia on Nov 21, 12 1:47 PM
weissvonnix wrote:Why Shadow Lake?

This won´t be a classical review, more some impressions and mainly critiques l got while playing the game.

lt is still an average game, but it is not at all a MCF as those we got in the past years. At first, l missed the challenge.
The past games were quite more difficult. Shadow Lake is way too easy, and even if the puzzles look new, they aren´t.
Just a variety of already known ones. The psychics mind puzzle is a bit too repetitive. The number of tiles may grow with every reading, but the scheme is always the same. Playing the expert mode didn´t make anything better.
The puzzles were so easy, that it didn´t matter, if you had the instructions or not.

Second, the atmosphere was somehow boring like the fog in this town.
The graphics were nicely done, indeed. But the whole game was impersonal and kind of cold, more precisely "clinical".
lt lacks the wonderful little details (personal items of the characters, which told us something about them or their likings), we could find in other games.
And the more, this one is even missing the characters. There are only two, the psychic and the MD. Too less to make it a really fascinating game. The persons, like the teacher, the warden, his wife a.o. were just mentioned, but they never
got a real character. You know nothing about them, your experiences are reduced to some short notes. ln fact they are randomly changeable.

Next point, you have no choice to walk around between the different locations. You must use the map to change the places. lt may sometimes be a pain to walk back and forth many times just because you forgot something, but being forced to teleport makes this game even more impersonal.
And while you as MD just seem to be a muzzled, pampered gofer, the psychic appears as the overacting glorious hero.
l don´t blame the actress. l guess, if Lea Thompson would have been acting less, l think l had fell asleep. By the way, the expert mode said "no hand-holding". l assume that as a joke! l don´t want to know how much more hand-holding the
casual mode includes. Can it be more at all?

The story itself seemed to be good, by all means: promising. Before playing the game..!
What we got at the end is just a part of a story. Nothing more. An exterminated, mostly unknown Native American tribe, exterminated people of something that isn´t worth to be named town, a Ghost Patrol team, that ís irrelevant and a part of a horn from a fire demon. That´s it.

[Post New]by bludwic on Nov 21, 12 1:49 PM
Sad to say I am so disappointed! I am a huge MCF fan. This game was boring. I did NOT enjoy the story line or Lea Thompson or the map. I love morphing objects BUT wanted to find them during game play ..... not after finishing story and unlocking access to morphing objects in the bonus chapter. Oh well, hope next year brings MCF back to a scary old haunted house with secret passages and tunnels and more mini games and puzzles and crazy characters and mystery and more inventory items that the player must figure out how to use ..... forget the map and live actors and too many directions. Let it be a challenge I spend hours poring over. Oh well, 365 days to go.....

yogagirl50
Starfish
Starfish
46 Posts

[Post New]by yogagirl50 on Nov 21, 12 2:07 PM
It's fascinating to read the variety of reviews. As someone who had been buying every CE until a few months ago but stopped out of boredom, I love the innovations of this game. Some details are less to my liking than others, but we can always count on MCF to extend the Hidden Object concept.

I especially enjoyed looking through multiple areas for the items on the list. It made the game feel much more alive than the constant static screens we usually get.

Oh, and thanks to the developers for the Sierra references! Glad somebody out there still remembers them.

[Post New]by mcfjunkie38 on Nov 21, 12 2:14 PM
As evident by my piddly "sea anemone" status, I'm not a familar voice on these forums. But that is not to say that I haven't been lurking here for many years. I was beyond excited to see this years selection straying from the tired (in my opinion) Ravenhearst plotline. However I have to be honest, like many others I am disappointed.

To be fair there are many aspects of this game that I appreciate. The quality of cinematography and the videos are so much improved from the early years of Dire Grove's "Blair Witch" appearance. I think Lea was a great addition and I appreciated how she portrayed the eccentric Cassandra. And I like the developers' work on the connectivity of the plot and characters. But there are still issues left unanswered: Did Ellen really kill herself? Who the heck is SAM and why is his house the only one we cannot enter on the map? I'm still scratching my head about the "Ghost Patrol" group; other than bringing Cassandra with them their videos and presence really served no purpose. I was expecting to really act as the new "Ghost Expert" in their absence and have to utilize their equipment more. Instead we used them 3 times and I just got the ba-jesus scared out of me a few times - kudos on that, though.

Ultimately I kept waiting for more. Where was the pirate ship that rises from the swamp? Where was the added bonus chapter game? Is a carnival ticket all we really get? I finished this game on "Expert" in less than 5 hours -with a break for lunch. I remember being pleasantly frustrated with "13th Skull", furiously making notes to keep track and even then getting lost. This game did not offer enough freedom for that luxury. Your psychic seemingly holds your hand from place to place, and hidden objects are often in plain view. I did appreaciate that they spanned several scenes, but even so I felt they were fairly easy to find. The morphing objects were just obvious enough to find easily too - took me less than 10 minutes after I finished the game. The drawings were a nice touch. But if anything, I found that part to be one of the easier elements of the game; and these drawings certainly didn't warrant easier or fewer puzzles throughout.

Sorry BFG. I wanted so much to like this and visually I do; but it's just not up to par for this Master Detective. Overall it was lackluster for me - I feel like I could play this game successfully half asleep. May as well rename me Master Gopher because that's all I did.

Go to: